My first ever rage quit

Had one tank before who tried to face him against a wall in stage 1 rather than kite him despite everyone nearly raging at him in chat to keep him moving. Even after clearly explaining to said tank on how to kite him and go anti clockwise around the room to each kolto tank he still tried to tank him against a wall and not bother moving him, not only bad because of the debuff but it means dps can't get to kolto tanks in time.

Heh, my sage would find his "don't stand there" button, i.e, rescue, pretty quick.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, I applaud your patience! Had a similar experience in a EV SM pug run on one of my alts last night so reading this post was refreshing and entertaining! Hats off to you!

Oh, to clarify, I'm not normally as patient; qued for LI HM on my trooper. Under geared tank states as we zone in: "I've never been here before." I logged off almost instantly. :o

Doing Ops with PUGs is futile unless everyone uses voicechat; Ventrillo, Teamspeak, Dolby, Mumble or something like that. This game should have built-in-voice comm. Even that pos DDO has built-in voice.

Totally agree. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I haven't met a competent PvE'er who doesn't use voice chat, and I do at least 2 or 3 PUG raids a week. To the OP, the fact no one was either willing or able to get on some kind of voice chat should have been a deal breaker from the very beginning.

If you want to raid with PUGs, then please download the Ventrilo, Mumble, and Teamspeak voice clients. They're free. It's almost certain that someone in the PUG will be part of a guild that has a server with one of those.

Edited by soowonlee
typo

Its very hard to judge, I recall looking down my nose at some guy with 13k health and crappy gear who rocked the OP we were in, people surprise you, some of the worst players I have ever come across have been the best geared.

Yep. This is what happens when someone gets pulled through by guildies and never actually learns to play.

Wow, that's incredible. I don't think I can top that one, lol.

@OP: I don't use GF for ops and rarely for FP's now. I don't need to suffer the stupidity for 5 BH comms. I've had a similar experience with a HM KP, though. I was trying to tell the tank how to tank Bonethrasher since he had no clue and then preceded to ignore me and wipe the group, repeatedly. I left, saying I was going to go do something else when he had the attitude to whisper me blaming me for being a "bad dps and wiping us then leaving". I guess it was my fault for joining their group, though. I soon learnt the whole server knew he was a noob.

Was the tank's name Boil from Dalborra by any chance? He is a nice-ish guy but he can't tank a womp rat to save his life...

ive had MANY of those "tanks" before ............

Had one while I was leveling that didn't even have anything in the off-hand slot.

Just to be nice, and to save myself some work (as I was the Healer), I had one that I had just finished for my tank companion, who used the same stats as him, so I traded it to him and he still didn't equip it.

Edited by SuperGrunt

I completely respect the OP's patience in regards to PUGS. I have not had such patience in my experiences. Two encounters specifically stick out in my mind:

The first was in a pug group on EC hm with Toth and Zorn where I was dpsing as a sage. The tank in the group deemed it necessary to scream at me for using weakened mind (as it pulled threat off of him) and stated that he did not "have any ranged abilities that would hit within 10 meters to draw threat" he then preceded to ridicule me for "not knowing anything about the tanking class"...(I should have gotten on my tank alt....but i digress) he then told me that the tanks in my raid must be infinitely better than him and his raid group. (BTW...yes they are.)

The second event that stands out is when we picked up 2 dps for a semi guild run on EC hm and one of the dps preceded to tell us the strat we were going to use, and when we told him that we were going to do it the way we wanted to do it, he preceded to wipe the raid until we did it the way he wanted to do it. He then went on to call us trash when we did not 6 man the bosses on our alts.

For the first time ever playing swtor I rage quit on a group last night as a healer.

Queued for a SM OP, got KP. One of the tanks asks the other to main tank it, since he's never run it before. The now "main" tank says "sure, I've done it twice". 2 DPS say they've never gotten past the 3rd boss, and have basically no gear. No worries, we got that out of the way, and I know this isn't going to be a speed run, and I'm going to be doing a lot of typing instructions. Plus me and the other healer are seriously overgeared, so we should be fine.

