Purple Color Crystals!

Merciin

Columi weapons have purple color crystals in them. Rakata have Black-Red color crystals (for Empire at least). These will be bound to your character so you cannot trade or sell them.

Still haven't confirmed any source for the Magenta Adegan Crystal in order to craft the Magenta color crystals, however.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Magenta (In guy terms purple) crystal recipe dropped from Belsavis World Boss two nights ago for us. Unfortunately, we didn't have a 400 Artificer with us to give it to. We killed him the following evening and he didn't drop a recipe at all.

For all the non-believers without a screenshot or whatever go look at the Pax Dominus kill video on YouTube. It has the loot in it.

Bah, I don't like the idea at all of purple crystals being super high level rare stuff. They should be available somewhere in the teens at the latest. It was also a bad idea to tie stats to color crystals at all, color crystals should be nothing but optics, and what stats they offer should be redistributed to the other types of mods.

I agree with the people who have said that Color should be totally up to us, the players, and should have no stat attachment what-so-ever and if you want to try and bring lore into this, try and remember that this is a game and also I have seen a number of people stating that in everything outside of the movies Purple and other colors show up rather frequently and are not especially rare.

I think it's good that some things are rare, even super-rare. It makes you look forward to achieving/reaching certain points in the game. I was psyched when I looted a blaster pistol from a boss, and it had an orange crystal in it, with stats better than the one I had in my saber. Now I can have a blue, green, yellow, or orange saber. Hopefully, sometime in the future I'll get my hands on a purple one. But I'm in no hurry, in another year or two there will probably be some rare item that is even more sought-after. Purple sabers are all the rage now, but after a while they'll be old news.

I think it's good that some things are rare, even super-rare.

/fistbump

Absolutely - it'll be hard enough in this game to differentiate your character from others, and one way to do so is through the luck of the draw. Super-rare items and patterns, randomly provided, are a good way of doing so. There's no "roadmap", there's no "grind", there's just being at the right place at the right time for that lucky roll of the dice.

Bump because I want a purple saber. I agree that color should be choice based on preference. Not because you grinded PVP.

unfortunately this is untrue as to the easily accessable colors. At higher levels yellow and orange (which can be learned from the trainers) have substantially better stats than blue/red/green. I believe it was the final grade scheme you can buy +22 for the standard 3 colors compared to +27 for a yellow. Pretty lame if you ask me to just obliterate the more common colors and pretty much force everyone to use yellow or orange. (assuming purple is rediculously rare)

AND on a side note... each crafting skill is supposed to have some kind of advantage over those without... like my cybertech friend can craft a speeder that binds on pickup, so he cant resell... maybe purple color crystal is that? I dont know what Artifice has I have to go look now.... Im at 371 and havent noticed anything special for me... maybe I just missed it.

Edited by Midnight_Malice

Absolutely - it'll be hard enough in this game to differentiate your character from others, and one way to do so is through the luck of the draw. Super-rare items and patterns, randomly provided, are a good way of doing so. There's no "roadmap", there's no "grind", there's just being at the right place at the right time for that lucky roll of the dice.

Obviously you picked the wrong thing to differentiate characters than.

Color of lightsaber was always a choice of a jedi (unless he was crafting it in some extreme conditions), some representation of his soul and character. It wasn't just a stone that was somewhat less or more difficult to find. In times of the Old Republic jedi had access to huge spectrum of colors without any real limitations, it changed later on when orange, yellow and purple crystals become rare, but still access to colors was quite broad. Now, looking from game perspective: Many Star Wars fans (aside from MMO kiddies being here the largest group) have the characters they play through various games and perhaps even play in some roleplaying from time to time - if the character happens to be a force welder than it has it's own saber color, and most likely it isn't yellow/orange like the most popular+best color crystals are now in TOR. So for the sake of these players: Saber colors should be made more freely available, and certainly not so very much limited to faction (like currently: only Empire can buy purple crystals from PvP Columi gear vendors, no way to get them for Republican players, even despite of so well-known Jedi as Mace Windu). Sure, the best versions of color crystals should be very rare, I have nothing against it, but low-tier color crystals should be available in some reasonable quantity (meaning: drop chance 1/20 from world boss doesn't qualify).

