Where is the companion AI fix??

DewyMossEmpire

'He who lives in a glass house should not throw stones' is a saying that means that someone who does something themselves probably shouldn't yell at other people for doing it.

In this scenario, I was referring to your obvious ignorance when coupled with the snide statement about other people being ignorant.

Since, you know, English is hard.

ETA: 'Moon monkey' is exactly what it sounds like: nonsense. There is no hidden meaning. When you insult/attack other people for doing something, it is an attempt to stop them from doing it. Thus, when you insult someone for offering their views, it absolutely implies that you do not want them to share their views. If you do not want them to get that impression, don't insult them for offering their opinion.

Edited by Aiyle

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'He who lives in a glass house should not throw stones' is a saying that means that someone who does something themselves probably shouldn't yell at other people for doing it.

In this scenario, I was referring to your obvious ignorance when coupled with the snide statement about other people being ignorant.

Since, you know, English is hard.

ETA: 'Moon monkey' is exactly what it sounds like: nonsense. There is no hidden meaning. When you insult/attack other people for doing something, it is an attempt to stop them from doing it. Thus, when you insult someone for offering their views, it absolutely implies that you do not want them to share their views. If you do not want them to get that impression, don't insult them for offering their opinion.

Sweepea,

I understand the expression about glass houses. I'm merely trying to educate you that I'm far, far better of a Hutt to live in a mere glass house. I'm worthy of the finest! <<tosses hapless Gamorrean guard into pit>>

I wasn't implying either that I don't want others to share their views. I absolutely relish the opportunity to inform others why they are wrong or are arrogantly refusing to understand a different perspective. Frankly, it fuels me and serves as a constant reminder about how my Hutt-like intelligence reigns supreme. :rak_01:

<<sips martini>> and it's Chopin vodka, I don't drink rail. :rak_03:

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Exactly right. The game is simply not playable as it is. If there are those who are playing at a sufficiently casual level that these heavily touted "workarounds" are effective, then that's wonderful for them. Party on! But at my level of play, very similar to what you're describing for yourself, the game is currently unplayable and the "workarounds" do nothing to improve things.

The fact that this total breakdown has not been resolved while the developers are gushing about lame improvements like a frickin' color wheel is an absolute insult to the quality this game once had.

Edited by KBerling

Like others have said, it's annoying... but it's being worked on.

They SAY it's being worked on. Believe them if you want. My trust level with Bioware is at zero.

How pathetic is it that they've broken the game so badly that it's become a MAJOR undertaking to fix it! And at this point they don't even know when or if a fix is possible? What a bunch of dolts. Learn to code!

Edited by KBerling

They SAY it's being worked on. Believe them if you want. My trust level with Bioware is at zero.

How pathetic is it that they've broken the game so badly that it's become a MAJOR undertaking to fix it! And at this point they don't even know when or if a fix is possible? What a bunch of dolts. Learn to code!

Well, I guess I'll take your word for it:rak_01:. Jokes aside, yes, I see no reason to not believe them that a fix is being worked on, this could be just an elaborated lie but I don't have a tinfoil hat to keep my brainwaves while I think about it.

And yes, it's a shame that JUS released so bugged... but I need I remind everyone of what a buggy mess SOR was when it was launched? Not saying something wrong done in the past justifies the present, it doesn't. But at this point any release that is done in December... I'll be fully expecting it to be rather bugged.

When I have to use a ranged comp for whatever reason right now,... and keybind the companion's 'attack' to something easy (I have it to ctrl-z), then send them in one key press before I leap/charge/whatever. ... It's definitely a problem, but it's also one that can be gotten around with very very little effort, soooo.

I thought about your post for a moment for a moment... the solution seemed somehow familier.

In that 'Other" game (WoW) what is my first key-press on my BM hunter or a WL using a Void Walker? Something that sends in my pet. In this game, back before all companions could fill any role, what was my first key-press for characters with only tanking or DPS companions (especially classes that didn't absorb damage well)? Send in the companion. For some characters, before their healing companions became available, it was just part of the rotation; send companion, attack...

