1.3 Character specific legacy perks

Iwipe

Too expensive, i will be able to afford these perks for a few characters but then i'm broke. My friends in both guilds on the other hand will not be able to afford much at all (same with 1.2 legacy unlocks, i have quite a few while they have none).

Crafting perks prices are all ok since these are moneymaking perks so in the end they will be well worth it, no complaints there.

Companion affection bonus perks needs atleast one of the devs to pick up a calculator and compare the price and affection bonuses with real ingame situations regarding gaining affection with companions. Ah hell, to be honest, with the devs having pretty exact statistics on the whole gamer populations personal economic status (you know, the "majority of players have less than one mil" thingie. You remember that one right?) keep that calculator going and keep on comparing the prices to obvious "what if'" models with reasonable assumptions of how much of these perks will be bought and by whom.

You have all the data you need to do all of this and to be honest you can do all of this with less than basic skills of

statistics, a 20$ statistics program (or even some crappy freeware), data history of how and where and by whom credits "move" and some common sense.

As it is now with our ghost town servers the only way to make credits is by doing the dailies, and i fail to see where the fun is if i have to do dailies over and over and over and over again so that i can have a bit of fun LATER.

Sure there will be transfers VERY soon and i am very happy with this but i can't help to wonder if the transfers won't bring life to GTN at all, for now i will perish the thought of unlocking future content by doing ...more dailies.

Anyways, fantastic game, no thoughts of unsubbing so far, BW got style, love new content, hate legacy perk prices for the sake of the rest of my casual guild and all others who will have to run dailies over and over so that they can play on other characters.

Edited by janne_josefsson

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bioware, let me just preface this incoming rant with a few simple laudatory paragraphs:

You have been my favorite video game developer since the days of Baldur's Gate. You have impressed me over and over again with your excellent storytelling (And yes, contrary to the general public, I actually enjoyed the ME3 ending). You have made SWTOR an amazing game (IMO much better than WoW) and you'll be getting my 15 dollars a month for the foreseeable future. To give you an idea of how much I love this game and how dedicated I am to this game, I currently sit at Legacy Level 43 with 3 level 50 characters (1 tank, 1 dps, and 1 healer) in which I run endgame content religiously.

I'm highly looking forward to the group finder thing! The extra 5 black hole comms per day is just gravy at this point. I'm also very excited about the augment tables (I'm gonna augment EVERYTHING!) and the impending server merge/transfers, I can finally get my other two level 50 toons on a different server to merge over to my legacy 43 server (making a total of 5 level 50 toons :D).

Ok, now that the praise is out of the way, I have some major problems with the legacy perks Bioware:

Character specific perks? Doesn't this defy the point of whole LEGACY thing (sorry about the caps but I felt I had to emphasize the key word)? Even if you make it per character, which I understand the argument of, why are they so damn expensive? I bought pretty much all of the legacy upgrades from 1.2, except the GTN terminal, but I didn't mind paying for them because those upgrades was across all my toons.

This legacy system is in place to help us as we roll alts, at this point I'm not even sure if I want to do that anymore. I have a few level 10 alts just sitting there because I wanted to wait for 1.3 and get some of those legacy perks before I level, but I guess I'm changing my mind. As of right now I can only see myself buying the improved speeder, and unless you lower the price on everything else or make it legacy wide, I'm saving all my credits for augments.

For games like this it's important to reward players, that's what keeps us from playing. Bioware, idk if ur smoking something, but putting a legacy level requirement for the ABILITY to purchase a perk IS NOT A REWARD! You know what we call that? A grind! For example, why would you make a player reach level 30, and on top of that make him/her pay 300k credits for Advanced Field Repair Droid? Bioware, you do realize that most of us are not Czerka Corporation executives with billions of credits to dole away on overpriced gadgets (*Ahem* Apple)? Most of us have 1 million credits on a main toon, TOPS.

In summary:

I'm very excited about Game Update 1.3, most notably the augment tables, group finder, and impending server merger/transfer; however, the legacy perks are VERY disappointing. My perspective on the legacy perks is shared by many, and Bioware, I hope you take our concerns into consideration before rolling out 1.3. IMO the current state of these legacy perks will NOT help you keep subscribers ...

