Lost Island HM - L5R

This fight needs some tweaks. My guild and I have been trying to down this boss for the last few days, and we've come to some conclusions.

1) The fight seems impossible for Sentinels to do. The Incinerate splash, even if you have great interrupts, would make it difficult. BUT, the problem will be that the boss will drop lightning balls on random people. If he keeps dropping balls on the tank and sentinel, the group is going to wipe.

2) Despite this, the fight can be done with one tank and three ranged, until the last phase. The floor has no downtime, the lightning lands fully extended AND does extra damage, with continually spawning adds. There were glitched balls that refused to dissipate, and the floor after a wipe would constantly bubble, so you couldn't tell where the lava would come from during the earlier phases.

3) I have tried this fight with trooper tanks, knight tanks, and shadow tanks. Shadow tanks seem to be the only ones where the healer can reliably keep the tank alive.

4) The sheer amount of AOE unavoidable damage during the last phase is ridiculous. No healer, sage or scoundrel, will be able to do anything during that phase. We have consistently dropped the boss to around 15-18%, but that last phase seems impossible to get through with the fully grown lightning on landing. I think it would be alright if the lightning was tweaked, or if the floor had some downtime during the last phase.

It is a tough fight but we have it down to a grind now, we use a Inq Tank, Melee Mara (me), BH Ranged and Ops Healer... It was tough at first but not impossible, we drop him first try now everytime.... best advice I can give u is to stay mobile and make sure ur tank moves him when needed and dont paint urself into a corner.... Edited by Amalak

I can assure you, it's not impossible for Sentinels to do. We one shot it on our first attempt, the day of the patch, with a Sentinel, and Commando healer, who had never seen the fight before. Only our tank (myself) and our Sage DPS had cleared it before on the PTS. People just need to be very aware of what's going on around them. It's a chaotic fight and if your group can't keep up with the flood of stimuli, you're going to wipe. As with every MMO, it's going to remain difficult to provide those who push hard a sense of accomplishment. If you can't manage, the inevitable nerfs will come and make it something people can sleep through.

This fight needs some tweaks. My guild and I have been trying to down this boss for the last few days, and we've come to some conclusions.

1) The fight seems impossible for Sentinels to do. The Incinerate splash, even if you have great interrupts, would make it difficult. BUT, the problem will be that the boss will drop lightning balls on random people. If he keeps dropping balls on the tank and sentinel, the group is going to wipe.

2) Despite this, the fight can be done with one tank and three ranged, until the last phase. The floor has no downtime, the lightning lands fully extended AND does extra damage, with continually spawning adds. There were glitched balls that refused to dissipate, and the floor after a wipe would constantly bubble, so you couldn't tell where the lava would come from during the earlier phases.

3) I have tried this fight with trooper tanks, knight tanks, and shadow tanks. Shadow tanks seem to be the only ones where the healer can reliably keep the tank alive.

4) The sheer amount of AOE unavoidable damage during the last phase is ridiculous. No healer, sage or scoundrel, will be able to do anything during that phase. We have consistently dropped the boss to around 15-18%, but that last phase seems impossible to get through with the fully grown lightning on landing. I think it would be alright if the lightning was tweaked, or if the floor had some downtime during the last phase.

Hi, Marauder here, I've cleared this place every day since 1.2 hit so I couldn't help but laugh at your gripe about bringing a Sentinel in the beginning.

Also, had you looked a few threads down before posting this drivel, you would have found a guide to get through Lost Island.

It is a tough fight but we have it down to a grind now, we use a Inq Tank, Melee Mara (me), BH Ranged and Ops Healer... It was tough at first but not impossible, we drop him first try now everytime.... best advise I can give u is to stay mobile and make sure ur tank moves him when needed and dont paint urself into a corner....

We've tried that too. Maybe the classes aren't mirrored, I'm not sure. What I do know is our last few runs we were PERFECT on our placements... but the last phase is just impossible to heal through with either Scoundrel or Sage. We weren't locked in corners. We weren't trapped. The balls landing extended was the problem.

some of you, btw, are missing some major points. Our fights are glitching. Balls are not disappearing. We aren't 'overloaded' by stimuli, we simply cannot avoid the huge damage from balls landing every 2 seconds fully grown across the entire map.

We've read guides, we've watched videos. We do fine until that last phase.

Constructive words, please. Labelling things as 'drivel' when there are valid concerns only paints you as an immature troll.

I would just say to have DPS set up there burst rotation for the last 15% of the boss fight and just shoot for the end as quick as possible. My guild did this with what I would consider the worst group comp possible (1 powertech BH and 3 merc BH's -> WTB interrupts plz) and our solution was simply control the spawn of orbs, AOE the adds quickly, and burn the boss fast and hard. In the end it worked better then expected. Edited by Codek

some of you, btw, are missing some major points. Our fights are glitching. Balls are not disappearing. We aren't 'overloaded' by stimuli, we simply cannot avoid the huge damage from balls landing every 2 seconds fully grown across the entire map.

Constructive words, please. Labelling things as 'drivel' when there are valid concerns only paints you as an immature troll.

