Disappointed about so-called "New In Game Barber-Shop"

Im not saying it's right or that this is how it should be done. but I do understand that this is how it is done and this is not only in the video game industry. this is what entertainment business is. You next lines sums it up perfectly.

Only way to make money? No definitely not. Fastest easiest way to make money? Oh yea! And when you are dealing with the juggernaut EA sometimes that is the saving grace of a game. They make fast easy money games constantly, and people that have followed their actions for years know they are not above running a good game into the ground because it isn't generating enough revenue.

I'm happy they are at least being upfront with us and letting us know exactly what is going on. All cosmetics will be in the CM. Everything else will be in game. Awesome! We are paying for the game with our vanity. And for things that don't matter to the game.

The CM is all about growth, not profit. The stock market cares about growth, profit is secondary.

The CM likely resulted in a substantial surge in revenue, which translates to growth on the balance sheet. Whether or not TOR was or wasn't profitable before the CM or even after the CM doesn't matter a whole lot in the short term, the balance sheet will show the revenue is growing.

The growth will die off as the novelty wears off and the game ages. Then we'll be left with a game that hasn't changed substantially from the game that originally tanked.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do understand your viewpoint.

Let me also say that my biggest fear is the money-grubbers doing something such as vetoing the VA budget for continued class quests because it "doesn't have a good enough return" and instead add easy money Cartel Packs.

Time will tell.

I cant disagree with anything you said here. As someone who understands the industry intimately I can say though, the developers, mods, and implementers are not the ones making those choices but are the ones we talk to here. in general we could stand to be a little nicer to them I say.

the poster is so correct about Madden football... EA will not get anymore of my money once I am done with TOR, lucky for them, its Star Wars and BW was involved (KOTOR 1 and 2 creators many of us love), but do not think for one second EA, that if you do another SW game, that I would even think about buying it. The day EA ever goes out of business, I hope I am alive to see it, so I can celebrate!

That will be a hard one if you plan to play many games. EA was the second largest (monetarily) game producing company up until Activision had their fluke with WoW. Even considering the perfect storm of money that Activision got because of WoW they are still only barely holding onto that position over EA. Not to mention EA has been for years, and looks to be the highest rated publisher from metacritic for more years. When it comes down to it if you buy a game most likely one of the major publishers (Nintendo, Activision/Blizzard, Microsoft, Electronic Arts, Capcom, Sony, Sega, or Konami) had a hand in it even if all they did was fork over money. And of those EA is at the top or extremely near the top of the pile.

But you are right, there was a time where games were kids things and there industry was full of firms who's goal was to make the best game. But somewhere video games because the #1 profitable form of entertainment. And you know what happens when people see dollar signs. and while we the players know what kind of crock EA gets away with its hard to do anything about it because they buy out our beloved series like TOR and make the sequel.

Edited by Emencie

I wanted to pop in and address some of your concerns about our barbershop and its use of Cartel Coins and not credits. There are a couple of design implications that go into these decisions I wanted to highlight in the hopes that it makes our decision in this regard a bit clearer.

• We very consciously design these systems around the fact that subscribers get monthly Cartel Coin grants. Pricing, etc. has these monthly grants in mind to ensure that our subscribers have access to these systems.
  • We want to set the expectation that cosmetic systems like these are where you are going to see us use the Cartel Market. It is our continued philosophy that we will not implement a form of pay to win so cosmetic systems and other non-game impacting features are our best opportunities to make additions to the Cartel Market.

As we continue to release more information about our barbershop please continue to give us your feedback.

-eric

Subscribers get what, 550 coins/month? the armour sets cost about 1200 coins, that's 3 months just to get an armour set?

I appreciate you need to make money and as much as I hate micro-transactions, I agree they are a good way for people to pay extra for little things that make them more happy.

Though, the likes of Runescape, they have an option to fully customize your character for free. gender, skin tone, hair style, hair colour, clothes style, clothes colour etc.

It really should be a basic Feature in the game. People enjoy change. I myself get bore of looking at the same thing all the time, which Is why I spend a fortune on different armour skins to change it up all the time.

Though it's beginning to feel like you really are just trying to bleed everyone dry of their money irl.

Sure these were my choices but; pay for the game, pay for subscription (2 accounts because you wont transfer my chars) cartel coins to buy items I like, pay for phone support when something inevitably screws me over, pay for expansion (which isn't much of an expansion for PvP players. Though I'm looking forward to it) and then I'm expected to pay for a character appearance change and maybe something as simple as eye colour change.

Bleh..

Edited by WaldoA

Well how expensive can character customization be? I don't expect anything beyond 100 cartel coins to be honest. And you're getting like 550 monthly. :l

I would love it to be available for in-game credits as well, though. Especially if it will come with new haircuts.

im expecting the cathar race costs 720+ cc its a hunch