Mouseover Healing

Malicity

Maybe with your slow reaction-time it is. Try to learn & use keybinds.

In before the "how can I keybind 16 man operations?QQ". Here you would use your mouse, and trust you, if you are even half decent and read the fight instead of only watching the healthbars (aka, start casting before damage is done), you will be fine.

A mouse click or a bind for a certain party member, there's no difference. It's still a step that can be skipped.

Need to heal a person with mouseovers? Move mouse to person needing heals. Press heal button. Person is healed.

Healing person with keybinds? Look to see what # that person is, press the button that corresponds to that raid slot, press heal button. Person is healed.

Healing as it is now? Move mouse to person needing heals, stop, click on the person. Press heal button. Person is healed.

The other BIG benefit to mouseover healing is that you can keep the boss targeted so you know who is being attacked by looking at target of target (which actually isn't in game either, yet). Not a big deal if it's just the tank, but if someone gets a random target for an attack that can't be avoided, you know that person is about to take damage so you either put a shield on them, a hot on them, or start queuing up a heal to land right as the damage takes place.

Being a good healer is using all the tools at your disposal. Not having those tools makes you a worse healer. Fact.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People there is external software you can use to bind macro on your mouse keys case you haven't heard.

Razer gives software for its input devices exactly for that cause & its not that hard to find similar nor set it up.

undoubtedly there will be mods & macro for the game soon, meanwhile you just have to find an alternative.

That doesn't help with mouseover healing. The functionality is not present in the game.

That doesn't help with mouseover healing. The functionality is not present in the game.

I know its not ingame yet however I have configured macros for my casts that more or less do all the following (when I click someplace)

1. Left click to select target (where my mouse arrow is hovering/pointing)

2. Hit corresponding number in my UI bar (or key combination for an other bar change, activate and back)

3. Delay XXXXX millisecond for matching cast-time

4. Hit Esc to deselect target

I use this for both healing and attacking

It just needs a bit more effort than having it ingame (to setup) but as I said its intended to be something temp till its implemented ingame

Click-casting(on mouse hover) experience is more or less the same without the target of target thing ofc.

Edited by Cyberkensho

For me mouseover targeting for healing is important. Being in an Operation with 16 people and its your job to keep them all alive, its very useful to be able to hover over the raid frame and simply press a button to heal that person.

What you dont want to get into is having to click on the mouse button to select the player before casting the healing spell. For one person its not a problem, but when you have to heal 4 people at the same time having to press the mouse button 4 times AND cast 4 times means it takes a lot longer to get those heals out (group healing spells aside).

Ok so 16 people 1 healer? Bad group makeup you should have at minimum 2 healers if not 4, one in each group. This takes away the pressure of saying "OMG I have to heal EVERYONE!". While it might make you look good and make ones epeen grown I would rather have and extra healer or 2 on hand in case things go south and one healer gets aggro.

I know I shouldn't bring logic into a forum....

Ok so 16 people 1 healer? Bad group makeup you should have at minimum 2 healers if not 4, one in each group. This takes away the pressure of saying "OMG I have to heal EVERYONE!". While it might make you look good and make ones epeen grown I would rather have and extra healer or 2 on hand in case things go south and one healer gets aggro.

Hehe :jawa_biggrin: got a point there but not what the topic is all about.

So let's see if any of mouseover's detractors can live up to the burden of proof on the following points, I've yet to see it.

1) It trivializes the game

What because the UI is faster at translating what I'm thinking into what I'm doing? Does having a top end computer and a quality internet connection trivialize the game for people that should just "L2PLay" on a lower quality rig? No. This feature respects BioWare's wish to avoid addons while still making the UI more robust.

2) Mouseover healing is for bads

Ignoring for a moment, how utterly subjective this sentiment is, WHAT'S IT TO YOU? Are you telling me that you WANT other healers in the game to be terrible? Would that make you feel better? I don't know about you, but if I had my way with things, everyone I worked with would be good at their job. Tanks, DPS, other healers, even the people I work with in real life. I want people to know what they're doing because MMOs are largely cooperative and my success depends on the success of others.

If you don't need mouseover healing to be on top of your game, don't use it. That's fine, and I wholly support your decision. Just don't screech about how terrible a person is because they use a certain tool to do things. You can build a house without once using a power drill, but it doesn't mean you're bad at building houses if you can't put one up without it.

3) The "you just need to adapt ladygirl" argument

This one is the most fair in that at the end of the day, we all have to play the game in front of us. Fine. I will be a healer (and a good one) with or without mouseover healing, but I will be better with it.

