Unexperienced crafter : Do business, dont kill gtn !

sirwyst

This is a desperate call to all NEW Crafters...:=(

I am not here to tell anyone to do anything, this is everyone responsibility. However, please be careful on your pricing and what you do to ensure you do not endanger GTN market price.

1) Purple and Blue items pricing

- Before putting on GTN an item you have RE, check the approx price of individual Mats. Happened to see some items listed at 2450 while it required like 5 Dragon Krayt MAT to build and each of them would cost you between 1k to 5k each ! This means the item you are selling 2.5k could cost you up to 25k to produce and not only you loose 22k in the operation but you totally destroy GTN market price list

2) Orange item

Same here and before you put on sell a nice orange item you learned from a schematic, check its market price please. I now see crafters putting some level 39 Phobium item at 1779 ! OMG !!!!! You could sell this from 10k to 25k at least......

While I am totally open for a sane competition between crafters, being cheaper is always good for the customer of course, we are all here to do business so please be careful....:=)

Same would go in combat where you would expect people to behave and play properly right ? While it goes same here.

Wondering what we can do...and I am afraid nothing much....

Maybe we should create a Merchant Guild like in old time and control GTN pricing...

Any suggestion before I start to cry because on non experienced players destroying a great economy market.....:=)

I don't get it. Some people undercut others, that's business.

Would you walk into a shop and say to them "excuse me you're selling this shirt for £5 cheaper than down the road I demand you raise your prices"

Edited by Iggster

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I undercut the market primarily for two reasons - usually the people have set their prices way too high to begin with, if they only took say a 20% markup over raw material costs, that's one thing...but they purposely post stuff sometimes 100's of times over their true value. Secondly I'm just "that guy" who does it because he can - I have plenty of credits and to me, I like to give people who are not as well off a break every once in a while. I honestly could care less about what people think "we" as players should price an item at.

I am of the opinion a person should sell for whatever price they want. And a little tid bit for those who feel they are being treated unfairly in the market...under cutting the market is the lowest common denominator here. It has always happened and will continue to happen in MMOs. Somehow you're going to have to deal with it because it isn't going away any time soon.

I'm not saying don't undercut, just don't do it by a stupid amount. <shrug>

I don't get it. Some people undercut others, that's business.

Would you walk into a shop and say to them "excuse me you're selling this shirt for £5 cheaper than down the road I demand you raise your prices"

He's saying you typically dont see shop owners selling items for less than they paid for them, because shop owners are dealing with real money and don't price things with the attitude of "ehh it's just a game". He has a point, if people wanna sell low that's their right, but selling things for less than it costs them to make, is just illogical.

Just like he said about combat, we are responsible for creating the game environment for one another, and messing with the market cause you "don't care", is irresponsible and selfish.

So is selling a level 11 purple for 60k... I know it's purple, but it's level 11!

With the working Search function in the GTN interface, there is no excuse for anyone to undercut by a huge amount. It takes SECONDS to look up the going price for any item anyone wants to sell, and only a few seconds (and a calculator) more to figure of the individual price of crafting mats.

I get that some people have enough money not to need to make a profit, but if that's the case, why sell anything on GTN at all? If you want to do people favours, just give them your items for free, hell, send random people presents just because you like their names if you want to be generous.

People will not buy things they feel are overpriced. If people don't buy, sellers will lower the prices eventually. So, when people STOP buying for MY prices, I will give them lower prices. But as long as there are people buying at MY prices, I will continue to sell for as much as I can. And yes, I will also pick up insanely cheap stuff and resell for a higher price, while giggling gleefully as I watch the credits roll in.

Personally, I don't think the real problem is with the prices some people are charging with the exception of accepting the default pricing. My personal view is that the default cost on the GTN for a given crafted item barely covers the cost of getting your materials by running missions exclusively so you should mark up from there. You can also figure that the default price on the GTN for mats barely covers the cost of the missions used to get those materials. If you go out do some plain old boring running around and harvesting you can drastically cut those cost values. Buying materials off of the GTN is only for those trying to climb to the top tier of crafting on an alt in as short a time as possible and they are paying a premium for that privilege.

Just my opinion, but the real problem is two fold.

First, the amount of materials returned by both harvesting out in the game world and by sending companions out on missions is way too low. A return of 2 to 10 items for a given mission is just way to low. The same goes for harvesting out in the game world where a return of 2 to 4 items per harvesting action just turns into a waste of peoples time for most people. Returns from missions should be doubled or tripled and harvesting out in the game world should be increased even more say 3 to 5 times.

