Annihilation Min Max

HawtSheit

Hello all,

Im looking for some guidance to a question that has most likely been asked plenty of times before. Can someone help me with where i need to be on stats for most dps as annihilation spec? I have checked forums for a while and all i see is people throwing there char stats out there but nothing along the lines of dont go over 30% crit rating, 30% surge rating etc... Im trying to tune up my gear and make sure the stats are where they need to be but dont have any type of a guideline to work off of.

Any help is appreciated!

For all my characters, I use http://www.noxxic.com and there it tells that Annihilation stat priority is as follows:

Strength >= Accuracy (110%) > Crit (40%) = Surge (75%) > Power/Force Power

Hope that helps.

Checked out the link, and even tho it has a few correct guidelines, it also comes with a few "bad" ones. So be careful following these guides. your way better off asking on the forums for tips, from players that actully spend ALOT of time with different builds.

use them, but use them for what they are, guidelines, adapt builds to your playstyle, and also what gear model your gonna follow. crit vs power builds are basicly the same, and there is a small favor for power builds amongst maras cuz of the 100% crit chanse in all 3 builds.

if you check out the build noxxic suggests for anni maras in pvp you will soon experiece that "Phantom" is a bs talent, and is better spent in "Defensive Roll" and in "Ravager". I would suggest running this build in pvp:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#100bIrRrRMssZhMMZM.2

Also for min/maxing, check out these posts, alot of good info here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=525404

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=539243

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=528052

For all my characters, I use http://www.noxxic.com and there it tells that Annihilation stat priority is as follows:

Hope that helps.

No.

No no no no no.

If you want to min/max any Marauder spec, there is only one thing that you do: you maximize the budget of offensive stats on every piece of gear.

For example... mods. Let's just use Deft Mod 25 as an example, because you can relatively easily obtain 2 different variants via doing older, easier Operations. 25A has 61 Strength and 11 Power. 25B has 48 Strength and 37 Power. Point for point, Strength is ever so slightly better than Power, so you'd think the 25A is better, but the total budget of Strength + Power is significantly higher on the 25B, making it the better piece.

You basically want to avoid having more than 100% melee accuracy as it appears on your character sheet (everything but Assault gets a 10% bonus, so the "110%" number people bandy about is actually reached for all intents and purposes at 100%), and your Critical Rating (not %!) in the 100-300 range.

Let's be crystal clear on one thing: most of the guides for any class available online are wrong. They're rarely ever written by people who back up their recommendations with extensive parsed data, a good understanding of the game formulae, and all the little tricks that are built into the system (like the isSpecial flag on attacks providing bonus accuracy).

There are a few folks, like LagunaD, who do all of those things, but they tend not to write guides, just post things from time to time that help better illuminate various aspects of the classes in this game.

We have the parsed data to say with confidence that you don't need more than 100% base (110% special) Accuracy, and we have the mathcraft (thanks to LagunaD) to show that for the range of ~100-300 Critical Rating, there is a less than 1% difference in overall DPS (since only Crit and Power are interchangeable, losing one means picking up the other). Laguna's math was specific to Carnage, but the breakdown of damage per skill for Annihilation and Rage gives every reason to believe that the mathcraft is equally valid for those specs.

Other than those 2 constraints, you always get the best results by maximizing the total offensive budget you have available (or can reasonably attain) at any given point in time.

I never really liked Noxxic, I've always felt those guides are half-assed.

For my watchman sentinel, I've got 30% crit (buffed), 75% crit multiplier; 100% accuracy. Everything else is in strength or power (~2180 strength and~1060 power) This is fully buffed and stim'd. Primary damage > 1200 on high end :D

Gear: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/7024549c-3566-4f9c-82e8-c5a79dbae1d7

6 Minute Parse on Ops Dummy (No Bloodthirst or Adrenals): http://www.torparse.com/a/26971/time/1349246743/1349247103

Edited by OMGitsCHARLIE

Hope that helps.

