A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

Daemonson

It's already been mentioned - mechanics in the game to keep the economy balanced. Very important part of any MMO. Just because we haven't seen the hyperinflation before the change doesn't mean we wouldn't see it soon enough, just like your list above supposes what is going to happen, but I have yet to see any change in my GF pop times.

BJ

If they're looking for ways to destroy credits, why not give people stuff they want and charge an arm and a leg for it? This is exactly they approach they took early on when they put in a crystal vendor that sold some colors for 250-750k and whites for a million.

People are clamoring for cooler vehicles and ready to bleed to get better looking outfits. Charge a couple mil per vehicle and at least a mil per complete outfit.

Why not do those? Why choose to implement something that so severely impacts game play and fun factor instead?

Edited by DarthTHC

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they're looking for ways to destroy credits, why not give people stuff they want and charge an arm and a leg for it? This is exactly they approach they took early on when they put in a crystal vendor that sold some colors for 25-=750k and whites for a million.

People are clamoring for cooler vehicles and ready to bleed to get better looking outfits. Charge a couple mil per vehicle and at least a mil per complete outfit.

Why not do those? Why choose to implement something that so severely impacts game play and fun factor instead?

because that's what the cartel shop is for.... they get money instead of destroy in game currency

Also my other question, why keep this if the community is largely opposed to it.

But what if a large part of the community is ok with this change and would like it to stay? As evidenced by this thread alone, there are people on both sides of this debate, and the devs cannot please everyone. They have chosen to fix a bug and not make the rest of the game match the bug.

I think most folks agree in general:

• Repair costs are needed in MMO's (Not the issue - increase is the topic)
  • The "Fix" or whatever just happened jacked up the costs dramatically.
  • New costs are not clearly understood and depend on the type of gear.
  • Casual gamers and F2P folks are going to be impacted the most.
  • Progression guilds will most likely move forward no matter the cost.

The FALLOUT of this change:

• PUG's for FP/OPS are going to decrease due to cost of doing them w/o guildies or friends
  • HOSTILE FP/OPS for PUGS will make the game generally less fun to play.
  • Less people are going to do Daily FP/OPS and this is going to have a negative impace on the game in whole.
  • Having less seasoned players running FP/OPS makes it harder for new players to learn things w/o guildies.
  • RAID Teams will most likely start capping number of tries on certain OPS due to cost limitations.

I don't mean to come across as an elitest or what not, but to be frank I'm not taking a chance on NOOB's costing me more $$ by running GF based ques without full premade groups (friends & guildies). I've been fortunate enough to make some okay money crafting, but that doesn't mean I'm going to blow what money I have on repair bills as I don't really need the gear in a majority of the HM OPS. (New Content coming soon I won't mind burning credits, but I'm saving money for that content) Right now I've stopped running GF ques with my geared Tank, Healer and two DPS unless I'm doing premade groups.

SUGGESTION: Correct the cost change and put it back to what it was (Or close) so everyone is seeing roughly the same cost as a week ago. With the new content coming down the pipe pretty quickly here I think BW has a big fork in the road here. Go LEFT and keep things "As-Is" and cost the game more players or go RIGHT and correct the change made to Pre-1.7 levels in order to keep the already unstable user base a little more "happy" until new stuff arrives.

This, finally someone making sense.

If they're looking for ways to destroy credits, why not give people stuff they want and charge an arm and a leg for it? This is exactly they approach they took early on when they put in a crystal vendor that sold some colors for 250-750k and whites for a million.

Because it was a legit fix. And with it probably had some reason to do econimcally as well.

But what if a large part of the community is ok with this change and would like it to stay? As evidenced by this thread alone, there are people on both sides of this debate, and the devs cannot please everyone. They have chosen to fix a bug and not make the rest of the game match the bug.

Of those of you in this thread defending this bug fix, how many at any time before this bug fix went in did you say,

"The repair costs are too **** low! I demand you triple them at least!"

Hmm?

i'm sure they'll feel that 5% of playerbase who hardly ever spend anything on this game really really bad man

True enough. They've lost far more than that since launch so I'm certain they won't care. However, this will lead to a much more toxic community that will inevitably turn off new players who will be vote kicked from GF missions. There's NO good that'll come from this. None.

Of those of you in this thread defending this bug fix, how many at any time before this bug fix went in did you say,

Hmm?

As someone who played at launch and did prog raiding at launch. when they lowered the repair costs the first thing out of my mouth was "Wow this is f*cking stupid"

I HATED how low they got the costs down to, and now that they are back up, i still don't care about the high costs, just like i didn't before (BTW i play tanks so i have to repair more then most)

Hmm?

