Why is the Story Mode, not a Story Mode?

If you want to go Explosive Conflict (story mode) at the moment you need to have T3 Gear.

But not every player / guild is interested in Hard Mode and Nightmare Mode Operations!

should this be so? :confused:

Edited by Micro_Cuts

With 4 bosses, do people seriously want a raid that can be downed in a week?

Then what? No new content for 6 months?

This like seriously i cant believe people are complaining about content that is finally difficult i could do normal KP and EV in my sleep. This is a new tier go get columi gear and whip a few times(like a real raid). The instance is absolutely working as balanced bioware intended to make improve upon the joke that was EV and KP. In fact, to put this in perspective, my guild cleared HM kp and ev in 1 hour and 45 minutes, and we took a break in that period of time. Yes, difficulty needed to be changed.

why should new 50's be able to easily take out a new harder lvl op that is made for people that actually did the previous 2 ops to gear up. for us, the people that cleared the last 2 ops, the new op story mode is fun and challenging but more then possible to do. you need to take the same road we took to get here. Do the old ops, gear up and then go to the new op. it was made as a challenge for people that are not finding EV and KP challenging anymore because they did them so many times and already got all the gear, we SPENT TIME doing them. a lot of time.

why should this new OP story mode be easier then the old OPS HM? even be equal to it? common, this is called PROGRESSION.

it should be and feel a story mode for rakata/calumi geared people exactly like EV/KP story mode feels for ungeared fresh 50's.

Edited by SoraQuasar

why should this new OP story mode be easier then the old OPS HM? even be equal to it? common, this is called PROGRESSION.

it should be and feel a story mode for rakata/calumi geared people exactly like EV/KP story mode is for ungeared fresh 50's.

1. Because story mode progression should be story to story, not story to hard to story. This isn't for guild progression, it's for casual and pug progression.

2. It should be a story mode for columi ONLY geared people. Otherwise, the content is mistuned, since it drops gear that you claim it should be progression for (rakata gear).

*** I haven't really come to my final verdict on the difficulty, but first impressions tell me that it's not quite where it ought to be for their stated target audience, and will, in fact discourage those people from continuing to be involved in raiding.

2. It should be a story mode for columi ONLY geared people. Otherwise, the content is mistuned, since it drops gear that you claim it should be progression for (rakata gear).

*** I haven't really come to my final verdict on the difficulty, but first impressions tell me that it's not quite where it ought to be for their stated target audience, and will, in fact discourage those people from continuing to be involved in raiding.

i did say rakata/calumi whichever you got.

and basically this op is more about coordination and execution and not 100% depended on gear at all.

yes it will take you a lot of time to understand the mechanics if you don't watch guides about it and yes its hard to coordinate with pugs and so on. but that's in the end where the fun is. rewards don't come freely. work a bit, eventually you'll get it.

and one other thing, as an mmo, you do need to give incentive to people that play a lot of time, if new things are easy they will stop playing it because they don't get any gratification from it.

Edited by SoraQuasar

i did say rakata/calumi whichever you got.

and basically this op is more about coordination and execution and not 100% depended on gear at all.

yes it will take you a lot of time to understand the mechanics if you don't watch guides about it and yes its hard to coordinate with pugs and so on. but that's in the end where the fun is. rewards don't come freely. work a bit, eventually you'll get it.

and one other thing, as an mmo, you do need to give incentive to people that play a lot of time, if new things are easy they will stop playing it because they don't get any gratification from it.

If you hit your target audience with a properly tuned difficulty the incentive to play more is leveling up alts and doing the Ops in whichever difficulty you have chosen. In WoW Wrath and before I had my main that was always current and I also raided 2-3 alts in the lower tiers.

By your standard some of these people need to do normal 1st tier then HM 1st tier in order to do story 2nd tier??? Like someone said above it should be story to story to story. Some people would never be able to down HM Soa with tier 5 gear on so story should be for them.

Also, to some of the rest of you, I'd venture to guess that <1% of people on MMOs post or read forums and thusly an also small percentage watch raid strats on youtube, they are too busy...wait for it....playing the game and trying to enjoy it. So careful when some of you throw the noobs titles around.

One more thing, sorry.

I will agree with anyone who says it might be a bit unfair that story mode drops Rakata when only HM or Nightmare tier 1 dropped Rakata. This game's itemization sucks badly and needs revamped. It's boring. Everyone looks the same /yawn.

Sorry to use WoW again but hey they are the big boys. In Wrath you had Naxx gear and equivalent Tier then Ulduar gear and equivalent tier pieces and on and on. It was not Naxx and equivalent gear then Ulduar dropped Naxx gear and a few Ulduar pieces.

You don't need gear from the previous tier to do story mode EC.

What does EC story drop? Rakata. If you only factor in gear progression, would it make sense for you to be in Rakata for a raid that rewards you... Rakata? Of course not. All you need is columi.

This is not WoW where PUGs demand that you overgear the instance before they'll invite you. Just think about what it rewards and you'll see how silly it is to suggest you need previous tier gear.

I also hear the following being thrown around: Bioware said EC story mode would be easier than EV/KP story mode!!! It said so on the power point!!!

I think people have misheard it, misread it, or are relying too much on bullet points that, by their nature, are not very informative.

