Focus Targeting - sometimes fails?

XtremJedi

So... I was healing a group today and healing along nicely using Focus Targeting on the tank without any problems until..... with Tank set as Focus Target, his icon in the Focus Target spot, pushing my modifier button and the cursor had turned blue. Hit Heal... and the heal landed on me. Several times in a row. I had Line of Sight and was well within range... but ended up going back to using F-buttons to select my heal target.

I know how to use Focus Targeting. I use it successfully all the time with my companion and have used it in several games in the past. I've used it successfully most of the time in groups here too... but sometimes, it just seems to fail. I saw this during beta a few times too, enough that I ended up not trusting focus targeting.

Has anybody else been having intermittent problems with focus targeting? Or is it just me?

X

Definitely experiencing this. Moreso today than yesterday. Could it be a server communication issue, or does the Focus Target Modifier key time out after being held down for so long (defaulting back to the standard target)?

I don't know the answer for sure, but I can acknowledge that you are not the only person experiencing this problem.

My nephew is playing a JC healer as well, and we can't for the life of it get Focus Target to work. Maybe we missed something, but isn't there suppoted to pop up a new target UI over the enemy UI, when you set a focus target? Or did they change something since beta?

Yes, you do get another target just above the enemy target. Setting the target can also be a bit dodgy at times. Try hitting F1 to select yourself, then set yourself as focus, then select that target you really want to be focus and set that as focus.

I've also noticed, that the Focus Target seems to often be cleared when you do conversations, zone into new instances etc. So you need to double check that you have the Focus Target regularly and set it up again if necessary.

The whole focus targeting thing is just a bit wobbly, so you have to really be on top of it.

X