Community Team General Update: May 31st, 2012

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since 1.2, we have been monitoring the threads about sound issues carefully. However, the problem is not isolated to one or even a few individual bugs. Rather, there have been multiple (sometimes overlapping) problems - some with similar symptoms. Thus far, we’ve been able to address several of the prominent issues like the “jet engine” and other loud noise on the fleet (1.2.0c, 1.2.1 ) and sounds stacking when getting multiple PvP medals (1.2.2), and we haven’t stopped working on fixes for other issues that you’re seeing, such as sound that “crackles” or losing sound gradually and/or randomly.

Your reports surrounding issues are always helpful when they’re ongoing and/or complex (and when they’re not!), so please don’t hesitate to add information and details to existing threads if you are seeing problems. Thanks for all of the details and information you’ve already given! o/’’\o

My question is, why did it all go wrong in 1.2.0?

Everything was fine and superb sound quality before there.

Now, when we log in on the fleet,

the background noise, people, droids, chattering and so on, already there stutters and falls out.

Did you add more sounds in 1.2.0 for it to suddenly overlap and cause sound chokes,

or is it a memory leak as many claims it is?

Anyway, we are many that hopes for a permanent fix soon.

Right now, half way in a raid, we are taking turns on booting the game and swapping leaders.

Everyone has to restart their client.

If we dont do it, we dont hear the sound ques we need to hear, in order to successively getting the bosses down.

EXTREMELY frustrating.

Also, when your having a good time with a few friends in PvP.

Some one always has to "Brb, sounds issue restart."

Very frustrating when you just want to group em up again and quickly queue again to get in a game again.

Instead, we have to wait for at least one to restart, then queue, and more waiting for the queue to pop.

:(

Thanks.

Edited by DecanAndersen

I'd LOVE to see a region representative appointed as well - eg, I'm an Aussie so it'd be great to have a person fighting for issues specific to Australia/New Zealand - things like unacceptable maintenance downtimes during our prime time. I feel these issues are shrugged off and dismissed too often because we're a relative minority compared to the stronger voice in other regions.

I'd feel a lot better knowing there was a specific person sitting in on meetings pushing forward concerns from the AU/NZ player base so I can be sure our concerns are being heard and acknowledged. That person can then deliver updates to the AU/NZ players directly.

I'm sure EU players would love to see something like this as well :-)

I have a question I've been dying to get answered but I had no way to ask it until now:

I love playing as a Jedi Guardian and it never gets old leaping straight into the fray of battle, but I've been patiently waiting ever since the game was released to be able to lower the hood of my robe. If you could let us know if its in the works or even coming soon I would be extremely grateful.

IDK what the hell you guys did to the game today but i could not log on. the logon server was down , i called customer support and got some guy i could barely understand telling me i had to uninstall and reinstall the game 0.0 ... so now instead of me being able to have loged on @ 3:pm east coast usa i am stuck in 11 gig update for god knows how long. wen it WAS A PROBLEM ON YOUR END. and now my pics are gone my interface settings are gone. and im not able to play during peek play time , hell the way i see it this is a 100k loss and 1 - 2 levels set back. inexcusable if the people you have answering the phone have cranialrectumitus please keep them away from the phones...

I like this thread. It's nice to get to know our Community Team!

And /highfive to Eric! Sith Inquisitor all the way :D

Thanks! All my friends know there was no way I would have chosen anything else as my main, haha.

Just a question, there is 2people in your staff without AC (Eric Campbell as inquisitor and Eric Musco as trooper). Does that mean they play both AC, they are still trooper/inq at lvl 50 (quite the challenge IMO), or they are still on the first planet ?

Another one, do you guys play the server we use, and are "undercover" inside some guild, not saying they are part of the staff, but enjoying the game the same way we do (like Eve online staff), or do they have a special guild (like GW staff) ?

Easy answer from me - Sith Assassin. Throwing lightning at everything in my path and raining mass destruction down on my enemies is far too much fun. As for my guild? They have no idea who I am. ^_^

Regardless of what some may say this can definitely be a good thing if they really start communicating with us and not just to us.