- First boss...no real problems, since he can't be tanked anyway.

- Jarg & Sorno...some of the DPS are not paying attention to our pleas to kill the carbonizer probes, or switch bosses to keep them even. End up dropping one or two group members, but we still one-shot it. I initiate a vote-kick for the most oblivious DPS, but because others were not paying attention, it expires and I can't get rid of him at that point. Fine, he get's a warning, and he promises to pay attention after that. To his credit, he did.

- Foreman Crusher - "main" tank positively melts at first frenzy, even with both healers chain healing him. Can't combat rez because he releases, and then complains he can't get back in until we all die. Off-tank doesn't use any defensive cooldowns on the next frenzy and dies. We wipe to try again.

At this point, I finally inspect the main "tank's" gear, and find he has a focus in his offhand. I whisper him whether he has a shield or not...he says "I think so." But his offhand doesn't get changed, so I know he has no idea what the difference between a shield and a focus is. He dies, again, on the first frenzy. But we combat rez, and focus healing on the off tank, who at least has a shield. Main tank dies again on the third frenzy, and immediately asks for another rez. "Sure, as soon as it is off CD.." We get the boss down with chain healing the off tank. Me and the other healer agree there is no way this group can single tank fabricator on story mode.

- I type "don't pull this group until I say...I am marking CC targets". Group is pulled a few seconds later, and we wipe. But at least the creeper is dead.

- DPS DCs and we have to get a replacement. While waiting on a replacement, the tank decides to go start hitting Fabricator...normally harmless fun, but somehow he ends up getting us stuck in combat, so when we do get a replacement he can't join us because we are in a boss fight. We all have to /stuck, and I have to reset phases. Yippee, we get yet another chance at the trash! CCs actually get off this time, one of the party members reminds everyone "no AOEs", but the CCs are still instantly broken, and we wipe.

Find out our replacement DPS is actually a decent tank, so we reconfigure rolls and press on.

- Working the puzzle with a DPS that has never done it before, but learns quickly with minimal pre-pull practice, and we get Fabricator down in one try. Between the new tank and this DPS, maybe there is hope for this group yet.

- I say "don't run into the next room". Our former main tank runs into the room, we wipe. Try again. I mark CC targets, they get stealth CC'd, I say "burn target", someone else reminds them "no AOEs", and we pull. CCs are instantly broken, and people are dying.

And that was it...I exploded in a fit of rage and quit. My lesson learned is that I need to leave fail groups much sooner before I blow up at them with an expletive-riddled goodbye and end up on 7 more ignore lists.

Hey man, I feel your pain, I normally play as a healer in MMO's. I found I am pretty good at it. But I established a few rules a while ago and I try to stick to it when I am in a PUG, unless there are good reasons not to.

1. If I die 3 times for any reason I drop group.

2. If the group wipes 2 times without any progress made I drop group.

3. If the group wipes 3 times in the instance I drop group.

4. If everyone else in the group is in the same guild and one of them is messing up, and I think it's on purpose. I drop group.

5. And finally if someone annoys me enough that I initiate a Vote kick and it fails I add that person to my ignore list and drop group.

You need to set a bunch of rules for yourself that will trigger you to drop group, and follow them when ever you are in a PUG. Obviously I don't apply these same rules for guild and friend groups, but anytime I don't know many people in the group, and or I queue to get a group you better believe I do.

Had one while I was leveling that didn't even have anything in the off-hand slot.

Just to be nice, and to save myself some work (as I was the Healer), I had one that I had just finished for my tank companion, who used the same stats as him, so I traded it to him and he still didn't equip it.

