Jedi Knight vs Jedi Consular story (underrated?)

JFrombaugh

I dislike both stories because I find them terribly boring, incredibly clichéd and very much predictable. The voice acting (atleast for the male characters) doesn't help either.

I don't like the male voice acting for either class either. I do like the female voices though.

I would play a consular,because any Force User story is a big yes for me as long as it is set the Old Republic time and done by Bioware, but he is still the only class that i haven't started properly, for the following reasons:

I always play male, and i just can't stand the male consular's voice and manner of speaking.It makes me wanna destroy the screen.It makes want to torture puppies and eat babies.

He is just absolutely 100% tunnel visioned to be goody two shoes and gay(excuse the slang) and goofy.I am not talking about the story, i am strictly talking about the character himself.He gives me very,very bad vibes and i just can't stand him.I don't think i have ever hated a playable character so much in all my life.as much as i hate the male consular.

For now i will just save this class for when i get completely tired of all other classes,bordering on quitting the game(still haven't 2 years and counting),for a new refreshing experience with a female consular.

this is the male consular.

Edited by Kaedusz

I actually liked the Consular story more than I thought I would after hearing all the ************ about it.

Sure, the Knight's is tough to beat; going on epic adventures and taking on the Emperor himself and all that is exactly what I signed up for.

However, becoming a powerful force user, forging alliances, and raising an army was pretty fun too.

I also like the consular story. It is (as have said here before) very much kind of story that i expected consular to have. But ofc little more story of a sage than story of a shadow.

Lot of ppl like things active and sharp turns and suprises like agent story(which to me was too obious, "foilhat" and bit boring), but as diplomacy is big part of my own life consular was fun to play with both adv. classes. :)

Still to me, as a feeling only really satisfying rp ending was inquisitor (but ofc endings allways are hard to make...)

Consulars can do so much more than this kind of missions shown in the class story - the story writers just didn't see them.

Just read the newspapers - it is not hard at all to imagine so much "secret diplomacy" going on the zthe background ... Like an Agent's story ... But no, the story writers chose to use the most cliché form of an "diplomacy" story available ... :(

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

i have to admit when i first started playing the consular way back when the game was realized i enjoyed the story up until nar shaddar, i got a tad sick of the same thing over and over again heal mad jedi so i left him for about 3 or 4 mouths. i finally tred through chapter 1 and then like many i agree the rest is amazing i was hooked.

im not fond of a few of the consular companions i like Zenith a qyzen but i really dislike ireso and much like the Zalek i think your padawan has far to few duologue they both seem rather rushed but the story is far more of what a jedi truely is and like Bioware have said is does feel more like your Obi wan while the knight is clearly based on Anikan always rushing into battle.

I've heard that a lot of people complain that the story for the Jedi Consular is really boring, and I completely disagree. Let me explain... (Warning: Spoilers below!)

Bioware themselves have said that the Consular is based on Obi-Wan Kanobi, while the Knight is based on Luke Skywalker. So, first off I will admit that Consular story does start off kind of slow, however, by the start of Chapter 2, the Consular character really finds his feet and he really becomes...well, in terms of personality & abilities you very much become like Master Satele Shan in many ways, you know? You're still a relatively young Jedi, but throughout the prologue even, its heavily implied that there's a stud in there, a rock inside that alien who's exceptionally strong in the Force, that could be a better Jedi leader than Master Yuon was, a better Jedi leader than the Order has seen in a long time.

You start off like all jedi, you know, as a padawan. Then you go about saving these afflicted Jedi Masters, and you've got this Jedi Council's pet healer/wise man kind of personality, and by design, you know? You can't just start the character off perfect, there's nowhere to go from there.

