"UNSCHEDULED" Maintenance...

DrWeebs

because that's not their plans.

The 2nd maintenance is necessary atm because since the transfers, servers need to be restarted more often, they can't work properly for 7 days with the population we have know on the servers.

The 2nd maintenance is necessary atm because since the transfers, servers need to be restarted more often, they can't work properly for 7 days with the population we have know on the servers.

1.3.4a Patch Notes

7/26/2012

General

Fixed an issue that could allow players to gain unearned items or crafting materials.

Absolutely nothing the game needed to be taken down for, this could have and should have waited until Tuesday

1.3.4a Patch Notes

7/26/2012

General

Fixed an issue that could allow players to gain unearned items or crafting materials.

Absolutely nothing the game needed to be taken down for, this could have and should have waited until Tuesday

Absolutely agree with said statement. I really wish they would choose what a priority is compared to what can wait for the regular maintenance. I guess I am in the minority that wakes up at 3am every morning to get in an hour to play before heading off to work at 430am. End up getting home at 6pm and off to bed at 930pm to do it all over again the very next day which leaves me an extremely short window to play. Now throw in the "unexpected maintenance downtime" for stuff which can be held off until the regular maintenance schedule on Tuesday's which seems to be every week and it gets real old real quick. Woke up this morning yet again to see the servers down and wouldn't be up for 4 hours.. well after i was already at work (takes me 2 hours to drive to work).

Heaven forbid said person does not get that primordial artifact or those Augmentation Slot Component from RE'ing greens or even crafting an item. Those individuals after seeing they didn't receive anything would have put in a ticket and relized it was being worked on and held off RE'ing or crafting anything after and could wait a week. Absolutly nothing that couldn't wait to bring down the servers.

Edited by haliy

1.3.4a Patch Notes

7/26/2012

General

lmao your silly. Ok let me paint you a picture.

So an exploit that grants items or crafting mats is found by players. They exploit it till bioware puts a stop to it immediately. games economy and daily lives continue.

Here's your picture. People find exploit, bioware does nothing for about a week. People get money, mats, and/or mats. Bioware puts a stop to the exploit and repremands anyone who was using it which with almost a week up is ALOT more people then 1 or 2 days. People flame, blame bioware for not shutting it down in time not themselves for continually exploiting.

So why can't they reset the servers that need it, and leave the others? Honestly now, this isn't hard stuff, its basic networking 101, and should have been thought of when the engine was in developed. Heck they did this on MMO's in the 90's ffs.

So an exploit that grants items or crafting mats is found by players. They exploit it till bioware puts a stop to it immediately. games economy and daily lives continue.

Here's your picture. People find exploit, bioware does nothing for about a week. People get money, mats, and/or mats. Bioware puts a stop to the exploit and repremands anyone who was using it which with almost a week up is ALOT more people then 1 or 2 days. People flame, blame bioware for not shutting it down in time not themselves for continually exploiting.

Not seeing how that requires 2 - 4hrs of downtime to implement.

I'd suggest using a hot fix to BW but given their track record of successful cold fixes it would probably end in disaster.

^^

I don't see an issue with them taking another night of maintenance to fix an exploit.. Good for them for promptly fixing an issue that can effect the economy..

For all you moaners, grab a Kleenex, Bioware did the responsible thing and fixed an exploit before it became a real issue, and yet you berate and put them down for doing this outside "scheduled" maintainence ?

Really some of you guys should be ashamed. IT IS A GAME.

Gratz to bio for nipping this in the bud. And yes i was disappointed to not get on after work today, havent played in over a week, i discovered this and i went and read a BOOK. this aint the be all end all of your life.

Normally I would agree with everything you've said, as in a standard MMO it make perfect sense and would be a sensible argument. SWTOR is not a standard MMO or sensible though. Firstly the economy in the game is non-existent so an exploit like this hardly effects anything. Secondly Bioware has a track record of ignoring important issues until the tuesday maintence. Look back to Soa months ago when he was horribly broke and unbeatable, and every week Bioware released an update that claimed to have fixed it, that night guilds ran EV got to Soa and noted every bug stayed in place, Bioware then just tells us to wait till next patch day for their new fix rather then attempt a hot fix (or another patch that "totally works this time!").

Bioware has a history of waiting on game breaking bugs, so them waiting to fix an exploit that will hurt and economy that doesn't exist isn't a huge deal.

Gratz to bio for nipping this in the bud. And yes i was disappointed to not get on after work today, havent played in over a week, i discovered this and i went and read a BOOK. this aint the be all end all of your life.

I read Star Wars The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance by: Sean Williams. While also listening to Star Wars the Old Republic Collector's Edition CD Soundtrack OST. (Perfect Combo!) ;)

1.3.4a Patch Notes

7/26/2012

General

Agreed. But did we need yet another whine thread about maintenance ... this is what the 2nd or 3rd thread today whining about maintenance? :rolleyes:

Agreed. But did we need yet another whine thread about maintenance ... this is what the 2nd or 3rd thread today whining about maintenance? :rolleyes:

If BioWare didn't want nine hundred thousand of these popping up everytime, they wouldn't lock the maintenance announcement threads.

I think they want the abuse. I think they like it.

Not seeing how that requires 2 - 4hrs of downtime to implement.

I'd suggest using a hot fix to BW but given their track record of successful cold fixes it would probably end in disaster.

Because every single patch on a server needs 2 things. First a complete backup of the server just in case something bad happens and second a period of testing after the servers come back up to make sure everything is working correctly before they can open it to player logins. Those two phases take time.

Its also likely that they are applying server side performance tweaks to improve stability but they don't get put into the patch notes.

If BioWare didn't want nine hundred thousand of these popping up everytime, they wouldn't lock the maintenance announcement threads.

I think they want the abuse. I think they like it.

It's the only thing that makes any sense at this point. :D

1.3.4a Patch Notes

7/26/2012

General

Actually, it WAS something that needed to be done as it was an unintended exploitable bug. Those things are bad because it puts things into the game that were never intended. So yes, it was needed. Glad Bioware reacted so quickly to address it.

Because every single patch on a server needs 2 things. First a complete backup of the server just in case something bad happens and second a period of testing after the servers come back up to make sure everything is working correctly before they can open it to player logins. Those two phases take time.

Its also likely that they are applying server side performance tweaks to improve stability but they don't get put into the patch notes.

Oh for a proper test server. :(