The perks definitely need to have an overhaul.

The costs for every single perk are more in line with legacy-wide unlocks than character specific...

Close to 300k for 30% xp buff multiplied by 5 because instead of a straight xp buff they decided to separate out each activity. 200k for a teleport to one daily quest area that has a shared cd with other teleports. 450k for a repair bot. 350k for a 3% increased chance to proc an augment slot on crafted gear (in the patch that makes crit crafted gear obsolete). They split everything out into multiple purchases to make it seem not so bad. And to be fair the 50k for the repair bot on a 1 hr cd is good enough no need to buy the other ranks really.

just taking what I consider the bare essentials for a level 50: 200k daily hub port, 200k field respec, 50k repair bot, 350k for crit crafting.... that's 800,000 credits spent on one character... honestly if they think that's reasonable to spend on single character I shudder to imagine what they think we'd be willing to pay for global unlocks of these perks.

Edited by Thorvath

Yeah, I think the prices for these legacy perks are way too expensive for just one character. if it was legacy wide, then it would be fine but for these perks being character specific, the prices should get a 75% reduction for most of them.

The speeder perks grant the ability automatically when you purchase them, no trainer necessary.

As for costs and benefits, I appreciate the constructive and comprehensive feedback. I'm re-evaluating the numbers and seeing what can change (for example, I'm dropping costs on the companion affection perks and boosting the modifiers). Prices and benefits are not set in stone at this point, so thanks for helping test and evaluate them!

I hope you drastically reduce the cost of the benefits, I'd hate to see a system that people put so much work into become something that less then 1% of the players use.

For me I can seen 1 maybe 2 that I would unlock. The others I wouldn't invest 1,000 credits in.

The space XP boosts are the least worth it. i have tested up to the 3rd boost as my legacy lvl is only 15. There is not mych use in it, the boosts should be as follows:

level 1 - 6%

level 2 - 8%

Level 3 - 10%

level 4 - 12%

level 5 - 14%

total from all 5 levels should be 50% imo

We get it.. yes these are not meant to be available to everyone and are perks...

BUT

They should be LEGACY WIDE perks (IE: Not specific Characters) - This goes against "Legacy" market label

They should NOT be a money sink for somewhat crappy return on investment

They should be mostly LEVEL BASED (Make leveling Legacy have some value - Eliminate credit options)

They should COST LESS as a whole (Free comes to mind), but Legacy Wide for same cost is fair.

Doing this encourages Credit Farming and purchasing of credits offline since most people are already going to be broke from trying to purchase all the MK6 and Augments after all materials dry up (More than today dried up I mean).

Edited by dscount

Is the legacy of crafting truly only increasing the chance of getting an augment slot in items or is it what it sounded like in live and is actually an increase to the chance to crit when crafting or doing the various crew skill missions? If it is only for augment slots then it needs to be changed to effecting the chance to crit with all crew skill activities (missions, gathering, and crafting).

Costs

For me the legacy system was a huge discouragement for all optional perks - costing huge amounts of money, that i don't have and for the time being have no idea how to gain more. Like I got the 320k for pvp on the PTS and then ran into the problem of spending them for other perks just to see their usefulness, or spend them on a SINGLE(!) char or a limited boost or ...

I have 3x 50's now a legacy level 29 and I can hardly pay a single "other" perk. Now comes character perks along with an even deeper money sink. While it may seem that some do have more money than is good for the economy and you may want to drain that money from the players I feel left behind.

I got 6 chars I am playing, I would like to have some XP boost, for some i can't stand doing the same quests over, yet the space game is not much fun either. Either 2x XP bosts or a mailbox.

I would like to see an option to buy legacy wide character perks or make them free, once you have purchased 2 or 4 of those.

i think the social points (and datacron / codex entries) should carry over, be legacy wide.

Edited by alrun

I have 1 lvl50 and multiple alts around the 20-40 range and the pricing of the current legacy stuff is far too high. Unfortuneately my pts transfer was ignored in favour of someone elses clone army so I cant test or see what the new stuff is like but going by the current crop its just a glorified money sink that seems to be getting made worse by adding in a per character aspect.

Grinding for cash has never been fun, never has been and never will be! This is true for both real life and games perhaps working for bioware things are different but for the vast majority of us grinding does not = fun.

