SWTOR on mac

bobonij

Dear BioWare,

I'm wondering if in the future there will be a Star Wars: the old republic for mac?

Running it on a bootcamped windows version, and going quite smoothly, but switching over all the time is kinda annoying and i really prefer using OSX instead of windows if im playing on a mac ;p

Regards,

Bob

P.S.

Merry Christmass

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear BioWare,

I'm wondering if in the future there will be a Star Wars: the old republic for mac?

Running it on a bootcamped windows version, and going quite smoothly, but switching over all the time is kinda annoying and i really prefer using OSX instead of windows if im playing on a mac ;p

Regards,

Bob

P.S.

Merry Christmass

Bob:

I'm trying to run SWTOR on my Mac vis Bootcamp but I'm getting an Error Code 7. Can you, or anyone else running successfully on a Mac, offer any advice for getting the game to run? Is there a specific driver I need to update from the 11 drivers that Mac provides to support Windows on the Windows partition?

Thanks so much.

Dear Bob,

While Macs' are wonderful computers and very good at what they do, they are not however very good as gaming systems. 90%+ of all new games are designed and written for PC's. So while I understand the attractiveness of a Mac, if you want to game, pick up a PC and keep it on the side.

:cool:

Regards,

E

P.S.

Happy New Year

I bought swtor and subscribed on my mac not realizing until it was too late they didn't have a game client for macs. What is this bootcamp on mac everyone keeps mentioning that allows them to play swtor on a mac? Do i have to buy it or just download it?

Dear Bob,

While Macs' are wonderful computers and very good at what they do, they are not however very good as gaming systems. 90%+ of all new games are designed and written for PC's. So while I understand the attractiveness of a Mac, if you want to game, pick up a PC and keep it on the side.

But truthfully, how good a computer is as a gaming system has nothing to do with the brand, it's simply a matter of looking at the specs. If it meets the minimum specs, it'll run TOR.

Edited by daemian

I bought swtor and subscribed on my mac not realizing until it was too late they didn't have a game client for macs. What is this bootcamp on mac everyone keeps mentioning that allows them to play swtor on a mac? Do i have to buy it or just download it?

It's a free utility that comes with your Mac that walks you through installing Windows. Check out the Boot Camp thread here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=11234

Bob:

I'm trying to run SWTOR on my Mac vis Bootcamp but I'm getting an Error Code 7. Can you, or anyone else running successfully on a Mac, offer any advice for getting the game to run? Is there a specific driver I need to update from the 11 drivers that Mac provides to support Windows on the Windows partition?

Thanks so much.

Error Code 7 seems to be pretty common among Windows users, there's a dev post about it in the customer service forum under the 'hot topics' thread: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=275

Has anyone successfully got the game client to run in a VM like Parallels, VM Ware Fusion? :confused:

Bootcamp rebooting is a PITA!

Several people have tried, performance is not even close to running it natively in Windows. Believe me, you'd rather just reboot.

Edited by daemian

• 2 weeks later...

its annoying to restart all the time, and i really hate using windows after ive started with mac OSX its so much better, smooth and all....

biggest prob is that when i run games in windows, even with fancontrol to increase fan speed.. my macbook pro runs REALLY hot, like 90-95c and stays between 80-95c while i play and my fans run at 6000rpm for that long time, and i can easly play for hours a day.... so i think its actually really damageing to my hardware! :( ive tryed wow in windows and on OSX and in osx the game actually runs allmost 10c lower than in windows... so I imagine a heat decrease in swtor aswel if it was to run on osx...

First, toss your mac into the garbage bin where it belongs and get a PC.

Just doing that right there will be the first, long step to recovery....

I have a very powerful pc, i7 980x Extreme Edition cpu, 580GTX, 12gb ram etc. etc.

But my work force me to travel alot and for a longer amount of time, which meens i use my macbook pro, first off, the macbook pro beat any laptop I ever had in battery life, its totally amazing, second the OSX system is just so much more comfortable than windows. Those are my opinions, therefor it would be nice if i wasnt forced to install windows on it to play a game like swtor, which as far as i know hit 1million subscribers on day 1... a game like that should have a mac platform aswel.

its annoying to restart all the time, and i really hate using windows after ive started with mac OSX its so much better, smooth and all....

biggest prob is that when i run games in windows, even with fancontrol to increase fan speed.. my macbook pro runs REALLY hot, like 90-95c and stays between 80-95c while i play and my fans run at 6000rpm for that long time, and i can easly play for hours a day.... so i think its actually really damageing to my hardware! :( ive tryed wow in windows and on OSX and in osx the game actually runs allmost 10c lower than in windows... so I imagine a heat decrease in swtor aswel if it was to run on osx...

If you use smcfancontrol, set the fan speed to a higher preset in OSX and then reboot into Windows, it'll retain those fan settings so you can keep 'em turned up while gaming.

I'm on an i7 iMac 27, and I run around 100*F while playing with fan speeds:

ODD: 2700

HDD: 3700

CPU: 1600

It's not obnoxiously loud, and runs extremely smooth at 2560x1440. Most graphics on high, with shadows off and grass/trees around 50%. (The game client doesn't like shadows on my machine, for some reason).

Looks great, though.

I'm running Input Remapper on my MacBook Pro to control fan speed. It also has some other nice features for remapping keys on the Windows side, controlling the keyboard backlight, and a few other goodies.

Even though the current version is several years old, I highly recommend it to anyone gaming on a MBP.

Dear BioWare,

Regards,

Bob

P.S.

Merry Christmass

Think they mentioned that they were looking into it recently, according to Tor-Talk.

If they do it, I hope they don't use a Cider port like City of Heroes did.

Its something I'd love to see at some point as I love my Mac and I'm just not willing to put a bootcamp partition on at this point. If BW did that I would absolutely resub.

• 2 weeks later...

I run TOR on an iMac (2010 model) with all settings on high an it plays excellently. The whole thing about them "not being good for games" is nonsense.

That being said, I do have to play it in Bootcamp which is -as the OP says- a pain. For now that's the only way.

BioWare said in an interview with Massively (google it) that they ARE going to work (or are quietly working) on a OS X port. In fact the engine in which TOR was made is being ported as a whole, making it possible for expansions to be released at the same time (in theory).

I never understand people accusing Apple of inferior hardware. If Apple is known for anything it is superior hardware.

I even prefer Windows on my Mac. It is a solid piece of hardware with excellent specs. Most of my PC friends talk about all the "tweaks" they make to their system.

I push the "on" button. :)

half a billion dollars spent and from day one bioware was begged by mac users to create a NATIVE client. blizzard did it. the graphics in this game are well withing the hardware capabilities of the macs with graphics cards. I am incensed that I need to buy a NEW operating system or computer to play a game that would have run fine if they had a team on it. Bioware was hardly cash poor. As business decisions go, it was a bad one. sure they will still make money but they could have made a LOT more. Also mac users have a rep for being very loyal to companies that treat them as equals. hence wow still with 10 million subs 7 years later. Thinking of them after the fact will become a "too little-too late" scenario. Edited by angrymommy