Nov Coast - the "flood cap" strategy?

Banderal

I don't know what you call it, but I was just in a match were we won using this "strategy". It's where it seems like the whole team, instead of trying to beat down the defenders, stand in various places and keep trying to cap. Sure you don't get very far before someone stops you, but since there's 5 of you doing it and you each get a little bit each time, and since capping those turrets is cumulative, you eventually get it. This was in a PUG, so I doubt it was a planned action. I think we got it part way "ninja" capped, and that just inspired everyone else to try to finish it up. :)

So it got me thinking... is this a valid strategy? Do you think it's useful to try for this on purpose? Seems like it might work if you could keep pressure on the other side (so they don't get a breather to undo your effort), but if you don't really have enough firepower to wipe them out for a "clean cap".

When I've been on the other side of it, it seems hard to defend against, but then I don't usually play a class that has much for AoE. I wonder if even AoE classes can break it up though, since NC has such a wide area that you can stand in to do a cap.

I've captured bunkers this way by myself as an operative in about 3 respawns. :p

The melee at mid was going nowhere but kept raging on as each side tried wipe then capture. so I just started capturing rather than fighting.

I think the moral of the story isn't so much to flood capture (although it works) but to watch for that slow incremental capture. If the enemy gets is up to 90% captured one person can come I and have the bunker in just a few seconds.

In general I feel at least one or two people should be ranged capping the contested turret, and conversely, when defending people should notice when the node is starting to switch colors and take some time to do some "counter-capping" to put a stop to that nonsense while someone with an aoe lays down a long AoE to keep them from keeping up that nonsense.

Seems like a pretty common strategy in the wzs I've played. It is pretty easy to stop with AoEs if anyone is paying attention. As always, capping/stopping capping has to be more important than padding stats.

Im with ya dude and you would think players would get this...but in so many ops chats Ive seen players boasting about their kills as we get three capped. It seems there are so many players who think because they got top kills the match was successful even though they never win a match.

At this point in the game, I think the only way to turn this retard thinking around is to make it so you dont get penalized for leaving matches its time to punish players who lose matches, say a 15 minute delay before they enter a queue again...and I would make this time stretch as the losing streak continues.

I think this would also be useful in preventing premades and guilds setting up kill trade matches as well.

The best match where the strategy you mentioned worked for me was a Novare Coast match where we just kept switching the bunker to hit and eventually we had 2 and 1/4 bunkers capped to us with a final score being in the teens. This required players giving up kills for the overall goal of winning. I know that the players who were on my team that match had a little more maturity, Im not saying actual age, they just didnt have egos the size of the deathstar and that more than anything will always win a match.

Im with ya dude and you would think players would get this...but in so many ops chats Ive seen players boasting about their kills as we get three capped. It seems there are so many players who think because they got top kills the match was successful even though they never win a match.

At this point in the game, I think the only way to turn this retard thinking around is to make it so you dont get penalized for leaving matches its time to punish players who lose matches, say a 15 minute delay before they enter a queue again...and I would make this time stretch as the losing streak continues.

I think this would also be useful in preventing premades and guilds setting up kill trade matches as well.

The best match where the strategy you mentioned worked for me was a Novare Coast match where we just kept switching the bunker to hit and eventually we had 2 and 1/4 bunkers capped to us with a final score being in the teens. This required players giving up kills for the overall goal of winning. I know that the players who were on my team that match had a little more maturity, Im not saying actual age, they just didnt have egos the size of the deathstar and that more than anything will always win a match.

That's an absolutely fantastic idea! Yeah, so when I'm in a PUG and I vs Premade after Premade then I will get penalised for losing unfairly!

You sir, have just made the Premade problem even worst with this idea.

Just thought about this, its sort of related in a way...

(Only for Novare BTW)

What happens when 2 opposing team players are trying to cap at the same time on one node, without attacking each other? Ive never seen anyone try it, I may have to see about this in my next wz if its possible, on novare of course.

Have you ever even seen how many people play PvP on the APAC severs? If we implented this there would be NO PvP at all on APAC servers.

Just thought about this, its sort of related in a way...

(Only for Novare BTW)

What happens when 2 opposing team players are trying to cap at the same time on one node, without attacking each other? Ive never seen anyone try it, I may have to see about this in my next wz if its possible, on novare of course.

I'm pretty sure the Turrets alignment doesn't shift at all, it just stays at what it was before the capping.

You need one sorc with force storm to interrupt these... Or you loose! :D

Also, It's not very interesting tactics. It's just stupid push-the-button. :rolleyes:

Or one Male-4 tank before button... :eek::D

Edited by Glower

This gets at the reason why Novare is my least favorite warzone.

Obviously there has to be a delay for capping, or that would encourage too much spam capping. And there is. The turret doesn't start to shift until maybe 1-1.5 seconds into the channel.

What's frustrating is there is seemingly a delay after you are interrupted before you can try to start channeling again. How long is this delay? Who knows. Then, there is the sometimes unresponsiveness of clicking the button during a big laggy fight, and of course everyone's favorite, the body type 4 standing in front of the console.

I have a strong feeling I would like Novare a lot more if there was an ability to channel the turret (like the huttball Pass Ball ability) you could activate and that also had a cooldown indicator on it.

We call it spam capping...

One way to counter it (before anyone starts capping) is to stand right in front of the switch. Your hitbox will completely cover the switch, and the opponents won't be able to target the switch since you are in the way. Of course, you can still be pulled/grappled/etc. but it mostly works.

Its a legit strategy but only in 3 cases:

1) Time: You need to cap the base before you lose, and don't have time to kill everyone

2) Time: You need to cap a node before the other 5 enemies get there to reinforce it

3) You are unable to kill everyone due to numbers / skill / gear. In this case, you try to cap as a last resort

So in those 3 emergency cases its worth a shot. But it very easily stopped by 1 person with an AoE. However, if no one notices, its a huge payoff sometimes.

And as a defense to this tactic:

If my team fully controls the base and you start to cap it, little by little - the entire time, the base still belongs to me and points tick from you as if I fully controlled it - even though its half yours. It counts as whoever fully controlled it last. This gives the defending team a buffer where they can focus on killing people and don't need to stop the cap right away, if its only 1 or 2 people capping.

Sometimes I'll let someone partially cap just so I can finish their friend off, and then go back for them. If they don't cap the base completely, it doesn't hurt you at all.

Edited by DarthBloodloss

You are a complete and utter moron. Punish people for losing? Are you absolutely retarded? It's this kind of thinking that has this game in the bad spot it is in now. Holy god I hope the devs don't ever see this post.

We call it spam capping...

One way to counter it (before anyone starts capping) is to stand right in front of the switch. Your hitbox will completely cover the switch, and the opponents won't be able to target the switch since you are in the way. Of course, you can still be pulled/grappled/etc. but it mostly works.

Yup, and I normally run up there with my gunslinger and hunker down right in front of the box and shoot at anything that gets in my LOS.

To be honest with you I think its an absolutely idiotic design. It should be like the battlefield games, where the cap is decided by how many people are within a given radius of the flag. If there's more people there from one team, they cap it. If there's a LOT more people there from one team they cap it a lot faster. Equal number nobody caps. Kill enemy, cap flag.

Pulls and knockbacks would obviously affect a system like that but meh, I'd rather deal with that then the current system.