Cunning gear with shield rating?

brandhund

I'm encountering a chunk of cunning statted gear that also has shield rating around level 40-ish content. I'm at a loss. I don't think there's a cunning tank out there. None that I'm aware of, at least. Defense rating I can at least...sort of understand. But shield rating? You actually need shields to use that.

Any insight, fellow smugglers?

• 1 month later...

I am deeply puzzled about this. I am pre-crafting implants on my Sage biochemist to gear my Smuggler alt and most of my RE's give purple implants with shield rating.

I would really, really like to know - is there a smuggler spec that can actually use shield rating ??

does shield rating not affect what hits during crouch, or what the defense screen does?

In order to shield anything, you need to have a shield generator equipped in your offhand slot. Smugglers cannot equip shield generators. I am not aware of any medium-armor-wearing companion, for any class, that is able to equip shield generators either.

There's some companions that may benefit from these items, but they're certainly not optimal for you personally.

Um...not on Republic Side, at least.

Remember this was a Medium Armor piece, Cunning-based, with Shield Rating. Now let's look at all the companions:

JEDI CONSULAR

Qyzen - heavy armor, Aim

Theran - medium armor, Cunning... but doesn't use shield generators

Zenith - medium armor, Cunning... but doesn't use shield generators

Iresso - heavy armor, Aim

Nadia - light armor, Willpower

JEDI KNIGHT

T7 - heavy armor, Aim

Kira - light armor, Willpower

Doc - medium armor, Cunning... but doesn't use shield generators

Rusk - heavy armor, Aim

Scourge - heavy armor, Strength

SMUGGLER

Corso - heavy armor, Aim

Bowdaar - heavy armor, Strength

Risha - medium armor, Cunning... but doesn't use shield generators

Akaavi - heavy armor, Aim

Gus - medium armor, Cunning... but doesn't use shield generators

TROOPER

Aric - heavy armor, Aim

Alara - heavy armor, Aim

M1-4X - heavy armor, Aim

Tanno - heavy armor, Aim

Yuun - heavy armor, Aim

And I just looked over the list of Imperial classes and their companions, none of those are medium armor, cunning, shield-using folks either.

So I don't see how there are any companions that truly benefit from an item with this particular itemization. Sure there are plenty of medium armor, cunning-based companions...it's just that not a single one of them needs shielding. And there are plenty of heavy armor wearing, shield generator equipping companions...but every single one of them is Aim-based, not Cunning-based.

Unless I'm missing something, or all the fansite info on one of these companions is incorrect.

Edited by MithrilSoul

Um...not on Republic Side, at least.

Remember this was a Medium Armor piece, Cunning-based, with Shield Rating. Now let's look at all the companions:

JEDI CONSULAR

Qyzen - heavy armor, Aim

Theran - medium armor, Cunning... but doesn't use shield generators

Zenith - medium armor, Cunning... but doesn't use shield generators

Iresso - heavy armor, Aim

Nadia - light armor, Willpower

JEDI KNIGHT

T7 - heavy armor, Aim

Kira - light armor, Willpower

Doc - medium armor, Cunning... but doesn't use shield generators

Rusk - heavy armor, Aim

Scourge - heavy armor, Strength

SMUGGLER

Corso - heavy armor, Aim

Bowdaar - heavy armor, Strength

Risha - medium armor, Cunning... but doesn't use shield generators

Akaavi - heavy armor, Aim

Gus - medium armor, Cunning... but doesn't use shield generators

TROOPER

Aric - heavy armor, Aim

Alara - heavy armor, Aim

M1-4X - heavy armor, Aim

Tanno - heavy armor, Aim

Yuun - heavy armor, Aim

And I just looked over the list of Imperial classes and their companions, none of those are medium armor, cunning, shield-using folks either.

So I don't see how there are any companions that truly benefit from an item with this particular itemization. Sure there are plenty of medium armor, cunning-based companions...it's just that not a single one of them needs shielding. And there are plenty of heavy armor wearing, shield generator equipping companions...but every single one of them is Aim-based, not Cunning-based.

Unless I'm missing something, or all the fansite info on one of these companions is incorrect.

I did the same check because this claim looked fishy to me, and I came up with the same results.

Side note 1: You TECHNICALLY can stack you medium armor, cunning gear on a Heavy Armor, Aim Shield Generator character, and you can TECHNICALLY get a benefit out of it, but that like my Ops stacking light armor Willpower gear and saying the character gets stats benefits. So, what Georg said was TECHNICALLY correct. Still not a good idea.

Side note 2: Its possible a future companion (HK-51?) may use a shield generator and cunning as a stat, so I'll give Georg the benefit of the doubt on this one...

Side note 3: Of all the posts to comment on in the Ops/Scoundrel boards, and all their pressing issues, this is the one that gets attention? Oy.

There's a whole load of lazy itemisations. Just look at the 'standard' way crafted items upgrade through re-engineering. Plenty of useless combinations there that could just have been pruned from the tree. I get that having fewer possibilities means that all useful ones will be collected earlier, but is that really outweighed by the sheer frustration of finding Cunning tanking modules?

I'm encountering a chunk of cunning statted gear that also has shield rating around level 40-ish content. I'm at a loss. I don't think there's a cunning tank out there. None that I'm aware of, at least. Defense rating I can at least...sort of understand. But shield rating? You actually need shields to use that.

Any insight, fellow smugglers?

Ironically - I just REd a Implant to purple today and it added Shield to a cunning base seed implant. I thought for a moment then realized that no one on the republic side (at least) would want it, companion or not. Forever stuck in my book it is now though. :-/

Ironically - I just REd a Implant to purple today and it added Shield to a cunning base seed implant. I thought for a moment then realized that no one on the republic side (at least) would want it, companion or not. Forever stuck in my book it is now though. :-/

Build one and stick it in the Nar Shadda Auction house.. but wait, that would be aiding the enemy...

I've heard mention of aim lightsabers. Pretty sure those would be useless. And I know personally I got 2 aim scatterguns. Useless. One was a security box loot and one was a lockbox loot from a weapons vendor. Pretty sure there are no aim main stat, scattergun using companions. Can anyone verify this? My theory is they randomized stats and naming for green loot drops and didn't bother to think about preventing useless combinations. Surely they didn't actually have someone manually "code" these items. I'd hate to think that someone got paid for coming up with decent star warsy names and then put these stat combos on the database items. Unless they needed a way to fill a day or two for an intern.