HAHAAHAAHA Been there. Was doing a HMFP FE, I think, Tank had 13K HP, so inspected. He had level mainly level 49 gear and no implants. I had just made a pair for my wookiee and gave them to him for free. He tanked me and said he could really use some for his healer, so I gave him the pair I made for Risha. His HP never went up during the entire flash point. However dps was overgeared so it wasn't that big a deal and we finished with only him dying a couple times getting fluged off the side of a couple platforms. Saw him the next day on the fleet, his HP was about 15K HP, but considering the gear he had got and the implants I gave him that seemed low, so i inspected. He was wearing the implants alright, not sure how much good the cunning was doing him, but he did have the impants on and didn't just sell them on GTN. :p

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys I just had to come back to this thread and share my most recent experience.

So as you know we now get a full set of tionese gear upon reaching 50. So yesterday qued on my guardian DPS and got Esseles. Now I thought yay it will prob be relatively quick but I was sadly mistaken. You see the tank was actually a Guardian but you see for a while he was speced DPS and only recently decided to tank so he came in tionese gear but wasn't even in tanking form. I had to train this guy the basic things about tanking he even didn't know what guard is and was wondering why I kept stealing agro off him. That's not all, see we had a sage come I as heals but the thing was she wasn't healing...I asked her why she didn't drop her Aoe and she says oh because I'm speced in damage and heals. At this point I was about to rage quit, but the commando that was with us manged to sustain enough dps with me that we downed all the bosses but not after being in that instance for over 90mins. Anyway that's my little story.

Well, that could be because you couldn't see his off-hand. I've noticed a few times that when I inspect people (say, a tank) they don't have an off-hand equipped. But then when I ask them about it, they reply that they do have something, and link it in the chat.

Even had Marauders seemingly with only one weapon equipped, judging by their character screen, but who obviously had an off-hand saber (as I saw they swinging two lightsabers). Swinging two lightsabers while only having one equipped is a feat.

So that could've just been a bug.

I have also seen my fair share of bad tanks/dps/healers. Been a bad tank once, myself, but only for the first few trash mobs before I learned how to tank better.

I did KP sm today through LFG tool to get the bh comms on my tank this morning and almost rage quitted, we had a guardian dps in soresu(tanking stance) with tanking gear and a fresh shadow tank never done the op before. The fight against the first boss went ok thanks to the other guys( nice healing and dps)

But things went downhill when we came accros Jarg and Sorno. My team was on Jarg and the shadow's on Sorno. I had the guardian who kept taking aggro (I hadn't checked his stance at that time) and the other tank kept pulling Jarg as well thanks to aoe taunt. Basically I had an uphill fight to keep aggro kept losing it but managed to avoid a disaster. Thanks to our excellent healers we pulled through:)

Then we came across foreman crusher, all agreed that I would main tank it. During that fight the shadow tank kept aoe taunting close to foreman crusher ,normally this wouldn't be a problem however the dps guardian put shield on me :eek: basically it was hell to keep aggro. Somehow we managed to pull through thanks again to our healers :)

At that point I decided to check the guardian his gear and stance(mind you I came off a night shift, so was a bit tired) and told him to change stance. I had to ask him twice before he finally did.

Ofcourse he and the shadowtank were the first guys to either run into the rooms and pull or break cc's when we eventually did that. Wiped a few times thanks to that :mad: Don't think we didn't warned them, me and a few other guys explicit told them to be carefull.

Then came the fight against the fabricator, the guardian had reverted back to his tanking stance without me knowing it, someone started the fight while I was trying to explain the fight against the other tank. So another uphill struggle for me to keep aggro and keep fabricator in place. Once more we managed to get through the fight without wiping but it was so messy :eek: another kuddos to the healers here:)

Of course after this fight the dps stormed into the next room without waiting....wipe ofcourse

After this the shadowtank left, we managed to find a replacement but he kept us waiting, so after 10 min we told him to join or leave. He left so we finally downed Karagga with 7( not really a problem) instead of 8. But I came close to quitting thanks to a few players not knowing their class and role. What bothers me the most is that I even told them what to do but being ignored by them. Then again it wouldn't have been fair to the others to leave who were doing amazing to get us through the op.

