If Bioware doesn't get New Zealand folks in before launch, they are breaking the law

PrimeRadiant

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Except how it isn't free, as we paid a 5 dollar pre-order charge. If you don't get in free, they took your money and didn't give you the service, which is against the law :]

Not saying that's how its going to play out, just saying its what can happen.

They didn't charge you for anything. the $5 goes towards the purchase. At anytime before you pick up the game, you can get that $5 back.

Edited by Jest

This is usually why I do not visit game forums, except for troubleshooting problems.

But the dang force compels me.

I never paid a pre-order fee. All I paid was for the shipping of the pre-order code to me. But the actual code was free.

Edited by Aberration

Have a friend who said that if they don't get you in they break their Consumer Guarantees Act and the law.

http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/consumer-guarantees-act

He was saying even WoW was afraid on pre-order launching do to this act.

Please show me what part of this law says they must get you in before the general launch of the game:

Goods

Retailers and other such suppliers guarantee their goods will:

Be of acceptable quality (see definition below).

Be fit for a particular purpose that you asked about.

Match the description given in advertisements or sales brochures, or by the sales assistant.

Match the sample or demonstration model.

Be owned by the consumer, once purchased.

Be a reasonable price, if no price or pricing formula has been previously agreed.

Manufacturers (the definition includes importers) in New Zealand guarantee that:

Spare parts and repair facilities will be available for a reasonable time.

They will honour any written warranty that comes with their products.

Goods are of acceptable quality.

Goods match their description.

Services

Service providers guarantee their services will be:

Performed with reasonable care and skill.

Fit for the particular purpose they were supplied for.

Completed within a reasonable time.

A reasonable price, if no price or pricing formula has been previously agreed.

Acceptable quality

This means goods:

Do what they are made to do.

Are acceptable in appearance and finish.

Are free from minor defects.

Are safe and durable.

The Act's terms "reasonable" and "acceptable" are deliberately open-ended. It depends on what a reasonable consumer would think was acceptable based on the nature of the goods, the price, and any statements that have been made about the goods. A concert violin is required to meet a higher standard than a child's cheap instrument. Ultimately a tribunal referee or a judge may have to decide what is reasonable or acceptable in the circumstances.

If a defect was pointed out to you before you bought the good, then it doesn't count towards making it unacceptable.

Please show me a single thing in that list that indicates they have to give you access before the game launch. I dare you :p. You won't be able to, because it doesn't exist.

No offense, but this thing from New Zealand is practically the same as it is in the United States, btw.

everyone who pre-ordered will be in by the 19th,

the internet is a free market, for instance where i live i can pirate anything crack anything and sell it on the internet or down the market or in the local supermarket. If the data is held on this countries servers no one can do anything about it, EVER.

However i am not a pirate

The country where i live does not adhere to any outside laws.

laws like the one you posted are normally only country wide, as they simply cannot enforce it world wide, due to clashes with laws of other countries

Please show me what part of this law says they must get you in before the general launch of the game:

Goods

Match the description given in advertisements or sales brochures, or by the sales assistant.

Be a reasonable price, if no price or pricing formula has been previously agreed.

Manufacturers (the definition includes importers) in New Zealand guarantee that:

Services

Acceptable quality

This means goods:

Are safe and durable.

The Act's terms "reasonable" and "acceptable" are deliberately open-ended. It depends on what a reasonable consumer would think was acceptable based on the nature of the goods, the price, and any statements that have been made about the goods. A concert violin is required to meet a higher standard than a child's cheap instrument. Ultimately a tribunal referee or a judge may have to decide what is reasonable or acceptable in the circumstances.

If a defect was pointed out to you before you bought the good, then it doesn't count towards making it unacceptable.

Please show me a single thing in that list that indicates they have to give you access before the game launch. I dare you :p. You won't be able to, because it doesn't exist.

No offense, but this thing from New Zealand is practically the same as it is in the United States, btw.

Hey, don't blame me, my friend told me this. IIIIIIIIIII didn't do it! LOL

Goods

Services

Acceptable quality

This means goods:

Are safe and durable.

Sounds remarkably similar to UK laws also, there's one other thing to bear in mind though. Distance Selling Regulations - most companies have some version of this law, it would come into play, and you may find that NZ law doesn't even apply to the contract you've entered into.

you learn so much good stuff on these forums, I always thought NZ was a fictional place

I know, right!

Just reading the forums makes me wonder if I made a right decision to purchase this game to begin with, because average player age seems to be around 15. But since I'm going to be on RP server anyway, hopefully I avoid this level of idiocy going on around here.

Early game access is a free program available to people who pre-ordered (ie, put a deposit on) the video game that is released on the 20th. I don't think that legally speaking anyone has actually purchased the game yet.

LOL you really think its free? Nothings free, not even early acess. Your 30 days of pre-paid game time starts the minut Early Access starts

I know, right!

Just reading the forums makes me wonder if I made a right decision to purchase this game to begin with, because average player age seems to be around 15. But since I'm going to be on RP server anyway, hopefully I avoid this level of idiocy going on around here.

Forums are like Bridges in Norway...there are trolls under each one