Some of us have been spoiled and forgot when this game wasn't so ridiculously easy and we didn't all start with a heal-capable companion. Back when, on a difficult mob or boss, pulling aggro with a JC without letting Kyzen grab aggro first could make things difficult. Babysit companions? That used to be a part of the game... using your companion effectively... there is a reason your companion has an attack button, we used to have to use it sometimes.

So, the workaround is go back to that play style... a bit of an imposition, but not anywhere near the major obstacle some here are whining about.

Edited by Tyrloch

I thought about your post for a moment for a moment... the solution seemed somehow familier.

In that 'Other" game (WoW) what is my first key-press on my BM hunter or a WL using a Void Walker? Something that sends in my pet. In this game, back before all companions could fill any role, what was my first key-press for characters with only tanking or DPS companions (especially classes that didn't absorb damage well)? Send in the companion. For some characters, before their healing companions became available, it was just part of the rotation; send companion, attack...

So, the workaround is go back to that play style... a bit of an imposition, but not anywhere near the major obstacle some here are whining about.

The problem isn't the initiation of combat (though that can be annoying). :rolleyes:

Your comparisons of Beast Mastery Hunters and Demonology Warlocks in WoW are wholly non-comparable.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

on our side it is also a pretty large undertaking to resolve.

Translation for those who do not work for software companies:

Rather than just rollback the change that broke the AI we are going to turn it into some big project with other "cool features", it will take a long time and suck worse when released.

Edited by Foambreaker

I've encountered a (new?) bug with companions.

Melee comps set to Tank will not use standard attacks, they will only use CDs. Until one of their main abilities reaches the CD, they stand there passively & do nothing. I've tried this with four different melee comps & it's always the same. However, ranged comps set to Tank will use standard attacks between CDs.

This is ridiculous. The companion AI is completely broken in several ways & its affecting gameplay, especially when there's so much focus on Single Player gameplay right now. This should be the top priority, not preview windows.

Translation for those who do not work for software companies:

Rather than just rollback the change that broke the AI we are going to turn it into some big project with other "cool features", it will take a long time and suck worse when released.

That's more a SWTOR development staple than anything else.

A'yup. I use the same keybind for companion attack that I did for my pets in WoW. Probably why I haven't really had any difficulty making the adjustment to my playstyle while we wait for the bug to be fixed.

I hereby humbly humiliatingly bow to the greatness of those who know how to initiate combat as they conquer the mighty trials of the Dailies of Ossus.

Razorclaw and Scarjaw are indeed merciless, mighty beasts worthy of proving you can get in range to initiate combat yet vanquish such foul feral festering foes so you may bask in the eternal glory of victory over your less worthy pathetic, pointless, preening, prattling, so-called peers.

Your victories will no doubt be the source and inspiration of legends and songs for generations to come.

TL-DR: Comparisons of WoW Hunters and Warlocks are simply non-comparable.

Edit: My apologies for being inconsistent with the Oxford comma. Me bad and deserving of a spanking! :rak_03:

I'm certain some will point out that these characters suck eggs, but I have nothing to hide.

On my Beast Master Hunter, not my main, I got Lt. Commander and over 30,000 kills. And isn't my Albino T-Rex from Un Goro Crater adorable!!!!:rak_01:

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/us/earthen-ring/taronitha

On my Demonology Warlock -- again, not my main, but practiced to get better for PvP...over 14,000 kills

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/us/earthen-ring/lushius

Bottom line: These are two of my PvP alts. I know what I'm talking about when we are talking about initiating combat / timing stuns from pets and why the previous replies are completely off-point (with the notable exception of KBerling). Also, anyone who follows the WoW armory also knows these stats are under-represented but these at least provide a bare minimum.

For the last time (hopefully): IT IS NOT THE INITIATION OF COMBAT THAT IS THE PROBLEM.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Like others have said, it's annoying... but it's being worked on.

