Raptus 8man HM - bugs that make this fight very very hard

well .. we went in today and tried to kill him (first time since 2.5 is out). Out come was that we didn't kill him but we encountered following bugs:

- melee character getting instal killed if force leap towards boss form ramp.

- if someone is combat rezed from ramp they get stuck below and are out of combat

- one healer get teleported to the entrance and got killed buy his big round AoE (healer was behind me far far away from it)

- tanks getting thrown up in the air with full health and then insta killed.

- tank throw up in the air from middle of platform and throw him off the plafrom so his body was at the entrance

- tanks running thru boss when he cast his wide AoE push - but even when far behind him, tank was still pulled back and pushed out of healers reach.

- boss pushed tank off the platfrom (not thru Lift Slash when he gets tanks up in the air but thru his normal push) when tank just slightly outside of the middle of the platform. He got insta killed. to combat that he started to tank boss against raised throne which helped in phase 1 and 2 but in phase 3 that would not work any more.

- one tank got killed and other tank was solo tanking. boss has thrown this tank up in the air, placed his big red Aoe on the ground and then tank dropped straight in it. Usually this skill send you to the edge of the platform. this time it was straight up and down .....

Anyone else encountered strange behaviour ?

we killed him already few times so tonight was like *** is happening .....

Getting really annoyed with fights with so many bugs (even if some of the above are not bugs).

The fight definitely got buggy since 2.5. We cleared it, but it was a bugfest.

As you stated, leaping to the boss when he is near the now removed ramp, results in insta-death(0 damage)

Crazy high knock-backs. Not even sure how I got one, as I never had agro and I was never in his cleave, but I was shot up crazy high in the air. Like literally a 5 sec flight. Bizarre behavior for sure.

Most annoying is the insta-death due to leaping though.

I can confirm that there seem to be some bugs in this fight, and as long as they are not fixed, we found the following workarounds:

Pretty obvious, don't leap towards the boss. You can also position the boss next to the throne and have your melees always stand on the throne, but I am not yet fully convinced of this tactic.

- tank throw up in the air from middle of platform and throw him off the plafrom so his body was at the entrance

Those two may be the same bug. I have a theory that the knockback is similar to the Savrip boss in Lost Island, so if your tanks stand as close to the boss as possible, and are always in the center of the platform, this should not happen. Not entirely sure though.

- tanks running thru boss when he cast his wide AoE push - but even when far behind him, tank was still pulled back and pushed out of healers reach.

This always happens due to lag. Make sure that your tanks are either stopping or hitting spacebar after exiting the AoE. That way, the client sends the current position to the server and you won't be knocked back.

In any case, the boss seems very susceptible to RNG right now, and I also have the feeling that it got more buggy with 2.5. :(

We cleared Raptus in HM 8M last week, and apart from the crazy step of instant death (never use an ability jump that will cross the step), we didn't notice any additional odd behaviours.

As for some of your other observations, here is my take on the mechanics:

- one healer get teleported to the entrance and got killed buy his big round AoE (healer was behind me far far away from it)

I believe the "stick" portion of the "stick and ball" AoE has unlimited range, so if the stick was lined up with the bridge, it would nuke anyone running back from the bridge.

I believe the boss casts Driving Thrust immediately on the tank who was knocked in the air. As a healer on this fight, I have observed tanks being hit for 36K damage. Keep the tank with aggro pegged at 100% HP to avoid the spike deaths.

Anyone thrown off the end of the platform will have their body appear at the far end of the bridge.

Make sure your tanks jump as they move behind the boss. This forces a server/client character position update so the server knows that the tank is out of the AoE. This is also the trick to use to ensure the server knows you are out of Anti-Gravity Field on the Corruptor Zero fight in Dread Fortress, or any other AoE for that matter.

- one tank got killed and other tank was solo tanking. boss has thrown this tank up in the air, placed his big red Aoe on the ground and then tank dropped straight in it. Usually this skill send you to the edge of the platform. this time it was straight up and down .....

