No Cross Realm LFG tool please!

MUFanatic

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should have been more specific. A same server lfg tool (other than the sad one now) or fp queue, and server merges.

we need a free server transfer immediately not merge,

or at least a x-server ops(raid) lfg right now.

You clearly did not read what I said and clipping out what you need to TRY to prove a feeble point.
I quoted that post of yours in full... how is that "clipping out" anything?

You said that people don't do that... I'm saying that they are indeed doing that, and since they're sitting there without finding that last person for their group they want a better system.

Exactly what from that post do you think I didn't read?

To those saying that the tool isn't responsible for player's actions need to study psychology a little.
I've studied psychology a little. I still say it's not responsible for the player's actions.

Removing the sense of community will reduce perceived and real consequences for going against the norm.
The tool doesn't do that; there aren't any "real consequences" for going against the norm with or without the tool.

Go to 4chan and see how anonymity makes their community.
The people on 4chan are totally anonymous; so are people who play in swtor, with or without the tool.

I quoted that post of yours in full... how is that "clipping out" anything?

You said that people don't do that... I'm saying that they are indeed doing that, and since they're sitting there without finding that last person for their group they want a better system.

Exactly what from that post do you think I didn't read?

My apologies I mis-spoke. You missed a major part of the conversation with that guy I'll enlighten you.

What you're not understanding is you can not have to have a fully automated system AND not spam General chat with LFG <flashpoint>. If there is a list of players when you select your flashpoint or heroic quest that is available showing their class/role/levels you can contact them or send an invite with a popup: "<player> wishes to invite you for <flashpoint/heroic quest>" ACCEPT REJECT.

No need to spam nothing you pick your group from an available list and go. When you do this your group now appears in the group list stating what flashpoint/heroic quest you indicated and others can send a request to join your group or contact the party leader directly to inquire about whatever.

I would like to point out that the game CURRENTLY has a system basically identical to this. You flag yourself LFG and type your role in the comment and the list itself shows ur class and level. Heck you can even kinda say what u want to group for. But nobody uses it.

The problem is that once you look into lfg and see the 8 dps and no healer or tank, people tend to get very discouraged about it. And unless you sit there and refresh it constantly (essentially manually updating the queue) you are likely to miss someone who just logs on, flags himself for a few minutes, then logs off.

This is not a problem with the system but people. Just as they would be in queue waiting for a healer they could invite the people and wait for a healer to join but they don't want to do that do they?

What I'd like to point out though the game has a system similar but not identical to this. It's an EXTREMELY crude version that does not search by flashpoints or heroic quests to give a list of players OR groups currently looking for groups or members for that specific flashpoint or heroic group only those flagged for LFG. And IF they edited the default comment of LFG.

The other thing is a cross server LFG will NOT help those looking for heroic quests.

Edited by DarthKhaos

Absolutely no to cross-server LFG.

1. It removes consequences and lets people get away with things they would not normally do.

On the internet, people are more obnoxious than in real life because the anonymity of the internet protects them. They would never dare act like this in real life because the consequences that they would get would act as a deterrent.

Similarly, by implementing cross-server LFG, you remove the consequences. People can be verbally abusive, nasty, steal loot for their companion or off spec, and do all sorts of negative things because they can get away with it.

But before LFD was introduced in WoW, nobody would take tanking loot from me while I was tanking. Everyone would pass it to me. This is because reputation does matter on a server, and if you tried something like that, you would get a bad rep and if it gets bad enough, you have to reroll.

After LFD was introduced, I noticed them doing stuff like steal loot for their off spec more often, and then leave the dungeon. I have also seen the reverse where tanks take dps loot for the last boss then bail.

2. It is merely a bandaid and not addressing the real problem.

The real problem is the low population of the server. Asking for cross server LFD is not the solution. The solution is to fix the low populations. Once that is fixed, there will be no need for cross server LFD.

I will only support single server LFD that doesn't port you instantly to the dungeon. Automating the LFG process in this manner would benefit everyone greatly. This way I don't need to be on the republic fleet in order to get a group. I can continue questing on another planet, and once I get a group, then I fly to the republic fleet.

Single server LFG that doesn't port you would be a great feature.

Edited by ConradLionhart

Wrong. It drastically speeds it up because there are more people in queue than would be LFG without. A lot of people, msyelf included, do not want to sit and spam LFG while doing NOTHING.

That was a comparison of x-server and single server lfg tools, obviously x-server is is faster than no tool, the point I was trying to make is once you have a certain amount of players looking for a group increasing the number of players available doesn't decrease wait times, the rate of groups starting increases by the same amount as the length of the que increasing meaning the same average wait time.