Oh, and if you want to differentiate your character - get some unique armor. There's plenty of them which are hard to get.

IMO: People without knowledge about lore shouldn't post in any discussions on matters like that.

Edited by Sky_walkerPL

Oh, and if you want to differentiate your character - get some unique armor. There's plenty of them which are hard to get.

IMO: People without knowledge about lore shouldn't post in any discussions on matters like that.

There are not actually. The high end PvP armor all looks the same.

That sucks!

I was really hoping for a purple crystal. I don't like PvP and have no intentions to start doing it for something like that.

Still, that's still really lame that we can't get one. I mean, in the KOTOR games color choices were pretty freely available.

I get waiting a bit for it, but I'm level 25, and I think I've earned the right to have an awesome looking purple lightsaber.

AND on a side note... each crafting skill is supposed to have some kind of advantage over those without... like my cybertech friend can craft a speeder that binds on pickup, so he cant resell... maybe purple color crystal is that? I dont know what Artifice has I have to go look now.... Im at 371 and havent noticed anything special for me... maybe I just missed it.

From what I've read, there is no real bonus or advantage to picking Artifice. I have it as well and none of it is as good as what I've picked up from quests and loot which is disheartening.

I agree with the people who have said that Color should be totally up to us, the players, and should have no stat attachment what-so-ever and if you want to try and bring lore into this, try and remember that this is a game and also I have seen a number of people stating that in everything outside of the movies Purple and other colors show up rather frequently and are not especially rare.

Purple lightsaber was only for mace windu... Lucas didn't have in mind more lightsaber colors other than blue, green and red... It came later on when Samuel L. Jackson wanted something purple on his character so they gave him the lightsaber which turned out to be a really good idea. The purple lightsaber came after the movies in books (even tho it's mostly in books where mace windu is mentioned) along with orange/yellow and other variations (which are rare).. ;)

Tho, it's probably some high end loot... Kinda like reward for doing some dung or pvp or something.

http://db.darthhater.com/items/829/advanced_purple_critical_crystal/

Edited by Gway

Purple lightsaber was only for mace windu... Lucas didn't have in mind more lightsaber colors other than blue, green and red... It came later on when Samuel L. Jackson wanted something purple on his character so they gave him the lightsaber which turned out to be a really good idea. The purple lightsaber came after the movies in books (even tho it's mostly in books where mace windu is mentioned) along with orange/yellow and other variations (which are rare).. ;)

Tho, it's probably some high end loot... Kinda like reward for doing some dung or pvp or something.

After a quick Search on Wookieepedia I could find nothing there to corroborate this statement, in fact on their page about lightsaber crystals they have listed pretty much every color under the sun(or two suns if you're on Tatooine ;P) listed with references to the various books, comic books, games, and any other form of media they appeared in within the Universe. And in fact upon reading the article it states that most crystals were created by the Jedi or Sith for their lightsabers, I'm assuming that because of this the crystals were at least in some way a choice of the creator. I know with in the KotoR lore crystals developed in caves and were given to padawan's or apprentices by their masters and that in some of the movies this is the case as well. But still, I think there is enough lore evidence to support the ability of each person to choose their own lightsaber color crystal as more of a cosmetic thing, though however they could put in "special" crystals that appear in the world or drop from bosses or mobs that have special attributes, I mean this is all speculation and wishing since we don't really have a choice in the matter, but still, food for thought :D

I don't believe you are correct.

The first instance of a purple lightsaber in the comics/books, I believe, was Mara Jade's saber.

Samuel L "****** *******" Jackson while in converasation with George Lucas over casting him as Mace Windu discussed the colour of Mace's lightsabre. I believe that in an interview after Ep 2 was released, Samuel L said that he had asked for a purple sabre as it made it easier for him (and us) to pick him out in the fight on Geonosis as it was the only purple sabre. Plus as Mace was recognised as "the" best lightsaber fighter of his time he felt he should have something which set him apart from the blue/green brigade.

