The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

I got another story:

A few weeks ago, I was doing the read reaper with a friend. I go around killing things at the entrance. When I get at low health, I yell for a heal. I get none, then I die. When I revived, I saw the healer standing doing nothing. I said "I said heal, dammit!". He says he was healing the tank (my friend tjeagle who was doing perfectly well herself, plus he was not healing anyone). So he starts ranting and being an ***, so we boot him.

I had a whole weird group yesterday. Get a pop for Hammer Station on my decently geared level 18 baby sentinel.

Tank drops straight away without a word. Lead is with the healer who says nothing throughout the FP apart from "thx a lot" right at the end. No reaction to our repeated appeals to requeue the group. Kicking healer when we don't have a tank is a bad option too, so I decide to start practicing my sentinel tanking (will come in useful in future ^^). I would like to pull out Treek, but healer already has his (terrible) Qyzen out.

Trash pulls go fine (2nd DPS initially prefers to concentrate on the strong mobs but I have enough times to deal with the weak mobs) and we make the first boss ok. I engage and...no heals or cleanses (ok SM but when sentinel tanking and getting no heals it still hurts). Boss is melting but I am melting faster. This is never going to work. Then amazingly I do get some heals and Qyzen a actually becomes useful and takes over for about 5 seconds before dying. Boss goes down with me on 96 hp, medpacks and cd's long since used...

Sentinel pants dropped and are won by the slinger...after I say something,he offers to trade them to me, opens a trade window and.............nothing happens for about 30s, then a green blaster appears...I give up end the trade and head of. He asks me if I don't want the gear but all I care about now is getting though this ASAP (I'm going to assume it was an honest mistake, but I really didn't care anymore. Best part is, healer doesn't resummon Qyzen, so agreement comes out and we fly through to the final boss.

I engage and successsfully tank the boss Greek focuses the adds and healer again fails to heal me. With Treeks heals, medpack, etc I just about pull through until boss is at 3% and I go down just before.

I get deadweigrevived and no one ninjas the sentinel chest so I end up happy.

Healer says his first words (see above) and is welcomed onto my ignore list .

2k conquest points, daily done no wipes and only the one death and I'm reasonably at peace with the world again...

Edited by Fraah

we make the first boss ok. I engage and...no heals or cleanses (ok SM but when sentinel tanking and getting no heals it still hurts).

I understand the whole "healer doesn't heal" issue, but just 1 thing that is a particular pet hate of mine. People expecting healers to cleanse in SM hammer station.

Healers get cleanse at level 24

Edited by BobFredJohn

I understand the whole "healer doesn't heal" issue, but just 1 thing that is a particular pet hate of mine. People expecting healers to cleanse in SM hammer station.

Healers get cleanse at level 24

I realize I expressed this wrongly, but I wasn't expecting the healer to cleanse me but merely trying to point out that with*the stacking debuff I was melting even quicker, which would have been less of a problem if it had been removed. :p

Have had plenty of strange experiences with GF and Ops before, so I figured it's time I make my first post here.

Queue for GF, get an Athiss. It's me, a Lvl 24 Sorc, a Lvl 23 Op Healer, a Lvl 22 Sniper DPS, and a 19 Assassin Tank. We zone in, say hello, tank says nothing. No big. We get down, wait for Tank to pull. Sniper DPS pulls instead, and continues to do so for the first 3 pulls. At this point I wonder what's going on and ask the Sniper to stop pulling ahead of the Tank. Sniper replies with "if her wasn't so damn timid i would stop". Sadly, the Sniper has a valid point.

Sniper and I alternate pulling until we get to Prof. Leyshara, who goes down no problem. Tank needs on the Aim gear that drops. Sniper calls him out, tank says nothing. Next we sneak around a few adds to the Beast of Vodal Kressh. After a brief discussion about the validity of the Cave/Pond method, we pull. The "tank", as predicted, fails utterly, leaving me to tank the beast in the arch. Beast goes down, we all loot, the tank released so no ninja for him this time.

We get down to the part with the Champion Sith Disciples and suddenly our tank decides to be a tank and pulls! Except he pulls entire rooms, leaving me to try and CC some before everyone dies. At this point our Sniper has had enough and starts a votekick. I happily oblige and pull out my Khem to tank the rest. The last boss goes smoothly; healer had sense enough to throw heals at my Khem. Looted, said thanks, parted ways.