So yes I can sympathise with the OP, but untill now never rage quited.

I had to rage quit a storymode Foundry last night...

Conversation went like this:

tank: hi never been put as a tank before might need extra heals

me: do you have tank gear?

tank: i don't know

me: do you have taunts?

tank: no im not tank spec

me: you can uncheck yourself as a tank before queueing if you aren't a tank. i don't think we can do this without a tank

tank: i'm the tank

me: but you said you're not a tank

tank: let's go

*tank proceeds to not hold agro on the first trash fight and I immediately die*

tank: NEED HEALS

After I was rezzed I stuck with it all the way up til HK. On the way there the tank was lecturing me about the foundry's mechanics and telling me "not to draw agro" and "don't get one shot by HK or we're all screwed." I told him healers draw agro by default so he needs to get them off of me, which was met by "I'm not tank spec." I also told him the only way I could get oneshot on HK is if he bugs, so to make sure to kill all the adds when they spawn and stop attacking HK, since lots of people seem to agree that not killing the adds tends to sometimes cause HK to bug outside of the core (not to mention having 4 adds to deal with when he's released instead of 2).

I'm sure everyone can guess what happened. DPS and tank are all on HK all the time. They would kill one DPS while still hitting HK and ignore the other one completely. I stunned it, and it was still up when the next one spawned. I stunned it too, and the first one came off stun. So, I was being shot nonstop and having to repeatedly chainheal myself while repeatedly going "adds?? Kill the adds???" in group.

Even so, I was keeping the group up despite being DPSed the whole way through... and then, guess what! They suddenly get 4 adds spawned and HK gets stuck outside the core and oneshots a DPS. I die shortly after from the FOUR ADDS shooting me. Tank proceeds to freak out in group about how he told me not to draw agro and die since I'm the healer. Oh, and he's one of those people that repeatedly begs for heals during a fight. "HEAL ME" "DYING HELP" "HEAL PLEASE"

I just left... I was too tired and didn't want a ban over what I was thinking at the time.

haha, wow. I have to say, I 'accidentally' tanked the foundry recently, too. Totally forgot to uncheck the tank role in the group finder and didn't check my role when I clicked ready and was surprised to find another two DPS than me. Though no one in my group seemed to mind and we cleared the fp without any problem whatsoever. And I only put my defence stance after HK.

today I tanked the foundry again, because some friends of mine, 2 DPS, wanted to do it with me and even though I explained them to attack the adds first, jump out of the spit, to destroy the corners and everything (..since they both only did black talon.. with me.. previously), they uh, did neither and we wiped at HK. Luckily we beat him at the second try and again I am very grateful that we had such a great heal. It's unbelievable how important they are and that they can even support a dps specced tank.

Oh and yesterday I was doing hammer station with my sorc.. the tank had 1500 HP LESS than me and we wiped like 6 times at the boss. Though I'm impressed that nobody rage quitted and we tried again and again and again (and we switched the tank to the marauder dps) and we finally did it.

I haven't tried queuing up for SM ops yet. I'm a Tank though and I main tank for my guild in ops. I have to say I've been in that situation in WoW many times as a healer, DPS and Tank (on three different characters). That seems to be a common trait though about queuing. I'm not sure many people take the time to look for a few strats online. Google is your friend and that's how we found the strats for the op fights.

Kudos to you for sticking it out that long and trying to help people out. I get the feeling that those people weren't willing to read the chat window. honestly, I put party and ops cchats in a separate tab so I can see the directions and not all the spam.

The simple rule for GF KP SM PuGing is to ask at the start how many of them know how to do a Puzzle at fabricator. If less than 3-4 people say «I know» - i quit.

And what i like most being a Shadow, that i dont die during the Creeper droids. After the boss fights I always stay behind and watch how people run into the room. lol.. I have had NO PuG group yet that not wiped at creepers at least once.. lol.. This happens even if i continuously spam «DONT GO INTO THE NEXT ROOM» like 10 times or more... someone always go.. lol..