Why do they put the Crit at 40%? I thought after 30% the returns are diminishing...most good players that I know say that between 30-35% is the optimum range.

Just wondering...

Why do they put the Crit at 40%? I thought after 30% the returns are diminishing...most good players that I know say that between 30-35% is the optimum range.

Just wondering...

Because they're derps.

40% Crit fully buffed requires a ludicrous amount of Crit Rating (450+), which costs way too much Power to achieve.

No.

No no no no no.

If you want to min/max any Marauder spec, there is only one thing that you do: you maximize the budget of offensive stats on every piece of gear.

For example... mods. Let's just use Deft Mod 25 as an example, because you can relatively easily obtain 2 different variants via doing older, easier Operations. 25A has 61 Strength and 11 Power. 25B has 48 Strength and 37 Power. Point for point, Strength is ever so slightly better than Power, so you'd think the 25A is better, but the total budget of Strength + Power is significantly higher on the 25B, making it the better piece.

You basically want to avoid having more than 100% melee accuracy as it appears on your character sheet (everything but Assault gets a 10% bonus, so the "110%" number people bandy about is actually reached for all intents and purposes at 100%), and your Critical Rating (not %!) in the 100-300 range.

Let's be crystal clear on one thing: most of the guides for any class available online are wrong. They're rarely ever written by people who back up their recommendations with extensive parsed data, a good understanding of the game formulae, and all the little tricks that are built into the system (like the isSpecial flag on attacks providing bonus accuracy).

There are a few folks, like LagunaD, who do all of those things, but they tend not to write guides, just post things from time to time that help better illuminate various aspects of the classes in this game.

We have the parsed data to say with confidence that you don't need more than 100% base (110% special) Accuracy, and we have the mathcraft (thanks to LagunaD) to show that for the range of ~100-300 Critical Rating, there is a less than 1% difference in overall DPS (since only Crit and Power are interchangeable, losing one means picking up the other). Laguna's math was specific to Carnage, but the breakdown of damage per skill for Annihilation and Rage gives every reason to believe that the mathcraft is equally valid for those specs.

Other than those 2 constraints, you always get the best results by maximizing the total offensive budget you have available (or can reasonably attain) at any given point in time.

Well put, Omophorus. Good advice.

No.

No no no no no.

Hi Omophorus

Thanks for the info very helpful, i was unsure of what this site was suggesting after looking into it further. Looks like i need to drop some crit and work on those mods, im currently basically all in on the strength augment any advice on if i should continue focusing all augments into strength or switch some out for power?

I'm considered to be the among the most effective Annihilation/Watchman spec players on my server.

This is what I run as far as my spec:

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/sith_warrior/marauder/#::e8fe3fefe3f2efef7ef15ef9

My gear is fully itemized with Str augments:

Crit is 400: Unbuffed crit ~30%

Surge is 260: ~75.14%

Accuracy is : 99.4%

Power is 799: 570 Total Bonus Damage

Strength is 1799 (Max would be 1815ish with Campaign armoring for my belt, currently 25-guardian armoring in that slot)

Expertise: 1208

2 26-grade armorings in bracers and belt. Power crystals in both slots on lightsabers. PVP Vindicator set bonus.

Buffed I'm sitting on 36.2% crit and 19122hp.

I run a very balanced setup and I am consistently #1 in dps in 85% of my WZs. This setup works for me and I have yet to see another Mara/Sent on the Ebon Hawk put up bigger or more consistent results as Annihilaiton/Watchman. Not bragging, just stating that this setup is extremely effective in shutting down healers and blowing through everything from tanksins to stealthers to rage to carnage, it is universally dominant in my experience.