And up until the end of Chapter 1 your character prefers words to action, much by design. But in Chapter 2 it's time for him to step it up, because the Republic is in danger, and the Empire plans to hit them while they're vulnerable. As thanks for all the Jedi you saved and defeating this plaguemaster, you end up becoming a Jedi Master & Barsenthor,the latter of which is a title of extreme respect given to a trusted diplomat and warden of the order. Your job in Chapter 2 is to convince a number of planets that the Republic cares about them by fighting the Imperial presence on each world - because if those worlds do secede there's no way the Republic will be able to survive the Sith Empire's assault. And then in Chapter 3, when the peace treaty is shattered by the Empire, is where you find that next gear and really become this Jedi Master that all of the Rift Alliance worlds & the races you recruit unequivocally tell, "Yes, we will follow you to the seat of the Empire and beyond." The final boss of the Consular story I won't spoil for you, but suffice it to say that it really played out in a way I did not expect. And at the end of the story, you end up becoming part of the Jedi Council (though you still go off and fight the Empire on Illum). How awesome is that?!

As for the Jedi Knight, correct me if I'm wrong (I haven't actually played one), but from what I've seen a lot of it is predictable lightsaber duel after predictable lightsaber duel. Even though it does culminate with you killing the Emperor (which is undeniably EPIC), according to the lore behind the scenes, not only does he ultimately actually survive, but instead of removing the evil influence and allowing the Empire to accept a new path of life as the Knight had intended, they're now more determined than ever to destroy the Republic and the Jedi.

Having said that, I think the main reason why so many people prefer the Jedi Knight's storyline is because it involves a lot more action, remembering what the Jedi are supposed to be about. This lawful good overdrive. We're supposed to be superheroes, you know? Even if we are defenders of peace, we can't just sit around while the Empire kills innocents, murders Jedi, and enslaves force-sensitives. And I think a lot of players want to feel that overdrive -- we're in it to make the galaxy a better place. And I think also the Trooper storyline has its own version of that, you know, stopping to consider what's happened the past couple of years and what's been lost and fighting for the good of the Republic and all. Plus I know a lot of people really like classic warrior classes in MMOs (I myself have always kind of liked healer classes and I would definitely point out that the Consular, especially the Sage, is not really intended to be a "warrior" or "fighter" lore-wise)

But I definitely think the Consular's story is very well-written in it's own way. You'll be proud to be a Jedi by the end of this thing, regardless of which class you choose. :)

(On an unrelated note: I've always thought the male Consular voice sounds a lot like Alex Trebek.)

Anyone else who has played both a JK & JC agree?

You refer to the consular class as a "he" throughout this post.

Not played JK fully yet, but I did find my JC quite boring, but I think this was mostly due to the male voice acting rather than the story.

Just felt, emotionless and dull ( I know Jedi aren't meant to show emotions as such, but even Obi-wan showed some emotion.) Not played female JC though, so can't say there.

Probably didn't help i was leveling as a healer either :p

Sith Warrior is still the best <3 So Much Fun XD

The female Consular and Female Inquisitor voices have one thing I really enjoy - a lot of their options make them come off as very naive and well intentioned people. The Inquisitor can basically be 'yes mommy thank you' when dealing with Zash, and the Consular is very 'oh no bad things are happening stop bad thigns D:'

It makes them very entertaining, and I certainly never found the Consular dull or emotionless.

I've just finished Chapter 1, and for me the story picked up on Alderaan. Class Quest really resonated well with the Planetary Quest there, and I finally had companions I could care about, Tharan and Holiday. Tharan really kept me playing through Tatooine, because the writer and the va manged to capture the vain, brilliant and smug feel of a university creature. Holiday is a brilliant touch too, with a number of mysteries, aka is she a real woman (she is very much like the holos of the Jedi Masters the JC sees in the Prologue) and the whole 'what is sentience' and 'could you betray your sister' implied bit... aww.