Tl;dr- fail ninja tank who didn't pull or try to tank finally mans up at the worst time possible; kicks ensue

its probably a sad commentary on my personal jadedness, but I just had a run that I found weird... becasue it was unexpectedly pleasant.

getting few last conquest points for my gunslinger by pugging flashpoints. candemimu pops, zoning in to a group of 3 people from the same guild. I make no assumptions, but just in case, I'm quietly doing my job without a peep. flashpoint is going smoothly, someone tank I think announces that we are doing bonus, I pipe up with "decorations" and then go back to mostly being quiet.

we get to the bonus, he drops rockets I watch what other eople are doing. they roll greed, so I hit greed as well and then tank needs. and I'm thinking to myself, damn it - "they did this on purpose, lulled me into thinking that they are greeding to keep deco for themselves" but say nothing.

and this is when weird, amazing thing happens. apparently, no this wasn't on purpose. tank says that they usually need on decorations, I point out that I greeded because others did, he goes, wait I was the only one that needed? and then tells me to roll and if I beat his roll, he'll trade me the deco. I do.. and he does.

we end up finishing the flashpoint in much chattier mood, another deco drops and I pass because genuinely I didn't expect to win anything at all, to have it traded to me? it just... almost never happens outside of guild only runs.

I'll say one thing, while I genuinely prefer to be polite and agreeable in groups, I'll be extra nice to members of that guild from now on :)

This is not funny or weird, and not really a groupfinder story but a half guild, half PuG run of TfB.

Here I am, with my first character to ever hit level 55, don't know my rotation very well, but eager to learn and to, finally, participate in group content.

MMO were scary for the shy solo player I was at the time, even joining a guild was a difficult decision, so operations were terrifying.

Guildmates decide to introduce me to TfB so I can get some gear. I have only ever done EV, and probably only 3 or 4 SM flashpoints, but I am not a horrible player and guildies tell me it will be fine.

Very intimidated, I read everything I can about TfB and watch videos. I'm scared but excited too : I know that particular thread so I am aware of what people don't want to see in a group.

We get in the Op. 16man, SM. I notice at least half of the group is not from the guild so I immediatly say I'm new and will do my best. No reply from the random guys except one who says "I don't care, if you screw up, I kill you".

Very encouraging.

Writhing Horror, Dread Guards go down without issue. Operator is a bit trickier and it takes me forever to locate the cores, but it's 16 man and we make it without incident (yes I was running around like a headless chicken).

We kill him and that's when Random Guy #1 starts saying he doesn't want to put up with this **** and people should learn the mechanics. As I am the only noob in the run, I feel really bad despite my guildies saying I did pretty well. No wipe, after all, and I did DPS the cores... when I found them.

We get to Kephess, and of course I get the laser and nanites, and fail. The random guy starts ranting, and someone tells him it's ok, it's SM, not destroying the towers will be ok.

I already want to quit but I figure it would be stupid since we are almost at the end. It is okay indeed, no wipe on Kephess.

Last boss goes well for phase 1, I know what to do and where to go, all is well.

Phase 2... I realize all the videos I watched are from a healer's POV and I am lost. I find my tentacle and DPS it, but we wipe shortly after.

Second try, I go straight to my tentacle... and my mouse decides to stop working and basically just makes the camera move very fast. I was a clicker at the time, so I'm completely useless there.

I can't count the number of profanities that erupted from Random #1 for the whole fight, before and after the first try.

We died again, and he quit with a "L2P NOOB" after insulting me profusely on my inability to read tactics. Everyone tries to reassure me, to tell me that they know I've read them - how would I have known about phase 1, otherwise? - and that nothing replaces experience.

I quit the run shortly after, excusing myself and swearing this would be the last operation I would ever do. I considered quitting the game. I know it's extreme, but I felt really terrible.

1 month passes without me doing any op, and suddenly I find a video from a DPS POV for the last phase. And I decide to try again.

Next try was a full guild run, without any wipe.

It was 6 months ago. I am now running HM ops and do little to no solo content at all. :D

Runs can be really horrifying for newbies.

Edit to add this, didn't realize how long that text was.