People constantly complain that BW don't communicate enough. You can't expect the devs to talk much to us, as they are busy people. But we do expect you community staff to talk with us

I know many of us customers are ignorant and rude at times, and often unreasonable. But there are also many of us who are patient and enjoying the game. Furthermore this rudeness from many customers is purely because many are frustrating because we want the game to improve.

I hope you guys talk with us more and look forward to future updates :)

May I just say, this level of communication is marvelous. Making more of a personal connection with the community will go a long way towards alieviating the "is silence a good thing?" debates that keep popping up. (Obviously it doesn't fix everything and some will never be satisfied, but it is a excellent step forward.) So thank you for keeping the developer tracker rolling today, it's been much appreciated.

Awesome another community manager that reply's the first couple days then will disappear when actual problems or questions arise. Seriously about the only time anyone ever responds to a post BESIDES, the ones introducing new community people or pr is to close a thread or move them. With EVEN less people staffed at bioware I am sure they will be even more involved in the community......:rolleyes: Almost any game gw2, firefall, secret world and even WOW had people that would respond to questions on forums, that is non existent here. Oh wait Q&A...now every other week. One of the big reasons why a lot of my friends stayed away from the forums they WERE(were as in dead severs so they left) irritated with bioware NO COMMUNITY INTERACTION. Edited by madmikeyb

Community Coordinator Eric Musco, as mentioned above, will act as the community liaison to fan sites and guilds. In addition to that, he will be coordinating our presence at any upcoming shows. He is currently playing as a Trooper.

I really appreciate the post. As a Guildmaster, I was curious as to what is intended for interacting more with guilds.

Easy answer from me - Sith Assassin. Throwing lightning at everything in my path and raining mass destruction down on my enemies is far too much fun. As for my guild? They have no idea who I am. ^_^

Sure you don't mean Sorcerer? :jawa_wink:

Well, I personally can only see positive things developing from this idea. As you can see from my join date which by the way I was lurking around weeks before deciding to create an account, am sticking with this game to the end. There are some aspects I wish were different in game, however I can not go back to those other MMO's. They don't fill the void that this one does. Simple as that. Good to meet you all!

We always want to make sure information reaches players on outlets that are convenient for them, and that means we'll continue to use a variety of outlets to get information out there, BUT we do want to make sure news and important information is represented on all our official outlets - that means the forums, our blog, and our social media pages. We'll continue blogs like our Q&A, which takes questions directly from the forums, and we'll always work to get information to you here.

This doesn't mean that there won't ever be exclusive info on press sites, but we will always work to make sure that players can get important game information and news, no matter where you choose to look.

Using different ways to get info to players is fine, but can we have a page or thread on this website that is updated everytime there is such announcements or new articles? This way , we can log in to a centralised info page where we can find links to these announcements.

That's a very good question and the truth is that we're aiming for a future in which we have a closer collaboration between you folks, us (the community team), and the development team. I believe that with the new specialty initiative (the one I mention in the blog post), we'll be getting closer to that. Once the infrastructure is set up, the goal is to be more agile in responding to questions and concerns (from the community team POV). As for the game? Well, we're players too so we all have different opinions on this. I love exploring in our game, so I'd personally love to see new planets down the line.

Thanks first of all guys, all of you for fulfilling the promise that Greg Z made a week ago about how you all were going to be more active on the forum, this activity today is amazing & interaction of this type that I'm quoting here from Joveth is especially nice.

You really don't understand it, or as gamers maybe you really do but just weren't allowed to talk so freely before, but to just see you guys talking on these forums like you're regular people instead of someone in authority that expects to have their demands followed unquestioningly...it's really nice. It's so impersonal having to deal with you guys when you're just acting all business-like all the time, it's feels no different than dealing with the CS droids ingame, y'know?

