Lucas says he won't make more Star Wars movies

Dire-Wolf

I wasn't really expecting another Star Wars movie. I thought it was pretty much done after Episode III was released. But if he means re-releases and that sort of thing, well then that is just silly. Everyone is going to want more remasters and that sort of thing. Personally, I thought the re-releases for 97 were pretty damn good. Still have to check out the Blu-Ray's though, hopefully they are pretty spectacular.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm a dunce. After actually reading the article, I can't believe he his done with movies all together. To be honest, it sounded more like it was because of movie executives rather then the actual fans, although they probably had a portion for that. Still, its hard to believe that he is finally done with movies altogether. Wonder if he will stay true to his word though?

Edited by Xcsl

personally pleased he WON'T be doing any more movies... the cgi clone wars series took what was supposed to be, at best, a year worth of space between attack of the clones, and stretched it into absurdity.

Anyone familiar with the Republic Commando book series? Written by Karen Travis?

anyone know why she stopped writing that series after the first book of Imperial Commandos?

Because the established cannon was being changed such that what she had established all but threw any hope for continuing the series out the window. And if memory serves, it boiled down to this:

Boba makes his assault on Windu's cruiser intending vengeance, and rather than finding another way (one that wouldn't put his brothers at risk, ((granted it's not established if Jango imbued in Boba that sense of family to the clones, the clones still carried at least some of the mandalorian traditions)) ) he takes the course he does, and doesn't seem to care who he has to kill in the process as long as windu dies.

All of the expanded universe stuff has been viewed for the longest time now as being canonical by at least a majority of fans, and the fact that Lucas had seemingly never made a move to say otherwise (assuming he didn't in fact endorse it himself- I mean, he's only permitted these books to be written and hit the shelves... money in his pocket or not, if he didn't like the way things were going in his own universe, he could've stopped it) and so for him to decide that he has the right to go and change whatever he wants after the fact that things have already long since been established ... it's like if tolkien were still alive, and he went back thru all his works, and decided he didn't like how things had played out in some seemingly not too important at the time situation and changed it... only later on for that change to alter the course of a character's story entirely. at least it seems that way t me.

I'm honestly a little disappointed. I was fine with Lucas doing what he wanted to with what were, effectively, his stories. It's his sandbox.

At the same time, I can fully respect his decision to go do something else, as long as he's happy at the end of the day. He created something that will (hopefully) outlive him for a good long time, and that's enough for me.

Best of wishes to George in his future endeavors.

As I heard it a few years ago, around the time episode 1 was being released, he originally wrote 3 films, but when he took them to studios he was told they were FAR too big and should be cut down to something more manageable. So he cut one down and episodes 4,5 and 6 were born. Years later he decided to make 1,2 and 3 (film 1 when he first wrote them), but as I recall he ALWAYS said he wasn't going to make more. He said this after episode 6, then again after episode 3, so this isn't really anything new. But it does mean that he has another film, essentially episodes 7,8 and 9, stuck away in a safe somewhere. But he has always also said that no-one else would be allowed to make any of these films without him, so when he doesn't want to do any more, no-one can take them off him, and once he dies, according to Lucas himself, no-one will be able to get hold of them and make them. Presumably some legal thing will stop them, or simply he'll burn them when he knows he's on his way out.

Don't know just how accurate this is, but it seems to be fairly well accepted as fact, unless this has been proven incorrect in the last few years or so.

Um wasn't his plan to only do the story of anakin skywalker anyways? Well he is done with that so not making anymore movies would make sense. Also he pretty much ruined Vader's image with the prequels by turning him into an effeminate emo ****. Then he put the effeminate emo ****' image at the end of ROTJ. *********** unbelievable.

As I heard it a few years ago, around the time episode 1 was being released, he originally wrote 3 films, but when he took them to studios he was told they were FAR too big and should be cut down to something more manageable. So he cut one down and episodes 4,5 and 6 were born. Years later he decided to make 1,2 and 3 (film 1 when he first wrote them), but as I recall he ALWAYS said he wasn't going to make more. He said this after episode 6, then again after episode 3, so this isn't really anything new. But it does mean that he has another film, essentially episodes 7,8 and 9, stuck away in a safe somewhere. But he has always also said that no-one else would be allowed to make any of these films without him, so when he doesn't want to do any more, no-one can take them off him, and once he dies, according to Lucas himself, no-one will be able to get hold of them and make them. Presumably some legal thing will stop them, or simply he'll burn them when he knows he's on his way out.

Don't know just how accurate this is, but it seems to be fairly well accepted as fact, unless this has been proven incorrect in the last few years or so.

Well, if it is true, people who are barbaric in there words are just jealous. I find it amazing how people cut their nose off spit their face and step on the hand that feeds them. I simply would leave it to someone that is creative, has nothing to do with the industry and let it fly that way, with respect to the creator. Lucas has created a world that when I die or you die it will come to life no matter what happens. Really sad for the new people coming to this world, it has been clouded with Sith mentality, and justified by Jedi dreams.:cool::ph_good_post:

I thought he had said something like this before. I have a vague recollection of him saying something to the effect that there were only supposed to be 6 movies (contradicting an earlier statement about having an idea for 9). But at any rate, I don't mind that he's not going to make any more movies. Lucas gave us something awesome with Star Wars but he couldn't capture that same magic with the prequels for what ever reason. I know he has no reason to pass the torch to someone else, but I'd like to see someone new take a crack at it. I love the TCW cartoon, its clear to me that there are people out there who can do a good job with the IP.

Maybe there is still hope with that live action show that's been in production limbo for forever.

I know the fans, myself included, have been hard on GL. But maybe he will finally come around to seeing the value in giving someone else control over SW. Doubtful, but fingers crossed anyway.

lol what are you guys talking

he owns Star wars

if he doesnt make anymore why he would give it to anyone to make

if you actually like star wars you should beg him to make more

i really want to watch old republic as a movie

I concur, I would also liked to see a TOR movie. Whether it be live action, or animation like in the cinematics for this game. For some reason, those animations appeal to me greatly, and I think they would do it justice.

Well 2nd poster said he gave us a universe; I think it's only a galaxy though (or maybe a small moon)

As for more movies I must concur with some that I'd rather not get more Lucas Star Wars movies. How about if Peter Jackson did adaptations of the Thrawn trilogy by Zahn? And as far as the actors being too old looking; did you see what they did with old Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy?

A scary thought about future changes to the original trilogy; what if Jar Jar Binks is revealed as the trash compactor monster on the Death Star - or what if he's one of the myriad species hanging out in the Cantina - or what if they replace Nien Nunb with Jar Jar as he asides to Lando "Mesa being berry berry scared!" or Admiral Ackbar "It's a trap! How wude"