This is why I don't bother with ranked this season

Lundorff

https://i.imgur.com/z55gdkV.jpg

When we finally get a match without blatant wintrading or unbalanced teams, something like the above happens. There is simply no way anyone can carry a match like that - especially on a Rage jugg - and the whole point of ranked becomes utterly pointless.

Ranked is casual nonsense and has been so for quite a while, and I would actually be "okay" with this due to population, but it can not affect rating this way. Yes I care about rating -- at least to the degree that is a fun way to measure and better myself. If the goal is to keep ranked casual friendly e.g. no gear requirements or similar, then this ELO-system has to change. I don't care if it becomes a point system, or brackets or something different, but it is much too frustrating for those of us who play legit and actually try.

6.0 is the absolutely last hope for me. Unless this nonsense is radically changed then I will finally be gone. Objectively speaking that would probably better for my mental state :D

Side-note: the match just prior to this featured a Merc that literally died within 15 seconds... oh and he even had a healer...

When we finally get a match without blatant wintrading or unbalanced teams, something like the above happens. There is simply no way anyone can carry a match like that - especially on a Rage jugg - and the whole point of ranked becomes utterly pointless.

Ranked is casual nonsense and has been so for quite a while, and I would actually be "okay" with this due to population, but it can not affect rating this way. Yes I care about rating -- at least to the degree that is a fun way to measure and better myself. If the goal is to keep ranked casual friendly e.g. no gear requirements or similar, then this ELO-system has to change. I don't care if it becomes a point system, or brackets or something different, but it is much too frustrating for those of us who play legit and actually try.

6.0 is the absolutely last hope for me. Unless this nonsense is radically changed then I will finally be gone. Objectively speaking that would probably better for my mental state :D

Side-note: the match just prior to this featured a Merc that literally died within 15 seconds... oh and he even had a healer...

I can understand your frustration, but so far your rating is ok and you should keep trying as your luck might improve.... You know rating is not a real picture of your skill so you shouldn't be upset about it. Solo ranked should reflect solo performance in some way, but man, we had 10 seasons with almost zero changes. What are the odds that 6.0 will change anything ?

I can understand your frustration, but so far your rating is ok and you should keep trying as your luck might improve....

Luck. That is the operative word isn't? Luck. It shouldn't be about luck or at least it should be a very small component. You depend on luck, you end up on the drift... no fuel, no prospects. That ain't me.

You know rating is not a real picture of your skill so you shouldn't be upset about it.

Yes you often write that, and if that is your perspective that is totally fine. For me rating does matter. Not as something to brag about - I don't even play my "gold"-jugg - but as a crude indicator for my own success or failure. But with this many circumstances out of my control I can no longer use it, and playing ranked become mostly pointless.

Welcome to my world :D

I think I had that Merc in my team a few matches ago, he did like 2/3 less damage than me. In another match it was 3d 1h match and we won cause I had 360k protection as dps cause they said our heal is bad. We won ofc, thanks to guard and me pushing of and ccing their heal nonstop. Funny thing is that Im getting such matches at 1080 rating.

Luck. That is the operative word isn't? Luck. It shouldn't be about luck or at least it should be a very small component. You depend on luck, you end up on the drift... no fuel, no prospects. That ain't me.

Yes you often write that, and if that is your perspective that is totally fine. For me rating does matter. Not as something to brag about - I don't even play my "gold"-jugg - but as a crude indicator for my own success or failure. But with this many circumstances out of my control I can no longer use it, and playing ranked become mostly pointless.

Yes, luck... you need luck in SR as much as you need skill. How much does luck weigh vs skill, I don't know, but in a que system that puts you in a team with total randoms luck matters. If you get the same bot 8 times in a row and lose every time the rating you will have after those will be reflective of your skill ? Highly doubtful...

If you watch these top rated people streams, you will see them lose some good chunks of their elo sometimes, but unlike some people(like me for example) they stop queing and play on a differnet char or in some other cases if the elo loss is too much for them, they delete and roll another alt. Simple as that...

