On Companions

Damask_Rose

Yay finally! This was in the patch notes for 1.4 on the test server:

General

Players can now use "match color to chest" for their companions, and can choose to show or hide companion head gear.

Companions no longer have their weapons drawn on the player's starship.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only concern about married companions in the family tree is that you're assuming all of a character's children are the offspring of the married companion. My first toon, a juggy, married Vette, and they've got a daughter, but he also has a daughter and a son with Jaesa. How do you propose linking that in a family tree that supports married companions?

Yay finally! This was in the patch notes for 1.4 on the test server:

General

Players can now use "match color to chest" for their companions, and can choose to show or hide companion head gear.

Companions no longer have their weapons drawn on the player's starship.

I was super excited about this!!

I think a legacy option to use your alts companions would be awesome.

For instance it could be implemented that characters with max affection could be used to anyone tied to the family tree.

As a tank I carry a healer around, not a big fan of Doc though for my knight and it would be awesome to have instead Mako. Or to send Scourge to run around with my SI.

-- same gender romances are expected during the "story" patch.

One thing I am absolutely against to have in game but as long it is confined to privacy of one's ship then knock yourself out, we live in tolerance age after all. :)

I like your other ideas and would have one more: that companions are being able to benefit from armor set boni for specific class.

Back into the studios for more voice acting and recording please. I know it's an mmo and they should devote a lot of resources into ops and fps and such...but this game is special because of the immersion and story. It's special because it makes you feel special when you play.

My first character was a JK sentinel and I played almost nonstop because it was like some great book that I couldn't put down, and the kicker was I was made to feel like I was an integral part of all of the best parts of the book. Once he got to post 50 content he didn't really feel that special any more. My guild fell apart and went back to WoW so I don't see much group stuff anymore.

Anyway, with the other characters I have leveled I've gone much slower to savor the story and the feel because I know there isn't much after 50 for them with their individual stories. I hope and pray this changes soon. I hope they add so very much more with our companions and our stories.

• 1 month later...
One thing I am absolutely against to have in game but as long it is confined to privacy of one's ship then knock yourself out, we live in tolerance age after all. :)

I so hope this is just an unfunny joke. I was thrilled to see my rl sexuality could be mimicked in game. Its bad enough that kids call everything thats **** gay - please dont get upset about gay cartoon characters. Accepting them wont make u any less butch :p

All very good.

I would love to change my companions spec. At the moment there is only one real healer (I know the droid can heal but its not really a fully rounded companion) so if that Healer turns out to be scum what can I do but forgive him. I would much rather turn a Jedi Shadow into a Jedi healer and have here healing me and the like than have them left on my ship useless.

A second point is some reason to outfit more than just one companion (in most cases the healer). As it stands most my companions on my main have end gear equipment as you end up with hand me downs or just plain coms that you may as well spend. But at the moment there is little point, I can only have one out at a time and being DPS its almost always going to be my healer. The rest are at best crafting units and worse completely ignored. If there were places that multiple companions could be used then this would lead to a reason to outfit more than one of htem.

I would enjoy seeing most of these things in the things to do with compaions are a bit sparce. I would also like to see affection have both postive and negative, where if it got far enough below 0 your compaion would still do improved crafting out of fear.

For Example Vette, if you want to use her to craft etc you have no choice but to take off her colar and be nice to her, you cant constantly shock her for bad results, and break her will like a sith might do with a slave. I would love to be able to get it to -10000 affection and have her still get the same bonus to crafting speeds and results she does at 10000 affection

There is really no reason not to just say what the compaions want to say there is no dark or light side for any choices, and you get bonuses for having high compaion affection with nothing for low affection so why not say what they want to hear, be mean to the ones that want it in your conversations with them and nice to the ones that want it. Makes me feel like i have split personality, I am this mean horrible sith, but when i talk to a compaion who likes good things am nice to them give compliments etc, because it gets a bonus with crafting missions.

I think it would be cool to also utilize them in some way during your questing, i mean, have them for certain stuff, like have Vette hack into the facility you are going into so all the tougher droids are disabled.

It would just be quite cool, to make use of those companions on your ship that just don't do anything besides slicing missions (my companions do them endlessly)

YES-YES-YES-YES-YES-

- Quests where you would have multiple companions out at the same time would be cool, put probably not in the current tech.

No....

*keeps reading* YES-YES-YES-YES-YES-YES!!!!!!!!!!

Please Bioware, give us all of the things except the one above, I know that'd be a really hard one to implement...

• 4 weeks later...
I'm thinking of either going free to play or quiting for a while until they come up with companions in flashpoints. When you get to lvl 50 in this game its just like every mmo all about loot and raids. I didn't join OR to do this I thought it was a story driven mmo not a loot one.

Just typed this up on another, smaller, thread on companions thought I'd add it here as well. Most of the suggestions seem to be focused on companion story lines, increasing the options of romances and making the companions feel as if they are more alive.

I have two main issues with companions in their current form, lack of flexibility and lack of variation at end game.

Having unlocked six characters to 50 now and also unlocked all of the associated alts to maximum affection finishing all companion conversations (a nice +300 presence bonus) I find it slightly dissapointing that I only ever seem to use one companion per character.

I have found my play style when soloing the dailies greatly favours the healer companion, very rarely need any down time between combats and their Crowd Control ability helps in some of the tougher combats.

Having seen the HK-51 companion become an unlockable comapnion for other characters (all be it for 1,000,000 credits each) after the initial quest it got me to thinking of how feasable it would be to allow fully unlocked companions to be opened up for use on other level 50 character you have.

I wouldn't have this as a new companion to have affection rating increased or even usable to run missions (you still have your normal companions for the class to do all of that). Rather it just opens the companion up for use. Any gear modification or customisation options would still have to be done on the companions original character.

Secondly, and perhaps an easier option, I'd also like to see the option to change the focus of a companion to any one of the five styles (Healer, melee tank, ranged tank, melee dps, ranged dps). I find this an unfortunate restriction as I believe in the Beta or before companions had kits that allowed the player to choose which role they filled. In my opinion this would be a far better option allowing for greater player attachment to their character and companion set ups.

This also aids greatly in some of the issues I had while levelling a character and not yet having access to the companion that fitted my playstyle. My first playthrough was with a Powertech and Mako was such a natural fit that I never had another companion out aside from a brief spell with Torian during the Belsavis dailies. I am however dreading playing my healer specced mercenary as I know both tanking companions are only available much later on (and one of them I can't stand, Skadge I'm looking at you).

As noted above I greatly favour having a healer companion out for my characters and yet with the exception of Mako I hate, well perhaps that's a bit strong and best reserved for Skadge, I dislike all the Imperial healers for other classes. While I really enjoy romping around on my marauder the whiny nasal tones following me around from Malavai starts to niggle. I would much rather have Vette by my side with a belt full of Kolto grenades.

With a little creativity and imagination there is no reason why a companion can't fill any of the five styles of support.

Combining the above two suggestion would open up the possibility of a character at end game having access to a rota of 40 companions to run around with all of them having the same viability.

Edited by Vhaegrant

Added in the need for Covert Armor to show skin with all of the companions. Vector has a fan club that would like him to loose his prudish undershirt!

Him and Aric both. Makes me wonder what they have under there :cool:

I do have to wonder if Aric will get rid of his undershirt when the cathar race is released if it's a case of needing to change the underlying model's color patterns because of race. But then that brings up the question of what the heck is going on with Vector?