My guess would be that in practice x-server would be faster than single server, even with full servers because I doubt a single server would have the required critical mass, especially at lower level flashpoints, but bioware doesn't need to implement a full x-server solution to get all of the benefits, something that prioritizes local players when forming groups could probably be implemented with little change in que time's, giving all the benefits of a x-server system while also going some way to address the legitimate concerns of the people opposed to it

That was a comparison of x-server and single server lfg tools, obviously x-server is is faster than no tool, the point I was trying to make is once you have a certain amount of players looking for a group increasing the number of players available doesn't decrease wait times, the rate of groups starting increases by the same amount as the length of the que increasing meaning the same average wait time.

My guess would be that in practice x-server would be faster than single server, even with full servers because I doubt a single server would have the required critical mass, especially at lower level flashpoints, but bioware doesn't need to implement a full x-server solution to get all of the benefits, something that prioritizes local players when forming groups could probably be implemented with little change in que time's, giving all the benefits of a x-server system while also going some way to address the legitimate concerns of the people opposed to it

Exactly, this is what my feeling tells me as well. Once a certain critical mass is reached, no gain will be had from creating a cross server variant versus a single server variant.

Just because Rift couldn't get single server to work, doesn't mean TOR can't. They need to consolidate servers and, as another poster suggested, make server transfers easilly accessible for it to work though.

One downside this game has though is that of all 24 specs, 18 are DPS, 3 are healer and 3 are tank. While they need only 2 DPS for each flashpoint group. So people need to be the tank/healer spec more often than the other specs if necessary to even make any automated queue system work, be it single or cross server. Otherwise you get a situation where a healer/tank can get 6 groups before a DPS gets even 1. This is why I also say they need multi-spec before they go into creating any queue type.

No matter how big the queue group gets, the fact that you need the same amount of healers and tanks as you do DPS for each group makes the looking for a group harder than in other games.

What if BW did the smart thing and created one huge server that everyone played on? I would support single server in this case! :D

Otherwise, why not utilize the opportunity to group with anyone and everyone playing SW at the time you are on?

Silly arguments against cross server LFG tools. No verifiable evidence of any destructive outcomes. Just conjecture and "urban myths".

I have two level 50's on a dead server. A level 40 there also.

Re-rolled on fatman and swiftsure - both of those characters are above 40. Now swiftsure is sucking due to the oceanic servers being opened. I've finished hoth five times. That's torture.

I have NOT done all flashpoints yet. I CANNOT get a group, unless I want to run esseles or manda (for some reason these are always popular).

After leveling, grinding valor the old-fashoined way, then re-rolling - I'm all but totally burned out on this game. I wouldn't be, but for my home server dying and bioware essentially forcing me to start over just to play their damned supergame of the century.

Think about how many hours I've spent in this game and don't even know what the inside of red reaper or colicoid looks like.

Screw your MMO value system - if you don't like pugging for a flashpoint, then join a huge PVE coop singleplayer gaming guild (my biased interpretation of PVE "progression" guilds). I joined for pvp, but in order to level to 50, exp and gear needs to be properly padded from time to time with flashpoints.

My apologies I mis-spoke. You missed a major part of the conversation with that guy I'll enlighten you.
No, I caught that. I disagreed with it in another post; i think that was in this thread.

What I'd like to point out though the game has a system similar but not identical to this. It's an EXTREMELY crude version that does not search by flashpoints or heroic quests to give a list of players OR groups currently looking for groups or members for that specific flashpoint or heroic group only those flagged for LFG. And IF they edited the default comment of LFG.

The other thing is a cross server LFG will NOT help those looking for heroic quests.

the sort of tool that you're talking about existed in many other games; in all of those games, spamming general chat (either in a player hub, or the zone you wanted a group in) for a group was the only useful way to get a group, because virtually noone is willing to use such a clunky "tool".

In wow, it was much faster pre-lfd to spam dalaran for groups than it was to flag yourself as lfg using that tool. In EQ, it was much faster to go to the zone and spam ooc than it was to flag yourself lfg.

The system you're talking about is useless; if people want to put together a pug group in any reasonable amount of time, they have to spam, otherwise they're simply not going to find people.

Edited by ferroz

The sorriest excuse for a LFG tool I have ever experienced. I used it exclusively since the beginning, but now no longer even bother with it. Waste of time and effort. BW clearly had nothing in mind and just threw that together so no one could say they didn't have one. Sad.

Anyone who brings this up has either never used it, or never had to rely upon it to get fp groups.

What if BW did the smart thing and created one huge server that everyone played on? I would support single server in this case! :D

Otherwise, why not utilize the opportunity to group with anyone and everyone playing SW at the time you are on?

Silly arguments against cross server LFG tools. No verifiable evidence of any destructive outcomes. Just conjecture and "urban myths".

It's internet group-think, it comes from the WoW-hate cult and its amazing ability to radiate its thoughts to the unthinking through catch phrases. Politicians use the same technique, gullible people will start to think whatever you tell them to think if you drive the thought home hard enough, repeat the phrase constantly and never deviate from topic.