TL;DR : elitist ruins my very first operation and makes me cry. :p

Edited by XaheyaKaal

Runs can be really horrifying for newbies.

Indeed, that's totally true. But they can also be fun with the right support. :)

A couple of weeks ago, I introduced a Guildie to Operations. He never ran anything like it, just a few FPs here and there. His gear was ok though, he went as far as he could on Oricon and wanted to see how hte story unfolds from there. As such, I had him tag along when I was called on fleet for a DF run.

I said my hellos, most of the group was known to me, we ran this or that Op together before. I said I had a friend who would like to try the Op, but that he would be a first timer. It was a 16m SM run and we were mostly overgeared, so why not? Everyone was quite enthusiastic and supportive, first they said ok, and then they added pointers on the fights and also on rotations.

We did it without a single wipe, just a couple deaths when a tank lagged on the last boss when the lightning tentacles came out of the ground, because we had to battle rez him and that took a bit.

In the end, my Guildie was so enthusiastic he began joining groups for Ops on his own, after watching a few videos beforehands. :)

Still, I had teams with people complaining for whatever small thing, and tbh I'd never take a Guildie who wants to practice on a similar group.

I can understnad your frustration, I saw ppl being called a noob or a bad so many times I lost the count, and most of those times it wasn't even their fault. :(

My suggestion to everyone getting treated that way is, do a bit of self critics. Did you made the fight harder than needed? Did you cause a wipe? If so, how?

Most of the times it's someone else's fault, like a tank that loses agro on the boss, a DPS that doesn't use his threat drop after ripping aggro or a healer that fails to cleanse a debuff. The real trick is to don't lose focus when you see a wipe coming, and try to understand what went wrong. Once you do, you know exactly if it's your fault or not.

Never, ever feel discouraged because of that. Just ignore the bad guys and go on. Nothing can fill for experience, and you can't build experience without trying. :cool:

snippity snip snip

This is a huge problem with endgame. Alot of people are elitist, they expect perfection, completely forgetting that everyone has a first run. Tbh there was no need to quit the group, no matter how bad you feel. Look at it like this:

That guy you referred to as random #1 was expecting perfection without allowing you to do the content. Guides and stuff only go so far (and wont teach you anything that you cant get from an experienced guild member). If he wants you to be perfect, he should let you run the mission, if hes not going to let you run a mission, then hes the noob as he has completely forgotten the 2-3 runs he spent learning the mission back when he was where you are.

I hope that bloke ended up on your ignore list, he certainly deserves it.

Edited by BobFredJohn

Guides and stuff only go so far (and wont teach you anything that you cant get from an experienced guild member). If he wants you to be perfect, he should let you run the mission, if hes not going to let you run a mission, then hes the noob as he has completely forgotten the 2-3 runs he spent learning the mission back when he was where you are.

I hope that bloke ended up on your ignore list, he certainly deserves it.

He definitely is on my ignore list and will stay there.

Someone who has never ran an op may know the mechanics perfectly from reading, but he can still screw up and probably will the first time. With the stress, the action, the unexpected...

Hmm sorry to hear that that guy acted so "fantastically" though on the flip side um if it was mostly a guild run, half I think you said were your guildies, why didn't he just get kicked from the group for being an ******?

The raid leader should have kicked him. The guy might have been a tank and it was a pretty new guild, but I don't know why he didn't do it to be honest. If it happened now he would be kicked after the second comment.

Kaon Under Siege, HM. Now, I've never done this FP before, amazingly enough. Queue pops pretty fast because I'm dragging my sisters' corruption sorc along with me. We've got a tank, didn't get a chance to look him over, because he dropped group as soon as we zoned in. That leaves myself, my sister, and our PUGged lightning sorc. After a moment's deliberation, we set off to face tank everything. I've got HK next to me, because none of my tank comps are geared and neither were any of my sister's; and lightning guy doesn't say a peep.

We're actually pulling at a decent clip, and stuff's melting pretty nicely, heals landing on me once in a while with my own bubble and self preservation picking up the slack, so we've got three barrages of lightning on just about everything.

Not too long before we get to the actual rakghoul part of the fp, we get a PT tank who asks what happened, and when filled in, says something along the lines of 1 mil per character, extra for guard.

