Why Anakin's fall wasn't an instant..

Wolfninjajedi

So a misconception of his fall, which is about everywhere saying that Anakin's fall was instant and that it wasn't dragged out. Well the fact of it is, it was drug out and all one needs to do is pay attention to the movies...you don't even need to go into other material just watch the movies, but here i'll be going through each movie and also throwing in some in-between information explaining how Anakin falls.

=============

Episode 1

We are introduced to a young boy named Anakin Skywalker, a boy who was raised as a slave and soon bought by Watto and worked in the shop of his owner. Now being that he was older then most of the jedi younglings, he more then likely from what isn't seen experienced fear, anger and lots of other emotions and he is especially emotional and cares about his mother. When he is taken from his mother to go be a jedi, he has a hard time letting go of his attachment to his mother and he had much fear in him and his future was clouded...these are the first steps in Anakin beginning his journey to the darkside.

Episode 2

Here the years have passed, and Anakin is now a jedi padawan to Obi-Wan we see theres a sort of friendship akin to a father/son sort of deal here. However now Anakin is rash, arrogant, and can sometimes be overconfident in his abilities and his emotions can still get in the way even after his jedi training. This is explored further when Anakin goes to see his mom, only finding out that she had been sold by the Lars family, freed and then taken by Sand People. Now naturally Anakin goes to save his mom, only to be there too late and having her die which sends Anakin into a rage killing all the Sand People, when he gets back though to the Lars homestead he is guilty of doing what he did and broke down crying knowing that as a jedi he should have known better then to do what he did. His emotions, are then shown again to get in the way seeing Padme fall from the gunship as they were chasing Dooku but soon coming to the realization that if she was in his position she would do what needed to be done after his emotions are able to be further tampered with by marrying Padme in the end.

Between EP 2-3

Now between episodes 2 and 3, war goes on and Anakin along with his master fight in various battles. However there is one in particular(or least one that I can find evidence of) of another decent for Anakin towards the darkside, and that is shown with this video.

(Not gonna reveal the name, surprise!)

Now before anyone says that where is it shown in TCW and all. This takes place way before that, the game(if anyone played it) takes place shortly after EP 2. Sorry about the quality, best I could find but in the video you see that what Anakin needs to get comes with a great risk that it could lead one to the darkside...again another factory in Anakin's fall.

So far in the TCW we have seen Anakin from time to time flirt a little with the darkside, and in the upcoming trailer(or one of them) we see him really angry, about to flat out kill someone. Another point going towards the darkside again.

Episode 3

Now it all comes down to this movie, we see once again Anakin at conflict with himself having Dooku in his hands ready to decapitate him. He does so, but knew that he shouldn't have from there after the ship landed he meets with Padme and is rather joyed that he is going to be a father. Meanwhile Palpatine continues to pull strings on Anakin and all that, and at night Anakin has visions of Padme dying so he goes and talks to Yoda about it(leaving out the important details) and is responded with that he should let go and that death is a natural part of life. Anakin doesn't really like the sound of that, and is even more upset that he was turned down the rank of master later in the film(which by all accounts, he should have earned during the war amongst other things) this puts his trust in a strain on the jedi order.

Now with Palpatine who continues to pull strings, going on and on about his master and all that noise soon realizes that he is the Sith Lord that the jedi had been looking for. He then goes to tell Mace Windu, and urges him to take him along to fight but is deined which puts even more strain on his faith with the jedi thinking they don't trust him. After the fight between Mace and Palps, Anakin once more is conflicted to save Mace Windu or save Palpatine? He does the latter and helps Palpatine kill Mace by chopping his hand, realizing that he could never go back to the jedi after what he did and knowing that Palpatine could perhaps save his wife he swears his loyalty to the sith lord.

That moment is the final nail in the coffin, all of what Anakin went through in each movie with his emotions and everything in between lead him to that point and the fail step to the darkside.

===============

Now do people understand all of Anakin's fall? It wasn't instant at all, you watch the movies think about how much time has passed incorporate those thoughts of Anakin perhaps falling more to the darkside(or looking at sources with Anakin between the movies) and at the end of the road you see it all makes sense.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

David Lynch pulled off Paul Atreides rise from son of a Duke to Emperor of the known universe and Messiah in one film, better than Lucas did Anakin's fall over three films.

The majority of fans do understand how his fall to the Dark Side goes over the three prequels.

Many also see how badly done it was, and trying to excuse it as "subtlety" is never, ever going to work.

Edited by Fyurii

David Lynch pulled off Paul Atreides rise from son of a Duke to Emperor of the known universe and Messiah in one film, better than Lucas did Anakin's fall over three films.

The majority of fans do understand how his fall to the Dark Side goes over the three prequels.

Many also see how badly done it was, and trying to excuse it as "subtlety" is never, ever going to work.

