Rome-fu's Resolve Guide

Felnadir

Great Post. SWTOR is still young, and this encourage players to not give up easily when defeated, as all good players knows, mastery doesn't come from spamming one skill button. Each day i get to know this game is deeper than i imagined.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played another 20 or so matches last night....both of these still hold true.

Played about 10, one particular match I was stunned 3 times in a row, resolve full, rooted, stunned again while resolve still running down, grappled immediately after...still with resolve, rooted, resolve empty, knocked back, mezzed, stunned, resolve full, stunned again, THEN it finally stops something.

Yes I realize rooting has no immunity.

Ironically this happened on my newest sage. I dunno how I lived as long as I did, I'm guessing because the 3 of them spent half of their time spamming CC on me, I counter CC'd best i could, and used a PVP heal charge.

Reason I was alone was I was last in the pack headed to the right gun turret :). They initially CC'd me right at the dividing wall heading right and I made it within inches of the sprint power-up despite all that CC.

Still, that's alot of CC within a short amount of time for resolve to kick in ONCE at the end of it. Though honestly had they not been derps they woulda just smoked me on the spot instead of spamming CC at me. I guess it's that ingrained.

Played about 10, one particular match I was stunned 3 times in a row, resolve full, rooted, stunned again while resolve still running down, grappled immediately after...still with resolve, rooted, resolve empty, knocked back, mezzed, stunned, resolve full, stunned again, THEN it finally stops something.

Yes I realize rooting has no immunity.

Ironically this happened on my newest sage. I dunno how I lived as long as I did, I'm guessing because the 3 of them spent half of their time spamming CC on me, I counter CC'd best i could, and used a PVP heal charge.

Reason I was alone was I was last in the pack headed to the right gun turret :). They initially CC'd me right at the dividing wall heading right and I made it within inches of the sprint power-up despite all that CC.

Still, that's alot of CC within a short amount of time for resolve to kick in ONCE at the end of it. Though honestly had they not been derps they woulda just smoked me on the spot instead of spamming CC at me. I guess it's that ingrained.

This.

Resolve DOESN'T work. I've had my resolve bar full and still been CC'd in an 8 second stun from a Gunslinger etc.

Further to that, even when resolve does fill and do nothing, it cools down so quick that it doesn't impact a CC only 4 or 5 seconds later.

Resolve is stupid and here is why:

Lets say i throw a flashbang(8 seconds). It immidiately puts the resolve bar at full.

By the time the flashbang wears off, your resolve bar has gone down.(all you need is less than full).

Then another person throws a flashbang.

---------

what should happen:

You get less of a stun, or no stun

-----------------------------

What actually happens: You get stunned for the whole duration

--------------------------------------

Resolve isn't put in right, it "builds up" on snares and stuns, and sometimes gets full. But you can get anyone stunned/snared for the ENTIRE duration so long as their resolve bar is not 100% full.

It might be reasonable if resolve mitigated CC's at all levels, i.e. a 50% full bar provided either a 50% resist or a 50% reduction in duration.

But the current system is useless except to add an occasional fluke defense against CC.

While most of the post is accurate, after taking it and testing it over and over again (I waited until it was non prime time because I was simply testing skills and certainly not helping) and the simple fact is Resolve is 50/50. In one case, not only did Resolve, completely full, fail, but it actually started to reduce as I was being force choked.

Fu any input on that while I continue testing?

Yeah this talks about how resolve is "supposed" to work but in actually most of the time it just doesn't work. If a full bar is supposed to be immunity, it never actually happens. I've been chain stunned quite a few times with a full bar and it really pisses me off.

It builds too slowly, it provides no resistance until it is full, and when it is full it is about a 50/50 shot for either fully resisting a knockback/cc or taking the full duration.

We complained about this all through beta too and it went unaddressed. I don't even think Bioware cares. What it really comes down to is that there needs to be immediate diminishing returns on CC from 0 to 100 and full immunity at 100 for a couple of seconds.

Edited by Lightmgl

I personally think that in order for resolve to really be effective it would have to grant immunity from being controlled for a few seconds after you get controlled once. As it is it doesn't really seem to stop anyone from getting chain stunned to death. But why would they want to change it? We all know how much fun it is to watch helplessly as your immobilized character gets annihilated in a hail of blaster fire. :rolleyes: Edited by MorgonKara

This thread being stickied is a joke. Even when resolve DOES work properly, which is hit and miss, CC can still be used to quite easily game resolve and leave someone locked down nearly the entire time.