And, the ending of Chapter 1 was epic enough for about anyone. It downplayed the whole dying/YOU are healed aspect, but other than that, pretty nice! And now we are only a Bonus Series away from meeting Zenith. Can't wait :)

JK roll-up of the chapter one was quite emotional though, and the way Kira is tied up in everything made me sad, because Tharan had little more than a couple of interjections here and there. But, Kira seemed to be so far the most story-invested companion I have seen. She feels like a Jaheira of this game (if anyone remembers Jaheira... doubt it).

Now, I am about to go back to what I love the most - chasing Skavak down. :) I still love the Smuggler's run the best so far.

Propably mostly because it's faster to type "he" than "he/she":)

My Sage is female and I talk about her as she, maybe posters consular is male:-/

I'm pretty sure it's because the TC's character was/is a male.

In terms of being male or female the Consular always struck me as being female due to things like having a female master, or the male Consular not getting their romance companion till their last companion, and as someone else pointed out earlier the Knight seems to be more like Revan (Male) while the Consular seems to be more like the Exile (Female)

As to the topic at hand, just imagine how the story could've been had they combined the two Jedi stories. As in a single Jedi focused story that takes the best elements from both stories and ditched the stuff that didn't work, or heck keep all of it so that the player could have that many more class missions through the game. I also feel like the same thing could be applied to the the Warrior/Inquisitor storylines as well.

I'm pretty sure it's because the TC's character was/is a male.

In terms of being male or female the Consular always struck me as being female due to things like having a female master, or the male Consular not getting their romance companion till their last companion, and as someone else pointed out earlier the Knight seems to be more like Revan (Male) while the Consular seems to be more like the Exile (Female)

As to the topic at hand, just imagine how the story could've been had they combined the two Jedi stories. As in a single Jedi focused story that takes the best elements from both stories and ditched the stuff that didn't work, or heck keep all of it so that the player could have that many more class missions through the game. I

also feel like the same thing could be applied to the the Warrior/Inquisitor storylines as well.

I had similar immersion too:p I played many story/story heavy side missions

with my friend playing Sentinel and me Sage. He is male and I am female. Not saying it couldn't have worked other way too but for us female consular and male knight felt right choice immediately. We basically chose classes based on voice acting at beginning, I'm glad choices fitted so well:D

Not played JK fully yet, but I did find my JC quite boring, but I think this was mostly due to the male voice acting rather than the story.

Just felt, emotionless and dull ( I know Jedi aren't meant to show emotions as such, but even Obi-wan showed some emotion.) Not played female JC though, so can't say there.

Probably didn't help i was leveling as a healer either :p

Sith Warrior is still the best <3 So Much Fun XD

I agree with you on the dull voice acting of the male consular. I played a female consular. I played her as a cool level headed lightside jedi sage healer. That is how the story made most sense to me. I can see why people would be bored with it, but I sure enjoyed it.

As to the topic at hand, just imagine how the story could've been had they combined the two Jedi stories. As in a single Jedi focused story that takes the best elements from both stories and ditched the stuff that didn't work, or heck keep all of it so that the player could have that many more class missions through the game. I also feel like the same thing could be applied to the the Warrior/Inquisitor storylines as well.

Like Adaliaya, I play Female Consular in tandem with my husband's Male Sentinel, and it works well. However, my Revan is a female (and Carth was adamant about it in KOTOR2), as well as the Exile. I do not see much of the resemblance to either in the Jedi Consular, because both KOTOR1 and in particular KOTOR2 leaned towards mature characters, their story being that of dealing with the sins of the past and either reaffirming or rebuilding self. The SWTOR story is the traditional Coming of Age, the young, fresh power star, from the blank slate.

I have both male and female JK made, but I have no plans for a male Consular. It takes too long to get Tharan. Nadia is nice, but not enough to suffer Qyzen.

I would not mind a tandem of SW/SI with my husband (me playing as a male SI this time, because Ashara >>>> Andronikos), but he is leaning towards IA, so I guess I will have to play a Space Nun to his James Bond eventually.

Edited by DomiSotto

I would not mind a tandem of SW/SI with my husband (me playing as a male SI this time, because Ashara >>>> Andronikos), but he is leaning towards IA, so I guess I will have to play a Space Nun to his James Bond eventually.