Why? Mouseover healing has a lower input lag. Period. All other things being equal, I will always be faster on the draw with mouseover healing because it eliminates extraneous steps in targeting. So all that's left is asking why can't YOU adapt? The advantage in mouseover healing is fundamental: it's faster because there are fewer discrete actions between you and getting the heal off. If you feel a competitive edge is being offered by mouseover healing, why aren't you harnessing it? I HATED mouseover healing when I first learned about it, but I hated it because it was different. I had a stubborn worldview where I was getting by eating with my hands when I could've enjoyed a fork and knife. I just didn't want to accept that I'd been wrong and that I needed to practice with the new system to reap it's benefits.

The fact is this: Particularly in Operations and PvP, the line between success and failure will be measured in tenths of seconds. Good mouseover healing practice can give you that extra tenth of a second on every heal. Even if you never ever used it, why would you voice the opinion that you want that tool distinctly unavailable to you?

Regarding this mouse vs keyboard war

1) None is actually able to demand anything.

(towards mouseover-lovers)

You can ofc request an add-on or macros but its up to developers to decide. You dont like the game how it is Then quit playing. Bioware has thousands (if not millions soon) to think what makes you think you are so special? I think if the majority cant play without a certain option Bioware will definitely consider so as not to loose customers from ether side.

2) You are in no position to criticize how others like their control input.

(towards mouseover-haters)

You can only complain if you end up with a healer that cant heal and your party(or mission) ends up dead, constantly!Your concern should be a good run. There is absolutely is no way for someone to know if an other player heals with a mouse or with a keyboard. Some are better with keyboards and some with mice; So what!?

3) You cant force you opinion on others

(towards both sides)

As I said I there are ways to mouse-over or click-cast outside of the game, I am doing it already. How I want to play is my concern and personally I dont give a ......... of what people say in forums; In my opinion nether should you. Play the game the way you like and let others do the same.

Edited by Cyberkensho

well i've been playing a healer or a support character since my very first toon in an mmo about 11y ago.

now, back then i used click healing, as games changed and etc i would use either click or mouseover depending on availability.

last game i played was rift, out of curiosity i actually compared mouseover and click heal (at least for me) on various scenarios (experts, raids, raid healing, tankhealing, raidrifts, pvp)

i honestly saw so much minimal differance that i stop using it just because i was bored to macro all my heals with @mouseover macros everytime i would switch a spec.

so my honest opinion:

a)it is helpful in the sense that it does in fact raise your speed (albeit if you are trully practiced by so little that it makes absolutly no differance)

b)it is a clutch. as i said above, with experience you get to the point that it makes no differance. your mouse is already hovering above the bar for mouseover, clicking takes so little time that it practically the same.

c)i don't mind if it is in or out. i can comfortably play with both.

d)the ONLY reason i could say that it is legittimate and should dis-allow mouseover is pvp.

in pvp the dps has to click you (or tab you but that works in our favor since we are backline and tab targetting pvpers suck). Gaining an unfair advantage over him because you don't is not good. However, as i said that advantage is so minimal that it is not worth mentioning so it is a trivial issua at best.

Can't say I understand the argument that it's unfair to dps since dps could use mouseover macros too if they existed. And for the record I can heal without mouseover macros just fine. I would prefer not to. I could play without a mouse too. But why would I?

Last high end healing I did was heroic first tier of raids in WoW when Cata first came out (quit WoW shortly thereafter). There were plenty of occasions where something would go wrong, and we healers would have to freak out to cover the entire raid while others brought things back under control.

In group content, there are plenty of reasons why you might temporarily need to be able to cover more then your assigned group. Would you, as a good healer, watch your brothers in arms struggle to keep up and not lend a hand in your spare time? Why would you deny people the tools that allow them flexibility to do that sort of thing?

I favor mouse-over healing being an option in the game. I'm sure it will be implemented. Any arguement that claims it's essential though just degrades the entire conversation though. It's NOT essential. It really makes very little difference if you have it or not. You simply adjust your play style by clicking, or not clicking. You still move the mouse, and with a 1.5 GCD, speed isn't really an issue.

I hope they add it, but honestly, by the time they do, you may find that you prefer click healing over the mouse-over.

Really? You cannot heal without it?

Its like that one extra little click is too much for some people...

I hate when noobs post in threads like these. You've never healed at a high level in either pve OR pvp if you don't understand the reasoning behind mouse-over macros. And I highly doubt anyone is saying they can't heal without mouse-overs, but it's so much more efficient than CLICK heal CLICK heal CLICK heal.

-sigh- mouseover healing is NOT NOT NOT any type of addon. Its just not. Its a type of TARGETING method only.

Its not like healbot, decursive, vuh'do, or staples easy button. Its just mouseover targeting. Simple UI targeting system. That is ALL.

It's an easy button, you do less work, employ less skill and get more reward. If it's too hard for you, practise and improve or move along.

I do not support dumbing the game down, because Rift and TrashCraft did it beforehand.