The second problem is how missions seem to work. They really need to revamp the crew skill missions so that all missions for a tier show up and only get removed from the window when a companion is using that specific mission. Once a companion is out on a specific mission you should be able to tell the companion to run it multiple times similar to crafting items and let me queue it up 5 times so that I can send them off and forget about it for a while. Since those high tier missions can take 30 minutes to almost an hour, sending 4 or 5 companions off on missions that are going to take upwards of 4 hours to complete while I go to bed or work would improve their value.

Both those suggestions together would have a better effect on the economy then worrying about some guy selling for what you think is way too low of a price.

Anyway, I rarely buy raw materials off the GTN although I do look at them from time to time and just shake my head at the ridiculous mark up on them. I try to price my items to move and if they sell within 2 days I figure the price is about right. If the items sells in less then a couple hours I consider bumping up the price. If I throw an item up more then twice without it selling then I consider lowering my price on that item. But as a general rule I only mark up 3 to 5 times the base price on Tier 1 to 4 items anyway... For tier 5 and 6 items, I'm stockpiling right now and will look at the situation of selling my mats after I've crafted my main and my alts all the items I need.

Edited by Wizard_Thoarin

I think the prices on the market are freak'n nuts anyway. I've seen a ton of schematics on there anywhere between 15- 25k some not even purple. Crazy considering there is no real craft going on just get the stuff and send your lacky out and get it and do it.

It's pretty common for the Synthweaving / Armourmech modable schematics (before this patch, except at tier 1 and 6), as getting the one you want is tough. I spent months haunting the GTN (on both sides once legacy arrived) and running missions before I got the set. So many duplicates I made a lot of credits, even though I was usually buying for twice as much as I sold them for.

For a while the new ones will be quite pricy, but the prices for everything will drop eventually.

I personally love buying and selling on the GTN. Its a free market and prices are determined by what the market is willing to pay. I wish I could go into a store and pay a price that is attracive and convenient for me, but the reality is if I find a cheaper price for the same item somewhere else, I go somewhere else. If I'm not comfortable with the price of an item, I wait until the price drops. Where I live there are two gas stations right next to each other and it's amusing to watch them constantly raise and lower their prices based on what each other's prices are. That's real life. That's business. The fact that I can no longer throw items on the GTN and hope one sticks tells me the system is finally working as it was intended. I have to be the saavy arms broker now and Buy! Buy! Buy! Sell! Sell! Sell!, and I have to keep an eye on supply vs. demand and what's currently trending and with what items. It is surpisingly addictive for me. I don't want to reveal all the GTN secrets for those of us who make a comfortable living on the GTN, but if a little common sense and inginuity is exercised, much $$$ can be made. :D

I personally love buying and selling on the GTN. Its a free market and prices are determined by what the market is willing to pay. I wish I could go into a store and pay a price that is attracive and convenient for me, but the reality is if I find a cheaper price for the same item somewhere else, I go somewhere else. If I'm not comfortable with the price of an item, I wait until the price drops. Where I live there are two gas stations right next to each other and it's amusing to watch them constantly raise and lower their prices based on what each other's prices are. That's real life. That's business. The fact that I can no longer throw items on the GTN and hope one sticks tells me the system is finally working as it was intended. I have to be the saavy arms broker now and Buy! Buy! Buy! Sell! Sell! Sell!, and I have to keep an eye on supply vs. demand and what's currently trending and with what items. It is surpisingly addictive for me. I don't want to reveal all the GTN secrets for those of us who make a comfortable living on the GTN, but if a little common sense and inginuity is exercised, much $$$ can be made. :D

I agree. I don't normally play the GTN but at times find myself in that role. I have a good idea of the prices and trends of the commodities in which I deal. One simple fact is that players do end up with items that they do not want and just want to get rid of as quickly as possible, so they dump them at an artificially low price (often at what comes to mind without looking at the listings for the item) which gives a skewed impression of what the price should be. So if I go to list an item and there are five pages showing an average of 1,500 credits per unit and the first three listings are at 175 per unit, I buy and relist. If there is half a page of listings at 750 and fifteen at 1,500, I wait it out and see where the price settles. So far, with the new super dense but not merged servers, mats move quickly and there is not a high percentage of low ballers (whose listings are gone fast).