Since I'm doing all the speaking in chat, I flat out tell him no, at which point he said he was joking and some groups have fallen for it before.

When the PT catches up, he slaps guard on heals and we proceed to melt the rest of the stuff. He's a competent tank, though I did pull aggro off him a couple times thanks to the wrath procced lightning strike and the generic shock I use as kiting filler.

I'm glad he said he was kidding about the payment part, because I was about set to kick and ignore him and queue again; we had the firepower to three-man Kaon, even if it was going to hurt like a truck in the process.

Edited by AdirahBerkovich

so operations were terrifying.

I didn't think I'd ever do operations. Firstly, I'm not all that keen on the whole concept of the boss fight. I have never really liked them in any game. You go from story-led gaming to an artificial arena seemingly desgined just for fighting a boss in, it's so gamey and takes me out of the story. They are seldom fun in my experience. And Ops are made of boss fights.

Secondly, after experiencing several PUG dramas in flashpoints, and reading this thread, I had no real desire to get into a situation where the stakes were even higher, and the screamy-cry tantrum-throwing players would be even more inclined to throw their toys from the pram at the first hiccup. I play to relax and have fun, not to get into slanging matches over nothing with random strangers.

But then my guild said they were going to have a Dread Fortress and Dread Palace run for anyone who had not yet finished off the Oricon story. I was reluctant, but seeing it was my guild (who are fantastic sorts and have been very good to me) and they needed more bodies to get the run going I said I'd do it. And I had a blast. Was really glad I gave it a go. Still not a massive fan of the whole boss-fight concept, but doing in a gang of friends with banter on teamspeak made it very enjoyable. No dramas when we wiped (and there were a few, but I can honestly say none of them were my fault :)) we just had a good laugh about it, not an hysterical argument and name-calling session.

Since then I've done Karagga's Palace and Explosive Conflict, and I'd like to do all the others at some point too. I'll never really be a raider, as I can't see myself doing these same ops over and over, that's just not my cup of tea. But I am very glad I did them.

Pretty sure I'll still never do a PUG Op, though. No thank you. I prefer reading this thread to being in it. :)

Edited by PLynkes

My suggestion to everyone getting treated that way is, do a bit of self critics. Did you made the fight harder than needed? Did you cause a wipe? If so, how?

Most of the times it's someone else's fault, like a tank that loses agro on the boss, a DPS that doesn't use his threat drop after ripping aggro or a healer that fails to cleanse a debuff. The real trick is to don't lose focus when you see a wipe coming, and try to understand what went wrong. Once you do, you know exactly if it's your fault or not.

That can be a bit hard in some fights. My ops progression group is currently stuck in Corruptor Zero on DF HM. I'm playing a tank on my shadow. We keep wiping, but because there's so much going on that I need to pay attention to, not the least of which is my rotation to keep my defensive buffs up, I can't tell if we're failing on the concussion mine, not taking the adds down fast enough, or if our healers are just not healing enough.

We'll be trying some changes to the group composition in the coming weeks, including me switching to healer, so perhaps I'll be able to get more insight to the fight then.

This is a huge problem with endgame. Alot of people are elitist, they expect perfection, completely forgetting that everyone has a first run.

I for one will gladly welcome newcomers into my ops groups and instruct them in the tactics. I do like to ensure a successful run though, which is why I usually don't organize ops myself unless I have at least three or four trusted friends with me.

Someone who has never ran an op may know the mechanics perfectly from reading, but he can still screw up and probably will the first time. With the stress, the action, the unexpected...

Especially in complex fights like Dread Council or Gate Commander Draxus. It took me more than ten runs through HM Draxus (SM is too easy and you don't really have to pay attention) to remember all of the waves, and I probably still couldn't write down the exact spawn compositions for all of them.

Edited by DataBeaver

That can be a bit hard in some fights. My ops progression group is currently stuck in Corruptor Zero on DF HM. I'm playing a tank on my shadow. We keep wiping, but because there's so much going on that I need to pay attention to, not the least of which is my rotation to keep my defensive buffs up, I can't tell if we're failing on the concussion mine, not taking the adds down fast enough, or if our healers are just not healing enough.

We'll be trying some changes to the group composition in the coming weeks, including me switching to healer, so perhaps I'll be able to get more insight to the fight then.