Aww, Domi, Andry's cute! I promise! Human, yes, but still adorable in his gruff way.

I understand the Consular story gets better in Act II and Act III, but I'm just having difficulty getting to that point. Honestly, Qyzen is rough. I don't hate him, but I think I like every other first companion better then him. No, you're not stuck with him as long as you're stuck with, say, Kaliyo (I like her, but I understand everyone who is horribly sick of her by the time you get Vector, especially LS agents), but his garrbled alien grunts and clicks just irritate me.

And there are only so many masters you can save before you get weary of the whole deal.

(Waves) At this point I am lowering my expectations of a male RI companion to 'not a doormat' (sigh).

Jedi Consular story starting with Alderaan is great, and even the coolness of the Smuggler's Act I conclusion sequence paled compared to the moment when Zenith shot and Tharan squealed on Balmorra. Master Quinly Dur may have frowned, but I, the player, royally enjoyed myself.

• 2 weeks later...
And, by now, Jedi Consular story and character are my favorite of the lot I have played so far, beating out the Smuggler. If you rolled a Consular, and going tired of the Master Healing Qyzen-laiden stretch, STICK to it! Once you get past Nar Shadda, you suddenly go from the worst cast to the best cast, and from the boring plot to the thrilling plot. Basically, I think, minimizing the time on Coriscant and Taris is the way to go. The best times I had in the game was with the Consular on Balmorra. Edited by DomiSotto

• 2 months later...
I haven't finished either story as of yet, I just came back to the game after a long break. The one thing I would like to see would be for some of the companions to be able to be shared. I like the consular play wise, but like the guardian companions so much more.

The female Consular and Female Inquisitor voices have one thing I really enjoy - a lot of their options make them come off as very naive and well intentioned people. The Inquisitor can basically be 'yes mommy thank you' when dealing with Zash, and the Consular is very 'oh no bad things are happening stop bad thigns D:'

It makes them very entertaining, and I certainly never found the Consular dull or emotionless.

The female body types irk me, so I haven't really played them at all. Anyone who hasn't tried the male inquisitor really should, though. The voice acting is superb and really funny. The acting for the male consular is rather bland, especially when compared to the rest of the voice acting in the game which is of very high quality.. I liked the story a lot though. It's kind of the opposite of the smuggler, where the story is extremely weak, but the acting makes it enjoyable.

I think we do the stories a disservice by comparing them directly, though. Each one offers a different focus and explores the game world in a different way. Regarding the knight...it's actually best, imo, when you don't focus on being LS, per se, but on making choices that achieve your goals, either lightside or darkside. It makes the choices much more difficult and makes the character very interesting.

Regarding dying a lot as consular, mentioned in a previous post....this sounds like a gear problem. As a healer, you should be able to get through pretty much anything. I'm guessing that either you, companion, or both aren't adequately geared. It may be that companion doesn't have enough juice to hold aggro and stay alive or it may be that your heals aren't big enough to keep him alive.

Some people leave companions in green gear, but I don't find that workable, myself. I like to be able to solo heroics and green geared companions don't cut it for that. This is especially true if you're dying a lot. That's a gear and/or rotation issue. If you don't have a cybertech and an artificer, make them so you can put both of you in orange gear and fill it up with blue inserts. Gear to level and make new ones when you find yourself dying again. Make sure you and Qyzen have up to date weapons, offhand, ear and implants, as well. Get the best relics you can, although if you aren't lightside or ds, that can be an issue. Don't go pure crit as you want your non crit heals to be decent, not just your crits. If you aren't sending Qyzen in first, do that, although if you're properly geared, that's unnecessary. Also, go to Dulfy or Noxxic and read about rotations.

Also, make sure you're fully buffed going into tough fights. If you don't have all the class buffs yourself, you can always ask people.

Edited by errant_knight