Classes so biased, no balance. =(

Lenjok

Started an inquisitor play through recently, was very fun.

The STARTING power pack was perfect for what I wanted. I few lightsaber attacks, a few force powers. I wanted to keep it that way, to fight with my light saber occasionally shooting out powers. Wanted to go balanced Lightsaber/Force power dps, Then BOOM, time to choose specialization:

Sorc - zero lightsaber combat, except for starting skills, and some stupid heals that are INBUILT, before actually choosing the heal tree.

Assasin - zero force use, except for starting skills, all the force powers focus on adding damage to the saber attacks and some stupid stealth that is also inbuilt before choosing the stealth tree.

So sad.

Well, the Sorcerer of course hardly uses their lightsaber, but that's because it's a 30m ranged class.

The assassin on the other hand is a melee class, but uses force powers quite a bit. No matter what build you go, you'll be switching between using lightsaber attacks and force powers like slow, lightning, shock, crushing darkness, and even adding a specific force charge to your lightsaber depending on the build. So no, it is not a pure lightsaber class. Even the warrior's advanced classes aren't pure lightsaber.

If you want a force power/lightsaber build, go with assassin and make a madness build. It's perfect for you, and works very well in any group.

Edited by CondemnedMarine

I guess I am just looking for some cool DPS powers to use, like the ones Warrior has - Scream, Push, Smash etc.

Adding in Lightning and Double bladed combat moves. A cross between the 2 would be the ideal. And would throw out all the healing and stealth and what not. Straight up combat.

Edit: Or here is a more elaborate explanation - I want enough DPS in my force powers to be able to kill JUST using force powers and enough DPS in my melee to be able to kill JUST with my lightsaber. Then I want to combine the 2 with variety and cooldowns for a more interesting combat.

But am not interested in fancy stealth / debuffs etc.

Edited by Lenjok

I guess I am just looking for some cool DPS powers to use, like the ones Warrior has - Scream, Push, Smash etc.

Adding in Lightning and Double bladed combat moves. A cross between the 2 would be the ideal. And would throw out all the healing and stealth and what not. Straight up combat.

Edit: Or here is a more elaborate explanation - I want enough DPS in my force powers to be able to kill JUST using force powers and enough DPS in my melee to be able to kill JUST with my lightsaber. Then I want to combine the 2 with variety and cooldowns for a more interesting combat.

But am not interested in fancy stealth / debuffs etc.

Definitely go madness spec Assassin then. You'll have enough DPS from lightsaber and force powers separately to kill most weak, standard, and some strong enemies, but you WILL have to use both for elite and higher level enemies.

Overall, there isn't a single class in the game with access to both that has enough power in either lightsaber or force powers to kill every enemy in the game without using the other alongside it. If that's what you're looking for, you are out of luck.

Definitely go madness spec Assassin then. You'll have enough DPS from lightsaber and force powers separately to kill most weak, standard, and some strong enemies, but you WILL have to use both for elite and higher level enemies.

Overall, there isn't a single class in the game with access to both that has enough power in either lightsaber or force powers to kill every enemy in the game without using the other alongside it. If that's what you're looking for, you are out of luck.

No that is actually exactly what I want basically, to combine the 2 in equal measure to take down my enemies. I wouldn't expect to take down elites using only one side. =)

Ok then I will try madness.

You want to be a Rage Juggernaut or Focus Guardian. Go be one. lol. Force crush, Force Scream, Smash, Force choke...Lightsaber attacks. This is what you want. Just gotta get a little bit closer to your target but you get heavy armor. This will make you happy. ;)

Hmm, I might try this too.

]Well' date=' the Sorcerer of course hardly uses their lightsaber, but that's because it's a 30m ranged class.[/b']

The assassin on the other hand is a melee class, but uses force powers quite a bit. No matter what build you go, you'll be switching between using lightsaber attacks and force powers like slow, lightning, shock, crushing darkness, and even adding a specific force charge to your lightsaber depending on the build. So no, it is not a pure lightsaber class. Even the warrior's advanced classes aren't pure lightsaber.

If you want a force power/lightsaber build, go with assassin and make a madness build. It's perfect for you, and works very well in any group.

