My PvP impressions of the Pyro build(lvl 25)

Torothin

I'm only level 25 so take this with a grain of salt people. Let's keep this informative and without bashing. First I will post my build so far.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301ZZfI0dzo.1

The name of the game for me is DOT. I am guarunteed a DOT after using flameburst which allows for a rail shot along with a DOT from IM which allows a rail shot. Stun and Rocket punch are also excellent combo's that do not require much heat.

But for me Flame burst is my most commonly used weapon hands down followed by the explosive dart. I am building mine to be Melee so most of my fights are up close and personal as I am spamming flame burst and waiting for my rocket punch and rail shot to cool down.

Grappling hook is going to be another go to utility. It's very nice with regards to grappling someone into acid, off a ledge, or to your group to pwn them. So far, I am the top DPS dealer in almost every WZ I have been in. I'm not sure if I am building mine right but I think the key is the DOT. If not with the flame burst then you can always get the DOT from IM which allows for the rail which is probably your biggest nuke at this lvl.

We're doing a lot of group PvP in my guild and are usually rolling 3 PT's and 1 Merc for healing. The Proto scores higher than me due to the use of guard but I am almost always top damage dealer in ever WZ.

Again, I'm not sure if I am utilizing this build properly but so far it appears it is an up close and personal dps machine that has some great AOE, DOT, and initial DPS with a reasonable tank. An all-rounder if I do say so myself. If you have a healer with you, you will own almost any class in WZ.

honestly mate,

read my post again. READ what it says.

bread and butter of pyro. pretty much everything. the majority of ur damage. comes from rail shot.

this is not the case for AP.

the majority of ur damage comes from elsewhere.

Taugrim, the reason he is saying that RS is money for pyro is b/c of talenting Prototype Particle Accelerator 3/3. Fully talented gives 30% chance after flame burst and 45% chance after a rocket punch to END the CD of RS and NO HEAT COST. It's pretty wicked when you get multiple procs in a row on every other GCD to launch a free RS.

EDIT:

Def not saying it's not good for AP b/c it's a great skill across the board and proccing guarantee crit if skilled for it is nice, but in a Pyro build there are times when you are almost able to spam RS along w/ FB/RP and still have under 40% heat usage. B/c if speced right you can vent 8 heat with every RS on a burning target with CG cylinder up. Just make sure to have incendiary missle ticking on your target.

Edited by Twizzlar

Although, I can see what you mean by bread and butter for pyro (reseting CD), what I believe Taugrim was saying is that RS is the blow that tips the scales for AP. With 60% armour penetration and a guaranteed crit it is insanely good and doesn't matter if its not the main source of damage. It is the ability that kills them.

As a side I'm looking to try this out. My only thoughts would be to go higher into pyro to get 30% RS crit damage and lose out on the RP damage and charge. Which would turn out better I definitely need to test.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301RRGbbRboMZZbIbrzh.1

Although, I can see what you mean by bread and butter for pyro (reseting CD), what I believe Taugrim was saying is that RS is the blow that tips the scales for AP. With 60% armour penetration and a guaranteed crit it is insanely good and doesn't matter if its not the main source of damage. It is the ability that kills them.

As a side I'm looking to try this out. My only thoughts would be to go higher into pyro to get 30% RS crit damage and lose out on the RP damage and charge. Which would turn out better I definitely need to test.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301RRGbbRboMZZbIbrzh.1

I also like this build, but have not tested it. Do you know if the icendiary missle counts as burn effect for the free heat vent of superheated rail if one is using the shieldtech cylinder, or do you have to switch cylinders?

The endurance isn't worth it at all, its just a means to an end. You are using ion cell, so no reason to put points into the others (with the exception of the 30% armor pen and extra heat vent), but you have to put points somewhere to get higher tiers. All the 2-4% endurance talents need to be removed for all classes in my opinion. They are horribly unoriginal, boring and nonfunctional.

I also like this build, but have not tested it. Do you know if the icendiary missle counts as burn effect for the free heat vent of superheated rail if one is using the shieldtech cylinder, or do you have to switch cylinders?

As far as the talent description goes it should, if it actually functions as it says is an entirely different matter. The incnd missile should cause the burn effect. Lvling a BH now to test it.

railshot pyrotech

90% armor pen

30/45% proc with free heat

15% additional damage

36% crit bonus

railshot AP

60% armor pen

3% crit bonus

6% additional damage

proc auto crit

looks like pyros rely heavily on RS and APs on Retractable blade and FB procs

I respec to pyro for a couple of level and i don't quite like it.

Granted I'm only 38 atm, but I think pyro will really shine at 46 once you get the rest of multiplier from other tress (+6% crit for fire, 60% armor penetration for example)

Its too proc based and hence heat management is unreliable... I mean one good thing is that you can kite nicely by applying flame burst... but sometimes you get no proc and you're sitting there with high heat and no way to keep the pressure on.

It does have pretty good single target dps... I'll see how it fairs in pvp once I get to 46 with all the complimentary talents... this spec should be a dot/crit spec

Somehow I think I'll go back to shield tech... its low dps but durable and mobile.