Intel Core i7 and nVIDIA GeForce RTX

KaoRocket

I'm thinking about a new gaming computer. I have to choose between Intel Core i7 8700 or 9700K and nVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 or 2070. Is there anyone having these and could tell me how SWTOR runs for them? If not, will I be able to play on at least very high settings and without significant fps drops (maybe excluding warzones and operations) even with the weaker components? (I have no idea how powerful they are, currently I have i7 6700HQ and GTX 960 and on almost ultra settings my fps in no-special-effects areas like Dromund Kaas stronghold is above 100 but when I go outside where it's raining it drops to 40-50 fps.) I would like to always (again, excluding warzones and operations) stay above 60 fps without lowering the settings, is it possible at all? And if someone managed to achieve that, what processor and graphic card do you have?

I'll jump on the "it's overkill" bandwagon. I have a laptop with an i7-9750H and a 1660 Ti and run it at Ultra (with some tweaks just to save on some performance). Just to reiterate, those are the mobile versions of those processors. Desktop versions should have even less of a problem, or so I'd like to think, but I don't know the stats of the CPUs you listed off the top of my head. Oh, and if framerate really matters, the last time I checked it, I was hovering right around 60. Then again, my screen is only 60Hz. *shrugs* Edited by Automnal

I'm thinking about a new gaming computer. I have to choose between Intel Core i7 8700 or 9700K and nVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 or 2070. Is there anyone having these and could tell me how SWTOR runs for them?

I have a 9700k (stock) / RTX 2080 FE and have all the settings maxed out (aside from shadow map resolution) running at 2560 x 1440 / 144Hz with no issues. See some dips with the in-game fps counter to ~120 depending on how busy the scene is that the game is rendering.

Shouldn't really be an issue with the 2060 or 2070 either, guess it depends on your screen resolution you intend to play at.

Total overkill for an 8 year old game. You'll be fine either way you go.

...with a 15 year old engine, with minor improvements along the way. But that is what we have to work with and single core speeds are important for such a game, being so far behind the times in tech terms.

I'm thinking about a new gaming computer. I have to choose between Intel Core i7 8700 or 9700K and nVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 or 2070. Is there anyone having these and could tell me how SWTOR runs for them? If not, will I be able to play on at least very high settings and without significant fps drops (maybe excluding warzones and operations) even with the weaker components? (I have no idea how powerful they are, currently I have i7 6700HQ and GTX 960 and on almost ultra settings my fps in no-special-effects areas like Dromund Kaas stronghold is above 100 but when I go outside where it's raining it drops to 40-50 fps.) I would like to always (again, excluding warzones and operations) stay above 60 fps without lowering the settings, is it possible at all? And if someone managed to achieve that, what processor and graphic card do you have?

I personally went with the Intel i9 9900 / MSI Mother board / and nVidia GTX 1080. Also if you don't have a SSD you might consider that as well.

As for the application for SWTOR ... yes it is over kill. However, if the game ever changes in the future ... OR if you find your self "needing more" (for whatever the application) .. you will have it. IMO it's easier to spend a little more now (if it's possible) and have a really nice system that will handle the job over a longer span of time than to try to come up with EVEN MORE later on.

OH !! Make sure that what ever mother board you choose is compatible with your new cpu . That is also another big deal too. From what research I did ... MSI does as good (if not better) than some other brands like Gigabyte. And they are considerably less $$$.

I hope this helps.

The word overkill should not exist because no computer is able to play this game at 60 fps with zero drops in frame times.

Specs: r7 2700x, 2×16GB ddr4 3200mhz cl15, x470 Taichi, Gtx 1080, nvme ssd 970 evo 500GB, ssd 860 evo 1TB, ssd 850 pro 500GB, 2×4TB WD Blue, Dark Power Pro 11 550 Watt.

You can increase resolution and lod if you have hundreds of fps. At some point in the past it was possible to play swtor at 16k. Today it is only possible to play the game at 12k with around 30 fps and less, at 10k with 60 fps and less, at 5k with 90 fps and less and so on. If you have more than 8GB vram you could probably play at 16k today.

Edited by Gelehrterr

I have to choose between Intel Core i7 8700 or 9700K and nVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 or 2070...... currently I have i7 6700HQ and GTX 960

Either the 8700 or 9700 should work just fine in SWTOR - you should be able to even get playable FPS in PvP and OPs. Or you could get a new Ryzen 3600/3700/3800/X if you want to join the cool kids. (My next upgrade will be Ryzen.)

SWTOR is very CPU intensive and works best with modern CPUs with fast clock speeds. The i7-6700HQ is a mobile processor and it's relatively slow compared to the others.

Also, the RX 2060 or 2070 should be just fine at 1920x1080 (the 2070 should even handle 1440p) or you could opt for a new AMD 5700/XT (again, like the cool kids. :) )

One tip about SWTOR. Since it is very CPU limited, the best idea, after you done the upgrade, is to set you graphics to low and observe what basic FPS you get in the parts of the game you want to play (Ctrl-Shift-F for FPS display).

Then you can crank the graphics up until the graphics settings start to affect the basic FPS (or even a bit more if there's lots of FPS headroom).

Note that FPS (Frames Per Second) will always drop in PvP and OPs (and other busy times) but this is because of the CPU, not the GPU.

P.S. I'm currently running an Intel i5-6600 which works very well most of the time. I'm almost always over 60 fps (1920x1080). (I don't do PvP and haven't done an OP in a long time, but it also works "playably" in World Boss groups.) That's combined with an older power mad and noisy AMD R9 390, which is also due to be replaced soon - but the GPU doesn't matter as much. (Graphics settings are basically "high" to "very high".)

Edited by JediQuaker

lmao game isnt even 64-bit so these threads are funny

you can buy a toaster today and play on max settings

also the fact that it's still 64 bit is insane when every major place is making 64 now a requirement.

Edited by WaveRun

Thank you all for your replies. :)

(And even if it's an overkill for SWTOR I also want to be able to play other games :rak_03:)

That was kind of where I was going. I would continue to do as much research as you think you need. Also... you can check the various reviews by some of the top game/equipment publisher out there. Some of them are pretty good !

Of course the final choices are up to you!

Best of luck !