It's an easy button, you do less work, employ less skill and get more reward. If it's too hard for you, practise and improve or move along.

I do not support dumbing the game down, because Rift and TrashCraft did it beforehand.

Ignorance. Ignorance. Ignorance.

Tell me this. If you're PVPing and need to heal someone, then interrupt an enemy, then heal someone else how is this done without mouse-overs?

Click ally A then hit heal button.

Click enemy B then hit interrupt.

Click ally C then hit heal button.

Now how is this done with mouse-overs?

You already have the enemy targeted...the whole time he's targeted actually.

You mouse-over ally A and hit your heal, hit your interrupt and while doing that move over ally C to prepare the heal.

Now tell me how this is dumbing down a game? It's simply making your actions more efficient as a healer, or any class for that matter. Imagine being a DPS who can dispel and having to click your ally to dispel while trying to kill someone. It sucks *** without mouse-overs or macros.

You apparently have absolutely no idea how real endgame healing assignments work.

And while this may be the most ridiculous thing I've seen in the thread, the rest of the mouseover-haters don't seem to have any idea what they're talking about either.

1. Re: addon "bots" in WoW: It has been at least three expansions and five years since the last time it was possible to automate heal-targeting with an addon. Current raid frame addons are not bots. They are cosmetic modifications to the user interface.

2. Of course mouseovers aren't 'necessary.' Keybinds aren't 'necessary' either. The game could force you to actually click the icons on your action bars, just like it forces healers to click each time we switch targets. Would you like that? No? Didn't think so. It would slow you down and feel awkward, wouldn't it? Casting with just your keyboard feels smoother, doesn't it?

3. While mouseovers make healing target-selection slightly easier, this is not a bad thing, nor is it responsible for making any game too easy. Not unless you believe the entire difficulty of the game should rest on the backs of the healers and that artificially-throttling healers through awkward UI interactions is a good way to enhance difficulty.

What mouseover targeting does is move one tiny step in the direction of leveling the playing field between DPS and healers in terms of our physical interaction with the game. It permits us to retain a boss target so we know what's being cast, just like DPS do. It keeps us from having to click something every time we want to cast - DPS already don't have to. It makes our gameplay feel as smooth and seamless and enjoyable as DPS gameplay.

The playing field will never be completely level because a healer in a large group will never have his/her mouse completely free for movement and offensive target-selection, and healers will always have to devote more of our attention to the UI at the expense of the game world. But mouseovers bring us close enough that we can generally play at about the same level.

This means that the game can be balanced around real difficulty that applies to everyone, rather than artificial UI-interaction difficulty that applies only to healers. And that's a good thing.

You do less work, I'll give you that. But if you're seriously gonna call clicking a button you're already mousing over skill then you've got the bar set seriously low. Indeed that's why this topic is so annoying to me. It's not skillful for me to click a target I'm already mousing over, it's just a nuisance (mouse clicks add up). It's an issue of convenience and kindness to my mouse hand, not skill.

Thanks Jooji :)

And to those who think mouseovers are a "crutch" and those of us who use them are bad healers: Do you really, truly think that the skill in healing lies in the player's physical button-pressing?

I don't. I think the skill in healing is a combination of the player's ability to:

- Prioritize target selection on the fly, and use effective triage to keep everyone alive

- Know their healing abilities and select the most appropriate one for the incoming damage

- Be aware of their surroundings and the positioning of their group, and use area abilities and targets effectively

- Predict incoming damage and use preventive abilities or precast heals at optimal times

- Respond appropriately to encounter mechanics (PvE) or enemy abilities (PvP)

- Manage their resource

- Identify good times to use utility, dispels, and support abilities

In short, I think healing skill is about decisionmaking. Button-pressing is simply how you convey those decisions to the computer. A bad healer, by my definition, is someone who makes bad decisions - and that person would remain a bad healer even if you hooked the computer up directly to their brain.

If you really, truly believe that healing skill is about button-pressing, then you are probably a bad healer.

Edited by kaelesto

You do less work, I'll give you that. But if you're seriously gonna call clicking a button you're already mousing over skill then you've got the bar set seriously low. Indeed that's why this topic is so annoying to me. It's not skillful for me to click a target I'm already mousing over, it's just a nuisance (mouse clicks add up). It's an issue of convenience and kindness to my mouse hand, not skill.

You just argued his point no reason not to click

Hey some people don't have the energy in them to click and still be able to perform later in longer fights.

Pretty obvious you've never healed in cutting edge content. Adding a quarter or half second clicking every time I want to heal is easily the difference between a world first and not.

I want add-on support, and I want GRID. I also want Power Auras, custom UI and certainly macro support.

Now those do make the game easier. I'm not sure I want those in the game. If their UI presents all the necessary details, there's no reason to have a customized UI for playability purposes.