Suspending Game Logins

EricMusco

Alright friends, let's talk about why we had the emergency maintenance. There was an issue that when someone in certain zones completed a Mission and hit the accept button to complete it, they would receive the rewards but the Mission wouldn't actually complete. This meant someone could infinitely hit the accept button over and over again and reap those rewards.

This created a bad situation for two reasons. First, it was extremely exploitable. Two, someone could get stuck where they couldn't progress because of their Mission not completing. For this reason we brought the servers down and started exploring if we could fix it live, without a patch (we can!).

We believe we can get this issue resolved and get the servers back online within about 45 minutes from the time of my post (hopefully sooner!). I will continue to pass on updates as I have them, thanks everyone.

-eric

Thanks for the transparency, and great to hear you can hotfix it. Looking forward to playing again later today! :)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright friends, let's talk about why we had the emergency maintenance. There was an issue that when someone in certain zones completed a Mission and hit the accept button to complete it, they would receive the rewards but the Mission wouldn't actually complete. This meant someone could infinitely hit the accept button over and over again and reap those rewards.

This created a bad situation for two reasons. First, it was extremely exploitable. Two, someone could get stuck where they couldn't progress because of their Mission not completing. For this reason we brought the servers down and started exploring if we could fix it live, without a patch (we can!).

-eric

I had something simular happening to me last week, though that was more like autocomplete seemed to

complete a questchain twice.

On my day off and finally get to play the game - walk away from it for two minutes (to listen to my daughter play her Star Wars piece for her piano lessons :) ) ...come back and the game is down _ Bad news!:mad:

Come on here and find that there is a timely reason given for the suspension of play - well impressed. Thank you Eric - it DOES mean a lot! :D

Keep up the good communications and the player base can forgive a lot.

*going off to read my George Lucas biography*

• Dev Post
Thanks for the update Eric. Will the cheaters be sanctioned for this? Or will there be a rollback?

Next steps are now that it is fixed, looking into if anyone abused it. I someone abused it, they exploited, and appropriate action will be taken against them. We might take their ill-gotten gains, but no rollbacks or anything like that.

As a side note, there were quite a few individuals who reported the issue very quickly to both myself, and to Customer Support. A special thanks to everyone who did! This always allows us to jump on addressing the issue as quickly as possible to stop it from becoming wide-spread.

-eric

I suspected it was related to those crew missions chain popping and preventing me from going any further in my Trooper story :) (and apparently, it was not only crew mission rewards, some must have earned A LOT of good things abusing this loophole).

Glad to know it can be hot-fixed !

Next steps are now that it is fixed, looking into if anyone abused it. I someone abused it, they exploited, and appropriate action will be taken against them. We might take their ill-gotten gains, but no rollbacks or anything like that.

As a side note, there were quite a few individuals who reported the issue very quickly to both myself, and to Customer Support. A special thanks to everyone who did! This always allows us to jump on addressing the issue as quickly as possible to stop it from becoming wide-spread.

-eric

Thanks for the information and the updates, Eric.

All I heard in the last twitch and all even this communication shows you read and acted on what we all here complained. Even if is visible that the resources you have are not as big as we would wish, that is good.

Before going on forum I re-subbed. Seeing this sort of communication makes me happy I did.

Edited by Katushe

I was trying to level my Agent and I kept running into other people. I just thought I would get some alone time on the server :rak_03:

Kidding of course(or am I!?!?), we'll talk about what is going on once we get through our investigation.

-eric

If you want alone time, come to Harbringer... :rolleyes:

Maybe a reward for those who reported instead of exploited?

-eric

I have to say that coming here and seeing Eric posting and keeping us updated really made me, as a customer, feel valued. Thank you so much! It's amazing when there's communication between players and Devs.

Wow, week made!

Take your time in getting it fixed, SWTOR is worth the wait, more-so after this amazing example of respect for your players.

Edited by Valaetia

-eric

The people who reported it should get a reward.

Between downloading and getting preferred status...it took me like 2 days of gaming. Between preferred and subscription...took me another 4-5 days. And then I subbed and all hell breaks loose. Maintenance, patch, two days trying to figure out how to repair the game that was broken by the patch, and as soon as I am back in, couple of hours later extra maintenance. And the next day a hotfix maintenance. Through the last two I am keeping fingers crossed for fear it will mess my login again. Really had agonizing two days fixing it after Tuesday.

But, anyway...this shows that -in a bit of disorganized manner- work is being done. Compared to my previous subscribed MMO (DDO), where there was one maintenance every other month, one patch every semester, bugs remained for months, exploits too...though at least they never got a misfire. What's best? Quick resolution or working resolution? Remains to be seen.

I have to say that coming here and seeing Eric posting and keeping us updated really made me, as a customer, feel valued. Thank you so much! It's amazing when there's communication between players and Devs.

Wow, week made!

Take your time in getting it fixed, SWTOR is worth the weight, more-so after this amazing example of respect for your players.

Agreed! Great to see the updates. Eric, thanks for the effort to keep us informed.

The reward is knowing you did the right thing.

If you see a crime happening and you call the cops you expect to get money for reporting it? It's your civic duty to do right, otherwise you'd be no better than the criminals. Being better human beings than the criminals, that's the reward.

• Dev Post

Keith (my boss) and I were talking about this very thing. We certainly want to reward the good (not exploiting and reporting it) over the bad (exploiting). Maybe we can do something like this in the future!

I just imagine everyone waiting around for us to introduce an exploit so everyone can start spamming my inbox and CS with reports to get their reward lol.

-eric

Keith (my boss) and I were talking about this very thing. We certainly want to reward the good (not exploiting and reporting it) over the bad (exploiting). Maybe we can do something like this in the future!

I just imagine everyone waiting around for us to introduce an exploit so everyone can start spamming my inbox and CS with reports to get their reward lol.

-eric

Double Rewards for reporting the exploit of the reporting exploit!

Triple Rewards for posting the exploit of the reporting the reporting exploit exploit!

Quadruple Rew...