Games are meant to be fun and the need to grind detracts from that fun factor. My impression was that the legacy system would reward people for playing more than one character. However the grim reality is that unless you grind out cash on your highest level possible you wont be able to afford any of the so called perks for the characters that would be using them. And in doing so makes the whole purpose of buying the thing for your lower levels pointless as you're too busy trying to grind cash for them.

I'd call it a pointless money sink but some of the things I can see having some use but they're still out of the reasonable range of those of us who don't or can't play 24/7.

Lets take a look at the buy-able legacy advantages as of 13.06. on the PTS

GLOBAL

Ship

Droid(1M), Mailbox(0,5M), Op/PvP Dummy (0,5/0,5M), global GTN (5M) == 7.5M

Travel

Fleet(0,1/0,2/0,3), Quick (0,1/0,2/0.3), Rocket (2M, 1M, 1M) == 4,6 M

---------

12,1M total

To unlock all other legacy feats you need to pay a total of 12.1M and unlock those for all your characters.

Perks

XP

Cass I (10k, 20k, 30k, 40k, 50k) 150k total: space,explore (+2%, +4%, +6%, +8%, +10%) 30% total

class II (20k, 30k, 50k, 75k, 100k) 275k total; class mision, FP, Warzone (+2%, +4%, +6%, +8%, +10%) 30% total

2x 150k + 3x 275k = 850k

travel

Capitol world - outlaws den - ship - Black hole (20k, 50k, 50k, 200k) -- 320k total

Speeder at 10< 25, 30 < 40, 40<50 (40k, 175k, 250k) 465k total

Companion

Leg. of Altruism(gift) / Persuasion(quest) (25k, 75k, 150k) 250k total (+5%, +5%, +5%) 15% total

crafting (50k. 100k, 200k) 350k / (+1%. +1%. +1%) +3%total

junk (10k, 50k ) 60k total

2x250k+350k+60k=910k

Convenience

repair (50k, 150k, 300k) 500k

mail (20k, 20k, 20k) 60k

field respec 20k

If you buy all Character perks this sums up to

850k (XP) + 785k (travel) + 910k (comp) + 580k (conv) == 3,125 k = 3.125M

Nearly one quarter of the total global unlocks. So after buying all perks for at least 4 characters the costs of the perks will exceed the global unlocks.

I was interested in the crit crafting perk but was surprised by the costs, so I did a little cost analysis. I'm assuming here that the perk is only for crafting items with augments (as its description suggests), and that each perk simply adds an additional 1% chance to crit (e.g., if Kira has a 20% chance to crit now, when I buy the perk she'll have a 21% chance).

Let's say I buy the first tier of the perk for 50K. I will now get, on average, an extra 1 crit for every 100 items I craft (1%, or 0.01, increase). Let's assume for simplicity that every crit item I make can be sold for the same price, X credits, on the GTN. In order for this 1% increase to pay me back for the 50K I spent on the perk, I will need to craft, on average, Y=50,000/(0.01*X) items. For example, if I can sell the crit items for 50K credits on the GTN (X=50,000), after crafting the item 100 times, the 1% increase will have given me 1 extra augmented item that I can sell for 50K to earn back the cost of the perk: Y = 50,000/(0.01*50,000) = 100.

Now that I already have the 1% increase perk, should I spend 100K to buy an additional 1% increase? Since the cost for an additional 1% is twice as much as the cost for the first 1%, I will have to craft twice as many items (Y=100,000*100/X) in order to justify the cost of the perk. For my example, that means I'll have to craft 200 items. The same applies for the last tier of the perk: assuming I already have the first two tiers, in order to justify spending 200K on the perk for an additional 1%, I will need to craft Y=200,000*100/X items. For my example (where X=50K), that means I'll have to craft 400 items.

Maybe crafting 400 items before getting a return on your investment doesn't seem so bad in the grand scheme of things, or maybe you're crafting to give yourself items and you don't care about the money. But that 400 number assumes that you can sell the augmented items for 50K. Given the 1.3 changes allowing augments to be applied to existing items, I expect the value of "naturally" augmented items to go down. If you can only sell the item for 10K, for example, you will need to craft 500 to justify the cost of the first tier perk, and 2000 items to justify the cost of the third tier.

