Need rolling for companion loot: Fair?

A shiny blue item drops off a boss in a flashpoint that your character obviously can't use, but would be a hefty upgrade for your companion.

Do you:

1. Need roll

2. Greed roll and 'hope' that you win and nobody else needs it

3. Waste 5 minutes explaining to the other group members why you want this item and decide how to roll/trade for it/etc.

4. Whine like a little girl until whoever won the roll gives it to you to shut you up.

Edited by DrGerm

A shiny blue item drops off a boss in a flashpoint that your character obviously can't use, but would be a hefty upgrade for your companion.

Do you:

1. Need roll

2. Greed roll and 'hope' that you win and nobody else needs it

3. Waste 5 minutes explaining to the other group members why you want this item and decide how to roll/trade for it/etc.

4. Whine like a little girl until whoever won the roll gives it to you to shut you up.

Number 2. Needing gives your companion the same chance to win as an actual player which is not fair. (In my opinion)

Definitely 2.

I'd never need over someone who can actually wear it. A strong companion is very helpful, but still not as good as another player can be. And any companion that wears the same armor type as I do gets all my hand me downs.

Myself?

5. Pass on it, buy customizable gear for my companion, and rip upgrades out of my own outdated gear for it.

I think that even "greed" should be used for player gear, but I certainly wouldn't be upset if someone else greeded it. That's kind of what greed's for.

2 with a but if no one in the group can use the loot i dont think asking if its ok to need for pet is out of order.

Me and a friend have been questing together using the consular pet to tank on the rare occasion we have added someone to our group we explain the pet will get a need on heavy armour if he needs it as he is the tank. not grouped with a heavy armour wearer so its all been fine and would give the actual player prio if we did.

1 or 2

I also will be starting my own groups so everyone is clear that each player decides for themselves what they Need and there will be no needy whiners who think they are more entitled to loot than someone else because they prefer raiding over content that uses companions. I'll personally Greed if it's orange and purple and a character needs, but I might Need on blues, because blues are just blues...

In guild groups, I greed for companions, or simply ask in teamspeak if anyone minds that I roll need for a companion. In a pug, I feel that all loot is fair game. All 4 players participated and thus contributed to the success of the group so I feel everyone should have a chance to roll for loot that they will use (even if they use it on a companion).

In guild groups, I greed for companions, or simply ask in teamspeak if anyone minds that I roll need for a companion. In a pug, I feel that all loot is fair game. All 4 players participated and thus contributed to the success of the group so I feel everyone should have a chance to roll for loot that they will use (even if they use it on a companion).

^ This is how it should be, there is no reason a pug deserves an item more.

I'll be forming my own and making that clear though, and not re-invite those that need on everything. There is a gray area between never need for companions and always need on everything that drops after all.

2, just in general.

To me companions are for questing, so getting the nicest gear for them is a bit unnecessary. You equip them with whatever gear you have lying around, and it gets the job done. If everyone decided that it's fair to roll need for your companion, then it essentially becomes 4 players in a party, but the rolling is as if there was 8 people in the party. That pretty much screws people out on loot.

A companion should just never come before an actual player. It sort of reminds me of the debate of people rolling need for an alt. It's not quite the same, but it's similar.

Really people trying to justify rolling need for them? Sorry, but the only time I would accept this is say me and a partner went in to a heroic, and had our companions out. Thus they actually contributed to the group (and I still wouldn't roll over him).

Your companions does nothing at all if it's already a full group. As such you should only be rolling need on gear YOU use not your companion. And looks like I have to make it clear with the groups I start from now on. Players>NPC derp derp. Come on people have some common freaking courtesy. Luckily I haven't ran into this issue at all.

Maybe to fix this issue before it actually comes one, they should add in another option need for companion it would simply good player>companion>greed.

1. If in a group with no defined rules like pickup groups, Companions are you I don't see a difference in building your companion up vs yourself it's the same thing as far as i'm concerned. It's not like your giving it to an alt your building a part of yourself.

Group leaders need to let people know what the rules are, you can't use telepathy lots of kids and people new to mmo's out there to begin with. Stop acting like somehow there is a list of unwritten rules that everyone knows.

Edited by Smoeki

For some reason a mod moved the discussion about how there is no /roll function in the game over to this thread... what his suggestion/complaint was, is that there is no way to randomly generate a number in the game to simulate a dice roll.

No its not

there seriously needs to be a fix to this by Bioware. Ninjaing is so easy.

Just copy the wow system.

which works like this

Light armor drops - Jedi/sith consular can roll need for it

Medium armor with cunning - Smuggler/agent can roll need for it

Medium armor with str - Marauder/Sentinell can roll need for it

Heavy armor with aim - Trooper can roll need for it

Heavy armor with str - Juggernaut/Knight can roll need for it

everyone else can roll greed, any disenchanting works with greed

Please bioware make this change, you talk about making an mmo for people to interract, help make things easier for smooth flashpoint runs not having to worry about people to stealing an upgrade for your character just for the heck of it.

Need roll when the group doesn't get an upgrade out of it. Besides, if you don't establish looting rules (If its not an upgrade, you can need it for the companion when in my groups) then its fair game. Edited by Unaki