Merc or PT for pyro?

-nuc-

I like my PT for PvP, because you don't ever need to stand still. I just run around flame bursting, missling, and rocket punching peeps to make sure no one can use an objective point, firing Rail Shots as they proc, always jumping around behind people. Mercs have to stand still for their stuff. They probably do more though.

And you can still do the ole thermal det then unload on a single target if you're trying to kill just one person.

I like my PT for PvP, because you don't ever need to stand still. I just run around flame bursting, missling, and rocket punching peeps to make sure no one can use an objective point, firing Rail Shots as they proc, always jumping around behind people. Mercs have to stand still for their stuff. They probably do more though.

And you can still do the ole thermal det then unload on a single target if you're trying to kill just one person.

Merc Pyros do not have to stand still.

Basically, the big thing you are looking at OP is this trade off:

Mercenary: Heals, 30 meter range attacks, dispel, knockback, 8 second CC, more powerful Rapid Shots.

Powertech: Grapple, AOE 2.5 stun, Tank/Guard capabilities, 10 meter to melee range attacks, interrupt.

Considering that this is a team game, there's no "this is obviously better" as it is about the composition of your team. If your team has no other Powertechs or tank spec'd Assassins, then Grapple is very valuable tool alone. If your team is lacking heals or could use more range pressure, then a Mercenary may be in your consideration.

Edited by TheJollyRogers

Keep in mind that PT's AOE stun doesnt work in PvP.

Pyrotechs do very nice damage in group pvp but 1v1 they arent that great - they lack gap closer other than grapple at 45sec CD which can be countered by a simple knockback every ranged class has. And they cant kite (I wonder if combustive cylinder snare bug is fixed, anyway its not a great tool for kiting).

Edited by Vesperr

Pyrotechs do very nice damage in group pvp but 1v1 they arent that great - they lack gap closer other than grapple at 45sec CD which can be countered by a simple knockback every ranged class has. And they cant kite (I wonder if combustive cylinder snare bug is fixed, anyway its not a great tool for kiting).

Powertech suffers with regard to kiting anyways because they lose dps once they get out of the 10m range.

You'll get much stronger Rail Shot crits with a PT Pyro.

I don't think Merc Pyros have access to the 60% armor pen (as well as an extra 6% damage increase) to Rail Shot that the PTs do.

What this means is, you can get *amazing* burst if your TD and rail shot crit together. It's an easy way to get rid of those pesky healers.

Edited by exphryl

I was referring to Carbonize, http://www.torhead.com/ability/aI8lmsH/carbonize#see-also.

I apologize if I was not clear.

I don't think Merc Pyros have access to the 60% armor pen (as well as an extra 6% damage increase) to Rail Shot that the PTs do.

What this means is, you can get *amazing* burst if your TD and rail shot crit together. It's an easy way to get rid of those pesky healers.

This is definitely a consideration. That said, Mercenaries get to utilize heals to bring support to himself or allies.

As I said, this is very "how you want to play" oriented. PT is by far the better AC to lock someone down, with an interrupt and more CC capabilities. However, Mercenary is going to start dishing its damage at a farther range, making it hard to catch up to Mercenary with Sweltering Heat, Jet Boost and self-Cure. You either do the chasing, or do the kiting.

On the damage end of things, both classes are in a very good spot.

Edited by TheJollyRogers

One word:

Powershot!

So Merc has powershot which is a strong crit ability as well, PT doesn't have it.

Also Merc does get 30% armor penetration in the Pyro tree for the Railshot, along with venting 8 heat if hitting a burning target.

So getting half the Armor pen, but also getting a whole ability that does almost as much damage as a Railshot in itself, I think makes up for it, don't you?

The powershot and Unload, has 30 and 60% chance to make the next Railshot end cooldown and be completely free.

So you can see there is a pretty good Proc synergy for the powershot and Railshot as well.

Also a Pyro Merc is very mobile, it does not utlize a lot of channeled abilities as the Arsenal Merc (tracer).

This along with 30m engagement range is pretty decent.

TD>Railshot>powershot>Railshot (proc, synergy) = serious amount of damage in a few seconds.

I forgot incendiary missile for the burning effect since you get a LOT of bonus with Railshot and Powershot in the Pyro tree for burning targets.

Edited by finc_loki