If the tank was dead center in the middle of the platform when he was knocked in the air, he will go straight up and down. I believe the amount of lateral movement the tank will experience is directly related to how far away from the center of the platform they are when they leave the ground. This makes tanking the boss far from mid a very dangerous position. This is essentially the same mechanic as the Project Sav-Rak boss fight in the Lost Island flashpoint.

I hope this helps.

I believe the key to making this boss less messy is tanking him on the square in the middle of the room with tanks on two sides of the square and DPS and healers on third side of it (can be throne side or entrance side - no difference). With good coordination boss stays in place at all times, tanks can freely off-taunt when the other tank gets low or is out of position. DPS and heals are safe from any kind of AOE. Any other way to tank him I have seen or tried gets incredibly messy. Even if tank goes down for whatever reason still keep him there- you can then run to square very quickly after being knocked into air and turn him away insatntly while not cleaving people coming from the entrance after being teleported. I successfully solo-tanked this from about 35% so it works for sure.

I believe the boss casts Driving Thrust immediately on the tank who was knocked in the air. As a healer on this fight, I have observed tanks being hit for 36K damage. Keep the tank with aggro pegged at 100% HP to avoid the spike deaths.

Make sure your tanks jump as they move behind the boss. This forces a server/client character position update so the server knows that the tank is out of the AoE. This is also the trick to use to ensure the server knows you are out of Anti-Gravity Field on the Corruptor Zero fight in Dread Fortress, or any other AoE for that matter.

I haven't had that tank instant death after knockup problem but one of our tanks had, then he said something about not jumping (I didn't listen all that much at that moment was busy Healing) that seemed to have fixed it.

(would explain why i didn't have instant death Problems since i don't jump but stop moving as soon as I'm out for most AOE mechanics)

(when he does that 120° AOE we usually try to move through him then lag comes into play... to cause the system to refresh your position you can either jump or stop)

well .. we went in today and tried to kill him (first time since 2.5 is out). Out come was that we didn't kill him but we encountered following bugs:

Sick of dieing to this. And yes, i know I have the option to not leap at the boss, but..... Watchman Sentinel.... Leap = Focus

• 1 month later...

The most annoying part of this fight is that sometimes he random switches target even if "off" tank has taunted him. Happened to us several times yesterday. Especially after the 2nd challenge this seemed too happen alot.

When 1 tank gets knocked up into the air the other tank obviously taunts him, but the second the tank that got knockedup lands again, he goes straight back to him causing lots of problems if he is about to do a special ability like the knockback, red circle, teleporting away someone.

1 tank getting knocked up in the air while the other tank gets teleported to entrance, funny thing.

The knockback ability he does...showing he will do it towards 1 way and when the tank has run trough him to avoid it....he knocks back 2 tanks and 2 melees cause the graphics showed he would do the ability the other way but decided to throw it on all melees isntead, happened several times.

Going back 2 weeks we had no problems killing this boss, clean kill, no issues, no deaths or anything. But this week has been ridiculous with all this "random" things happening all the time.

Considering he hits like a elephant on steroids i dont think it should be like the way he acts atm. Much to random things happening, random targeting people, teleporting doing knock up to tanks at the same time, its just too random to be able to figure out a working tactic for him.

The most annoying part of this fight is that sometimes he random switches target even if "off" tank has taunted him. Happened to us several times yesterday. Especially after the 2nd challenge this seemed too happen alot.

When 1 tank gets knocked up into the air the other tank obviously taunts him, but the second the tank that got knockedup lands again, he goes straight back to him causing lots of problems if he is about to do a special ability like the knockback, red circle, teleporting away someone.

about switching target check this http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=712283

I think the patch on the 10th messed this fight up seriously on HM. We have had this guy on farm then we come in after the patch and all of sudden his deadly slash is hitting our tanks/melee dps who are behind him when it goes off. Also noticed in my combat logs as the main tank he was using driving thrust on me when I was In melee range 2-3 times in a row for roughly 20k damage a hit. After several attempts of this everything seemed to be working again until his force execution glitched and he channeled it while moving.