I don't even play much melee but I feel for them. Even when it kicks in what good does 8 seconds of resolve do you when your going to spend the entire time rooted/snared?

If resolve isn't officially bugged and broken then it is effectively broken because I am chain knockbacked stunned and snared all the time. Only occasionally do I see someone not get pulled when I try to grappled them but that could also be due to them getting caught on geometry. They need to take the Warhammer Online diminishing returns system as it is now and copy it over to here.

This thread doesn't really matter because resolve is broken. I get chain CCed with full resolve all the time. They need a real dr system not resolve.

Exactly!!!

Rework Resolve and do it fast grabbing the ball in Huttball = Suicide at start.

Resolve, Crowd Control (CC) and You

... resolve does not affect snares. So when the resolve bar fills up, one can still snare the player even to the point of zero movement. Furthermore, snaring a player does not increase his resolve bar. So use snares as often as needed without any worry. For those warriors with the ability to cause a 100% snare, remember that it will ALWAYS cause this effect. There is no immunity against it.

The resolve system does work. Yes a couple bugs do exist like the client and server may get out of sync resulting in endless cc. Again, due to the client/server not being in sync, sometimes a CC will sneak in near the beginning of a full white bar . Yes I hate these two bugs also. But the vast majority of complaints here about getting chain CC'd and snared are working as intended.

JKs and SWs have the ability to charge an opponent and cause 100% snare that gives the impression of a stun. Whether the talent that makes this into a stun actually applies regardless of resolve is a mystery to me. Someone else can test that and report, but everytime I get chain cc'd with a full resolve bar I have heard the accompanying JK/SW charge sound and seen them wacking away at me. Oftentimes, I will use overload during this moment to get them off me or push them into fire.

Again, as described in the quote above, a 100% snare is not affected by resolve. Snares are not part of the resolve system intentionally. SWTOR is a different game than whatever certain people are using as a reference. I personaly love the resolve system and believe it works well aside from the above mentioned bugs.

People on my server are well aware how much i use resolve to my advantage. They know I run the ball in regularly regardless of all their CC attempts. Ajunta Pal server for those curious: feel free to ask around for testamonials.

FYI: if your character feelslike he takes too much damage during cc, consider rerolling something tougher (like not dps).

The problem with resolve is simple.

Takes too long to fill up.

Doesn't protect against snares.

Doesn't stop stuns chaining (AKA 8 second stun, 8 second stun 6 secs later for a 14 second stun.

One of the main reasons Sorcs are so OP are due to their 'I CONSTANT SNARE U TROLOLOLO abilities. Playing as any class that required face to face combat is frustrating.

Basically if they want to keep the (Lame) resolve system this what needs to change.

The filling of the bar depends on a mixture of damage taken while CC'd in relation to max HP (Any kind of CC, snare, mez, etc etc) and the length of the stun.

As soon as your resolve fills up, your stun breaker comes off CD. Allowing you to choose when you become CC immune. Snares are considered just as much as a CC as everything else.

Abilities are limited to one kind of CC aka: No knockback + stun, knockback + snare, DPS + snare abilities. You use your GCD for one reason only. not for everything at once.

The anti CC ability is boosted so the effect lasts for 4-5 seconds.

This thread being stickied is a joke. Even when resolve DOES work properly, which is hit and miss, CC can still be used to quite easily game resolve and leave someone locked down nearly the entire time.

I don't even play much melee but I feel for them. Even when it kicks in what good does 8 seconds of resolve do you when your going to spend the entire time rooted/snared?

You forgot about knockbacks, on top of that.

Plus if your bar tics down one notch from full, and someone uses a stun on you, it wont trigger resolve. It just refills your bar for the next CC that probably isn't coming because you're going to die after eating all the previous CC.

JKs and SWs have the ability to charge an opponent and cause 100% snare that gives the impression of a stun. Whether the talent that makes this into a stun actually applies regardless of resolve is a mystery to me. Someone else can test that and report, but everytime I get chain cc'd with a full resolve bar I have heard the accompanying JK/SW charge sound and seen them wacking away at me. Oftentimes, I will use overload during this moment to get them off me or push them into fire.