I honestly don't know where you Devs & forum mods or other BioWare employees go when you just want to shoot some #$&+ about the game, you gave all of us registered forum users these wonderful forums here to do exactly that & we do it well, but I had always wished that when or if some of you guys from BioWare had some free time or whatever that every once in a while maybe I'd for example see a yellow name pop up in some forum discussion about "ugly class gear", and that yellow named person would give their own personal opinion on what they think of the gear that their own player character is wearing & whether they hate it or love it. Could be any subject for that matter, the point is that if you have the time, I think alot of us would just like to hear from you here on the forums, to see you join in on discussions. Maybe you'd have to add a byline saying *my personal views do not represent the company view of BioWare LLC* or something to that effect.

I can't speak for everyone, but when I have asked for more interaction from Devs/yellow names on these forums, I am not only asking for information about the game, what I would like to see more of is what's been going on today. This 2-way conversation thing is very cool & I hope that you all keep it up & that once the Devs get to slow down after they put the final touches on coding for server transfers so they can go live, that they can come to the forums & interact with us a little more often too. Thanks again.

Edited by Tricky-Ha

It's all about the baby Tauntaun 5-second dance party. We should all have a Tauntaun dance-off at 5PM CDT today. Get out of our chairs, turn up the volume for 5-seconds and move like we mean it! Who's with me?

Aww :(. I missed the 5 second Baby Tauntaun (Could I rename it to the Bridge Dance for a shorter (and easier) name? :p).

If only I had known, I would have done it at work tonight (and get weird and confused looks from my coworkers) and it would have been awesome.

Same time tomorrow night?

Edit: We should totally record this in game and post a video here :-)

Edited by Celwinn

That is great and I am really happy for you. Could you please give us an update on 6 weeks of broken sound? I would guess not. Just more fluff ignoring real issues.

You could just delete this post again, or you could actually do your job and let us know why it is taking 6 weeks.

Is it not a high priority, did devs not start working on a fix?

Do devs not know what they are doing?

Are they close?

I realize I am probably asking way too much. Again, I am really happy for you, awesome bios. I can't wait for some player/community manager joint event. There is nothing I would rather do than play some SWTOR with you awesome community managers.

That is great and I am really happy for you. Could you please give us an update on 6 weeks of broken sound? I would guess not. Just more fluff ignoring real issues.

You could just delete this post again, or you could actually do your job and let us know why it is taking 6 weeks.

Is it not a high priority, did devs not start working on a fix?

Do devs not know what they are doing?

Are they close?

I realize I am probably asking way too much. Again, I am really happy for you, awesome bios. I can't wait for some player/community manager joint event. There is nothing I would rather do than play some SWTOR with you awesome community managers.

Have you read all of the Devtracker?

In case if you missed it:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=4510447#edit4510447

Since 1.2, we have been monitoring the threads about sound issues carefully. However, the problem is not isolated to one or even a few individual bugs. Rather, there have been multiple (sometimes overlapping) problems - some with similar symptoms. Thus far, we’ve been able to address several of the prominent issues like the “jet engine” and other loud noise on the fleet (1.2.0c, 1.2.1 ) and sounds stacking when getting multiple PvP medals (1.2.2), and we haven’t stopped working on fixes for other issues that you’re seeing, such as sound that “crackles” or losing sound gradually and/or randomly.

Your reports surrounding issues are always helpful when they’re ongoing and/or complex (and when they’re not!), so please don’t hesitate to add information and details to existing threads if you are seeing problems. Thanks for all of the details and information you’ve already given! o/’’\o

In short, going forward, each Community Team member will be specifically focused on a particular aspect of our game (PvP, Crew Skills, Operations, etc) and paired up with the appropriate developer so that they can respond to players more efficiently

because it was singular, does that mean there are a small handful of dev's on the game.

that would explain alot

I guess what I'm asking is are you here to represent Bioware or to represent us?

Obviously, they represent their employer, BW, and not its customers. They aren't lobbyists paid by the customers to lobby BW about the game. They are BW's liaison with the players.