On a different note, my guardian has a green crystal since most people running on coruscant have either the pre-order crystal or blue one's. A purple one would be nice but an orange one (not a washed out yellow) would be pretty decent since everyone wants a purple one :-)

I don't believe you are correct.

The first instance of a purple lightsaber in the comics/books, I believe, was Mara Jade's saber.

And after that there is An'ya Kuro, still before Mace Windu. Pretty rare, indeed.

There are not actually. The high end PvP armor all looks the same.
This is really only an issue for PvP-focused characters, and I believe it constitutes an intentional design decision.

In PvP play recognition of character class can be fairly important. By limiting end-game PvP armors to specific styles a level playing field is ensured, at least in regard to class silhouettes.

After a quick Search on Wookieepedia I could find nothing there to corroborate this statement, in fact on their page about lightsaber crystals they have listed pretty much every color under the sun(or two suns if you're on Tatooine ;P) listed with references to the various books, comic books, games, and any other form of media they appeared in within the Universe. And in fact upon reading the article it states that most crystals were created by the Jedi or Sith for their lightsabers, I'm assuming that because of this the crystals were at least in some way a choice of the creator. I know with in the KotoR lore crystals developed in caves and were given to padawan's or apprentices by their masters and that in some of the movies this is the case as well. But still, I think there is enough lore evidence to support the ability of each person to choose their own lightsaber color crystal as more of a cosmetic thing, though however they could put in "special" crystals that appear in the world or drop from bosses or mobs that have special attributes, I mean this is all speculation and wishing since we don't really have a choice in the matter, but still, food for thought :D

I didn't say it shouldn't be personal choice... I'd preffer it that way in SWTOR. I just wanted to say how purple lightsabers came to be in SW universe in 1st place :D

And after that there is An'ya Kuro, still before Mace Windu. Pretty rare, indeed.

As far as I know George Lucas was the creator of Star Wars (read movies 1st) then it started to be books, comics, cartoons and what not... (if you don't count the 1st book lucas published 1 year before making the movies since it's about luke's adventures)...

But to say something about the purple saber in lore:

Mace Windu was mentioned to be born 72 BBY (he became legendary in battle of geonosis)

An'ya Kuro is mentioned around 51 BBY (we don't know when she was born but this is the time when she first discovered sensitive child which she wanted to train - so we can't say if she was the first one from all the comics)

As for Mara Jade... It's impossible for her to have 1st purple light saber (she trained Anikin Solo and Jaina Solo and we all know mace windu died in the 3rd movie (19 BBY) when Mara Jade was still mentioned as a teenager or in her 20's...)

Here's your proof of Samuel L. Jackson requesting the purple lightsaber:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mace_Windu

When Lucas offered Samuel L. Jackson the role of Mace Windu, Jackson signed on, but with certain stipulations on the portrayal of his character. Aware that the climax of the prequel trilogy would eventually call for Mace Windu's death, one of the conditions was that his character die in a spectacular fashion, rather than being killed off ingloriously "like some punk".[3]

Also, according to an interview on The Late Show with David Letterman on May 13, 2005, Windu's purple lightsaber was a personal request from Jackson to Lucas as a quid pro quo for appearing in the films, as well as a way of making the character unique and easily distinguishable. Jackson, a huge Star Wars fan, especially wanted his own color so that his character could be easily spotted and recognizable in the final battle scene of Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones amid all of the other Jedi.

Edited by Gway

Except all colors reach the same stats eventually.

Well, After looking around I found out that the Columi weapons from the vendors all have actual REMOVABLE purple crystals. They're level 50 unfortunately yes, but hey, they're there. They're the actual crystals rather than just having the weapon use that color.

These weapons are the only ones i've found that have a color crystal that is purple that can actually be removed from the weapon. Dunno if you could learn the schematic by reverse engineering it enough times, but there they are.

Note: They are in the IMPERIAL columi vendors. While I don't remember right off the top of my head i believe republic columi vendors have green crystals or cyan ones. If this is the case, then I don't believe Republic players can get a purple crystal as of right now.

Edited by DrakeBerenal