Edited by AsiriusNazriel

For PvE, I run this gear setup - http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/17af74fc-464a-4d67-9a2c-4cea52ee1f0e

Unstimmed -

2033 Strength, 1054 Power, 123 Crit, 228 Accuracy, 342 Surge

31/03/7 Skill Tree- http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/skills/Marauder#9f28e8clc-i-200k

Parsed at 2009 DPS with bloodthirst, mid 1900's without.

http://www.torparse.com/a/25942/time/1349132738/1349133092

As for my choice regarding crit vs. power, all of my testing has shown that between 100- ~300 crit rating there is very little difference, and this seemed to yield the better sustained in my opinion. (In fights where I know I need the burst more, I will either switch to carnage, or put on gear with a bit more crit.)

For PvE, I run this gear setup - http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/17af74fc-464a-4d67-9a2c-4cea52ee1f0e

Unstimmed -

2033 Strength, 1054 Power, 123 Crit, 228 Accuracy, 342 Surge

31/03/7 Skill Tree- http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/skills/Marauder#9f28e8clc-i-200k

Parsed at 2009 DPS with bloodthirst, mid 1900's without.

http://www.torparse.com/a/25942/time/1349132738/1349133092

As for my choice regarding crit vs. power, all of my testing has shown that between 100- ~300 crit rating there is very little difference, and this seemed to yield the better sustained in my opinion. (In fights where I know I need the burst more, I will either switch to carnage, or put on gear with a bit more crit.)

This is some good stuff, and it's got me working on my own end to see what I can step up a notch.

There is one disingenuous thing in the parse though, that people should be aware of if they're trying to compare to their own numbers... using /stuck to end the fight faster does pad DPS. Whilst the exit combat delay is longer on an Ops dummy than actually exiting combat by killing your target, there *is* still some delay, so it makes your Ops dummy numbers look ever so slightly better than they really are.

For an idea of the impact of /stuck... I took the same combat log from a ~4 minute romp on the Ops dummy, modified the "exit combat" time in the log itself to the same time that my last skill landed (which cut about 6 seconds from the overall length of the fight), and it added around 40 DPS to the overall parse result (was ~1727 when just walking away, bumped to ~1768 by changing combat end time).

Other than that, though, good ****.

The small sample of results you posted does lend more confidence to the idea that steady-state DPS (discounting Bloodthirst/relics/adrenals) for a fully ilvl 61 Marauder is in the 1750-1800 range. At least based on the numbers in the parse, and not the numbers in your post. :p

It also makes me want to spend more time testing (both on Ops dummy and in real Ops) with varying Accuracy rating. There's going to be enough margin for error that I doubt anything solid will come of it, but some of the early, small-sample-size testing lent credence to the idea that Op boss defense chance was much closer to 8% than 10%. There was a statistical fit, assuming that bosses have an actual defense rating and not just a hard-coded percentage (which would make sense actually), that would put evade rate at right around 8.5%.

Numbers from recent Operations and Ops dummy testing with 285 Accuracy rating + Legacy companion buff (for 99.89% Accuracy) don't look significantly different than yours, which very much makes me want to play with a number closer to 98.5% and see what happens.

Even still, good ****, and has my min/max juices flowing again (hampered recently by inability of guildies to get their derp out... I want Campaign hilts).

Edited by Omophorus

Been messing around with carnage (redid all gear to fit it), seems to be a bit better. Able to hit 1950's with no adrenals or bloodthirsts. + Its fun as hell and awesome in the new operation!

as for the /stuck, I didn't /stuck. I edited the view time in torparse to fit the amount of time I was actually in combat, if you click on that same fight again in the window it will show 1991 dps, which is the pre edit dps (The fight ends as my last tick of rupture falls off).

(Essentially, the same as if I had /stuck myself ofc).

I believe that maras can easily sit at 1900+ dps, and that 1750-1800 aren't optimal. More than likely, server lag/ability lag, and the such play into lower numbers, and sometimes skill.

Edit*

Ah, I was thinking of a different parse. yeah, did /stuck in this one, that by following your math would have put close to 1950ish dps. Still more than respectable imo.

Edited by IAmViiOLENT