Lucas-Jar Jar, genius?

Nyo-Than

As an original Star Wars kid I detested all that was Jar Jar, but I brought my 9 year old to see Ep 1 3D this weekend and he laughed every time Jar Jar did something and said he really enjoyed the movie and couldn't wait for Ep 2 3D to come out. Lucas = Genius

Yeah I never liked Jar Jar. But taking my young niece and nephew too see the prequels when they were only little made me appreciate it all from their point of view.

Because Lucas made up a silly character with a funny voice who does stupid things and appeals to children doesn't make him a genius though I'm afraid.

I never had a problem with Jar Jar... I mean in a galaxy with over 20 million sapient species odds are that at least one of them will be retardedly stupid and annoying.... hell if you gather a group of just 20 individuals odds are at least one will be mindbogglingly annoying so I'm surprised there aren't a lot more of them in SW

Weird, I watched the movie when I five years old and I don't remember him being funny but that could be because the movie was ten times more intimidating and looked more serious at that age. I do remember Darth Maul looking more evil in my memories. Also the death of Qui-Gon always stuck.

I am sure kids like Jar Jar. But I believe there could have been ways to make Jar Jar less annoying for adults and still just as funny for kids.

You know Kids turn into Adults.

And using the Nostalgia goggles.. Those kids turned Adults will love Jar Jar...

the same reason why we love R2/c-3po

My 9-year-old nephew thinks poop is funny.

Nine year olds aren't often a good barometer-- that's all I'm saying.

well no kidding... how would a 9 year old be used to measure atmospheric pressure.. well maybe if you feed them a lot of mercury... tho that might be considered morally questionable

Edited by Liquidacid

My 9-year-old nephew thinks poop is funny.

Nine year olds aren't often a good barometer-- that's all I'm saying.

When it comes to a character specifically made for them, they are absolutely the best "barometer" of all. Infinitely better than overly cynical adults blinded by nostalgia.

When it comes to a character specifically made for them, they are absolutely the best "barometer" of all. Infinitely better than overly cynical adults blinded by nostalgia.

Of their own tastes, of course-- that goes without saying. But Lucas wasn't (apparently) meaning to make a movie exclusively for 9-year-olds. You can appeal to little kids without annoying the hell out of adults.

You know Kids turn into Adults.

And using the Nostalgia goggles.. Those kids turned Adults will love Jar Jar...

the same reason why we love R2/c-3po

You obviously got what i was saying. I do believe if the movies were made in sequential order there would be similar rage about how bad of a character c3po is lol

When I was younger [i'm turning 15 in April], I never had a problem with Jar Jar. Sure he was a annoying, more than some, but never hated him. In fact, watching it in 3D was amazing. He never annoyed me, and I heard all the little kids laughing [including my mother] at Jar Jar's jokes/voice.

I thought the funniest thing in the movie was the part when someone in the crowd shouting "Stranger Danger" when Qui Gon lifted Anakin onto his pod racer.

I. Laughed. My. ***. Off.

I think people who hated this movie should watch it again in theaters. It was one of the movies I didn't think was amazing in the SW Universe, but after watching it in 3D, IT WAS AMAZING TO ME.

You won't be disappointed, I think we're just missing the movies on the big screen again. =D

Jar-Jar is another of the archetypal characters in the Hero myths, the Loveable Fool (yes, I'm aware a lot of people hate him, bear with me.) Take, for instance, Merry and Pippin in Lord of the Rings, Scooby and Shaggy, or C-3PO. These are characters who either succeed because their purity of intention overcomes their incompetence, or their continued failure makes the Hero's Journey more interesting, adding dramatic complications. Heck, Inspector Gadget was a show CENTERED on the Lovable Fool.

Now, I think the character could have been done better to appeal to a broader audience, but he's more than just little-kid slapstick.

Of their own tastes, of course-- that goes without saying. But Lucas wasn't (apparently) meaning to make a movie exclusively for 9-year-olds. You can appeal to little kids without annoying the hell out of adults.

This. Look to films like The Incredibles and Up for examples of films aimed at kids that adults can also enjoy.

I am sure kids like Jar Jar. But I believe there could have been ways to make Jar Jar less annoying for adults and still just as funny for kids.

You clearly aren't aware of the entire baby entertainment. If you think Jar Jar is bad, go through 2-3 hours of watching Dora and Fruit Salad.

Actually he was. Originally star wars was intended to be a movie for children.

You obviously got what i was saying. I do believe if the movies were made in sequential order there would be similar rage about how bad of a character c3po is lol

But they wouldn't be raging about 3PO from EpsIV-VI... they'd be raging about the pun-factory 3PO from AOTC, which was beyond bad. 3PO was annoying, but not in a "I'm putting on a dumb voice, tripping over everything while accidentally destroying bad guys, stepping in poo, trying to grab things with my tongue, and having my face farted in" way. The closest to fart gags the droids were involved in was some of R2's raspberry sounds.

Actually he was. Originally star wars was intended to be a movie for children.

Most definitely, Star Wars is, was and always will be primarily for children. You think the giant merchandising empire built by Lucas afterwards was geared for the adults? No.

At it's core, Star Wars has always really been made for the children and the only reason people claim George Lucas is ****** their childhood or ruining the franchise is because it's different from THEIR childhood.

Anyone who grew up in the Power Ranger generation when it first came out might think it's awesome and it's the BEST series ever. Kids today, 15-17 years later see the new Power Rangers Samurai, or Dino warrior or kitty adventures or what ever and think that's the greatest Power Rangers Ever.

the ONLY reason you prefer the OT over the prequels is because YOU remember how awesome that Kids movie was when you, shockingly, were a kid, you look at the new movies and you see a kids crappy movie because it IS a kids crappy movie.

Think of all the cheesy acting in OT, there was a lot of cheesy lines and terrible acting, just like there was in the prequels. But your refined adult minds ignore that because you remember it being SUCH a huge part of your childhood that nostalgia prevents you from seeing what it truly is.

I enjoy Star Wars - I had never seen it before I was in grade 2 or 3 and a friend introduced it to me, he was a big star wars fan and I was more into comics and super heroes and the like (Power Ranges, Batman, Spider-Man, etc.)

He told me about these funny droids and cool space ships and lightsabers, I'm 25. That was only 19 years ago. I'm talking 1993 here.

I didn't get really into star wars until a few years later when I had watched it for the first time on VHS, maybe 1994-5. A few years before TPM was released.

Almost done here.

My point is, I was a kid when I was introduced to Star Wars, I loved them and I was still young enough to enjoy TMP when it came out in theaters and not ruin my idea of what star wars is.

YOU on the other hand to grew up watching the OT released in theaters, or in the 80's when RoTJ was released see the OT as a completely different beast.

While I think I, and many like me grew up in that in-between period where we could still fall in love with Star Wars and not see it as two separate entities, but an ongoing story.

For me, Star Wars Started in 1994-5 and ended in 2005, and I'm OK with that. Sure, as I grew with the franchise I recognized the increasingly kiddy parts of the movie, but only because I was growing up and star wars stayed the same - but it still makes an entertaining series of movies as a whole.