The only JK stun/mez/kb/etc powers that work on other players are Force Stasis (3 sec channel and 1m cooldown) and Force Push (just a kb, no stun and 1m cooldown). Force Leap (the charge you referenced) does not cause a snare/stun/sap/whatever on anything, not even normal mobs. Force Sweep, Blade Storm, Master Strike, etc. don't do anything but damage to players. They have no stun/mez/etc affect. This is especially bad for Master Strike, as without the initial snare from it, the player can just move away from our highest damage power, since it is a channel and takes roughly 5 seconds to do.

I talked with a SW today too, and we tested things out for a while on Hoth... neither of our abilities worked on each other except force push and force stasis.... and as I said, that just doesn't cut it (especially considering the SI's endless lightning CC).

Edited by JefferyClark

The resolve system does work. Yes a couple bugs do exist like the client and server may get out of sync resulting in endless cc. Again, due to the client/server not being in sync, sometimes a CC will sneak in near the beginning of a full white bar . Yes I hate these two bugs also. But the vast majority of complaints here about getting chain CC'd and snared are working as intended.

Again, as described in the quote above, a 100% snare is not affected by resolve. Snares are not part of the resolve system intentionally. SWTOR is a different game than whatever certain people are using as a reference. I personaly love the resolve system and believe it works well aside from the above mentioned bugs.

People on my server are well aware how much i use resolve to my advantage. They know I run the ball in regularly regardless of all their CC attempts. Ajunta Pal server for those curious: feel free to ask around for testamonials.

FYI: if your character feelslike he takes too much damage during cc, consider rerolling something tougher (like not dps).

I call BS, it's more than that. That does not explain occasions where, through phenomenal healing, I've been stun-locked for 9/10 of the time for a minute straight. That does not explain times where I chuck CC at someone fresh from their spawn with no combat. I've had this happen at close range and I know the difference between a resits/dodge and just plain not taking effect.

I call BS, it's more than that. That does not explain occasions where, through phenomenal healing, I've been stun-locked for 9/10 of the time for a minute straight. That does not explain times where I chuck CC at someone fresh from their spawn with no combat. I've had this happen at close range and I know the difference between a resits/dodge and just plain not taking effect.

Amen. I've noticed Force Stasis last for maybe half a second most of the time.... it lets them cast a skill or 2 before "stunning" them and by then the channel is over and they are free again....

I would also say that resolve doesn't seem to work. It seems more cosmetic than having any real use. I have a full resolve bar all the time and still managed to get cc'd.

Furthermore t he whole concept of the resolve system would seem to favor tanks or more durable classes as well. Which makes the whole resolve system a bit flawed.

Finally, how do I take advantage of this system?

An experienced player uses his damage mitigation abilities in preperation of an incoming CC.

That is the most predictably put, fallacious ******** I've seen. You basically just completely assumed a perfect world of a situation. Yes, we all know what we SHOULD do in a perfect situation - and can theory craft all day long and make complex strategies against the same strategies we think of - but all that does is create the epitome of someone who is an absolute garbage of a player in application.

All of that on TOP of you basically just assumed that every class has a whole ton of damage mitigation abilities up their sleeve. That is not the case - excluding for a minute, my first part about not knowing when your opponent will do what.

Its very important to remember that CC does not work on a player who has a white bar of resolve.

I've gotten stunned WHILE the bar is full - and have stunned someone while their bar is full.

Another simple strategy to use regarding CC is to test a player's knowledge. Instead of opening up with one's awesome 6 second stun, try using a garbage mezz on the player. If one has an addition stun like many melee classes do, try using that first. A less sophisticated player will automatically use their CC breaker, thus allowing one to immediately follow up with the long 6 second stun whenever it tactically suits one. I use this strategy all the time.

In reverse, its important to know what stuns to break and which to eat.....

Anything beyond this point wasn't even necessary to type. Bottom line, you said it yourself:

The problem is, most players find that the bar doesn't fill up until they're just about dead.

Like the beginning of my response - it's pointless to try to predict anything in this game especially with such an unpredictable and stupid, buggy system such as the Resolve - but really, in the end, 95% of this OP has no purpose when you die inside of one stun duration.

The real problem is two fold:

1) Resolve is unpredictable and buggy

2) It empties too quickly.

Frickin' straight man - I'm right there with you. The game is just currently garbage for anyone who wants to PvP, lol.

It's just really really bad.