It's a bit off topic but in my experience with helping less geared/experienced groups it's usually either too low DPS on adds or mine getting over 3 stacks. There isn't that much healing going on there if you do it right, if you don't do it right not even healer healing over 4000EHPS will save you (and he'll be killed by adds most probably anyway).

Also don't think about your buffs too much. Handling adds and boss is much more important that your DR. With time you won't have to think about your rotation.

Edited by AAAAzrael

Despite not being agains't any rule I found this raid leaders behavior a bit rude.

I saw an advertisement for DP SM and whispered I wanna join as a healer. Just after me another guy joined and turned out we had 5 healers now. Dude after me offers politely leave as I was there first, but before I can type my response leader says: Nope, Adaliaya is leaving, she has lesser gear.

Which was not really true, we both had 180 gear, I just have 2 168 pieces for set bonus, which is enough for DP SM

This another dude had 42k HP as healer, while I had a bit under 38k. Inspection revealed bold truth: guy had stacked Vanguard Tank gear, and even had Fortitude Enhancements on it !

It was legacy gear thou so maybe he was using gear of his tank on new 55. But I still would not consider him more geared than myself, more on par as we had same gear level expect those two little armoring pieces, that for sure benefit me more than some extra willpower :(

But alas, dude himself was nice and polite, raid leader was a bit rude thou, but no biggie :)

Not too long before we get to the actual rakghoul part of the fp, we get a PT tank who asks what happened, and when filled in, says something along the lines of 1 mil per character, extra for guard.

Since I'm doing all the speaking in chat, I flat out tell him no, at which point he said he was joking and some groups have fallen for it before.

When the PT catches up, he slaps guard on heals and we proceed to melt the rest of the stuff. He's a competent tank, though I did pull aggro off him a couple times thanks to the wrath procced lightning strike and the generic shock I use as kiting filler.

I'm glad he said he was kidding about the payment part, because I was about set to kick and ignore him and queue again; we had the firepower to three-man Kaon, even if it was going to hurt like a truck in the process.

I would have booted his ***, and reported him. NO ONE should take advantage of groups like that, even in jest.

Of course, most of my characters are tanks, so I don't usually have that problem, but still...what was that guy THINKING?

Despite not being agains't any rule I found this raid leaders behavior a bit rude.

I saw an advertisement for DP SM and whispered I wanna join as a healer. Just after me another guy joined and turned out we had 5 healers now. Dude after me offers politely leave as I was there first, but before I can type my response leader says: Nope, Adaliaya is leaving, she has lesser gear.

Which was not really true, we both had 180 gear, I just have 2 168 pieces for set bonus, which is enough for DP SM

This another dude had 42k HP as healer, while I had a bit under 38k. Inspection revealed bold truth: guy had stacked Vanguard Tank gear, and even had Fortitude Enhancements on it !

It was legacy gear thou so maybe he was using gear of his tank on new 55. But I still would not consider him more geared than myself, more on par as we had same gear level expect those two little armoring pieces, that for sure benefit me more than some extra willpower :(

But alas, dude himself was nice and polite, raid leader was a bit rude thou, but no biggie :)

Im sorry...did I read that right? vanguard tank gear as a healer?

If you want any tips for that, I've got a few:

1. He doesn't have an enrage timer, so everyone speccing AoE DPS makes it much easier

2. He has an audible queue every time he does his anti-grav field (it changes, but he always says something)

3. Its not nightmare mode, you can use force pull on the big guy to bring him in, and you can use hard CC to stop them casting temporarily

Oh and you can LoS the adds by hiding behind a pillar to make them bunch up and easier to AoE down

Edited by TACeMossie

ok

what is it with tanks starting pulls with a taunt? I'm seeing this all the time now in pugs. All your taunts do is put you like 5% above whoever has highest aggro on the table....and if everyone is at zero on that mob, then you're wasting it congratulations.

In fact it's 10% in melee.. 30% at range

I would have booted his ***, and reported him. NO ONE should take advantage of groups like that, even in jest.

Of course, most of my characters are tanks, so I don't usually have that problem, but still...what was that guy THINKING?

lol. overreaction: maximum.

1m to play with someone else? "extra for guard"? if you cant tell that's a joke, you're a joke.