I hit the que button like mad sometimes because I'd rather have the furious weapon set purchased with tokens than a meaningless flair.

dont play arenas - problem solved.

Happy to die 20 times for those jugs and dont allow them to take point = my win.

Arenas might have sence, if ANY hit kills. So you just dance around who does this first. Or power of hit depends on something like how fast u can click mouse - can u do 100 clicks in 5 seconds or not.

Current "just press btn" when power is random-computer-depended has no sense. It measures nothing except "u was lucky to make 3 crits".

Edited by alexzk

Happy to die 20 times for those jugs and dont allow them to take point = my win.

Arenas might have sence, if ANY hit kills. So you just dance around who does this first. Or power of hit depends on something like how fast u can click mouse - can u do 100 clicks in 5 seconds or not.

Current "just press btn" when power is random-computer-depended has no sense. It measures nothing except "u was lucky to make 3 crits".

Are you okay? Do you need a doctor? Or an exorcist?

... they stop queing and play on a different char or in some other cases if the elo loss is too much for them, they delete and roll another alt. Simple as that...

Oh I did that dance back in season 9, but it isn't really possible right now. At least it is much, much harder and frankly I can not be bothered playing "spreadsheet-elo-friend-list"-simulator.

i have no idea what point you are trying to make...

he is an antiranked person. basically he said dont play ranked because a win is decided by higher ping and rng crits.

he also said earlier no to expertise because he didnt want to carry around another set of gear. (I dont need to explain why I included that)

as for the topic at hand..... the rng of the queue in 2019 is pointless to overcome. it no longer relays a skill value because the only people who end up on top 1) wintrade or 2) play the queue so intensely that it stops being fun the 2 fights you do a day.

and lets look at this realisticly for once can we? if you run around with S-1 all star title, does anyone actually care? good for you, once upon a time you got top 3 in a meta long gone and dead. I have seen s-1s get globald nonstop. not impressed.

the last thing I want to point out is the rewards are a grind. lets suppose you got top 3... you barely get in token enough to buy a gear box. lets suppose you get gold. you barely get enough to buy crystals, and anything lower than gold is pretty much worthless. 2019 ranked is not a rating tier reward system. its a grind, whoever queued the most gets the most rewards.

Edited by Seterade

It hasn't mattered for so long now, they're not comfortable with shaking up the meta or reacting to forum feedback (well, the good stuff). They're not attempting any new earth shattering changes to how they approach ranked. They've not even added map selection.

While I don't envy them for having to deal with the dregs of the pvp community, baseless complaints, mounting complaints of lack of class balance (which would throw it off elsewhere ingame) and being stretched for resources, I can't say they aren't in a pretty good position to AT LEAST TRY SOMETHING.

if you run around with S-1 all star title, does anyone actually care?

While I agree, it does matter to those who got them. Even though it arguably didn't mean much then either.

he is an antiranked person. basically he said dont play ranked because a win is decided by higher ping and rng crits.

he also said earlier no to expertise because he didnt want to carry around another set of gear. (I dont need to explain why I included that)

Hah, nice to be remembered, or you just clicked link and checked posts ? :D

Still, I think expertise is bad move :p Been with/without in many games including this one. Btw I basically crafted my 258 doing pvp - mats & money from + cc boxes during. That extra expensive one just got from gtn.

Edited by alexzk

When you think who created current useless matchmaking will gonna make changes for 6.0 i have almost no hope for 6.0 if things go even worse that might be a positive for me. TBH when i see current macth making and see hoe they didnt even spend some time to meke it decent i dont think we can expect a decent change from this team. They will just not gonna give a **** about pvp and 6.0 ranked will be even worse. Like every season was worse than previous one.

Edited by omeru

While I agree, it does matter to those who got them. Even though it arguably didn't mean much then either.

s1 tier 1 rancor mount was, imo, the best ranked reward in the game. the Furious weapon sets were also very nice (silver for one of the seasons).