First off, the classes are mirrors.

Second, I doubt you're getting glitched since the lightning barriers last a ridiculously long time, and you're striking me as someone that tunnel visions.

Third, it is drivel when you use words like "unavoidable" for mechanics that are easy to step out of.

TL;DR PEBCAK

Lost Island is now one of my fav HM. At first it seemed so difficult and "impossible".

My favorite part is that there are alot of options for handling his movement. As far as the OP: Last night we had 2 sent. Vangaurd tank (me) and a Sage.

Our gear? Mostly columni. And the healer was full Columni. The first few attempts didnt go so well, But we committed to learning the fight and I have to say those guys were some of the best DPS and Heals that I have ever had the chance to run with!

Can't Wait to run it again tonight!

I love this FP as well. We probably get through it in hard mode now in about 45 minutes to an hour depending on BIO, etc... It took us 4 hours our first time but we have it on farm already. With that said, the FP should drop a bit better gear for the difficulty level. Perhaps some black hole commendations off the last boss?

Word of advice - if you want constructive words, don't start a topic saying "Encounter is too hard/impossible, it needs nerfing". This is not constructive and it just opens the door for people to flame you.

This fight, and LI as a whole, punishes players that don't pay attention to the mechanics. Pre-1.2 most of the FPs and Operations were easy enough that players could ignore mechanics and get healed through them anyway, or the mechanics were so easy that they didn't matter, now with the new ones it is no longer the case. The droid is a great fight that forces players to pay attention and learn.

DPS can avoid Incinerate by staying behind the droid. Even getting a tick, while painful, is healable as long as it doesn't happen too often. Healer can easily dispel the DOT that it places as well. Lightning pools aren't difficult to avoid, everyone just needs to be aware of their surroundings and get to a safe spot. Running through lightning is sometimes unavoidable but as long as you don't stay too long in it, it doesn't hurt too badly. Lava barely deals any damage and as long as you keep moving through it.

If the room becomes completely filled with lightning then you probably need more DPS. That's part of his soft enrage timer.

This is a great fight and I really hope it is NOT "tweaked" (ie. nerfed).

Alright, again, let me make something clear.

The only person who gets hit IS the tank with incin, and it gets cleansed immediately. I know this, because I AM the healer in this fight. Our team moves together, we make sure the balls are spawned in a certain way. There is no 'chaos' going on with movement.

Our group is a Sage healer, Sage DPS, Gunslinger, and Shadow Tank.

Again, we have read many guides. Watched many vids. We get him down to 60% within 3 balls, usually. I don't see how we can really up the dps when everyone is dumping as fast as they can. Everyone in this group is a mix of columi and rakata. This isn't a 'tunnel vision' group.

We have tried many strats, we talk about what is causing the problem. The problem is simple.

The balls land, FULLY grown. No matter how fast you move, the fact that they just keep dropping on the group every 2 seconds and that there is no avoiding the first tick or two is what is causing the problem. As soon as I see that little marker, we're moving.

The fact that there is nowhere to go that will not damage you is the problem. I don't mind hard, I don't mind difficult.

I do mind when there is literally nowhere to go that will not hit you with hard damage, and you only have 2 seconds max before another fully grown ball lands on your face. It is the last phase alone that is a real problem.

Alright, again, let me make something clear.

The only person who gets hit IS the tank with incin, and it gets cleansed immediately. I know this, because I AM the healer in this fight. Our team moves together, we make sure the balls are spawned in a certain way. There is no 'chaos' going on with movement.

Our group is a Sage healer, Sage DPS, Gunslinger, and Shadow Tank.

Again, we have read many guides. Watched many vids. We get him down to 60% within 3 balls, usually. I don't see how we can really up the dps when everyone is dumping as fast as they can. Everyone in this group is a mix of columi and rakata. This isn't a 'tunnel vision' group.

We have tried many strats, we talk about what is causing the problem. The problem is simple.

The balls land, FULLY grown. No matter how fast you move, the fact that they just keep dropping on the group every 2 seconds and that there is no avoiding the first tick or two is what is causing the problem. As soon as I see that little marker, we're moving.

The fact that there is nowhere to go that will not damage you is the problem. I don't mind hard, I don't mind difficult.

I do mind when there is literally nowhere to go that will not hit you with hard damage, and you only have 2 seconds max before another fully grown ball lands on your face. It is the last phase alone that is a real problem.

There is no "last phase" as everything is constant.

And you're right about one thing, the problem is simple. Unfortunately, you're not seeing what the problem is. What the problem actually is, is your group. You're simply not good enough to move out of bad stuff.

I agree that the fight is quite tricky with melee. But with 3 ranged executing the mechanics properly there should be hardly any damage or chaos in this fight. Please watch the following video of what I consider a pretty clean ranged kill of LR5 and bear in mind all 3 of the points you've made above while watching it are totally wrong!

There is no "last phase" as everything is constant.

And you're right about one thing, the problem is simple. Unfortunately, you're not seeing what the problem is. What the problem actually is, is your group. You're simply not good enough to move out of bad stuff.