I simply go out of combat if things went «funny»..

Just run in a circle to the left. As the tank, you'll never eat bombs that way.

err.. And how you will save the DPS and Healer from eating charges that way? You actually making Lorik to throw charges in all directions all over the room?

Most safest way to avoid charges for you AND your PUG group is to hide behind the Kolto Tank.

btw, Shadow (both Tank or DPS) can cleanse himself if he occasionally stepped in green aoe stuff..

Edited by Missandei

The simple rule for GF KP SM PuGing is to ask at the start how many of them know how to do a Puzzle at fabricator. If less than 3-4 people say «I know» - i quit.

err.. And how you will save the DPS and Healer from eating charges that way? You actually making Lorik to throw charges in all directions all over the room?

Most safest way to avoid charges for you AND your PUG group is to hide behind the Kolto Tank.

You are indeed right about the best method to avoid charges from Lorrick but if tank runs in a circle DPS and healer are not exactly immobile statues they can adjust, too

You are indeed right about the best method to avoid charges from Lorrick but if tank runs in a circle DPS and healer are not exactly immobile statues they can adjust, too

We are talking about PuGs in first place.. :)

And even in a solid group, some healers can feel themselves more comfortable at the steady places to make their channellings.. so with some ranged classes aswell.. :)

It is more safe to just hide behind Kolto Tank and to not expose the group for Lorick's charges.. :) Let the Kolto Tank eat all the charges.

Edited by Missandei

We are talking about PuGs in first place.. :)

And even in a solid group, some healers can feel themselves more comfortable at the steady places to make their channellings.. so with some ranged classes aswell.. :)

It is more safe to just hide behind Kolto Tank and to not expose the group for Lorick's charges.. :) Let the Kolto Tank eat all the charges.

It is safer, yes, but it is entirely possible to run to the left, without making Lorik throw the satchel charges all over the room. I usually run to his left as he starts throwing. That way he usually misses me, and won't hit anyone else. Then before he throws the second batch, I run back to his right, so he never turns against the others.

Works like a charm, and usually I only get hit by one or two, unless I forget about it in a tired haze or because of lag.

Though hiding behind the Kolto Tank is indeed a safer bet.

I only time joined a group find on my PT tank to do EV SM and *** queued me as DPS instead. I got in the habit of looking at the role check boxes before starting because of this. Turns out 5 of the 8 group members were tanks which was a bit surprising considering how few tanks queue up. I thought about leaving right then but decided to give it a chance. I used my field respec to change to DPS and put on the few pieces of DPS gear I had on me. To my surprise we started blazing through the operation without much hassle.

The most memorable fights there were the pylon fight and council fights. With the pylons, we had one of the tanks d/c while heading there. The one actual DPS and a healer came with me to start clearing up trash while everyone else stood around. One of the tanks at north decided to start us early since he saw some of us at south. 3 tanks and a healer at north, 2 DPS and a healer at south... that was something. I ended up tanking in my DPS spec but we did it, was certainly different. The d/c'ed tank comes back and we continue on.

At the council chamber I thought to myself "This is where we hit a wall" because I didn't think some of the tanks could down the DPS bosses before enraging... but I was wrong, we one shot it. It wasn't much longer before we downed Soa and were done. It was a group with people queued for wrong roles, many were undergeared, and a couple people had never even run it before. It was quite unconventional and had the most potential for rage quitting but I'm glad I stayed because it was one of the most fun and interesting runs I ever had!

My last rage quit happened today. Did HM fe myself as a tank in almost full collumi and healer with 12k hp in almost all green. got wiped at first bounty hunter boss 2 times i realized it will take a while so i continued for next boss (2 robots) got wiped 3times in a row... healer always ended up healing me when i had hp pool of 10-15% never healed me above 2k... i just wrote "i dont have time for this" and i quit.