Chat bug?

oveyonkanobie

So, running a few flash points tonight and I wasn't able to use chat.. I could type in the chat box, so could other people.. but it would not go in to the chat box......... Everyone in my guild had this issue, so I am assuming its a wide spread issue..... would have been nice to talk to group members again...

Also, log out and back in does not fix the issue....

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad it is not just me then, I restarted my computer, router, modem, everything. Shoulda looked here first I suppose :p

Also on Ebon Hawk!

Someones ERP broke the game :eek:

Same. Logged out first. Then tried restarting the game, then rebooting. I could see the connection was fine, and I was at my wits end trying to talk to a friend. I finally discovered it wasn't just me when my guild started putting things in the guild MOTD.

1. In an effort to curb trolls and bot/gold sellers all chat has been turned off on the ebon hawk. (In jest)

It is quite annoying

(It is in the patch notes this particular problem even though I have never seen it till today)

Edited by Punknaught
Patch notes

I played around with chat a little bit; hope this helps with debugging:

• The /say, /yell and /me channels all seem to work fine
  • Whispers to other players work fine
  • Guild and Party chat work fine
  • All other channels (General, PvP, Trade as well as custom channels like LFG) are buggy in that they will stop working after a few minutes.
  • Player login/logoff and guild member login/logoff messages also seem to be missing.

It is possible to temporarily get chat working with the following commands (replace general by the chat channel name):

• /cleave general
  • /cjoin general
  • /1 test

Then, you can once again write in chat, read in chat and see the join/leave messages for ~10 minutes. After that, you no longer see any messages from the chat, and when trying to write something, it does not show up in chat.

Also, you can get chat working by logging out of the character and logging back in. This causes you to newly join all chat channels and you will be able to use chat for a few minutes.

Edited by Jerba

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Quick update on the chat issue. We believe we have isolated the problem and we are actively working on a fix. We are going to be testing this fix throughout the night and our current plan (assuming it looks good in testing) is to apply it tomorrow. As it stands now, this fix shouldn't require any downtime.

For the issue itself, it does appear that volume in chat is related and that as more people are in chat, the issue can get worse. EU has already gone through their "prime time" but for all of you NA folks, you can expect higher visibility of these issues as you move through your servers peak times.

Again, I will get updates to you as I have them and currently a fix is planned for tomorrow which will not require any downtime.

-eric

Hey folks,

Quick update on the chat issue. We believe we have isolated the problem and we are actively working on a fix. We are going to be testing this fix throughout the night and our current plan (assuming it looks good in testing) is to apply it tomorrow. As it stands now, this fix shouldn't require any downtime.

For the issue itself, it does appear that volume in chat is related and that as more people are in chat, the issue can get worse. EU has already gone through their "prime time" but for all of you NA folks, you can expect higher visibility of these issues as you move through your servers peak times.

Again, I will get updates to you as I have them and currently a fix is planned for tomorrow which will not require any downtime.

-eric

Um, the chat bug is the least of my problems. Whatever you guys did, i can't launch the client. I keep getting an error. :mad:

Pretty sure that this patch was to fix something chat related such as ooo I dunno "permanent disconnection from the chat server" as to quote BioWare. I guess their definition of fixing something is doing the opposite. And to think I actually pay a monthly subscription fee and what do I get in return? Patches that fix bugs but adds more bugs, and patches that are to fix something but breaks it all together. You'd think EA would actually be on top of this with the dwindling subscriptions, oh wait, they are more concerned about making a new MMO with Disney cause we all know how great a company they are.

errr....it would seem in game chat is down again? :mad:

I spend more time talking to my guild then anything else in the game, you guys are forcing me to level AHHHHH!!!!

Might just be me though, why do I keep getting disconnected from the chat server :(

Edited by Hoshkar

Pretty sure that this patch was to fix something chat related such as ooo I dunno "permanent disconnection from the chat server" as to quote BioWare. I guess their definition of fixing something is doing the opposite. And to think I actually pay a monthly subscription fee and what do I get in return? Patches that fix bugs but adds more bugs, and patches that are to fix something but breaks it all together. You'd think EA would actually be on top of this with the dwindling subscriptions, oh wait, they are more concerned about making a new MMO with Disney cause we all know how great a company they are.

From what I heard, the chat problems started even before yesterday's maintenance, so it was just bad luck that it fell in the same timeslot as the patch, and was not the fault of the patch.

Nevertheless, I do appreciate Musco's post. It is great that they offer so much transparency on this issue.

Also, as bad as this bug is, I really like the response to it. After so many bugs where they waited until regular maintenance or when the weekend was over, it is encouraging to see that they will still work overtime when there is a pressing issue.

Let's hope this will be fixed soon! :)

Edited by Jerba

it's spreading... :mad: now not only chat is borked, taxi's are going on strike too...

Alderaan taxi's are sometimes refusing to transport passengers.

Imperial Communication Equipment seems to be down too intermittently, because I also get disconnected regularly...

Edited by LeJarC