Gray jedi?

eldefail

I've been wanting to play a Gray Jedi type character for a while, you know, the force neutral archetype. I'm still debating whether or not I want to do this with a Jedi Knight or reroll my Consular. I know that the Consular dark side story is crap, but my LS consular is on the Balmorra bonus series and I just feel like such a goody two shoes. I'm not strictly light side, I just go with what seems appropriate for the character, but it just feels too cartoonishly "good" and unbelievably idealistic. I love the Consular story, but I was wondering if anybody had success with a more neutral/gray jedi play through? A post in another thread re-sparked my interest in this idea and I was wondering if it works well with this class...

There is a line he comes out with when told he always seems calm and stoic "ai save my emotions fo when they are most useful" or something like that. to me that somes up the grey Jedi philosophy. If you need more hints on how to play grey read dawn of the Jedi comic books, early on a master explains about balance. Anger can be useful, he says, it can purge like fire, but anger alone is dark.

I try and think of this when playing, i try a serve the ballance, doing good for the most people and saving my emotions for my enemies. example, without spoiling too much, you faced with letting someone kill a sith in revenge, I said no as it severed no purpose, then the person explains it is a duty to their people and would ruin their families good work if they did not, so i let the person use their anger as it was not just blind anger but mixed with responsibility.

I do think the consloure has the most potential for a grey Jedi play through, the knight seamed more suited to the Anakin dark Jedi route, I did some pretty nasty things with him and let his emotions control him, but in the end, once his mission was complete is trying to come back to the light.

Just my opionon anyay. have fun :)

My advice around creating a grey Jedi is to decide ahead of time how your character reacts in certain situations - and allow for change as you progress and develop. This is what I did with my Sorcerer, deciding what her motivations and temperment would be rather than trying to hit a certain number of good an evil responses. The main things to plan for ahead of time will be:

• Is your character usually merciful to their enemies?
  • Is your character especially sympathetic to others' emotions?
  • Does your character believe in sacrificing civilians' safety if it means a victory for the Republic?
  • Is there something from your (head canon) past that will affect their choices? Some sort of taboo (i.e. something that will affect their dealings with aliens, criminals, people of a certain gender).

By that last one I mean it can be interesting to decide that your character, normally compassionate to enemies, will not play nice with anyone connected to the Hutt cartels. My female Inquisitor was averse to killing other women, with only a few specific exceptions that she still felt uncomfortable with.

Playing neutral can be very interesting and varied. Power-hungry types can still be gracious to those around them (Palpatine). Doers of good can be stern and unyielding (Mace Windu).

Edited by Luminous_Being