Is SWTOR dying?

Turlinde

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not dead yet but Im pretty sure it die the day this release..

Check this out

yep

people talk about wow killer, well that game is gonna be the swtor killer. After watching some of the action in the end it and thinking about my experiences in ilum i cant wait for my sub to run out lol.

I have to agree with the posters that say PvP is just a non-starter. 3 Buggy Warzones and a planet where everyone camps on or two laggy spots.

I also have to agree with the poster who said the questing is first rate. Dialogue excellent. What we have here though is not an MMO. It's a single player game with grouping. I was kind of hoping this would be an actual MMO. Had I bought this game off the shelf as a single player game, I would have been quite happy with it.

I've had fun, but got up to 50 and pvp queues take longer and longer to get a good game.

I don't think SWTOR will die, it will just get down to a population of hard core fanbois, servers will consolidate and since the monthly income will decline, there won't be budget for the addition of a lot of new features.

I do have to say though that I am seeing the trend. Most of the people in our guild have moved on to other games, light server loads, the xfire numbers would only confirm what I am seeing when I play the game.

For me, it's just not fun anymore, and I'm out. May dip my head in from time to time, but I'll throw this on the pile with the rest of the also-rans.

They need to start merging servers. There has been a noticeable dropoff in end game active players. However, using fleet as an accurate gauge is wrong. Lots of people are playing lower level alts and are scattered around on different planets and FPs/WZs. Even still numbers are dropping in prime time.

They need to come up with a viable way to allow some empire players to re-roll republic to balance out because there's still major imbalance across many servers. Merging them is going to be even more noticeable.

Edited by Ozzone

I think the game is dying. I am PvP officer of a PvP/PvE guild and what i see is:

- PvE players log in 1-2 days per week for raiding

- PvP players with BM gear do not login at all.

- PvP players fresh BM login only for daily quest.

- New lv 50 stay actually a lil longer after they make their daily, but still talking how bored they are.

Population on the fleet is now half the numbers from what it was. Warzone queues longer..

Then you have to ask yourself why is that?

1. Warzones - BMs see no point to play cause they are not much of a challenge to them. No full premades not rated games. Also after 3-4 games they all feel bored from doing the same thing.

2. World PvP - This is something that most of players find a joke here. Only wpvp is in Ilum and if their plan was to make the worst wpvp in MMO history i think they did it:

-no faction balance

- no point (only daily quest)

- fights are only caping the republic players

- lag of objectives with rewards all around the map and more starting bases to slit the people from that insane lag fest

Sadly BioWare are to blind to make a major changes and bring people to their game, cause world PvP is different every time and you do not get bored quickly.

3. Arena - some people like to see this in TOR. I am actually ok with it as long as there is no 2v2 cause it's hard to balance.

* Game engine suck and it needs a lot of work!

And most important thing is BioWare are doing not much to change the game to profit. As a Star Wars and BioWare fan all this is shocking to me - how is that possible?

Those people from EA need to spend some money for their game or else things are going bad. I just hope people on top stop being blind and help the game, so they help them self and find profit. :eek:

Except for World of Warcraft, and EVE.

eve is the only mmo to consistently and steadily increase its subscription base every month since its release.

wow had a huge spike at its initial release... then it only saw significant population changes when xpacs were released. since wrath it saw a steady decline prior to cataclysm, which stabilized it, and it has since been declining once again.

not sure why eve is successfully drawing in new players on a steady basis where others aren't.

it might be because its a sandbox type game, maybe its because of the cutthroat nature of its gameplay, or the in-game economy. it could also be because of the way every xpac ccp produces is free.

whatever the reason, i personally think eve is the best mmo ive played yet... but it just takes too much time to excel in for me to justify paying the monthly fee (i can't get on enough to feel like ive accomplished anything of value in it).

No, your comment exposed your own willful ignorance and complete ineptitude.

It's in the game. They already developed it. Pulling this "You're too impatient! You have to wait for them to finish working on it" nonsense is just that - nonsense.

IT WAS IN BETA. IT WORKED IN BETA. What is there to wait for!?

I told you.

you should learn to read.

It doesnt matter that it was already in the game. Once it came out, to go back in, it had to pass through their proceedures.

Period.

There is no discussion. No amount of raging, nothing, that will alter this fact. Corporations do things by the system, particularly software developers. The fact that the code is 100% complete is meaningless. Try to grasp that.

It will still spend weeks or months going through internal QA, testing, test builds, all sorts of stuff.

WATCH the video preview of Patch 1.2 from WEEKS ago - the movable/scalable UI..

ALREADY WORKS.

They SHOW them using it.

That wont change the fact it isnt going to be in the game until it passes through the system.

