Is RE broke?

Priam

More people have been reporting difficulty obtaining lvl 48/49/50 blue/purple schematics since the game released, it has nothing to do with the patch. So far it looks like the highest lvl items are quite a bit more difficult to RE than all lower level stuff. You're just unlucky, keep trying.

Nope. I'm working on level 21 items. Same problems as other people.

I tried for hours yesterday to turn a low level blue. Nothing.

Don't know if its the patch. Don't really care. Needs to be adjusted. Needs to be made more reasonable, at least so that we can keep up with our current level.

RNG this high removes the fun from crafting. No one has ever said, "man, I love failing". ;p

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had really good RE runs in random places like Corellia or Nar Shadaa. I've also had really bad ones on the Fleet.

Welcome to randomness.

PS For anyone that thinks RE os "broken" since the last patch - this morning I RE'd around 15 things and got 7 schems, which is an awesome streak. 6 blue, 1 purple. Nothing super high level (they were level 29-37 range). Guess I must be the luckiest person in the whole wide world since RE is "broken".

That's because they're low level crafts. The proc rate has always been way higher on those. Max out your crafting and then we'll talk again.

I procced 7 patterns (blue and purple) on my lvl16 character yesterday (armstech, fwiw), that means nothing and tells nothing about the proc rates later on, which are atrocious at 400 crafting for max level patterns.

Also the reason I say the proc rates are lower is because I was done leveling my professions weeks ago, so I've been sitting at this level for quite a while (iow I've got a ground for comparison). It might be RNG but I don't believe in unlucky streaks of weeks for this many people.

Edited by MareLooke

I'm pretty sure that the probability for RE success increases logarithmically with the level of the item your attempting to RE. Just from pure observation there is about a 1 in 5 chance for the level 20 gear to be successfully RE'ed into a blue. As the items increase in level, the chances for a successful RE decrease at a rate greater than exponential.

If the chance for a successful RE was constant than everything would RE successfully at a rate of about 1 to 5. Which we know it does not. If it increased linearly with the item level, than if we have a 1 to rate at level 20, then at level 40 you could expect a 1/10 chance for a successful RE. Though, based on my observations the success rate for level 40 gear is in the 1/15-1/25 ratio. While the difference between a 1/10 and a 1/15 success rate might not seem like much of a difference. A 1/10 success rate is almost half as more likely to occur than a 1/15, as 1/10=.1 and 1/15=.0666.

The rate for a successful RE at higher levels is much to high to make crafting a viable means to acquire gear. The lack of resources and the labor intensive manner which they are gathered. Really prevents people RE'ing to blue gear above level 40. The gear you get from questing is only marginally worse than what you can craft and takes about 1/3 of the effort.

Edited by Mrtheox

I thought it was a level issue also, but I failed to RE a level 19 from green to blue, 47 times. Switched characters tried to make RE blue armor mod level 21 failed 30ish times ran out of mats. Switched characters tried to make a blue level 31 implant failed all night, which was 69 tries. I have run into a horrible run of luck, but I don't believe its broken. For a week now I have failed to RE a green to blue at any level. I would guess several hundred tries over 4 characters and no success. I suspect i will start making RE left and right as soon as this famine breaks. I love the fact I am gambling, and not crafting... :mad:

Has anyone seen an RE success since?

Yup. This morning. Heavy armour bracers level 33, took four attempts to RE green to blue.

Oh yeah, and last night, level 2 skill mod, about 6 attempts to get blue.

There are some items that seem to never give a new schematic, however much you RE them though. It would be nice if there where some indication of which ones they where...

Edited by FrostyDroid

lol I have the worst luck, over the past 10 levels I've RE'd over 100 different Might Mods/Armoring for my companion and zero discoveries. I'm going to murder someone, I swear.

Here's my current progress @ level 33: http://i.imgur.com/jnN1V.png I'm just stocking up on as many mats as possible now. I have to be over 100k of literally wasted creds for 0 blues. I'm going to RE those down (another 80 RE's) and then I'm giving up. I can't afford to do it anymore.

The hilarious part is, I learn all the blue Resolve recipes within 2 or 3 RE's, very fast. At this point I'm just blowing all of my cash to learn 1 blue Might recipe. Why? Not because I need it. Because I'm determined to not let the game beat me.

I'M GOING TO DISCOVER A MIGHT RECIPE AND YOU'RE NOT GOING TO STOP ME, GAME!

Edited by TaintedSquirrel

Nope. I'm working on level 21 items. Same problems as other people.

I tried for hours yesterday to turn a low level blue. Nothing.

Don't know if its the patch. Don't really care. Needs to be adjusted. Needs to be made more reasonable, at least so that we can keep up with our current level.

RNG this high removes the fun from crafting. No one has ever said, "man, I love failing". ;p

I bought a new level 21 loot schem yesterday. Made 8 blues, had 1 leftover after I got all three purple recipes out of it. So that was 7 tries, 3 level 21 schems.

I've been REing since day 1. So far I've been able to RE 23 purples from green schematics.

The higher the level of item, generally the longer it takes to RE from green to blue to purple.

I've had three lvl 48+ purples in the past two days. I don't think it is broken, just FAR more difficult to make a lvl 48+ purple vs. a lvl 10 purple.

( I did a lvl 49 off-hand and it took two weeks of RE to get from blue to purple, maybe 35 tries. It isn't supposed to be easy. )

Edited by kiltsrock

That's because they're low level crafts. The proc rate has always been way higher on those. Max out your crafting and then we'll talk again.

I procced 7 patterns (blue and purple) on my lvl16 character yesterday (armstech, fwiw), that means nothing and tells nothing about the proc rates later on, which are atrocious at 400 crafting for max level patterns.