Badly done?....Opinion, it was badly done in their opinion. It was done just fine, but again thats opinion. All I am showing to those that seem like it was instantnous when it wasn't, not weither it was good or bad that wasn't the point at all of my post.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

All I am showing to those that seem like it was instantnous when it wasn't, not weither it was good or bad that wasn't the point at all of my post.

Didn't realise we weren't allowed to disagree with you or offer opinion on why his fall comes across as rushed and badly done.

Unfortunately if some see it as badly done, combined with others that missed the *ahem* subtleness of his fall, then whether or not it was badly done (t'was horrible I tells ya!) does factor in.

It could have been done better in my opinion if Lucas hadn't tried to jam too much into the prequels at one time, and more time could have been devoted to Anakin's development as a character and his fall. In turn it wouldn't have left many, if any fans saying that his fall was near instant and make no sense.

Edited by Fyurii

Didn't realise we weren't allowed to disagree with you or offer opinion on why his fall comes across as rushed and badly done.

Unfortunately if some see it as badly done, combined with others that missed the *ahem* subtleness of his fall, then whether or not it was badly done (t'was horrible I tells ya!) does factor in.

It could have been done better in my opinion if Lucas hadn't tried to jam too much into the prequels at one time, and more time could have been devoted to Anakin's development as a character and his fall. In turn it wouldn't have left many, if any fans saying that his fall was near instant and make no sense.

Never said you couldn't disagree, its just theres proof showing that his fall wasn't in an instant.

I didn't read your post yet, but I knew you were going to make something like this. Right before I was going to. lol

Ya, was planning on making it yesterday but decided today instead.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Anakin's fall from grace was absurd. Wanting to save your wife's life would encourage many men to do morally questionable things. But killing your order's leader, thousands of Jedi including small children, trying to suffocate the woman you did all that for and trying to kill your mentor/father figure in the space of a day or two is a bit much.

Anakin's fall from grace was absurd. Wanting to save your wife's life would encourage many men to do morally questionable things. But killing your order's leader, thousands of Jedi including small children, trying to suffocate the woman you did all that for and trying to kill your mentor/father figure in the space of a day or two is a bit much.

At that point, he was more interested in power then really saving Padme. I mean he pretty much states this to her later on.

"I am stronger then the Emperor, I can overthrow him, and you and me can control the galaxy."

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

At that point, he was more interested in power then really saving Padme. I mean he pretty much states this to her later on.

"I am stronger then the Emperor, I can overthrow him, and you and me can control the galaxy."

Right. But that took place over the space of a couple of days. That's all but instant.

Hi,

Wolf, ur spot on!

Being a fan of films for over many years, I could see this in Anakin. A very painful life indeed!

Thanks for posting this, cause although I saw this originally, I will watch again, and take it in even more.

And when u have suffered all that pain (knowing form true life experiences), how can you think properly in certain situations.

It made him more real for me.

;)

Anakins fall was building up from his first encounter with Palpatine. Palpatine slowly manipulating Anakin over like 14 years. He was slipping in Dark Side teachings disguised as something beeneficial. When Anakin attacked Mace Windu he was conflicted. His duty to the Jedi demanded him to help Windu defeat the Sith, but his duty to his wife required him to save her at any cost. Unfortunately, doing so would require him to make a deal with the devil. What comes next seems fast and it is. Palpatine needs to keep Anakin's mind occupied with the thoughts of Padme. He tells him that he needs to become a Sith to save her. Thus, he attacks the Jedi Temple which sends him further down the path of the Dark Side.

But Palpatine is using Anakin, of course. After the assault on the Temple, he sends the newly anointed Darth Vader to Mustafar. Killing the Separatist leaders would send him even farther down the path. The final stroke is Anakin's duel with Obi-Wan Kenobi. Win or lose, his journey towards the Dark Side would be complete.

These scenes seem rushed, but knowing what happens behind the scenes sheds more light on his fall.

But Palpatine is using Anakin, of course. After the assault on the Temple, he sends the newly anointed Darth Vader to Mustafar. Killing the Separatist leaders would send him even farther down the path.

I have a slightly different opinion, I have always thought that Vader was sent to Mustafar and kill the Sep Leaders as a way for Palp to "prove" they where the "good guys" after all.

After Windu and then the attack on the Temple Vader was sent to "end the war" and brought about the "peace" the galaxy needed. Vader needed to be removed from the picture, but at the same time rewarded for what he had done, and the Sep Leaders were that reward.

I have a slightly different opinion, I have always thought that Vader was sent to Mustafar and kill the Sep Leaders as a way for Palp to "prove" they where the "good guys" after all.

After Windu and then the attack on the Temple Vader was sent to "end the war" and brought about the "peace" the galaxy needed. Vader needed to be removed from the picture, but at the same time rewarded for what he had done, and the Sep Leaders were that reward.

The separatist leaders were unarmed and the Jedi Code dictates that you don't kill unarmed prisoners. But I see Anakin killing them no matter what side he was on.

I don't see the Separatist leaders as a reward exactly. Palpatine needed them out of the picture and Vader was the perfect tool to do that.