I also believe something has changed in the latest patch (on Monday 10th Feb). We'd been doing Raptus every week with little difficulty for months, then Tuesday we wiped twice on him at the end of the evening (we'd already done all of DF HM) -- we assumed it was because people were getting tired and we'd easily finish him on Wednesday. It actually took us over 2 hours on Wednesday to beat him, and only once we'd noticed the weird aggro switches to the person that had been kiting him during the Challenges phase and watch aggro like hawks.

Whichever developer has been fiddling with that event, stop it, and put it back the way it was.

Edited by Ancaglon

I also believe something has changed in the latest patch (on Monday 10th Feb). We'd been doing Raptus every week with little difficulty for months, then Tuesday we wiped twice on him at the end of the evening (we'd already done all of DF HM) -- we assumed it was because people were getting tired and we'd easily finish him on Wednesday. It actually took us over 2 hours on Wednesday to beat him, and only once we'd noticed the weird aggro switches to the person that had been kiting him during the Challenges phase and watch aggro like hawks.

Whichever developer has been fiddling with that event, stop it, and put it back the way it was.

The aggro switches aren't new, but 2.6 did exacerbate the issue and it seems like Raptus' knockback/knock up are pushing people further. We had to change how we face him and where we position our group because we were having repeated issues with tanks being launched off the side from slap-bang in the middle (tanking just far enough past the Stair of Death™ to avoid gibbing our Marauder, facing sides so that ranged can stay near crystals, same as pretty much everyone else).

Meh, the seemingly random target swaps are the only thing keeping this fight interesting. I still remember the greatest one I was a part of in 16 man where a dps pulled at the wrong time and he did his gigantic purple sweeping knockback (whatever the f it's called) and 6 out of the 10 dps got knocked off the side lol.

Meh, the seemingly random target swaps are the only thing keeping this fight interesting. I still remember the greatest one I was a part of in 16 man where a dps pulled at the wrong time and he did his gigantic purple sweeping knockback (whatever the f it's called) and 6 out of the 10 dps got knocked off the side lol.

And you still cleared, right?

And you still cleared, right?

Yup. Seems he doesn't have a hard enrage lol

Not sure if that one was the funniest moment I've seen in these new ops or when a dps started combat with calphayus before the tanks were ready, half the raid got the debuff and then died to the red circle right afterwards. Luckily we had both tanks still up so we just taunted him back and forth for a bit while the operatives rezzed everyone, then downed the boss lol.

Edited by VoW_LugNut

The aggro switches aren't new, but 2.6 did exacerbate the issue and it seems like Raptus' knockback/knock up are pushing people further.
It's not "2.6". We did him with no problems last week (2.6 dropped on Tuesday 4th Feb). We also had not seen Raptus change target to someone during the Force Execution cast, and that caused at least 2 wipes.

About the push, this week my co-tank got knocked right out of the circle from the square in the middle of the area at least 3 times, and I only avoided such a fate one time because I hit one of the archways to the Trials.

Edited by Ancaglon

I like the fight despite his "bugs". I think its a way to make a boss more appealing by inserting randomfactors in it. He is still killable and besides that its the funniest fight i've seen in a long time. He truly deserves the knickname "Troll".

We got a 3rd set of Datacrons/Holocrons but never a 3rd challenge, it was kind of weird.

He also did a Rising Slash instantly after force execution lmfao.

I remember that, I almost landed in the Force Execution red circle :D. I found the video of that fight. After working and raiding everyday, I have reached my limit of DP/DF. I was so bored and sick of this operation I just wanted to get it done. Then we get to council and the bosses reset ... FML!

Edited by Leafy_Bug