I have seen cycles of dumping and significant undercutting, but the downs don't seem to last very long and quickly work their way through the market. I have also seen cases where an item that is easy to obtain becomes scarce and the price inflates and then a little while later production ramps up and undercutting wars begin.

I am not sure if there are that many inexperienced crafters out there that are driving down prices; rather just the craziness (and fun) of a totally unregulated market that anyone can enter and which fluctuates madly in reaction to quickly changing supply and demand balance.

LOL, the people who drive me crazy are the single item listers. I just love it (when buying or selling) pulling up five pages of listings of a mat that sells for 1,500 credits per unit and finding that the first three pages are by the same person listing one unit at a time for 1,499.

I don't get it, when I see someone sell something at 1/10th it's value, I do the happy dance, buy it, repost for a profit. Underpricing fixes itself. When augment kits were going for 135k, some idiot posted 10 for 100k, I bought all 10 and reposted for 134k, in less than 3 minutes they all sold and I made 340k profit for like 60 seconds of work.

I usually buy right away the cheaper purple implants that sell below cost and put them back in the GTN for a profit, about a week or so someone was selling a purple 45 or 49 implant for 4 k, i bought it right away and sold it the same day for 25 k

Its just how the market works, in the Fatman seems like the market is going really low now for almost everything, for Biochem is very hard to make good money when implants sell for just 15 k and exotech sell for 12 k a piece

Im new to the crafting thing, my cybertech is only lvl 317. How do i know how to price stuff? I dont want to have stuff so expensive that lvlers cant afford it. Is Pricing all about matierials cost? IS there a fast easy way to look up mat costs??

I've seen these sort of posts in MMOs before - what you can take from it is that if there are people using the GTN (AH/marketplace/whatever) enough to wail about others ruining their profits by selling cheap, then that's evidence that a functioning economy has arrived.

Which isn't to say you should take the complaint itself seriously.

They do remind me of a quote from Adam Smith (the original grandfather of economics, for those who don't know. A Scot who propounded free trade, had no illusions about men's motivations, and possessed a nice dry wit):

"Men of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices.”"

Im new to the crafting thing, my cybertech is only lvl 317. How do i know how to price stuff? I dont want to have stuff so expensive that lvlers cant afford it. Is Pricing all about matierials cost? IS there a fast easy way to look up mat costs??

A) Check the GTN for existing copies of the item that you are selling or equivalent items.

B) Check the GTN for raw materials to determine cost of harvestables. The only real consideration here is how much someone is willing to pay. They cost you nothing but the time to harvest them and, to be honest, that time is negligible on a per unit basis.

C) For blue mission materials it is just a matter of figuring out how many items you got after running X many missions vs. how much those missions cost you. If you run 10 missions that cost you 10K credits and you get 50 blues, then each of those blues cost you 200 credits.

Not that you should be happy to sell them for 200, but that is your actual cost.

D) Purples are a bonus. Those 10 missions that you ran could yield 20 purples, or they could yield 0.

The GTN will provide a suggestion, but do not feel beholden to anything.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The point is that the market can change. Just because player X thinks that some purple material is worth 10K doesn't mean that it really is, and you can make a lot of money yourself if you offer up a large quantity of that material at a lower price.

The second problem is how missions seem to work. They really need to revamp the crew skill missions so that all missions for a tier show up and only get removed from the window when a companion is using that specific mission. Once a companion is out on a specific mission you should be able to tell the companion to run it multiple times similar to crafting items and let me queue it up 5 times so that I can send them off and forget about it for a while. Since those high tier missions can take 30 minutes to almost an hour, sending 4 or 5 companions off on missions that are going to take upwards of 4 hours to complete while I go to bed or work would improve their value.

I could really get behind this. I HATE needing a certain gemstone or something, and not only is it a lottery if I get the gemstone I need, but I can only send 2 companions for gemstones and then I have no more gemstone missions available at that level. Makes me not want to bother at all.

I could really get behind this. I HATE needing a certain gemstone or something, and not only is it a lottery if I get the gemstone I need, but I can only send 2 companions for gemstones and then I have no more gemstone missions available at that level. Makes me not want to bother at all.

Just zone or send another companion on a fast level 1 mission, you'll get more. I regularly have 5 companions at once on level 6 gemstone missions.