Period.

eve is the only mmo to consistently and steadily increase its subscription base every month since its release.

wow had a huge spike at its initial release... then it only saw significant population changes when xpacs were released. since wrath it saw a steady decline prior to cataclysm, which stabilized it, and it has since been declining once again.

not sure why eve is successfully drawing in new players on a steady basis where others aren't.

it might be because its a sandbox type game, maybe its because of the cutthroat nature of its gameplay, or the in-game economy. it could also be because of the way every xpac ccp produces is free.

whatever the reason, i personally think eve is the best mmo ive played yet... but it just takes too much time to excel in for me to justify paying the monthly fee (i can't get on enough to feel like ive accomplished anything of value in it).

Eve bled about 50,000 subs in the last year.

Big microtransaction debacle and the cutthroat nature of the game were cited as number 1 and number 2 reasons people quit and never come back, right out of the mouths of the CCP guys at Dragon*Con.

They lost so much income they had to fire all 200 people at their US office in Atlanta, shut down the WoD MMO, and cut back White Wolf's publishing schedule to 1/3 of what it was originally planned to be and cut swaths of staff at White Wolf too.

EVE built up steadily from launch because there was simply nowhere to go BUT up. They only had 20,000 people or so at launch.

I told you.

you should learn to read.

It doesnt matter that it was already in the game. Once it came out, to go back in, it had to pass through their proceedures.

Period.

There is no discussion. No amount of raging, nothing, that will alter this fact. Corporations do things by the system, particularly software developers. The fact that the code is 100% complete is meaningless. Try to grasp that.

It will still spend weeks or months going through internal QA, testing, test builds, all sorts of stuff.

WATCH the video preview of Patch 1.2 from WEEKS ago - the movable/scalable UI..

ALREADY WORKS.

They SHOW them using it.

That wont change the fact it isnt going to be in the game until it passes through the system.

Period.

Is this some kind of joke? To be removed, it had to pass through some system too you know. The question is WHY? Why turn your MMO into a joke by removing basic fundamental features every other credible MMO has?

And why continue to keep such a feature out of the game, continuing to expose your MMO to ridicule and causing your fanboys to embarrass themselves on your forums by defending your own ineptitude with posts like this?

Beta WAS the QA. QA testing showed it worked. The only way that means "remove the working feature!" is if their process is utterly incompetent.

Edited by EternalFinality

Amazing how people can state that the game isn't dying!

1.2 is make it or break it for alot of people... there's no denying in that.

There are other games coming out this year and making an MMO these days, not too hard with all the other previous MMO's being out there, ready for pillaging.

Ultimately I believe the downfall of BioWare here is that EA is in the back pulling strings and/or sitting on the chest full of gold coins.

I'm sure, that if given full control over SWTOR, EA would force it to be developed for console and then make a horrible port for us PC users at a later point :p

Personally I found the TORtanic thread pretty spot on, sad but true.

The decline of players accurately broadcasting playtime with Xfire, doesn't account for 100% of the playerbase, but damn sure gives us a general idea of where the game is going.

Do EV/KP Nightmare mode, 2 short ops--> 2 days being casual.

Do daily/weekly pvp quests if newly dinged R60 and still need BM gear.

Do normal dailies Ilum/Belsavis for PVE upgrades and/or some crap mounts.

Start another alt and do the things above.

That should cover it right????!

Hope 1.2 will fix and add things to do, but I fear it will just fix one thing and add two more bugs or render whole planets useless, again.

I submit that most 50s are currently leveling alts more than they were at the beginning. A lot more alt play as people burn through the content. And hey, when there's an expansion, you have your main ready to go! Amazing. Logic, it is an astounding thing.

Anyone that says tera is any threat to this game is on crack, tera is failing in asia, and haveing done some beta tonite rofl, that game is beyond stupid, lol gw2 will have a impact but tera rofl no way just another stupid dink game with some us developers trying to polish a turd.

Not dying at all, im having an amazing time on my server and queue times are no existant, groups easy to find.

That's a terrible argument. Just because you like the game doesn't mean it isn't dying.

Let's clear this up now: saying "I like the game" does NOT mean the game isn't dying

Amazing how people can state that the game isn't dying!

1.2 is make it or break it for alot of people... there's no denying in that.

There are other games coming out this year and making an MMO these days, not too hard with all the other previous MMO's being out there, ready for pillaging.

Ultimately I believe the downfall of BioWare here is that EA is in the back pulling strings and/or sitting on the chest full of gold coins.

I'm sure, that if given full control over SWTOR, EA would force it to be developed for console and then make a horrible port for us PC users at a later point :p

Personally I found the TORtanic thread pretty spot on, sad but true.

