Q&A with Bioware on armor dyes

Iwipe

Hey everyone, to answer some of the questions and concerns you guys had with the introduction of dye modules in patch 2.1, I recently had a Q&A with Bioware on the topic of dye modules. I didn't manage to get all the questions answered but hopefully the answer will be useful to some of you.

http://dulfy.net/2013/05/01/swtor-patch-2-1-dyes-modules-qa-with-bioware/

TL: DR - 48 different dye modules on release, KOTOR related lore outfits not dyable (there is a list of all the armor not dyeable in the link), and some more explanation on how primary and secondary dye modules work.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ty.

I really want them to re-think what they're doing with those restrictions. Jolee's set has different color scheme than in KotOR and doesn't look as good. ;l

Might make some monies with artifice after exams.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

Made my (otherwise bad) Wednesday a little better to get news before I was expecting it (friday).

Any chance we could (either from you or from Bioware) a list of websites that will have information? I feel I could be missing out on a decent amount of information.

Thank you! I remember you saying we would see this on Friday so it's good to see it early. I have an Artifice character sitting at around 350. Going to have to finish leveling it so I'm ready, although I have a feeling most of the primary-secondary mods will be on the CM.

Also glad to see that people were freaking out over nothing when they said we wouldn't be able to dye adaptive gear because you can use it at level 1.

And I still think the lore restriction is weird. If they had called those sets something else (but made them look exactly the same), would they still have this limitation? My guess is they just want to release those datamined "alternate" sets.

Edited by Tommot

Made my (otherwise bad) Wednesday a little better to get news before I was expecting it (friday).

Any chance we could (either from you or from Bioware) a list of websites that will have information? I feel I could be missing out on a decent amount of information.

Torwars, Otinnicast, SWTOR RP, oldrep.de, gamingface are the ones I know.

Why for the love of god did they not just give each piece two slots, one for primary and one for secondary or give us the ability to make our own combos?!

That just seems like a thoroughly foolish decision. Why pass up on a chance to give the customer more options and control?

Why for the love of god did they not just give each piece two slots, one for primary and one for secondary or give us the ability to make our own combos?!

That just seems like a thoroughly foolish decision. Why pass up on a chance to give the customer more options and control?

THIS!!! Hopefully we get some orannge shell down the line where we'll be able tu combine 2 colors. Maybe in 1-2 update with new colors.

this was my question as well. one of my issues with current gear is that I often dislike stock color combination, so I was hoping dying gear would solve that by allowing me to create my own combo's. apparently, I was wrong :/

I can tell you why, it would require creating a new layer to their shading network. Since likely each tint was likely done by hand by the artists, allowing us to colourize both primary and secondary section would require them having 2 textures per item with an alpha mask to be able to show parts of one and parts of another.You already have a diffuse layer, specular layer and normal map, this would have to change to diffuse 1, alpha, diffuse 2, spec and normal map. It's a LOT more work, their engine would have to have large modifications to make this happen.

Edited by DaRoamer

Question someone asked me:

Have you seen anything about the dye modules being re-usable? In other words, are they going to be like the armoring, mod, enhancement and augments where you can pay credits to pull them and keep them?

I can tell you why, it would require creating a new layer to their shading network. Since likely each tint was likely done by hand by the artists, allowing us to colourize both primary and secondary section would require them having 2 textures per item with an alpha mask to be able to show parts of one and parts of another.You already have a diffuse layer, specular layer and normal map, this would have to change to diffuse 1, alpha, diffuse 2, spec and normal map. It's a LOT more work, their engine would have to have large modifications to make this happen.

If that's the case, then they made some very foolish mistakes when designing and coding the character customization modules. How, when they know they're making a gear based MMO, they didn't start with full customization control in mind from the get-go boggles my mind.

Question someone asked me:

Have you seen anything about the dye modules being re-usable? In other words, are they going to be like the armoring, mod, enhancement and augments where you can pay credits to pull them and keep them?

They get destroyed when you pull them out of a piece of gear.

So, let me see if I'm understanding this:

I can craft a red dye module and it's either Secondary or Primary.

I can craft a red dye module that's Secondary AND Primary.

But I can't craft a red dye module and a green dye module, one Secondary, latter Primary, and put them BOTH on the set of armour?

And the Secondary+Primary dye modules are set colours? You cannot choose the colour combination? If so, that's balls.

I have to completely agree with you here. I was a little surprised and disappointed that we get limited on choices this way. Hopefully they change this in the future and allow for two slots. At least it is indeed a step in the right direction for those of us who want our armor to look a certain way.