No, sorcs don't use melee attacks because unlike its assassin cousin sorcs don't get any benefit to their melee damage from willpower. Instead of a sorc saber slash maybe hitting for 1 or 2k it hits for 300 damage. Its either a glitch or a senseless bias against sorcs on bioware's fault.

Personally I think Sorcs should at least have some use for the melee attacks. You certainly see Emperor Palatine use his lightsaber in his battles, there is no reason the sorc class should have its melee abilities be completely worthless.

Started an inquisitor play through recently, was very fun.

The STARTING power pack was perfect for what I wanted. I few lightsaber attacks, a few force powers. I wanted to keep it that way, to fight with my light saber occasionally shooting out powers. Wanted to go balanced Lightsaber/Force power dps, Then BOOM, time to choose specialization:

Sorc - zero lightsaber combat, except for starting skills, and some stupid heals that are INBUILT, before actually choosing the heal tree.

Assasin - zero force use, except for starting skills, all the force powers focus on adding damage to the saber attacks and some stupid stealth that is also inbuilt before choosing the stealth tree.

So sad.

Honestly I fully agree with this. Although I still play my sorc alot, it felt alot closer to what it should be before I got an advanced class. How sad is that

From your post, I think its safe to assume you expected single player kotor like build possibilities, am I wrong?

Issue with an MMORPG, is you have to take balance into account with other non-force using class. The "all around" jedi or sith that was Kotor jedi sentinel is simply not possible to balance.

Now assassin as said is closer to what you want. Obviously, straight after choosing your AC you don't see it, but only the deception tree is very melee oriented. Tanking is done mostly with force based attack (discharge, shock, wither and thrash mostly as a force dumb in the rare case you have some free and to proc energized shocks, and force lightning to self heal)

Madness, use a good mix. Melee to get proc to use powerful force attacks, and access to interesting abilities in the first tier of deception tree.

Sorc, as you pointed out, is a pure force user. That lightsaver in your hand might as well be a reading lamp for your starship, its only a fancy stat stick, and for the lol you can hit something with it (namely rushed a mob in an ops just to say I used it once =D ppl laughed)

So I believe, while its a fun class, its effectively not for you.

Edited by verfallen

I have stuck with the Sorceror class since the beginning and am considered to be one of the best 1v1 sorcs in game on my server. I thoroughly enjoy the class but that by no means think that it can't be improved. Some postive changes could really bring Sorc dps up enough to be a viable rated choice, which it is currently not.

Personally I don't see why you wouldn't want a little variety to sorc gameplay. There is no reason our thrash and saber strike should be useless. Lets take an example from the other two ranged classes.

Sniper- Has shiv, a melee attack mostly used by Dps operatives however the sniper still has this ability. It deals decent instant damage up close. Not overpowered, but still useful too when casting another attack isn't a good option.

Mercenary- Has the trademark rocket punch seen by so many powertechs. Rocket punch will root targets in arsenal spec and still hits decently hard.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These specs both have a close range ability worth using in certain situations. Can you imagine how nice it would be to have Trash maybe root a target for 1.5 seconds or perhaps Trash in lightning spec could give you a 30% chance to proc lightning storm. Even if it just did decent damage it would still be a nice option in pvp when dealing with melee opponents. Not only could this help the Sorcerer class, it would also make them canonically more correct.

And the trash/saber strike don't have to be dps effective enough to warrant use in a raiding situation.

Perhaps you shouldn't be so narrow minded

I have stuck with the Sorceror class since the beginning and am considered to be one of the best 1v1 sorcs in game on my server. I thoroughly enjoy the class but that by no means think that it can't be improved. Some postive changes could really bring Sorc dps up enough to be a viable rated choice, which it is currently not.

Personally I don't see why you wouldn't want a little variety to sorc gameplay. There is no reason our thrash and saber strike should be useless. Lets take an example from the other two ranged classes.

Sniper- Has shiv, a melee attack mostly used by Dps operatives however the sniper still has this ability. It deals decent instant damage up close. Not overpowered, but still useful too when casting another attack isn't a good option.