EV/KP, with very few exceptions, are tank and spank fights with incredibly lenient enrage timers, to the point where people were 4-manning them. If you can present any reasonable way to make this easier, I'd love to hear it. You can't. What Bioware meant was "story mode EC is easier than HM/NiM EV/KP." Which it is, and it makes a lot more sense.

The biggest problem players are having right now is the introduction of real mechanics and raid coordination and communication. These, in and of themselves, are not "hard" but they're certainly new for TOR players. It will take time to get used to them. When they are, we'll be back to complaining about how easy the game is. :p

The biggest problem players are having right now is the introduction of real mechanics and raid coordination and communication. These, in and of themselves, are not "hard" but they're certainly new for TOR players. It will take time to get used to them. When they are, we'll be back to complaining about how easy the game is. :p

I agree with you in principle but some mechanics are gonna be too much for some players. I know that sounds generalized but hear me out. I thought EV/KP were boring because normal and HM were the same (I don't do nor do I care to do Nightmare, I'm a HM target audience). So why not 1st boss story, tank and spank with gear that is only available in story mode. Then HM... OMG!!! what is this the boss jumped over to me what the hell is this!!!! Chaos ensues and a wow factor of learning a new wrinkle. See that is dynamic and fun and allows the story mode to be all inclusive so THAT segment of the population is happy.

I'm telling you all that these complaints are only gonna grow as more and more casuals get braver to actually post here and open themselves to the ridicule that will follow from the jerk everyday poster types. It happened in Cataclysm and it will invariably happen here. If you allow more people to raid with lower difficulty content like how easy normal mode EV/KP was and then do a complete 180 and make them NOT stand in stuff, or tank swap or actually heal full time those peeps not gonna be happy. And you all know I'm right.

I agree with you in principle but some mechanics are gonna be too much for some players. I know that sounds generalized but hear me out. I thought EV/KP were boring because normal and HM were the same (I don't do nor do I care to do Nightmare, I'm a HM target audience). So why not 1st boss story, tank and spank with gear that is only available in story mode. Then HM... OMG!!! what is this the boss jumped over to me what the hell is this!!!! Chaos ensues and a wow factor of learning a new wrinkle. See that is dynamic and fun and allows the story mode to be all inclusive so THAT segment of the population is happy.

I'm telling you all that these complaints are only gonna grow as more and more casuals get braver to actually post here and open themselves to the ridicule that will follow from the jerk everyday poster types. It happened in Cataclysm and it will invariably happen here. If you allow more people to raid with lower difficulty content like how easy normal mode EV/KP was and then do a complete 180 and make them NOT stand in stuff, or tank swap or actually heal full time those peeps not gonna be happy. And you all know I'm right.

I do understand the point you're trying to make, but I don't see tank swapping as a complex mechanic. The jump is clearly visible, tanks tab target and hit their taunt. Real easy, real simple. Anyone can do it.

I think part of the problem we're seeing is Bioware expected us to take two tanks into EV/KP. This didn't happen. No one did it. So now, in response to this, they're shoving two tank mechanics down our throat. Different, but players will get used to it.

Lol sorry I was just using that as a for instance. I just mean normal is normal, HM adds new mechanics, and Nightmare blows your hair back and takes a month or months to down even by the best guilds, like Vanilla bosses were in WoW.

But I do stand by tank swapping as a step up in difficulty for many who would wrongly assume that someone was pulling agro or that that tank sucked and couldn't hold agro. Let's face it some peeps are not good raiders and never will be so I thought that a 3 tiered system of super easy, challenging and OMG (pulls hair out) was brilliant. But in actuality I just fear they are gonna alienate that segment and I'm betting casuals and people who prefer pugging are a large portion of the subs.

Lol sorry I was just using that as a for instance. I just mean normal is normal, HM adds new mechanics, and Nightmare blows your hair back and takes a month or months to down even by the best guilds, like Vanilla bosses were in WoW.

But I do stand by tank swapping as a step up in difficulty for many who would wrongly assume that someone was pulling agro or that that tank sucked and couldn't hold agro. Let's face it some peeps are not good raiders and never will be so I thought that a 3 tiered system of super easy, challenging and OMG (pulls hair out) was brilliant. But in actuality I just fear they are gonna alienate that segment and I'm betting casuals and people who prefer pugging are a large portion of the subs.

We have no idea what NiM is going to look like, but EC does follow the first two stages that you outlined.

What I will give you is this: normal EC is not LFR difficulty. I'm glad of that, but it's also not faceroll. Now are TOR's casual up to anything beyond LFR difficulty? Time will tell.

Making all content accessible to all players regardless of how much effort they put in to get their doesn't make sense to me.

IMO if a player doesn't put in the effort to get T1 gear then they haven't earned the chance to move on to any T2 content.

Without progression of gear and difficulty there would be even less point to MMO's with this common model/structure (such as WoW).

Edited by Bluestone

Making all content accessible to all players regardless of how much effort they put in to get their doesn't make sense to me.

IMO if a player doesn't put in the effort to get T1 gear then they haven't earned the chance to move on to any T2 content.

Without progression of gear and difficulty there would be even less point to MMO's with this common model/structure (such as WoW).

What is being discussed is people doing T1 story mode and then do T2 story mode. I'm not sure where you are getting the lack of progression or people not putting any effort in.

This progression even makes sense as columi geared people would be getting Rakata gear. As opposed to having to get full Rakata to go do a raid that gives Rakata.