*** is the point with all the half-naked gear?

Chuhu

Well, I for one, will certainly keep YOUR immersion at the top of my mind when gearing MY character. Personally, I find the skimpy stuff no more immersion-breaking than jedi in heavy armor or tauntauns on Tattooine.

You forgot Treek on Fleet. And people... riding... RIDING... Rancors. But that last isn't technically ingame. Yet.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Compare SW to real world, NO

We can just compare the game to the movie. No, movie have some Jedi, Sith or Guardian, running on the battlefield in bikini.

The game should stay as close to the movie as they can. Simple

Edit: maybe Disney get some ideas from this game.:cool:

Edited by IngeDanielsen

We can just compare the game to the movie. No, movie have some Jedi, Sith or Guardian, running on the battlefield in bikini.

Pray tell, which movie depicts the Star Wars universe at the time of The Old Republic?

This right here is exactly what is the whole conclusion on this subject. Skimpy outfits don't belong on a battlefield. A person running around with half a shirt, half leg pants or no pants fighting an enemy that has double layer heavy armor on? Yah, isn't quite "immersive". I don't like the skimpy outfits.

Hmmm, in the original three movies, do you happen to recall what Leia was wearing when she killed Jabba the Hut? And did Luke, Han, Obiwan or Yoda wear armor? Heck, Chewbacca ran around almost naked. Even Darth Vader was wearing something that was more a prosthetic than an armor. Yes, we have Bobba Fett in armor, and stormtroopers in armor. But lots of people who were not.

This is a game about a fictional universe where Jedi go into battle wearing mere robes. Armor, against a light saber? Why weigh yourself down with useless gear like that ? Use the force. Or not! You can choose either options even if you want to stay "true to the lore", but get used to other people choosing something different.

But this took place before the movies. Maybe they learned something from the "swimsuit soldier" experiment during the time of the Old Republic and that's why you no longer see it in the future.

Or maybe... just maybe we didn't see everything in the galaxy in those movies. I don't recall seeing Ilum, Makeb, Czerka, Voss, Taris, Belsavis, Tython, Drommund Kaas, Korriban, or even Corellia in the movies.

So, tell me. When is the last time you saw our soldiers wear bikinis and swimsuits on the battlefield?

When was the last time you saw the US army fighting with lightsabers? Or using their minds to create localized earthquakes? Or summon lighting from the sky? Or ride a hovercar into battle? Yeah, skimpy gear is clearly the most unrealistic part of this universe... :rolleyes:

So, tell me. When is the last time you saw our soldiers wear bikinis and swimsuits on the battlefield?

When was the last time you saw our soldiers....

- Conquer a firearm-wielding enemy with a sword.

- Use firearms with a range of 10m.

- Heal with space magic.

- Kill with space magic.

- Stun with space magic.

- Block energy weapons with swords.

- Not use amor or air power when massively superior armor and air power are available.

- Get completely blocked by a 4 foot high wall.

- Build drones with wheels and half an inch of ground clearance.

- Wear capes or bathrobes into battle.

- Build rocket/jet powered vehicles with no armor, windscreens, or even seats.

- Encounter enemies who are oblivious to their presence.

- Resurrect the dead.

- Ride beasts into battle.

and so on...

You forgot Treek on Fleet. And people... riding... RIDING... Rancors. But that last isn't technically ingame. Yet.

Oh, that one's ok. If I see one of those, I'll think "Oh, interesting, there goes a Rancor with its next meal balancing on its back. I'm sure probably just after it's run out of sight will be when it tips it off and eats it.":)

Personally, more seriously, I tend to think people's right to wear what they like on their own avatar's body is more important than my "right" to decide what I'd like to see worn on other people's bodies. As an adult without children it wouldn't bother me in the least if Bioware decided the route to more Cartel coins was to shove the rating up to 18 and market

The argument about immersion holds *some* weight- but, no, still not enough. To a certain extent that's class dependent. A Jedi or Sith's defensive techniques are probably better served by agility and the Force, than by wearing a lot of ironmongery, for instance.

When was the last time you saw our soldiers....

- Conquer a firearm-wielding enemy with a sword.

- Use firearms with a range of 10m.

- Heal with space magic.

- Kill with space magic.

- Stun with space magic.

- Block energy weapons with swords.

- Not use amor or air power when massively superior armor and air power are available.

- Get completely blocked by a 4 foot high wall.

- Build drones with wheels and half an inch of ground clearance.

- Wear capes or bathrobes into battle.

- Build rocket/jet powered vehicles with no armor, windscreens, or even seats.

- Encounter enemies who are oblivious to their presence.

- Resurrect the dead.

- Ride beasts into battle.

and so on...

Last week on CNN...I think...maybe it was MSNBC...point is, they weren't wearing bikinis, so there!

As a female, i honestly don't mind. In all honestly i tend to wear the less-armored outfits in the game. Why? Because they look cool to me. And as an RP-er, it opens up some more paths.

From a developers standpoint, its adding a mix into the game to please people who want "skimpy" clothing and adding in equally foot-ball-like bulky armor.

For some strange reason people have been complaining alot about this and to each their own.

But let's put it this way:

Are you forced to wear it? NOPE.

Are you forced to like it? NOPE.

You have a right to voice your opinion, i'm not denying that, i'm just saying, look at it from both sides. From observations, i get a sense there is a majority of people who don't mind what outfits are in the game.

I personally love some of the "skimpy" stuff they have added in. Not too exposed as the dancer stuff, and not too overly armored to look like a walking tank (unattractive IMO) (referring to Exposed Extrovert).

Don't take away what alot of other people find enjoyable.

And you see nothing antagonistic about that urge? When I go to the beach, I expect to see bikinis. When I go to the mall or a restaurant, I expect to see shirts and shoes. If I were to go to a battlefield, the last thing I'd expect to see some shoeless chick in her underwear...it's about immersion and objects in our environment can easily break that immersion.

I haven't actually rolled the character. But I do get annoyed when people attempt to dictate what other players should wear. In this case, it's about it being unrealistic wearing a bikini on a battlefield. Which could be seen as a valid point. If this was real, rather than a game. In the end, the right for us to dress our characters however we want trumps all other views.

I haven't actually rolled the character. But I do get annoyed when people attempt to dictate what other players should wear. In this case, it's about it being unrealistic wearing a bikini on a battlefield. Which could be seen as a valid point. If this was real, rather than a game. In the end, the right for us to dress our characters however we want trumps all other views.

This one would probably agree.

Edit: maybe Disney get some ideas from this game.:cool:

This game takes place 3000 years offset from the movies. Also, some of the skimpy sets you are complaining about are from the expanded universe.