Mercenary- Has the trademark rocket punch seen by so many powertechs. Rocket punch will root targets in arsenal spec and still hits decently hard.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These specs both have a close range ability worth using in certain situations. Can you imagine how nice it would be to have Trash maybe root a target for 1.5 seconds or perhaps Trash in lightning spec could give you a 30% chance to proc lightning storm. Even if it just did decent damage it would still be a nice option in pvp when dealing with melee opponents. Not only could this help the Sorcerer class, it would also make them canonically more correct.

And the trash/saber strike don't have to be dps effective enough to warrant use in a raiding situation.

Perhaps you shouldn't be so narrow minded

I was actually stating the states of thing as they are now, point, not raising an opinion on what the class should be. Sorry if my word stung in another thread where I called you out on yours in one of your post, but trying to get them back at me here is just not accurate, and you seems to have snapped out of it youraelf after that 1st post, your answer after was much more considering of other factors.

However, if you have played kotor 1 and 2, you know you could make a "melee" heavy with force storm, choke and AoE heals.

Never said the sorc should have absolutely no melee, just that currently the lightsaber is very much useless. I'm all for thrash actually doing something sorc specific, or a melee-ranged force attack to be added that makes a similar effect (rocket punch and shive are after all considered tech, not melee and cannot be parried/shielded. They also have cooldowns)

Edited by verfallen

I wish they had made the base classes viable, and not force you to choose an advanced class. It wouldn't be difficult. A class can be viable without as many skill options, as long as the skills they do get are good enough to get by with.

In Ragnarok Online, you get more than one chance to advance your class to another class, but you can also stay where you are and be perfectly viable. So before any of you have some smarmy, ignorant retort to what I said, go check Ragnarok Online for an example of how it can be done, and don't tell me it is unreasonable.

I wish they had made the base classes viable, and not force you to choose an advanced class. It wouldn't be difficult. A class can be viable without as many skill options, as long as the skills they do get are good enough to get by with.

In Ragnarok Online, you get more than one chance to advance your class to another class, but you can also stay where you are and be perfectly viable. So before any of you have some smarmy, ignorant retort to what I said, go check Ragnarok Online for an example of how it can be done, and don't tell me it is unreasonable.

Well while I haven't checked out that game, I think this is an interesting concept. It would be even more amazing if not choosing an advanced class gave you different ability options than sorc/assassin.

On an irrelevant side note, I saw someone who was awesome the other day in a lvl 50 warzone. He was a sith inquisitor who never chose an advanced class. He did terrible, but it was still amazing to see.

Ok guys, I think I found it:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rIzs0MckZZsMcRrbz.2

Going to use lightning charge and a focus item that is not a shield, also not generating a lot of threat.

I think this will allow me to get out there all saber blazing, without the need for stealth, and at the same time I can blast my enemies with Death field, crushing darkness and electrocute, which will all be instant. Going for this build atm. Thx for the suggestions. :)

Edited by Lenjok

• 2 weeks later...

Going to use lightning charge and a focus item that is not a shield, also not generating a lot of threat.

I think this will allow me to get out there all saber blazing, without the need for stealth, and at the same time I can blast my enemies with Death field, crushing darkness and electrocute, which will all be instant. Going for this build atm. Thx for the suggestions. :)

I hate to burst you bubble but this build isnt optimal for dps. The option you want of being able to melee and use force powers is right there in the madness tree, not really a need to make a hybrid for what you want.

Just 1 of the many Madness builds http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200bc0MZcZfrcRrMkrcz.2

Assassins:

Darkness:

- Trash (melee)

- Wither (force)

- Force lighting (force)

- Shock (force)

- discharge (force)

Deception:

- VS (melee)

- maul (melee)

- low slash (melee)

- shock (force)

- discharge (force)

Madness:

- trash (melee)

- Maul (melee)

- crushing darkness (force)

- death field (force)

- discharge (force)

- creeping terror (force)

Id say assassins have enough melee and force to go with.

1st - electric execution is worthless just a bit more damage on charge proc

2nd -even if that build was viable, your choices in the darkness tree are not (I mean 3% endurance over blood of sith and Energize??)

3rd - for any hybrid i'd suggest the one they named "Mad maul" which is a deception/madness hybrid.