Yes. Because it is oh so hard to go "Oh look, lightning, I should move." You're right, it shouldn't be. Why is it that no matter how often I say that the ball lands every two seconds fully grown no one listens? There is no avoiding the damage. We are CONSTANTLY moving, and it doesn't matter. I do mean constantly. How do you just 'move' out of damage when it is everywhere you go? We move, I get a heal off, and then we move again. It doesn't. Matter.

Everything is fine until that last 20% of his life. We avoid everything until that last 20%, when it is literally impossible to avoid anything.

I agree that the fight is quite tricky with melee. But with 3 ranged executing the mechanics properly there should be hardly any damage or chaos in this fight. Please watch the following video of what I consider a pretty clean ranged kill of LR5 and bear in mind all 3 of the points you've made above while watching it are totally wrong!

Great vid, but that's not L5R hard mode. The whole grate didn't blow up, for one. And the balls didn't land fully grown. Nice try tho.

Great vid, but that's not L5R hard mode. The whole grate didn't blow up, for one. And the balls didn't land fully grown. Nice try tho.

I assure you it is!

Edit: If you really don't believe me look at this from the same run (you can see it's the same run by looking at the state of my quests in the top right and the group composition and the time in the bottom right and how it matches the previous boss videos) here is the last boss which grants the codex entry saying (Hard) at the end:

Edited by snazbaz

You say this fight is not possible, yet many others have beaten it just fine, with similar/lesser gear? You really don't see the problem here? Maybe everyone is lying about beating it, it's a giant conspiracy! Edited by hulkweazel

Definitely hard mode, fire does not show from the grates at all on normal mode.

Yes. Because it is oh so hard to go "Oh look, lightning, I should move." You're right, it shouldn't be. Why is it that no matter how often I say that the ball lands every two seconds fully grown no one listens? There is no avoiding the damage. We are CONSTANTLY moving, and it doesn't matter. I do mean constantly. How do you just 'move' out of damage when it is everywhere you go? We move, I get a heal off, and then we move again. It doesn't. Matter.

Everything is fine until that last 20% of his life. We avoid everything until that last 20%, when it is literally impossible to avoid anything.

Again, you're using words like "literally impossible" which simply isn't true, no matter how much you think it is.

Also, the whole grate doesn't set on fire, and the only way the lightning balls grow faster is if you're not interrupting plasma arcs. Again, PEBCAK.

Then our group is permanently glitched or something, because in that vid above, your grates are never 100% filled with lava. You're able to safety dance your way across them constantly.

When we run it, there is not one single grate after 20% that is not full of lava. Ever.

No matter how often we interrupt the arc, the balls spawn. No matter how often we do it, the balls are fully grown.

I'm not tossing my hands up and saying we aren't going to keep trying, and I'm not saying other people can't do it... what I am sayign is that the difficulty due to the damage in the last 20% is ridiculous. There is difficult, and then there is ridiculous. This feels like nightmare mode stuff to me, not hard mode.

1) The "balls" are electric fields - they are not cast by the mob, they just 'happen'. You need to move the mob away from them.

The incinerate can be disrupted and the main tank needs to be cleansed. Running through the fire to move the players in the group need to be cleansed. The tank should AOE taunt to grab the adds onto him and smash/stomp and the dps take em down as necessary otherwise ignore them. - keep them off the healer.

I agree the fight is ridiculously difficult for the other encounters inside the instance. I'm of an older generation that does not react as fast as I should for this set of mechanics

It *does* need to be toned down only a hair. If the electric fields didn't grow to huge proportions that would be adequate for the encounter to be still utmost difficult and equally doable by all group make-ups.

And finally, someone acknowledges it.

I don't wnat the fight 'nerfed'. I want the balls to not be full grown when they land during the last 20% of the boss' life. The difficulty is great. The lightning balls being huge when they land is the problem. The ONLY real problem. Everything else is workable.

If they just toned down the size of the balls on landing during the last 20%, it would still be a damned hard fight, but it wouldn't **** people who aren't already in motion before the blue aoe marker shows up.

The balls landing at full size means that your dps isn't good enough.

LR-5 has a soft enrage mechanic at exactly 3 minutes where he doesn't kill you, but the environment does.

That being said, I've done this fight with 2x melee, 1 melee/1 range, and 2 ranged, and the only time this fight is truly "impossible" is if you do not have a reliable ranged interrupt (i.e. not the healer) for incinerate while the boss is being moved.

Edited by JeyKama

I want the balls to not be full grown when they land during the last 20% of the boss' life. The difficulty is great. The lightning balls being huge when they land is the problem. The ONLY real problem.

That is the soft enrage mechanic for the fight - it has nothing to do with LR-5's health. It happens after 'time x' into the fight: floor bubbles up everywhere and he drops fully grown lightning balls every 2 seconds.

If you run into this, you don't have enough DPS on the boss.

As for Sentinels making the fight non doable: rubbish.

I've done this boss on hard mode twice with a Sentinel DD and a Commando/Gunslinger respectively. The melee DD requires some more precision in boss placement by the tank, but is perfectly doable.