The decline of players accurately broadcasting playtime with Xfire, doesn't account for 100% of the playerbase, but damn sure gives us a general idea of where the game is going.

Do EV/KP Nightmare mode, 2 short ops--> 2 days being casual.

Do daily/weekly pvp quests if newly dinged R60 and still need BM gear.

Do normal dailies Ilum/Belsavis for PVE upgrades and/or some crap mounts.

Start another alt and do the things above.

That should cover it right????!

Hope 1.2 will fix and add things to do, but I fear it will just fix one thing and add two more bugs or render whole planets useless, again.

i love how people are quick to try to blame EA like bioware had no say in anything goin on. They had alot of time, a big budget and an ip that offers almost limitless possibilities. U cant honestly say bioware didnt drop the ball on this one.

way to not address the rest of his post.

man, thats inconvenient.

You're an imbecile. He had no argument whatsoever. He assumed that because things are fine for his FACTION (not even his server) that it's fine for both factions on each server. Nowhere did he offer any facts or data that could prove the game isn't dying.

Edited by dschlan

Ah, untrue. WoW took a pretty big nosedive after launch (like, an almost 50% population bleed) for about four months. It kicked back up (significantly) when the game caught on. The server queues were arguably worse about 5 months in (at least on Bleeding Hollow) than they were at launch.

And, despite that, WoW is the exception to every rule. It reached levels of success that no MMO had even thought possible, it broke every rule doing it. You cant use it as an example, because the perfect storm required to replicate WoW's success might never, ever happen again.

The industry is JUST starting to wake up to that fact.

And EVE?

Please, dont tout EVE to me. Having sat through all of CCPs panels at Dragon*Con and socalized with those guys for a few hours afterwards, EVE...

EVE wasn't remotely a success for more than 2 years. They lost bags of investor money until the game finally ticked up. Yeah, the game didnt suffer a big "population die off" after the first month or two - because it would have been hard to notice if it did. The pop numbers were so low they couldnt go anywhere BUT up.

This is so true... a success like WoW will probably never happen again... and EVE was/is anything but successful, it's putting along (with what 10k subs?) thanks to the large population of masochists who for some reason actually enjoy the game. I played it for awhile... 3 months or so and I must say it was one of the worst/least enjoyable and punishing gaming experiences I've ever had... summed up EVE = Math + Suffering.

And as far as the game dying? My server has been steadily increasing in population... not declining as people would have you believe. Seeing more and more people in Fleet and pretty much every planet I go to. Had no problems PvPing and finding groups, even really late at night.

Edited by Iboga

This is so true... a success like WoW will probably never happen again... and EVE was/is anything but successful, it's putting along (with what 10k subs?) thanks to the large population of masochists who for some reason actually enjoy the game. I played it for awhile... 3 months or so and I must say it was one of the worst/least enjoyable and punishing gaming experiences I've ever had... summed up EVE = Math + Suffering.

Uh, EVE has around 350k subs, and is one of the only MMO's to have steady growth post WOW.

Anything but successful? It's an indie game on a small budget that puts most AAA cookie cutter MMO's to shame.

"January 2011 EVE reached over 360,000 subscribers. [113] Monthly cost of subscription varies by plan and country from 10,95 to 14,95 US dollars or Euros. This means that CCP gets monthly revenues between 3,9 - 5,4 million euros and 46,8 - 64,8 million euros per year. As average revenue per subscriber is only known within a range of payment options and about 40% pay in US dollars, which has a lower value than the Euro, these numbers are only estimates." - source: google.

10k subs? rofl.

Edited by Jebi

Uh, EVE has around 350k subs, and is one of the only MMO's to have steady growth post WOW.

Anything but successful? It's an indie game on a small budget that puts most AAA cookie cutter MMO's to shame.

"January 2011 EVE reached over 360,000 subscribers. [113] Monthly cost of subscription varies by plan and country from 10,95 to 14,95 US dollars or Euros. This means that CCP gets monthly revenues between 3,9 - 5,4 million euros and 46,8 - 64,8 million euros per year. As average revenue per subscriber is only known within a range of payment options and about 40% pay in US dollars, which has a lower value than the Euro, these numbers are only estimates." - source: google.

10k subs? rofl.

Regardless of how many subs it has... EVE is not INDIE... not in the least... and your quote is over a year ago. I can tell you, in the time I played I hardly ever ran into anyone, never more than 1 or 2 people in areas with less than a dozen in the chat channels (P.S. I know the game is huge, but come on...). The game DOES NOT HAVE 300k subs... maybe counting all the freebies, that aren't being played sure... but active paying subscriptions, no way in heck bud...

Edited by Iboga