Developer Update: Warzone Arenas

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will there be some sort of spectator mode for dead participant ?

Also, I commend you on the courage in removing ranked 8vs8.

How is it at all courageous to take things away from players already unhappy with there being too few things to do? It would be entirely understandable if the presence of 8v8 ranked hurt those players who didn't enjoy them, but it doesn't.

Saying, "there are problems so we are taking them away until we have them sorted out" is like saying, "Since Annihilation Marauder DPS is too weak we're removing the tree from the game right now."

Hey PvPers! I am going to be in this thread all day responding to your questions and feedback. I will get to as many posts as I can but I won’t get to them all. Hope yall enjoy the blog post! :jawa_biggrin:

Hi Alex! Thank you for the awesome pvp update! I have three questions:

-Will there be a "spectator mode" option?

-Any plans to increase the credit rewards for pvpers?

-Are there any plans to introduce eSports style tournaments to arenas?

You cannot spend skill points while in the queue or while in a Warzone. If you did this you would have no spec while in a match.

I think people shouldn't be able to que if all talents aren't spent.

Edited by DkSharktooth

You cannot spend skill points while in the queue or while in a Warzone. If you did this you would have no spec while in a match.

You're still ignoring the fact what a major impact this will be in Warzones.

This will obliterate the entire idea of winning a warzone if you're unlucky with the matchmaking.

Of course! We are going to pay close attention to what builds and classes players are leaning towards and away from on PTS. If something comes up we will take appropriate action.

I believe this is specifically the concern multiple class reps will have. BH/Troopers are mostly unwanted for the current warzones, I'd hate to see the situation get worse. The other classes have at least 1 viable/wanted spec - however for arenas, I see this dwindling.

We have discussed this and we might do this at some point but not for 2.4. A lot more considerations need to be made for this to work.

I definitely implore your team to work on this soon. Even if its 1 healer slot, maximum 2 healer slots, it would rapidly fix many frustrations (Tank is nice, but truly optional - also not well understood how to play by most people in tank spec). Is there some sort of fruit basket or cake we can send your office to get this accomplished faster?

We have tried this and the HP amount and knockbacks didn't give them a significant advantage over other tools that other classes have. Since the gas deals damage based off of health percentage and goes through defenses having more HP doesn't directly mean you can last longer in the gas.

Well in this case, my concern is not for the gas killing the sins, but more of the other team being unable to kill the tank sins before the tank sins and the gas kill them. Has this been well experimented with?

How is it at all courageous to take things away from players already unhappy with there being too few things to do? It would be entirely understandable if the presence of 8v8 ranked hurt those players who didn't enjoy them, but it doesn't.

Saying, "there are problems so we are taking them away until we have them sorted out" is like saying, "Since Annihilation Marauder DPS is too weak we're removing the tree from the game right now."

Still takes courage and boldness to do so, whether you agree with it or not.

The blog says role.

i read that but how is the role determined? Any class can fill in two roles bar Sniper/Marauder.

With the Group Finder, on a sorc I can currently queue both as a healer and dps while being in dps spec.

Which lead to the question about how will the role be assessed by the matchmaking system?

Still takes courage and boldness to do so, whether you agree with it or not.

Agreed, the fact is (as they have stated) that when 2.4 hits, the people that PvP will be doing Arena's. Ranked Warzones just won't be as popular. And since the system wasn't supported enough, I think it's better they just scrap it, focus on Arena's, get the support in for them to work well, and later in the line add Ranked Warzones back in a more functional and compelling state.

" It is possible that Ranked 8v8 Warzones will come back at a later time if we can solve some of the problems with them and if the population is there to support them."

Pretty easy to fix it, Bioware didnt fix cos' it didn't want to. Put cross server match. Simple and other game's already learn it, but seems that bioware is stubborn.

Of course! We are going to pay close attention to what builds and classes players are leaning towards and away from on PTS. If something comes up we will take appropriate action.

Op/Scoundrel heals and Smash have been over played for how long in 8v8? Why should we believe that "appropriate action" will take place now?

We have discussed this and we might do this at some point but not for 2.4. A lot more considerations need to be made for this to work.

You are taking away the ability to respec when queuing to join a RANDOMLY composed team... Have you played on a team of 4 healers, 3 tanks, and 1 dps? it's not fun, and it already happens all the time... now we dont even have to option to fix it. Why did I spend my CC on field respec for all of my toons?

The same thing that is happening with Ranked 8v8 will happen with Ranked 4v4. The optimal team comp will be the only thing people queue up with.

And as for solo queuing 4v4 using a role based system.. How likely is it going to be to get teamed up with the same people over and over?

I may not be the best player, but if I am getting teamed up with dps that can't put up more than 200dps, why am I going to keep playing?

At least with 8v8, you can carry a few sub-par players. But 4v4 solo queue will be a nightmare.

Agreed, the fact is (as they have stated) that when 2.4 hits, the people that PvP will be doing Arena's. Ranked Warzones just won't be as popular. And since the system wasn't supported enough, I think it's better they just scrap it, focus on Arena's, get the support in for them to work well, and later in the line add Ranked Warzones back in a more functional and compelling state.

So what about those who're in this game only because of 8v8 rwz? Why remove a gameplay that there was nothing wrong about?

Hi Alex, I have a couple of questions. Apologies if these have been asked or answered before, I couldn't see them in what I've read. (And I see there have been some new answers since I started writing!)

Firstly, you said in a previous post that you'll be keeping the 10-29, 30-54 and 55 brackets for Arenas. How will this work in terms of Ranked matches? Will the 10-29 and 30-54 brackets be considered "Non-Ranked" Arenas or will sub-55 players now be able to participate in Ranked?

Secondly, how will a player's role be determined? Is it going to be a system similar to Group Finder, where you declare your role? Or will it be based off of Skill Tree distribution, gear, stances when applicable, etc.? I only ask since I can think of some hybrid instances when someone heavily invested in a Damage tree could actually be geared and "stanced" for Tanking. E.g. Defense/Vigilance hybrid.

In regards to having a Solo and Group queue: big thumbs up! One concern that has been raised in discussion with other players though is whether Queue-Synching could be an issue. Is anything done in the match-making process to avoid 4 players of the right team composition being able to synchronise and get a Solo-Queued Arena together? Or does internal testing show that this just won't happen due to the nature of the queue algorithm?

Finally, can we queue for both 4v4 Arenas and regular 8v8 Warzones (non-Ranked) at the same time or do we need to choose one or the other?

Thanks!

-J

Edited by JarenWelen