Me?

I've always had a 40-50k repair cost, welcome to having non moddable BH/DG.

As someone who played at launch and did prog raiding at launch. when they lowered the repair costs the first thing out of my mouth was "Wow this is f*cking stupid"

I HATED how low they got the costs down to, and now that they are back up, i still don't care about the high costs, just like i didn't before (BTW i play tanks so i have to repair more then most)

In agreement. I laughed so hard the first time I saw a 5k repair bill on my tank after whiping buggy *** NM SOA 30 times.

Me?

Question to both of you then.

Since you felt the repair costs were too low, you voluntarily destroyed 200-300 thousand credits per night of raiding due to wipes to compensate, right?

I mean, if you felt that strongly about it... :rolleyes:

In agreement. I laughed so hard the first time I saw a 5k repair bill on my tank after whiping buggy *** NM SOA 30 times.

OH GOD NM SOA DONT REMIND ME!!!

I still remember when my guild finally downed him after we should have downed him like 20x before that.... the first thing out of everyones mouth was "NEVER AGAIN UNTIL THEY FIX THIS ****"

"Run dailies" Is not a fix for this problem. Stop being fanboys and jump on support for the fix of this patch. It hurts you too whether you believe it or not. Not having to worry about repair costs was a very good thing for many people. We want that again and people would be willing to quit over it. Some people don't like to run dailies. I personally run them every other day, but I don't want that money to be wasted on something that shouldn't even be there, like high repair costs. Fix it, Fix it now. It is clear what the playerbase wants. Don't keep us waiting.

OH GOD NM SOA DONT REMIND ME!!!

I still remember when my guild finally downed him after we should have downed him like 20x before that.... the first thing out of everyones mouth was "NEVER AGAIN UNTIL THEY FIX THIS ****"

We 2 shotted NM Karraga for the server first and we were all gun ho and charged into EV. It went good till Soa. Those double ticking invisible lightning balls + him randomly grabbing a tank into a pylon then dropping him down the instance for insta death. Yeah no thanks. Bring on new SWTOR repair costs.

Me?

Umn, there are no non-modable dread guard. Even the belts and such are mod able at that level. Part of the reason even outside of progression to farm Vorgath in NM EC mode, he drops DG belts (if I remember correctly).

I know folks tho do HM Drouks and tanks then switch to NM for vorgath just for the belts. That and because vorgath is a pushover in any mode.

In BH land, only the belts, bracers and offhand are non-modable and only if you buy the ones from the BH vendor (in the case of the offhands, the MK-2 and such ones that drop are all modable)

Question to both of you then.

Since you felt the repair costs were too low, you voluntarily destroyed 200-300 thousand credits per night of raiding due to wipes to compensate, right?

I mean, if you felt that strongly about it... :rolleyes:

every night i raided meant i wasn't doing dailies or making money in anyway, meanin in a way, i was destroying 200-300k of credits, so, yes in a way i was

They're hell-bent to push people out of the game. Not worth arguing over.

I have yet to see one reasonable answer to the reasonable question one would expect an active supporter to be able to answer: How does this change BENEFIT the game?

There seem to be a lot of drawbacks to the change:

• Fewer flashpoints being run
  • Fewer operations being run
  • Fewer risks being taken overall
  • People unsubscribing

So, supporters, please, tell me what great BENEFIT to the game comes from this change that overcomes all those drawbacks.

As has been stated before, any credit sink that removes credits from the economy reduces inflation. Whether or not a higher credit sink was needed can be debated.

Also, those players who previously were paying much more for repairs are now paying a comparable amount to those that were paying a bugged lesser amount.

Those are two of the benefits.

every night i raided meant i wasn't doing dailies or making money in anyway, meanin in a way, i was destroying 200-300k of credits, so, yes in a way i was

OK so really you weren't because every day you raid today you're not doing dailies too, just like then, but the repair costs are higher now.

So you really didn't feel all that strongly about the repair costs being too low?

We 2 shotted NM Karraga for the server first and we were all gun ho and charged into EV. It went good till Soa. Those double ticking invisible lightning balls + him randomly grabbing a tank into a pylon then dropping him down the instance for insta death. Yeah no thanks. Bring on new SWTOR repair costs.

Basically the same thing here.

Double ticking lightning balls, invisible lightning balls, throwing people as platforms started to drop, having to destroy those pylons in a specific order otherwise he'd still be invulnerable after the platforms dropped, tank getting mind trapped and soa resetting........ *shudder* no thx