Revisiting An in-depth look at: Revan

Aurbere

I don't he actually fell to the Dark Side, he just comes very close with his outburst of Dark powers and his switch in personality, when he 'dies', I think he controls his passion and finds clarity.

You think so? I always felt he was on the brink. The Emperor had pretty much ravaged his mind and he planned on genocide. He seemed pretty close. If his outburst of Dark energies didn't signify his fall, then I think he would have fallen soon anyway if he didn't lose. He did realize what he was doing was wrong, I think, and as you said, found clarity.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say he fell to the darkside (although I could be wrong). People don't turn just like that. I think it is more realistic to say that he temporarily relied on darkside techniques.

But if we're really gonna get into this then we ought to start a new thread concerning exactly what happened in the foundry battle. Regardless, it seems that the writers did a poor job here.

He probably didn't fall immediately, but he would have if he won. These powers corrupt, and he had already been tainted by the Emperor. Had he won the battle, his fall would be only a matter of time. But he didn't win and I think he realized what he had done and, if he's still alive, is reflecting on his life. If we see him again, he may be the old Jedi Revan we all know.

He probably didn't fall immediately, but he would have if he won. These powers corrupt, and he had already been tainted by the Emperor. Had he won the battle, his fall would be only a matter of time. But he didn't win and I think he realized what he had done and, if he's still alive, is reflecting on his life. If we see him again, he may be the old Jedi Revan we all know.

I sure hope you're right. That just wasn't a suiting death (although I think the best fate for him would've been getting killed by the Emperor at the end of the novel - so epic).

I sure hope you're right. That just wasn't a suiting death (although I think the best fate for him would've been getting killed by the Emperor at the end of the novel - so epic).

I fully agree. Revan's a great character, but he got the short end of the stick so to speak. He really should have died at the hands of the Emperor. It would have been a fitting end for such a character. Who else to kill him than the most powerful being in the galaxy?

At least it wasn't as bad as the death of Meetra Surik. The only guy to get a good death in the novel was T3. Though I wish it wasn't so.

If you haven't already, play through the Maelstrom Prison FP. It connects to the Foundry so well. Plus you get to talk to Revan. The nostalgia is strong in Taral V, Maelstrom Prison and the Foundry.

I fully agree. Revan's a great character, but he got the short end of the stick so to speak. He really should have died at the hands of the Emperor. It would have been a fitting end for such a character. Who else to kill him than the most powerful being in the galaxy?

At least it wasn't as bad as the death of Meetra Surik. The only guy to get a good death in the novel was T3. Though I wish it wasn't so.

If you haven't already, play through the Maelstrom Prison FP. It connects to the Foundry so well. Plus you get to talk to Revan. The nostalgia is strong in Taral V, Maelstrom Prison and the Foundry.

Is Aurbere so anti Revan now? He seems to have some respect for him saying that he should have had a better death (Well maybe his death, he probably is still alive.)

I have to disagree here. Meetra may have gotten an..undignified death but at least she died herself and she even went all Obi-wan and helped Revan and the republic after her death. Revan got mind screwed for hundreds of years and only got out of it not being dead or broken by the Emperor because of Meetra's help, just so he can be turned crazy, attempt to commit genocide, and then be killed by his captives. I think his death is way worse. =/

I agree about T3's death though..I really didn't see it coming. I mean..did the Emperor really need to vaporize him?

I have to disagree here. Meetra may have gotten an..undignified death but at least she died herself and she even went all Obi-wan and helped Revan and the republic after her death. Revan got mind screwed for hundreds of years and only got out of it not being dead or broken by the Emperor because of Meetra's help, just so he can be turned crazy, attempt to commit genocide, and then be killed by his captives. I think his death is way worse. =/

It's not about how she died, rather why she died mate.

Good thing you got to it first. I had to re-read that post a couple times.

As to Revan mastering any Lightsaber forms. Because there is absolutely no evidence to support such a claim, we can only assume that he did not. We know that we was skilled with a lightsaber, but we can't say that he mastered any of the forms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRsXdTuBaBg&feature=player_detailpage#t=4s

Brilliant, just brilliant. I think that ends this debate. Revan is an unknown.

I agree. And for as much information as possible, it should stay that way.

On a related note my head-canon for Revan has always been thus:

Revan mastered both sides of the Force as a result of ascending to mastery first as Darth Revan, then as amnesiac Revan. However, when he regained his memories (and mastery), it came at a terrible cost. Revan's duality has resulted in serious mental instability (which we see in SWTOR's flashpoints) which gives him dark side leanings, and a lack of personal control. He may be a master of the techniques, but he has a lot of difficulty applying it in any meaningful way.

As for his tactical abilties, he was never anywhere near Thrawn's level, but was very good at a few things that make him look way better than he really was. He was a good leader, who delegated relevant responsibilities to those who could best handle the. He was ruthless, sacrificing worlds to take whole sectors. And finally, he played the long game. He had a goal, and he pushed towards it. G0-T0 noted that Revan consistently fought the Republic while preserving its infrastructure. If he wins, he controls a mighty Republic backed up by the Star Forge. If he loses, the Republic is now united, wary of invasion, and still has a military industrial complex intact.

As for using both sides of the Force at the same time, I do agree with the fact that it shouldn't be possible (considering they both require opposite mental states), and that it is much more likely that he achieved oneness with the Force, expressing it in its purest form. The description was pretty similar to Jacen's experience. I think the problem most people have is with the "twin rivers" description, but that could have simply been a description applied by fallible witnesses who didn't understand what they were seeing. A unified Force expression could in fact feel that way to someone trained to think of it that way.

But that's the great thing about head-canon. H-canon is always going to be above G-canon from a personal perspective, and Revan just happens to be a lot more moldable than the average Star Wars character.

Edited by spencer_

Good thing you got to it first. I had to re-read that post a couple times.

As to Revan mastering any Lightsaber forms. Because there is absolutely no evidence to support such a claim, we can only assume that he did not. We know that we was skilled with a lightsaber, but we can't say that he mastered any of the forms.

See, here is my problem. Why can we only assume he didn't master a lightsaber form? We have no information on this either way. Given his skill as a duelist, it is perfectly legitimate to assume he did. Either assumption is completely valid.

See, here is my problem. Why can we only assume he didn't master a lightsaber form? We have no information on this either way. Given his skill as a duelist, it is perfectly legitimate to assume he did. Either assumption is completely valid.

Yup. That's what I've been saying.

I disagree, this thread made me reconsider Thrawn vs Revan as a Kaggath match, lol. :D

Well I'm glad that we made you reconsider Revan, but even I know that Thrawn is THE best tactical genius. However, I don't really know who else their is to take on Thrawn, so perhaps this will be interesting.

But yeah, Revan is also a great strategist, he's just not Thrawn.

Well I'm glad that we made you reconsider Revan, but even I know that Thrawn is THE best tactical genius. However, I don't really know who else their is to take on Thrawn, so perhaps this will be interesting.

But yeah, Revan is also a great strategist, he's just not Thrawn.

I want to include him, but I can't come up with a match - suggestions are welcome!

I want to include him, but I can't come up with a match - suggestions are welcome!

Don't get me wrong - Revan is a great strategist! All I was saying is that Thrawn just seems to find a way to beat ANYBODY. But I honestly think that Revan will make a great opponent for Thrawn.

Here's an idea: you could have Thrawn vs. Revan AND somebody else. Like maybe the exile? Or Saul Karath? Perhaps that would make the fight more fair. It's just an idea. However I still like the idea of comparing 1 person to 1 other person. 2 on 1 just isn't as epic.

• 1 month later...