Why are Knives our best damage?

Fergz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Because Operative is a melee based class.

Then why have us use a rifle? Why not have our main hand weapon be the shiv with a pistol as the off hand?

Same reason why if VG/PT is supposed to be in melee range, why not give them tech blades?

Then why have us use a rifle? Why not have our main hand weapon be the shiv with a pistol as the off hand?

Same reason why if VG/PT is supposed to be in melee range, why not give them tech blades?

because of how the game is built. simple. VG/PT goes over the "default" melee range (they get 10m) so techblades would not work, and an off hand pistol with main hand shiv just would not work since they are not actually modelled to be your main weapons

because of how the game is built. simple. VG/PT goes over the "default" melee range (they get 10m) so techblades would not work, and an off hand pistol with main hand shiv just would not work since they are not actually modelled to be your main weapons

And how it looks now is stupid. Plus with VG/PT their hardest hitting abilities are in melee range. Shock strike, ion pulse.

It would be a bit of a pain to change the animations to allow the changes, but everything is there already to solve it. And for the OP, they should be using pistols. At least then, it would look better, least from my POV. No point having a rifle and most of my attacks come from a freaking shiv. Atleast make the main hand a pistol so when I do the shiv attacks it doesn't look so insane.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Taste is subjective, but to me this is the biggest reason as to why I've not wanted to play concealment. Why run around with a rifle and not use it?

And how it looks now is stupid. Plus with VG/PT their hardest hitting abilities are in melee range. Shock strike, ion pulse.

It would be a bit of a pain to change the animations to allow the changes, but everything is there already to solve it. And for the OP, they should be using pistols. At least then, it would look better, least from my POV. No point having a rifle and most of my attacks come from a freaking shiv. Atleast make the main hand a pistol so when I do the shiv attacks it doesn't look so insane.

... and this is also the reason why I've never really liked Powertech or Vanguard! Stormtroopers don't run around shooting lightning beams with their rifles. It's such a missed opportunity as well because as non-force users we so rarely get to see the colour of our lasers. I don't think anything can be done about it at this point though, unless they were to remake the remake the animations like the TalonVII suggests.

• 3 weeks later...
in all honesty probably because bioware did not really think of the identity of the class really well in a star wars sense. Idk about you but what i saw of smugglers was the run in gun quickly get out of there medium range kinda class. More pew pew, kite a little pew pew, sneaky tricks of cc. They got the sneaky tricks part right but not much pew pew unless in super close range which looks awkward. Keep in mind this came from a group of devs who thought calling the sage a jedi wizard would be a good idea.

• 3 weeks later...
in all honesty probably because bioware did not really think of the identity of the class really well in a star wars sense. Idk about you but what i saw of smugglers was the run in gun quickly get out of there medium range kinda class. More pew pew, kite a little pew pew, sneaky tricks of cc. They got the sneaky tricks part right but not much pew pew unless in super close range which looks awkward. Keep in mind this came from a group of devs who thought calling the sage a jedi wizard would be a good idea.

It's so nice to hear someone else say this. The main weapon of the Operative and the Scoundrel is the Blaster Rifle and Pistol. Yet, it's the weapon we use the least? As lethality, we have two 30m range attacks: Poison Dart and Corrosive Grenade. That means my character can throw further than she can aim.

I've said this in quite a lot of threads since returning to the game and becoming a forum warrior; let Assassins/Shadows be the rogues of this game. Operatives/Scoundrels could've had a unique playstyle, that of the run and gun. But alas, we're all rogues now. Wasted potential. :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm fine with the knife but I really wish my operative could use a pistol instead of a rifle as his main hand weapon.

And this is why I use the rifle with a simple shotgun look (WL-29 Blaster Rifle).

It actually (somewhat) fits the class compared to the heaps of humongous looking rifles in the game that would make absolutely no sense whatsoever in CQC.

Well if we continue this way how the freak knife can kill powerful sith for example......

Btw where do we keep that machete/shotgun ? Like isn't it suppose to be visible, mercs have both guns visible........

I play operative due to this that i kill stuff with shotguns/punches and machetes........ Also have great survival and ability to reset the battle.

• 5 weeks later...
Playing an Op and I'm not really sure why our best damage is done with our off hand weapon instead of our rifle

Because at launch, you didn't roll a scoundrel or a gunslinger. You rolled a smuggler, and picked which version you wanted to play at level 10. That's why both advanced classes share a few skills, and they both use guns, even though one is ranged and the other is melee. Being able to choose your advanced class at character creation is more or less a recent change.