Imperial player curious about the Republic

Rugi

I've been playing on the Empire since launch and all of the classes besides the Agent have just felt 'meh'. The Empire is also pretty dark and dreary, but the Agent storyline has been great fun. Lately though I have been thinking about possibly re-rolling to the Republic. If I did I would most likely either roll Trooper or Smuggler and go dark side for the whole anti-hero feel.

The only things I am afraid of is server imbalance (everyone and their mother is an Imperial) and re-rolling only to find that the Republic is a bunch of carebear hugging hippies.

So I come to the forums seeking insight from Republic players. Any and all comments / advice / insight / guru-ness is welcome.

I play on both sides... on my server, Mindtrick, they pretty much seem the same except people spout off a lot more nonsense in general chat on the Imperial side (probably just because of there simply being more people on the Imp side to type in chat).

I play a Smuggler on the Rep side, but I played a trooper until level 14 in Beta (was trying to pick between the two plus try out "bounty hunter mechanics" without spoiling the BH story). Smuggler is very much more light-hearted and comical--the trooper is a bit more serious and shows you the "dark side" of the Republic at times.

Edited by Jilla

Interesting. Is Republic at least populated enough to be enjoyable, or is it going to be a ghost town up to 50?

I'm confident it's different for each server, but I find there to be enough Republic players running around. And there's only one way to fight imbalance, that's if guys like you come over to the Republic. Defect, leave the Imps :D

That's the trooper's story theme by the way: defecting

Interesting. Is Republic at least populated enough to be enjoyable, or is it going to be a ghost town up to 50?

Never had an issue getting a group, but then again, I am only in my 20s on the Rep side (my main is my BH).

If you want to switch sides because of the story, you should avoid the Trooper. The story isn't all bad, but it seems the author never heard of Star Wars before.

The Jedi Consular story on the other hand fits really good. Don't know about the other classes.

If you want to switch sides because of the story, you should avoid the Trooper. The story isn't all bad, but it seems the author never heard of Star Wars before.

The Jedi Consular story on the other hand fits really good. Don't know about the other classes.

don't listen to this guy, the trooper story is great! honestly, it really gets you personally involved right off the bat, and besides, if you are/were a mass effect fan...yeah. go trooper.

Smuggler is awesome too...it will be my last character though, since i had 2 lvl 50 smugglers in beta...need the story to become fresh again :p

I'm leveling a shadow right now and I've felt no real attachment to the consular story.

I have a 50 Agent and I loved every minute of the story line. It really gives you a new sense of hate and distrust. I really enjoyed what I picked for my final option. =)

From my experience, the republic side stories start off bad. REALLY bad. Dromund Kas and Coruscant were pure torture for me. Also, for the love of god dont do a lightside trooper, unless you like EVEYTHING you say to be "Yes sir!" "No sir!" and "It's my duty to defend the republic."

From my experience, the republic side stories start off bad. REALLY bad. Dromund Kas and Coruscant were pure torture for me. Also, for the love of god dont do a lightside trooper, unless you like EVEYTHING you say to be "Yes sir!" "No sir!" and "It's my duty to defend the republic."

So far that seems to be the same for any light side republic character - the jedi knight I started does the same thing over and over.

Yeah, there's a lot of that, but for me, that just makes the moments when you get to still be a good guy and still get mouthy with people all the more rewarding.

"You want me to go out and deliberately get infected by a rakghoul? All right, but if this serum of yours doesn't work, I want a statue. And not an ugly, rakghoul-looking statue, either, a nice one."

Conversations like that are priceless.

On my Level 16 Consular alt last night (Ajunta Pall), I noticed that Coruscant had ~200 people in it and I kept getting unsolicited group invites for instances. If anything, it was TOO crowded. YMMV depending on server.

As for story, I've played every class quest except Agent up through leaving the Newbie world. My favorites have been as (darkside) Smuggler & (lightside) Bounty Hunter, for the dark comedy. The consular story appears to be very somber and serious (save your master from being corrupted by the Dark Side). The Jedi Knight story appears to be a pretty basic Star Wars adventure out of a Dark Horse Comic book (Beat the Sith baddies threatening the Galaxy).

My main is a trooper, and as someone has mentioned in this thread, the trooper story feels the least "Star Wars" of the lot. It is more like a really elaborate sidequest from "Mass Effect", with Sith & Hutts instead of Reapers or Turians . Playing the female trooper, I swear they not only brought in the same voice actress (the awesome Jennifer Hale), but recycled a lot of the same recorded dialogue. But I like Mass Effect, so that's been fine by me. Besides, hearing Jennifer Hale laugh maniacally while hitting Sith in the face with the stock of a blaster rifle is epic.

I am really not enjoying the story for Consular. All I am doing is curing and shielding people from the "force plague" with no real end in sight. I am level 28 and headed to either Aleraan or Tat in search of...more plague people. I have heard of other stories and I am jealous. I realize that I am maybe only half-way through the entire thing, but I really want something good to occur...