Noob question about AoEs

Because Im not likely to get a response in General...

You know how ground targeted AoEs put a visual circle on the ground? Yeh, whats the actual radius on those? Is there some kind of standard to it, like "stand twice as far away as the circle" or something?

For whatever reason I never thought to ask about this before, I usually just end up eating an AoE or being the hell away from it to begin with. I havnt done any HMs or OPs yet(obviously), but this is something I kind of want to know before stepping foot inside any 'serious' content where an AoE is going to eat me.

I could just run as far away as I possibly can, but I find sometimes I need to stop ASAP to heal on my Operative and getting hit even if Im well out of the circle a good couple seconds before it hits.

This is for the AoEs in general, not just for OP encounters. Its extremely notable for things like... the dailies on Belsavis, and where some Eshka use Death Field that seems to hit anywhere near it regardless of where the visual effect is. Or those bloody fire probes 75% of the Mobs seem to have.

The visual effects are not the actual radius of the AOE, you have to check the actual ability description for that. Yes, many AOEs have a larger area than what is shown on the screen. Edited by ViperI

Whether by design or just slack coding the actual radius of the circle put on the ground is not always exact. You usually have to move way out of the radius indicated by the circle. In some fights, such as the last boss of esseles, you not only have to move out of the circle but you must jump too. I don't know if this was by design either, anyway get used to moving out of stuff indicated on the floor but outside the circles radius by quite a fair distance. I have found using the strafe keys (Q and E) the best and quickest way of doing this. Edited by Flain