Character Analysis: Durge

Wolfninjajedi

Alright another analysis thread, this time looking at the character Durge.

======

Bio

"I was once buried alive—for 60 years! If that didn't kill me… if the Sith and the Mandalorians and the Bloodboilers of Kragis couldn't kill me—then you will not kill me!"

―Durge

Durge was a Gen'Dai bounty hunter in the galaxy for almost 2,000 years fighting in several wars and collecting a multitude of bounties. He had a deep distaste for Mandalorians and even at one point killed their leader, as the Clone Wars came he was recruited by the CIS so that he could kill the clones of the Mandalorian Jango Fett. He himself was already in excellent physical condition at a young age, and met a Mandalorian training master known as Jaing who taught him all he needed to know in Mandalorian tactics and combat skills.

Later on Durge and Jaing were outfitted in armor suits with advanced cybernetics and later on a group of Mandalorians attacked the lab killing Jaing in the process after which Durge hunted down Mandalore, Durge fought for the sith in the New Sith Wars, fighting several jedi in combat and learning their techniques becoming experienced at killing them. His most fateful mission soon came as he was hired to kill the Mandalore in 132 BBY and while successful he was captured and tortured though he eventually did break out though the torture took Durge nearly a century to heal with 60 years being spent underground buried.

When he resurfaced following the outbreak of the Clone Wars, Durge was disappointed that the majority of the galaxy's Mandalorians had perished, feeling that he had been cheated out of his revenge. Durge was more than happy to accept the invitation of the Sith Count Dooku into the ranks of the Confederacy of Independent Systems, which was at war with the Galactic Republic.

Near the end, Durge led Obi-Wan and Anakin into a trap where they were almost killed due to a cleverly placed thermal detonator. Soon though Durge confronted the two jedi, though Anakin used The Force to impale Durge with several jagged metal pieces though he just shrugged it off and while Obi-Wan went to go look for Ventress(who wasn't there), Anakin was faced to fight Durge alone and at first Durge overpowered him though was stopped when Anakin hurled several explosives at him causing his helmet to be torn off and sending him into a mindless rage.

This was exploited by Anakin who forced the bounty hunter into an escape pod and then launched him into a sun ending Durge once and for all.

========

Skills/Abilities

In combat Durge was a match for a Jedi, his natural Gen'Dai abilities coupled with his armor enhancements allowed him to hold his own against just about anyone. He also has an incredible healing factor, and even when his hands were gone he was still a deadly opponent. He was no slouch in the speed department, as he could easily keep pace with skilled Jedi, dodging and blitzing even Obi Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker, Durge was also very strong.

=======

Equipment

Durge had a number of cybernetic implants on his body that allowed him to use his heavy combat armor more efficiently. His own neuro-network worked in tandem with his armor's computer system, and his helmet's targeting system was directly connected to his optic nerves. The armor itself was specifically crafted to increase balance and agility, and was painted with a large symbol that resembled his mentor, Jaing.

He wielded an arsenal of powerful weapons; along with a pair of blaster pistols and a rifle, he was equipped with a jetpack and energized bolas. His armor sported machine gun gauntlets which fired flechettes, a wrist-mounted flamethrower, a spiked flail, dart launchers and energy shields capable of blocking lightsaber attacks for a short time. When unrestricted by his armor, he could extend his body parts long enough to strike down far-away opponents, and could even sharpen parts of his body to create a claw-like weapon instantly.

=======

Pictures

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090923052943/starwars/images/0/03/Durge_comic.jpg

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/136/republic52thenewfaceofwar0217ji8.jpg

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/4/48765/2181593-durge_2.jpg

=========

Thoughts: You know...at first I didn't like Durge, because he just didn't seem to be that interesting of a character. But then thinking on it, then looking over his profile and then his species...he was actually pretty fleshed out and there was actual proof of his abilities and how he is able to take on jedi and the like. He wasn't just some character, that was written out of boredom and having just a paragraph worth of information, he was a nice well thought out character and so he is in my top 10 list of non-force users.

Good job. Durge is awesome and is one of my favorite characters in star wars.

Thanks, and really I guess its cause I first saw Durge in that over the top action Star Wars mini series is the reason why I didn't like him at first, cause he just seemed like a character that was there just to be there. But then in the comics and such reading, it was more alright.