Edited by foxmob

yes, but the rancor and the weapons were buyable with ranked comms were they not?

did they have a special lock on them were unless you made top3/gold you were literaly unable to buy them from vendor for ranked comms?

I legit dont know, I was still new in 3.0 the season on furious. but the season proceeding 3.0 have all had buyable rewards without a rank lock on buying them

yes, but the rancor and the weapons were buyable with ranked comms were they not?

did they have a special lock on them were unless you made top3/gold you were literaly unable to buy them from vendor for ranked comms?

I legit dont know, I was still new in 3.0 the season on furious. but the season proceeding 3.0 have all had buyable rewards without a rank lock on buying them

You had to be the highest tier (over 1500 I believe), and they gave them to you as rewards, along with the s-1 all-star title. There was nothing to purchase. There was no top 3 for season one either. They recently added the rancor and season 1 weapons to the ranked pvp vendor for a lot of tokens.

how interesting.

My first ranked season was the one with the "hot" title, (actually I think I was one season before that.. I remember being frustrated that my first season had nothing but some "crystal" set to show for it.) and the weapon case could be bought regardless of whether you made silver.

guess things have changed.

Edited by Seterade

I can understand your frustration, but so far your rating is ok and you should keep trying as your luck might improve.

Well, the problem with this for me is that the system is in dire need of a renovation so accepting it just because I personally may find some success or be "ok" in ranked isn't a good enough reason to not fuss about it.

it's crap, everyone knows it's crap, and it's their responsibility as a game designer to make it not crap. :p

You know rating is not a real picture of your skill so you shouldn't be upset about it.

imo ELO is exactly just that, it's supposed to be a real picture of your skill. ELO isn't indicating that, just as you point out which tells me that their ELO system needs gutted or fixed somehow. Which is what Lundorff seems to believe, too.

Edited by Lhancelot

Well, the problem with this for me is that the system is in dire need of a renovation so accepting it just because I personally may find some success or be "ok" in ranked isn't a good enough reason to not fuss about it.

it's crap, everyone knows it's crap, and it's their responsibility as a game designer to make it not crap. :p

imo ELO is exactly just that, it's supposed to be a real picture of your skill. ELO isn't indicating that, just as you point out which tells me that their ELO system needs gutted or fixed somehow. Which is what Lundorff seems to believe, too.

To be somewhat accurate we would need a 1v1 que... In this game it's actually a sick joke as your performance depends on other 3 random god know who's.

From Wikipedia

"The Elo[a] rating system is a method for calculating the relative skill levels of players in zero-sum games such as chess. It is named after its creator Arpad Elo, a Hungarian-American physics professor.

The Elo system was originally invented as an improved chess rating system over the previously used Harkness system, but is also used as a rating system for multiplayer competition in a number of video games,[1] association football, American football, basketball,[2] Major League Baseball, table tennis, Scrabble, board games such as Diplomacy and other games.

The difference in the ratings between two players serves as a predictor of the outcome of a match. Two players with equal ratings who play against each other are expected to score an equal number of wins. A player whose rating is 100 points greater than their opponent's is expected to score 64%; if the difference is 200 points, then the expected score for the stronger player is 76%. "

At this point it's a matter of a simple choice., Dude what do you want ? Elo or you want some good rewards at the end of the season ?

If you want good rating and nice shiny flairs you won't que all the time and if you want some good rewards you will go for it and not worry about the outcome.

Edited by DavidAtkinson

At this point it's a matter of a simple choice., Dude what do you want ? Elo or you want some good rewards at the end of the season ?

If you want good rating and nice shiny flairs you won't que all the time and if you want some good rewards you will go for it and not worry about the outcome.

I don't care about ELO and I don't care about good rewards at the end of the season.

I care about gearing all my alts in a non-grinding fashion so I can PVP with all of them and not have to worry about gear discrepancies between my toons and those I fight.