New player looking for DPS advice for Flashpoints

I've only been playing this game for a couple of weeks, so still pretty new and only mid-level. Anyway, I'm leveling up a BH Mercenary as a DPS and I wasn't quite sure how I should be handling mixed group pulls in an instance. For example, if there are 2 elites, 2 strongs and 2 normals then how should I approach it as a DPS?

Should I focus on the normals, strongs or elites first?

Should I use AoE?

Should I worry if I pull threat from the normals or strongs? (I will worry if I pull threat on an elite!)

Basically, I'm looking for some advice on what other more experienced players would be expecting from me as a DPS so I can hopefully meet those expectations.

Edited by TigerRaven-sb

If you're fighting 2 Champ, 2 strong and 2 normal at the same time, you're going to wipe.

The standard way to tackle multiple mobs in a FP is to CC the champ/gold, have to tank target the strong, and the dps target the normal. After the normal mobs are dead, move onto the strong, then move onto the champ last.

Kill order: Weak -> Normal -> Strong -> Elite -> Champion -> Boss

This is due to the fact that the weaker mobs will be dead and unable to throw any damage at the group if you kill from weakest to strongest, yet if you hammer the strongest mob and ignore the weaker ones later, the weaker ones will be throwing damage at you for a long time.

When to use AOE: Do so when there is nothing near the AOE that is CC'd and if you can take damage if you get aggro from the mobs for a few seconds.

Worry when: Pulling Boss aggro, champ aggro, or elite aggro. Worry when pulling multiple strong aggro. Don't worry about anything else (you'll kill them faster than they could do a lot of harm). If you follow the kill order and CC when possible, you won't have to worry about pulling aggro from the strongest mobs. Unless you off heal, you'll also only get aggro from things you damage that the tank hasn't damaged.

As a Merc, you'll be expected to use your CC when needed. You won't have to interrupt (you have none, anyway). You may be asked to use your knockback.

Also, best of all, ask for the boss strategies before initiating any fights. Those in your group that want to finish the flashpoint will explain what you need to know.

Also, standard solution for your situation:

You: CC one elite.

Another DPS (if able): CC other elite.

Tank: Pulls during your CC channels toward a strong mob or the elite if one isn't CC'd

Healer: Heals

You & other DPS: Kill the normal mobs, then the strong ones, then whichever elite the tank breaks CC, then the last one.

The end.

Edited by ImmortalAlien

Thanks a lot. That was a very insightful and helpful post. I don't think I have a CC ability yet (I have a 4 second stun, but that doesn't count), but I'm only L19 so it's probably coming once I level up a bit more.

So far the flashpoints I've run (the first two) have gone fine, but I've felt a bit lost as to what exactly I should be doing. Other players have also been good at explaining boss fights, but I never got any indication of how to handle the non-boss pulls. From reading your comments I have a better idea of what my role is in the group and what the other players will expected from me. I'll have to run some more flashpoints over the weekend to get some more exposure to them. Thanks again, appreciated.

Another good idea if you're unsure of what to target in a trash pull (trash are the groups between boss fights) is to ask the group leader to mark targets and tell the group which targets are priority (I.e. kill flame->gear->lightning etc)

Hope that helps!

Another good idea if you're unsure of what to target in a trash pull (trash are the groups between boss fights) is to ask the group leader to mark targets and tell the group which targets are priority (I.e. kill flame->gear->lightning etc)

Hope that helps!

Marking targets is always helpful in any group, especially PUGs when some people obviously won't have the same expectations of what the priority is (e.g., which of the 3 strongs is the priority?).

In addition to a kill order, it is very helpful to mark any targets to be CC'd and always use that symbol. It makes it very easy to tell when switching targets.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, very helpful. Marking targets would be helpful, but I've yet to see anyone mark targets in a flashpoint so I needed an idea of what I should be killing first (thus, my original post).

Anyway, the groups I'm doing seem to be going fine and I'm getting more confident playing my BH. I got my CC ability yesterday and I've been putting it to good use in some groups, like when a patrol elite walked in on us fighting 2 other elites (the tank died that fight but the rest of us managed to kill the bad guys, so we won!).

Edited by TigerRaven-sb

Mainly depends on how geared your tank and healer are. If they are slightly undergeared probably a good idea to CC something. If the tank has like 24k health and your healer is in full rakata/BH gear it would probably be more effective to just smash their faces in.