I'm sure there are other people on this forum who are more serious crafters than I am, and who know more about the GTN than I do. What do you think about these costs for the perk?

Currently, I think all the legacy unlocks reach their max at Legacy level 25. Why not keep the pricing the same (or slightly lower, they do seem a bit expensive to me, though I haven't tested them) for people under Legacy 25, and then start giving discounts to people with higher Legacy levels? After all, isn't this supposed to reward people who have played a lot?

I had already hit legacy level 25 before Legacy was implemented. I'm now at about Legacy level 37. But I haven't gotten a majority of the perks because they're so expensive. So, its not really rewarding me.

I gotta say that I didn't see one single thing in the Legacy perk tree that I would spend my money on. This branch in the legacy tree is more or less completely useless for someone who's already lvl 50. Ok, the fast travel could occasionally be useful but I guess thats it.

C'mon BW surely you could do better than this? I really hope that you can add some personal character traits in the future that actually feels useful. Doesn't have to be a big boost to the character but something small that further advance your single character in some way.

As it is now with these perks it's even useless as a money dump since there's nothing worth buying.

My Bounty Hunter is level 25 and she has the speeder piloting training already.

But if i want to buy the improved speeder piloting II, i will need to spent an additional 40k for I. But i already paid 25k that are included in the 40k.

I think speeder piloting should be bought independently.

Maybe the Perk could be adjusted to "Requires 40k and Legacy level 10 OR Speeder Piloting I"

That way people who did buy the skill at 25 are not put behind and they will have no benefit of buying a level 10 skill.

Edited by alrun
idea to change the perk

Hopefully the Priority Transports will lose the shared cooldown and the credit costs to unlock. Having them unlock at appropriate, reasonable Legacy levels seems fair. lolz @ BioWare making simply quality-of-life "perks" some type of featured unlock.

Reminds me of when during the Guild Summit they announced we could use mounts in spaceports and everyone cheered. ***, why have we all lowered our expectations so much?

15 pages of responses so I didn't get to read every one, so in case no one supplied the info,

The first rank of the repair bot is indeed a 1 hour Cooldown

At Rank 2 he moves to 45 minute cooldown.

He also sells those social item glitter bombs, what I now can't remember was did he sell them at rank one, or only when I upgraded him to rank 2.

I tend to think most of these rewards should be a cost X amount of credits or unlocked for free at X Legacy Rank.

I am Legacy level 26 and have very few legacy perks because I find them too expensive. Most of my money goes into collecting mounts and pets, I can't afford to buy Legacy Perks for levels I earned as well.

I really wish there were perks that you just unlocked by earning legacy levels, especially after 25, since there is currently nothing. Shouldn't earning so much legacy alone be enough to earn some sort of perk? The massive amounts of credits on top of it is just ridiculous. They don't feel like perks, just like you unlocked a store. Being lvl 50 legacy currently means basically zilch, especially if you're poor or would rather spend credits on one of the other numerous money-sinks in this game. I think many of the perks are really neat; I just feel like earning legacy lvls doesn't feel like much of an achievement when you know it will be ages before you can afford anything cool (particularly for those of us who don't pour hours into operations, where I suspect the people who can afford things are making much of their money).

The speeder perks grant the ability automatically when you purchase them, no trainer necessary.

As for costs and benefits, I appreciate the constructive and comprehensive feedback. I'm re-evaluating the numbers and seeing what can change (for example, I'm dropping costs on the companion affection perks and boosting the modifiers). Prices and benefits are not set in stone at this point, so thanks for helping test and evaluate them!

I noticed the price drop and increase in modifiers for the Companion affection perks. 90k for a 30% boost seems more spot on - I'd definitely consider buying them now.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the experience modifiers feel too underwhelming.

Also, the Improved Space Mission Experience is currently underwhelmingly unrewarding.

I was at one point considering to level my lvl 36 operative doing space missions/class missions alone.

Doing all the level relevant space missions/dailies nets you about 30-40k experience a day.

Consider that you need about 250k experience per level (and rising), that 30% boost to space experience isn't going to get me any where any time soon...

So it's kinda missing the point of 'allowing me to choose my leveling style'.