Nevertheless, my heart goes out to those who get all excited to log on and get something going only to log off two hours later with an empty feeling. I recommend using the same technique, come up with a catch phrase and abuse it in every dialogue, every channel available to you. Bioware may take notice of you at some point, or you can lead with your money and let EA take notice before Bioware does.

I've been playing mmos for a long time, and nothing's like having that closed server community feel.

I know the perks to having cross server LFG and whatnot, but honestly it kills the community and i really wish people could understand that.

Make friends with the people on your server =/

i do understand this is an mmo... there has to be a sense that you're playing with other ppl, but i must join the side that dosent understand how the cross server lfg tool will kill the community.

to me, standing around the fleet for an hour or 2 spamming lfg on general chat is gonna kill THE GAME. Without a game i don't think the community stands much of a chance of survival.

If you're afraid you might be stuck in a fp with 2 melee dps maybe some kind of filter could be included so group composition can be "controlled" a bit.

And to those afraid this might kill the community i suggest you stop using google when you wanna find something and walk down the street shouting what it is your looking for and see how much fun that is... or you might wanna try interacting with other ppl, i mean... there are actual communities out there... i dunnow, guess you might wanna check those out...

and if you dont like the lfg tool... dont use it... just dont deprive ppl of what they want simply because you dont want it. I work, i have a GF... i cant spend 2 hours online and just run a FP...

I've been playing mmos for a long time, and nothing's like having that closed server community feel.

I know the perks to having cross server LFG and whatnot, but honestly it kills the community and i really wish people could understand that.

Make friends with the people on your server =/

Not everyone who plays a MMO cares about having the "community feel" on a server. They play to have fun and have real life " community feel" concerns to deal with. A LFG tool helps those to find groups to do content they otherwise would not have the time to do. My guild in WoW for example has not lost any of it's community feel sence Blizz has added the LFG tool , mainly because we are a guild which knows real life concerns come first and we play to have fun, not to develope relationships in a MMO.

Let's just try the server first LFG first, then see if we need cross server. You're not going to change their mind until AFTER the server side LFG goes live.

Rift did it and now they have both options. Which I think is fantastic. The ability do either is a good in between.

I have actually changed my stance on this. Last few night's lvling from 45-48 i have not been able to get 1 heroic 4 group. Asked in general for anyone looking to do them not once responce for more then 4 hours.

The community excuse doesn't hold water. maybe on some servers? but i think the cross realm tool is needed if a lot of people want to get there heroics done. Only time i have been in a flash point is when its been with guild.

You can not say it will ruin the community when i haven't gotten the chance to play with anyone in the community. Just MO

I'll say it again. we NEED a cross-server LFG tool for flashpoints at the very least.

I spent over an hour trying to get a group..wasted...time. completely.

And those saying it kills server communities? get a grip...it sure doesn't. you still have a very large need for friends/guild on your own server.

I'll take a cross-server LFG tool with the risk of losing a drop I can USE to some 2yo that just wants to sell/RE/companion it over sitting for hours on end doing NOTHING because no groups are forming.

the failed logic for not wanting one astounds me.

Those who are against cross-server, or a lfg tool in general, clearly have not tried forming groups when there are 7 people TOTAL on the fleet. Aside from a 49 and 50, no one was within 5 levels of another player. I couldn't spam chat even if I wanted to (well I suppose I could but I think you get my point). This whole argument about cross-server lfg killing communities is about as well reasoned as "the sky is falling". The idea that players somehow police themselves and that if a player behaves poorly there are repercussions is more or less a myth.

As someone pointed out, if you're running a FP now and someone is either a jerk or really bad and just wanting to be carried, there's almost nothing you can do during the run. If you kick them out of the group you either have to go back and spam chat looking for someone to run a half-finished run or trying to finish it shorthanded. Sure, when you get back you can complain to everyone in the fleet, and maybe some people will listen to/care about what you have to say, but that person IS going to find more groups.

Those who are against cross-server, or a lfg tool in general, clearly have not tried forming groups when there are 7 people TOTAL on the fleet. Aside from a 49 and 50, no one was within 5 levels of another player. I couldn't spam chat even if I wanted to (well I suppose I could but I think you get my point). This whole argument about cross-server lfg killing communities is about as well reasoned as "the sky is falling". The idea that players somehow police themselves and that if a player behaves poorly there are repercussions is more or less a myth.

As someone pointed out, if you're running a FP now and someone is either a jerk or really bad and just wanting to be carried, there's almost nothing you can do during the run. If you kick them out of the group you either have to go back and spam chat looking for someone to run a half-finished run or trying to finish it shorthanded. Sure, when you get back you can complain to everyone in the fleet, and maybe some people will listen to/care about what you have to say, but that person IS going to find more groups.

exactly. Personally I think it's just the WoW-haters being stubborn because WoW was the first to use it (that I know of..and/or at least the most popular one)

the lack of intelligent reasoning for not wanting it..again...is dumbfounding