On General Grievous and Outer Space

viridianblade

Greetings

This question came to me while viewing Episode III. General Grievous has a quite nasty cough during the motion picture brought to him by Mace Windu. Thereafter you can clearly see his gutsack after Obi-Wan rips of his protective outer layer. This seems to signify that the general not only still got lungs but actively uses them too. However he is clearly depicted as going out in space in the beginning when he shatters the glass of his spaceship. His is not seen in space for long so it is possible he can just hold his breath while being protected from the vacuum of space by his armor.

Now I ask if you know of moments that Grievous went into space for alonger period and how he survived if this was the case

Thanks in advance

Initially, I thought maybe his cybernetic body acted as something of a sealed system, and thus be able to protect them in the vacuum of space. However, his eyes are still organic and they are exposed. So I'd hazard to guess that quite a bit of dramatic license was taken.

How did he get the cough btw?

What's the story behind that?

The Tartakovsky Clone Wars cartoons depicted Mace telekinetically crushing his chest as he's escaping after kidnapping Palpatine, at which point he starts coughing.

However, the 3D Clone Wars series shows him having the cough long before that.

According to Lucasfilm execs, it's a result of the cyborg body having some kinks in it- some kind of fluid drainage problem that the designers couldn't quite solve.

The real explanation, of course, is that they wanted to show the audience that he's not a droid so that his death wouldn't have them going "***?"

Edited by XenusParadox

The Tartakovsky Clone Wars cartoons depicted Mace telekinetically crushing his chest as he's escaping after kidnapping Palpatine, at which point he starts coughing.

However, the 3D Clone Wars series shows him having the cough long before that.

According to Lucasfilm execs, it's a result of the cyborg body having some kinks in it- some kind of fluid drainage problem that the designers couldn't quite solve.

The real explanation, of course, is that they wanted to show the audience that he's not a droid so that his death wouldn't have them going "***?"

I see thanks for the info.

Was he still a cyborg in the clone wars show?

And was he ever non-robotic?

Hes a cyborg..

So he was born a cyborg?

I'm trying to get a better understanding of the transition of his metamorphosis.

Trying to figure out if he had a serious injury that cause him to become a cyborg or simply just wanted to improve himself for combat purposes.

Wolf didn't really read my question so I'll reword it in hopes of a better understanding

Shuttle crashed into him on his home planet, Tyranus built him again as a cyborg because he saw potential.

Stuff like this could be found on the star wars wiki.

Actually, it was a bomb that Dooku had placed on the shuttle in order to inflict catastrophic injuries on Grievous, necessitating his transformation into a cyborg.

Which is kind of a risky plan- the bomb could have easily killed him- but whatever. It's the Star Wars EU after all.

From the Wiki link posted above:

His vital organs were housed in a synthskin gut-sack impervious to vacuum. The Geonosians would also alter his brain against his wishes, both to trim away disturbing memories—while enhancing his rage centers—and to enhance his equilibrium, allowing him to better employ his newfound agility. Internal implants were also placed in his eyes to sharpen his vision and to protect them from the vacuum of space.

While the midi-chlorian-rich blood of Sifo-Dyas may have played a critical role in maintaining Sheelal's life, Grievous saw it as a personal failure that the transfusion did not also give him a degree of sensitivity to the Force. To San Hill and his allies, however, the experiment was a phenomenal success. Qymaen jai Sheelal had become General Grievous in form as well as spirit.

The same droids and techniques used to rebuild Grievous would later be used to apply Darth Vader's cybernetic suit.

He should freeze and die, if he has organic parts.

The average temperature of Space is 3 degrees above Absolute Zero (well there is no temperature in space really, but your body will just lose all of it's heat to the vacuum until you reach 3 degrees above Absolute Zero, by which time you' d have frozen solid).

The popular theory is you can last 30 secs to minute of space exposure before you lose too much heat and freeze to death.

(Of course Sifi series seem to defy this all the time, as do Jedi apparently if you watch the Clone Wars).

Edited by AngelousWang

He should freeze and die, if he has organic parts.

The average temperature of Space is 3 degrees above Absolute Zero (well there is no temperature in space really, but your body will just lose all of it's heat to the vacuum until you reach 3 degrees above Absolute Zero, by which time you' d have frozen solid).

The popular theory is you can last 30 secs to minute of space exposure before you lose too much heat and freeze to death.

(Of course Sifi series seem to defy this all the time, as do Jedi apparently if you watch the Clone Wars).

He would be dead long before he froze to death. Heat does not transfer out of the body very rapidly in the absence of a medium such as air or water, so freezing to death is not an immediate risk in outer space despite the extreme cold.

How did he get the cough btw?

What's the story behind that?

Watch the last episode of the original mini-series. Clone Wars. As Greivous kidnaps Palpatine and is about to take him to his ship, Mace Windu used force crush on Geivous' chest, slightly crushing his remaining organs.

It was also due to the fact that he was kept alive by low-grade medical technology, unlike Vader, and that the main reason Greivous was alive was by the blood of the dead jedi (butchering his name, sorry) Syfo-dias.

Edited by Eillack

Watch the last episode of the original mini-series. Clone Wars. As Greivous kidnaps Palpatine and is aout ot take him to his ship, Mace Windu used force crush on Geivous' chest, slightly crushing his remaining organs.

It was also due to the fact that he was kept alive by low-grade medical technology, unlike Vader, and that the main reason Greivous was alive was by the blood of the dead jedi (butchering his name, sorry) Syfo-dias.

You were close, just swap the y and i around and the name is right.

You were close, just swap the y and i around and the name is right.

Darn, so close. :p

But yeah if people need background info on the time period between Ep II and Ep III. Please watch Clone Wars the mini-series season 1 and 2, not The Clone Wars witch gives no regard to the timeline it is rewriting.

The miniseries actually led up to the begining of Ep III, literally. I doubt TCW will ever be that acurate.

So he was born a cyborg?

I'm trying to get a better understanding of the transition of his metamorphosis.

Trying to figure out if he had a serious injury that cause him to become a cyborg or simply just wanted to improve himself for combat purposes.

Wolf didn't really read my question so I'll reword it in hopes of a better understanding

No he wasnt, He was a fully humaoid and general when Dooku heard of him and his impressive talents and decided to ''recruit'' him.

Actually Dooku planned an ''accident'' wich almost killed grievous and Dooku gave him the opportunity to keep him alive if he accepted to fight for him. He gave him a new body, with blood of an ancient Sith(rumors), wipped his memory and impletend a new one, one of pur evil and hatred.

Poor guy got $/&&/* in every holes on this one loll

Well so Here's what I tell myself to make myself believe that there can be explosions in space and other physics defying things in the various media. There are 3 things I tell myself:

1. Since the Star Wars universe is engulfed in a huge pocket of Force energy there is a small amount of different gases in space which allows for explosions in space but does not allow for breathing in space.

2. Because of this "force pocket" the temperature in space in the Star Wars universe isn't as cold as our universe.

3. The Star Wars universe doesn't have to bend to our universe's set of laws of physics because it ISN"T REAL!!!;)