Video game about Rakatas/Infinite Empire

HetfieldJ

So I had an idea (which sounds probably better in my head than in reality but still) and I wanted to have your opinions about it. And sorry in advance for my english, it's not my natural language.

The biggest problem with making a new game in the Star Wars universe is that it'll probably be the same as the others game that came before. So I thought it'd be a nice change to change the setting and have the game take place in the Infinte Empire. This way the culture will be different, the weapons and ways of fighting will be different, the characters too and as a result the possibilities for story-telling will be bigger as it won't be at 100% a real Star Wars game, just the same universe but in an era so far away that you can make big changes.

You could play a powerful Rakata trying to become the Emperor or another Rakata who discovers the light side and battles the Empire from within or even an other species who fights the Rakatas and comes up with the plague that destroys them.

In fact, it doesn't HAVE TO be entitled as a Star Wars game (since the setting might confuse some people). You could make the game and say nothing about Star Wars, just references and inside jokes about failed attempts at creating a powerful new type of weapons (lightsabers).

Anyway, I thought it'd be a good idea to make a great game with the Star Wars universe and it would be a refreshing and completely original one. It might even do some good to Bioware :)

A novel would be great, but a game? what marketing value would it have? the Star Wars icon, the meaning of the Star Wars: the Jedi, the Sith, the Force, all of that would be basically removed, I highly doubt it would do well in such a market and would do better as a novel.

That's why I said you don't need to say outright it is a Star Wars game this way you could sell it like anything other game with the weight of the Star Wars brand.

Even if you make the game as part of the Star Wars universe because only the name can make money you can put forward the fact that it's a never-seen-before look into the Star Wars universe. I only speak for myself but as much as I love Star Wars and the idea of Sith vs Jedi and the concept of the Force, something totally different would be a joy.

That's why I said you don't need to say outright it is a Star Wars game this way you could sell it like anything other game with the weight of the Star Wars brand.

Still doesn't mean it'll sell well. Especially not since that time period is still being created, and using Star Wars materials and content without calling it Star Wars would lead to confusion.

Edited by Fyurii