Being worked on? It wasnt broken for years, someone pissed about with it and now its been trashed for ranged comps for months, NPC AI is fine, melee companion AI is fine

Being worked on? It wasnt broken for years, someone pissed about with it and now its been trashed for ranged comps for months, NPC AI is fine, melee companion AI is fine

Yes, it wasn't broken but now it is broken. And a solution is being worked on.

1. Open source control
  2. Find changed code
  3. Find who changed it
  4. Revert bad code
  5. Use finger guillotine on author

Problem solved.

You're missing a whole bunch of steps both before and during that, including "Find what's broken" and "determine if it's even a primary effect of a single change or an unintended result of the combination of several changes." Not to mention "is rolling back the change possible" and "will rolling back the change do something worse."

This is (in a weird sort of way, I'll grant) mission-critical enterprise-grade software engineering. You can't "simply" do anything. I'd be shot at dawn in my own cube if I suggested anything so simpleminded as an action plan for even a much more severe issue.

Rollback is only an appropriate solution if the system is hard down. Otherwise, you fix the problem.

You're missing a whole bunch of steps both before and during that, including "Find what's broken" and "determine if it's even a primary effect of a single change or an unintended result of the combination of several changes." Not to mention "is rolling back the change possible" and "will rolling back the change do something worse."

This is (in a weird sort of way, I'll grant) mission-critical enterprise-grade software engineering. You can't "simply" do anything. I'd be shot at dawn in my own cube if I suggested anything so simpleminded as an action plan for even a much more severe issue.

Rollback is only an appropriate solution if the system is hard down. Otherwise, you fix the problem.

Ian,

For what it is worth, I believe you. You have consistently proven that you know what you are talking about. That also isn't sarcasm. I've got the *****y queen shtick down pat. I'm casting that aside now.

But...isn't there always a but? I was on the management side of things -- as in -- someone who doesn't know anything about tech.

To provide context, I think they were right to fix the Vette bug first since that truly was game breaking. (Ditto the Koth bug last year.)

But (yet another) ...It has now been 4 months. Eric, to his credit, acknowledged it won't be fixed in the next patch. While I appreciate the transparency, it doesn't undermine the fact that....

This bug isn't just highly annoying, but is debilitating for those trying to solo Vet FP or solo MM Chapters. And, yes, I understand we are a niche group.

But it is very clear this is not a priority for Bioware Austin.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Ian,

For what it is worth, I believe you. You have consistently proven that you know what you are talking about. That also isn't sarcasm. I've got the *****y queen shtick down pat. I'm casting that aside now.

But...isn't there always a but? I was on the management side of things -- as in -- someone who doesn't know anything about tech.

To provide context, I think they were right to fix the Vette bug first since that truly was game breaking. (Ditto the Koth bug last year.)

But (yet another) ...It has now been 4 months. Eric, to his credit, acknowledged it won't be fixed in the next patch. While I appreciate the transparency, it doesn't undermine the fact that....

This bug isn't just highly annoying, but is debilitating for those trying to solo Vet FP or solo MM Chapters. And, yes, I understand we are a niche group.

But it is very clear this is not a priority for Bioware Austin.

Dasty

One of the banes of my existence at work is "the existence of a problem does not guarantee the existence of a solution."

Nor is the impact of a bug related to the ease of fixing it. Whatever caused this was important enough to be put into a patch. Since they're not reverting it, whatever change is correlated (assuming it's only related to one change and not an interaction of two or more) is more important than this issue.

As a side note, because I actually have some hand-on (if ancient) knowledge about the DYN change announced (next patch?), that probably has been sucking up everyone's effort for a while now, because it's a huge win for the future. Enough of one that it probably pushed everything down the priority list. And it's a lot of work to do right. (And if it launches bug free, I will be shocked.)

Once everything stabilizes after that, let's see what happens.

(Anything that increases automation for object interaction design is a huge win for reducing dev and QA time. I would have been incredibly shocked if they worked on anything else that took time from that, that wasn't mission-critical).

• 2 weeks later...