Frontline Medicine: Combat Medic PVP Strategies and Tips

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does your utility selection look like?

I'm torn on whether to pick between Advance the Line & Med Zone in Masterfull and between Reflexive Shields, Shock Absorbers and Kolto Wave in Heroic.

I personally take

- Paralytic Combat Stims, Heavy Trooper, and Charged Barrier in Tier I;

- Med Zone and Combat Shield in Tier II;

- Shock Absorbers and Reflexive Shield in Tier III.

I do this because I really enjoy having a tanky healer that can take a lot of damage while still healing like a turret. That's my preference.

I feel Med Zone and Combat Shield in Tier II are pretty much mandatory for me -- they've been part of my build since the start and when taken together (with Reflexive Shield in Tier III) you are very hard to kill while shielded. And since Reactive Shields effective cooldown falls to about 50 seconds with Reflexive Shield (assuming you're taking damage constantly), I find it to be a very potent combination.

Of the utilities you mention, the only one I wouldn't recommend, and can't see really working well, is Kolto Wave. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea behind it. More healing tools are always good, but in this case the healing is it does is really weak in my opinion (especially for its position in Tier III). I don't think its worth it in its current state, and there are other things on Tier III that are more interesting. For instance, I can see some potential for building a more mobile (but perhaps less potent) Combat Medic that takes Advance the Line for more mobility and then something like Overclock or Forced March that also give you more mobility depending on what abilities you're using. Comes down to what you want to do.

Edited by SpaniardInfinity

I personally take

- Paralytic Combat Stims, Heavy Trooper, and Charged Barrier in Tier I;

- Med Zone and Combat Shield in Tier II;

- Shock Absorbers and Reflexive Shield in Tier III.

I do this because I really enjoy having a tanky healer that can take a lot of damage while still healing like a turret. That's my preference.

I feel Med Zone and Combat Shield in Tier II are pretty much mandatory for me -- they've been part of my build since the start and when taken together (with Reflexive Shield in Tier III) you are very hard to kill while shielded. And since Reactive Shields effective cooldown falls to about 50 seconds with Reflexive Shield (assuming you're taking damage constantly), I find it to be a very potent combination.

Of the utilities you mention, the only one I wouldn't recommend, and can't see really working well, is Kolto Wave. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea behind it. More healing tools are always good, but in this case the healing is it does is really weak in my opinion (especially for its position in Tier III). I don't think its worth it in its current state, and there are other things on Tier III that are more interesting. For instance, I can see some potential for building a more mobile (but perhaps less potent) Combat Medic that takes Advance the Line for more mobility and then something like Overclock or Forced March that also give you more mobility depending on what abilities you're using. Comes down to what you want to do.

Yeah, I was wondering about Kolto Wave because the PvE guides recommend against it also.

I was looking for more mobility with Advance the Line & Forced March, but I may try your tanky healer approach first since it seems to have good survivability. This would be the best class to do that anyway since they have Heavy Armor right?

Thanks for the help, great guide and looking forward to a Merc version too!

• 4 weeks later...

I was not having fun as a BodyGuard Merc in regular warzone level 60.

I keybinded all my skills.

Practiced for dozens of hours. about 10 days.

I re spec'd to IO/Arsenal.

I am a glass cannon now, but I have lots of fun. Being a Bodyguard Merc has to be the worst "Dueling" class in the game. I didn't find it fun at all in PvP.

Edited by hiddenpookie

• 3 weeks later...
What stats do people go for? Before 3.0 I didn't bother with crit at all, but it's looking like I need to put a good chunk in to even get to the low 20s for crit, and maybe allocate more surge than I did before. I'm still upgrading my pvp gear for 3.0, but it seems like it'd still be worth getting surge up into the high 60s. But I dunno, I'm open to thoughts.

What stats do people go for? Before 3.0 I didn't bother with crit at all, but it's looking like I need to put a good chunk in to even get to the low 20s for crit, and maybe allocate more surge than I did before. I'm still upgrading my pvp gear for 3.0, but it seems like it'd still be worth getting surge up into the high 60s. But I dunno, I'm open to thoughts.

To be honest, I'm not going off of the stat curves if they've changed since 3.0 (as you might guess I'm only around sparingly), but I've been using mostly stock gear thus far. For critical rating I'm aiming for 25%, because a few of your abilities have internal +5% critical chances from abilities and Disciplines, namely Trauma Probe (unlocked at Level 59), and Advanced Medical Probe and Bacta Infusion (with the Target Lock passive).

For surge rating, I'm aiming for about 65% surge rating or so, which can be tinkered between Alacrity and Surge as you like. I personally prefer Surge for bigger heals; but Alacrity is worth experimenting with since it does so much nowadays. But for the explanation of why to aim for 65%, or ideally 70% if you want to go that much into Surge -- you can get your surge rating up to 95% thanks to passive effects. Potent Medicine (Level 52) increases your surge rating on critical heals by 15%. Target Lock increases it for an additional 10%, so long as you can keep it rolling. So with all of those running, your effective surge rating is at least 90%. The best way to keep Target Lock rolling is your group healing -- Successive Treatment, Trauma Probe, and Kolto Bomb. Chances are good that at least one of them is going to crit, since they all carry multple chances.

Edited by SpaniardInfinity

That all makes sense, thanks. And I did notice the auto crit abilities, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't ignoring Surge. Even with me still working on it, there are some satisfyingly big heal numbers already from crits. It's just nice to have some numbers in mind that I'm reaching for. I'm always going to be short of them, as I don't play enough (and alt too much) to really get the top tier pvp gear in each slot, but it's good to have an idea.

• 1 month later...

Hi good folks, I am planning on running a Combat Medic as my next character. I have a stock Commando on Level 25. Is it a good time to respec her, or is there a better moment in the level progression as they go fast with 12xXP. Is there anything specific to watch out for in a Commando-healer play in the lowbie-midbie brackets (save for normal level discrepancy stuff)?

My first healer class is a Sage, if it helps anything for comparison, and I have not tried a Scoundrel at all yet.

Hi good folks, I am planning on running a Combat Medic as my next character. I have a stock Commando on Level 25. Is it a good time to respec her, or is there a better moment in the level progression as they go fast with 12xXP. Is there anything specific to watch out for in a Commando-healer play in the lowbie-midbie brackets (save for normal level discrepancy stuff)?

My first healer class is a Sage, if it helps anything for comparison, and I have not tried a Scoundrel at all yet.

Hey!

Sorry for the late notice, I hope what I say will still be some use for you.

A good place to respec to healing is at lvl26 when you get Kolto Bomb.

What you need to watch out for is that you get most of the resource management talents and your cheap healers pretty late, so you need to emphasize the use of Med Shot.

Don't use Kolto Bomb unless more than 1 friendly takes damage, because until lvl59 it costs the same as Medical Probe. After that it's more desirable to use.

Everythig else is pretty much the same as it's described in guides. Commando healer lvling is pretty straight forward.

• 2 months later...

Love this guide! Thanks for creating it.

Mercenary Healer is my next character and I'm aiming for Ranked PvP, Will probably be in the Solo Queue. I was wondering why you went for Mainstat over Power Augments?

Also, would you change any one the gear recommendations for Ranked play over Regs?

• 1 year later...