Also the reason I say the proc rates are lower is because I was done leveling my professions weeks ago, so I've been sitting at this level for quite a while (iow I've got a ground for comparison). It might be RNG but I don't believe in unlucky streaks of weeks for this many people.

Lol max out my crafting? My crafting has been maxed out since I was level 25, tyvm. And that was weeks ago as well. I've been getting purple schems since less than a week into the game sweetheart so don't use your condescending "I'm a better crafter than you" tone with me.

As for "HIGH LEVEL" I worked on the reuseable level 48 Ultimate medpac this morning and got it on the 2nd try. Prior to that I've only RE'd the blue for that around ten times.

Edited to add: I love the attitude that if you're crafting low-level stuff surely you must be low-level. I'm not in the crafting business to sell 1 item at 250k a pop so I can be uber-rich. Some of us actually like crafting and really like helping people level.

Edited by Larkie

Mare, don't bother. Every thread I've seen so far, on the subject, has this fellow posting that he has a golden goose in the corner dropping blue and purple schems left and right.

Spending hours gathering mats only to have nothing, at all, to show for the invested time and effort is a bad experience. If there was a set figure such as: 20 times mat cost for blue and 40 times mat cost for purple, to have a guaranteed result, that would make the system semi-bareable. I RE'd a green item over 90 times to finally get a blue schem and this was for a low/mid level armor piece; I was almost to the point of pulling my hair out.

The rates associated with reverse engineering these items should be the same as it was before the patch, and it should be possible to learn the blue to purple recipes.

Any chance we could get some figures on what the RE rates actually are? Best of my own ad-hoc tabulations in documenting my Armormech progress seem to be holding steady at about 5% across the boards no matter what I'm RE'ing in terms of green to blue or blue to purple.

I got purple keen mod 22 after maybe five greens and five blues...

Too bad I'm a sorc, and my blue mettles have gone through over 3 stacks of ciridium. Set all companions making 5 of them overnight- wake up to waste a slew of them for nothing.

But, that's crafting- I like the system.

I've also had some trouble since 1.1 getting endowment. I'm going to make a concerted effort to get one over the next couple nights - I'll try to remember to post my results back here.

Since I said I'd try...

I've found two or three endowment recipes since posting this. It still tends to be the last of the T2 prefixes I find, but not always, and not with a large enough sample size to be significant yet anyway.

Before patch 1.1, I was able to get blue schems as a cyber tech from lvl 48 green craft RE's in about 3-4 RE's, purple schems from the blues in about 5-10. Now, since patch, 50+ greens with no blue and well over 100 blues with no purps. Something got broken.

The worst case of "bad luck" I've had so far was trying to RE a Relentless Synth Waistcord (Level 49 Green).

It took me a good 40 tries to get the Overkill T2 Variant. Not what I wanted though. Another 20 or so for Redoubt, and then at least 10 more after to finally get Critical.

Going from T2 to T3 nearly had me sweating blood.

70+ Tries for the first T3 schematic, Leadership (Presence) which was of course not the one I wanted. Out of sheer stubbornness I stuck with it, and another 50 or so attempts saw Tempest (Shield) and another 40 or so after that yielded Supremacy (Alacrity). Along the way I had more "You already know this schematic" messages than I care to recall.

All told it probably took me 200+ T2 RE's to finally get the specific variant T3 (Endowment, surge) that I was after, and I'm sure close to 300 total RE's of the base item for the entire process.

A very basic change I would like to see, barring an actual increase in RE rates, would be to remove already known schematics from the possible RE list for an item to cut out that "You already know this schematic" message. With a base chance that seems to be somewhere around 5%, having only a 20% chance to get the actual variant you want even on a successful RE, even when you know all the other variants, is incredibly painful.

Another nice change would be to eliminate some of the T2 and T3 variants altogether based on base item stats. For Example, the Relentless Synth Waistcord - Lvl 49 Medium armor with 62 Str, 41 End, and 6 power. There is really no gearing scenario in which the Redoubt variant is useful, and it could safely be removed as an RE possibility. In the same vein, the "Tempest" (shield) T3 variants could be removed as well. Even in a best-case scenario of T2 +Defense and T3 +Shield, this is never going to be a tanking belt. Why include the possibility of wasting already rare RE successes on stats the item is clearly not designed for?

Before patch 1.1, I was able to get blue schems as a cyber tech from lvl 48 green craft RE's in about 3-4 RE's, purple schems from the blues in about 5-10. Now, since patch, 50+ greens with no blue and well over 100 blues with no purps. Something got broken.

Before you were having a very good streak apparently because that quickly is unusual, not the norm. Now you're on the opposite end of the spectrum. Nothing was broken, it works fine. It's called random for a reason.

I haven't had an issue until the last few days. I've reverse engi'd over 100 blue lvl 49 implants (critical nano-optic reflex i think) without learning a single purple schematic. This is getting rediculous. I will have 20 more in inventory when I log in tonight...if I don't get one then...i give up.

That sounds more like you were on a rediculously good streak previously and luck finally caught up with you.

More people have been reporting difficulty obtaining lvl 48/49/50 blue/purple schematics since the game released, it has nothing to do with the patch. So far it looks like the highest lvl items are quite a bit more difficult to RE than all lower level stuff. You're just unlucky, keep trying.

Yesterday I reengineered over 20 level 49 blue chest pieces and didn't get a purple schematic. That's approximately 50 hours worth of crafting and lord knows how many credits to walk away with exactly nothing to show.

For the most part, I've enjoyed crafting in this game, but sometimes it's just a *****.

Been trying to RE a lvl47 red lethal crystal for 3 days now, with the worst luck ever... But other thing (lower lvl) in my other toons are working nice, so it's not broken but is a very strange-piece of !"#! system and we need a good explanation on how this RE works XDXD